The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

NHL Entry Draft Targets

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'd like to see the Ducks just play with all centers, left wings, and left defensemen.  

In seriousness, get all of the picks and prospects you can.  I'm pretty down on Rakell.  I think he had a couple of good seasons but is too reliant on others to create space for him.  Maybe he plays alongside a guy like Zegras and gets back to a 30-goal guy, but I'd be just as happy with trading him for future assets.

Wiesblatt is a RW who converted to C, so ideally you can play him both, or whatever you may need in 2-3 years. I really like Amirov, I know BM never drafts Russian guys and it’s always a bit risky with the KHL, but dude has it. 

45 minutes ago, Fisix said:

his skating reminds me of a really slow Kase.  he's basically the quickest syrup in a bowl of molasses.  plus, for whatever reason, if you look at the screen shot from youtube (before the video plays), it looks like his eyes aren't tracking with each other.  that could easily be a video encoding/frame issue, but if not?...

he's not fast enough.  if he gets out of the AHL ever, i'll be surprised.  and, if whatever he's doing skating-wise that reminds me of Kase ends up with him getting head-shots as much as Kase, he won't last long if he does make it to the show.

I don’t think he’s slow, I don’t know where you’re seeing that he’s slow, all his scouting reports say he has wheels. he’s got a weird stride, but that’s coach able, he’s also not tiny and weak, he’s pretty tough and physical for his size. 

59 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t think he’s slow, I don’t know where you’re seeing that he’s slow, all his scouting reports say he has wheels. he’s got a weird stride, but that’s coach able, he’s also not tiny and weak, he’s pretty tough and physical for his size. 

This sounds like Emerson Etem's scouting profile. Please tell me he has better vision and on-ice awareness.

On 10/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, dtsdlaw said:

Trade idea: Rakell + Guhle + #27 for DeAngelo + #22 + Lias Andersson. Would you do it?

To me, it depends what the Ducks do with #6. If the Ducks get Drysdale then probably no and I'd want them to focus more using their assets to get scoring. Otherwise, this a trade where I think that they Ducks are come out slightly ahead, especially if Andersson has gotten his act together. So, I don't know if the Rangers would do it lol.

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

How would y’all feel about trading Rakell or Silfverberg to Montreal for 16th Overal + prospect 

With that, we could potentially walk away from this draft with 

Rossi 

Amirov 

Wiesblatt/Wallinder 

Niemela 

just from the first two rounds. 

Unfortunately, we all know Murray's stance on Russians and can cross Amirov off any Ducks draft board.

If the Ducks do not take Holtz, then I really want them to target a pure shooter later on. Guys like Perreault, Peterka or trading up to get Gunler or Quinn would be tops on my list. As far as trading for the 16th overall pick, If Rakell is going to Montreal then they better be throwing in a very good prospect because Rakell should get you higher than the 16th by himself. I'm not too knowledgeable of their prospect pool outside of Caufiled and Romanov.

The more I start reading more into Ottawa and Detroit, the more I think that Drysdale has a better shot of being available at #6 than a couple of months ago. Rossi/Perfetti going to Detroit and Ottawa taking Raymond would in all likelihood make Drysdale a Duck. 

If Wallinder is available, then I'm sure Murray would love to get his hands on the 6'4 Swedish defensemen to make try and atone for trading Pettersson and drafting Larsson lol

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'd like to see the Ducks just play with all centers, left wings, and left defensemen.  

In seriousness, get all of the picks and prospects you can.  I'm pretty down on Rakell.  I think he had a couple of good seasons but is too reliant on others to create space for him.  Maybe he plays alongside a guy like Zegras and gets back to a 30-goal guy, but I'd be just as happy with trading him for future assets.

Rakell was great up until he had that appendix? issue.  He's been relatively mediocre since, with some flashes of greatness, but too few and too far between.  his personal morale has slid with the team's.  

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

just going off the extensive video i linked to (and i think you posted originally).  the entire game is slow, wherever it is he's playing - he's just the quickest of a bunch of players too slow to matter.  the stuff they pointed to as tough and physical were not.  it's not his stride that's weak, it's his whole skating strategy - he's going to get reamed the first time he runs into any kind of decent player with a little bit of speed and some weight (unless he already has, and that's why his eyes don't point in the same direction anymore).

i know i'm being particularly strong about this, but i absolutely do not see what you're seeing in this kid.  he's shiny a bit because of who he's playing against, and i don't see potential to be trained out of... what he is.  he's a... a really slow Jared Boll.  

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This sounds like Emerson Etem's scouting profile. Please tell me he has better vision and on-ice awareness.

“Wiesblatt’s puck-hounding skills and ability to find players in open space or even while defended who can put a good shot on net is absolutely next-level stuff and served Prince Albert well in their 2018 run for the memorial cup, and in 2019 it’s only gotten better as he’s taken up the reigns as one of the three leaders in points and goals for the Green and Black. The way he looks off defenders in the notoriously stingy WHL, combined with a shocking level of skating speed, he’s able to force defenses to react to him rather than him react to how the defense, which has served the Raiders well. The scariest part of that speed is how he uses it; he absolutely can blow by defenders if he so chooses, but his favorite thing to do is quickly adjust speed and tempo in his skating to keep them guessing what he’s doing and where he’s going, and then open up further space for his fellow linemates to go occupy. And that’s before you see his pretty strong shot that he can get the best use of around the hashmarks. When he’s on his horse, he’s next to unstoppable.

Of course, the part that makes him such a delight to watch for some scouts is that Wiesblatt’s not just an offensive dynamo; his physicality and willingness to take a hit is what makes him so dangerous, and his ability to get back on defense and play the body has made him one of those players who’s a nightmare to play against, and can get under the opponent’s skin. Not necessarily as an intentional, Marchand-type pest, but he can frustrate teams to the point of getting players entirely off their game to go after him. Which he’ll happily take and encourage. He’ll also happily toss a fist or a shove into a defender to stir some trouble up if the opportunity presents itself.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stanleycupofchowder.com/platform/amp/2020/6/1/21251144/draft-profiles-2k20-ozzy-wiesblatt-prince-albert-raiders-hockey-boston-bruins

Wiesblatt seams to be a lot more of a complete player than Etem ever was, Etem was scouted as a Grabner type speedster with a shot. 
Wiesblatt seems a lot shiftier, way more physical and has playmaking ability.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fisix said:

just going off the extensive video i linked to (and i think you posted originally).  the entire game is slow, wherever it is he's playing - he's just the quickest of a bunch of players too slow to matter.  the stuff they pointed to as tough and physical were not.  it's not his stride that's weak, it's his whole skating strategy - he's going to get reamed the first time he runs into any kind of decent player with a little bit of speed and some weight (unless he already has, and that's why his eyes don't point in the same direction anymore).

i know i'm being particularly strong about this, but i absolutely do not see what you're seeing in this kid.  he's shiny a bit because of who he's playing against, and i don't see potential to be trained out of... what he is.  he's a... a really slow Jared Boll.  

I don’t know how you’re seeing that, it’s the WHL and he was playing on a more defensive team. Which the video mentions. This video isn’t the only report of him being fast. His speed isn’t even the only part of his game. He’s smart, physical, has great playmaking ability and a good shot. Even if he isn’t Barzal, look at Konecny, who he drawers comparisons too. You’re Boll remark makes me feel like you’re being sarcastic, but I can’t tell. 

47 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Rakell was great up until he had that appendix? issue.  He's been relatively mediocre since, with some flashes of greatness, but too few and too far between.  his personal morale has slid with the team's.  

Rakell at least has a pretty cheap contract, so even though he hasn't blossomed into the first line winger we were hoping he might be, he pretty much performs up to his contract as a second line winger. Heck, he was on 50+ point pace last season if they had played the rest of the games. That's pretty good for a guy we're only paying $3.8MM. That could actually make him more valuable this season considering the flat cap situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nieder said:

Rakell at least has a pretty cheap contract, so even though he hasn't blossomed into the first line winger we were hoping he might be, he pretty much performs up to his contract as a second line winger. Heck, he was on 50+ point pace last season if they had played the rest of the games. That's pretty good for a guy we're only paying $3.8MM. That could actually make him more valuable this season considering the flat cap situation.

I like Rakell a lot, I think he just has to work harder on the ice, I felt like he was just drifting around way too much, he has insanely good hands, just needs to get the puck and go to work in the offensive zone 

Today is the day....Who will our Ducks Select in this year's NHL Draft...Can't wait...WOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I like Rakell a lot, I think he just has to work harder on the ice, I felt like he was just drifting around way too much, he has insanely good hands, just needs to get the puck and go to work in the offensive zone 

One of my favorite guys and I would hate to see him in a different sweater. However, I don't see him re-signing here long-term when his current contract is done after 2021-22, and I also don't see him as a guy who brings a ton of on-ice leadership the way a Silfverberg does. That (lack of) effort you mention here is an issue. He also has the hold-out history that GMBM seems to hold grudges over. With his contract being so cost-effective and the state of the team being what it is, this summer seems like a really ideal time to move him for pieces that will improve the team beyond 2021-2022. Again, I don't want to see him go, but I think GMBM should really try to bundle him in a package that would get a key building block (or several) in return.

The Rangers seem like the most natural fit to me. Rakell has played great with Zibanejad in the past for Sweden and they could go Panarin-Zibanejad-Rakell as their top line. We also need a RHD PP QB, and DeAngelo is an RFA and is buried on their depth chart behind Trouba and Fox.

Edited by dtsdlaw

44 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

One of my favorite guys and I would hate to see him in a different sweater. However, I don't see him re-signing here long-term when his current contract is done after 2021-22, and I also don't see him as a guy who brings a ton of on-ice leadership the way a Silfverberg does. That (lack of) effort you mention here is an issue. He also has the hold-out history that GMBM seems to hold grudges over. With his contract being so cost-effective and the state of the team being what it is, this summer seems like a really ideal time to move him for pieces that will improve the team beyond 2021-2022. Again, I don't want to see him go, but I think GMBM should really try to bundle him in a package that would get a key building block (or several) in return.

The Rangers seem like the most natural fit to me. Rakell has played great with Zibanejad in the past for Sweden and they could go Panarin-Zibanejad-Rakell as their top line. We also need a RHD PP QB, and DeAngelo is an RFA and is buried on their depth chart behind Trouba and Fox.

I wouldn’t hate that move, I’d also hate to love Rakell as he’s been one of the few guys who can put the puck in the nets. I do wonder what Rakell extension looks like. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Ugh. Why does it have to be in 5 1/2 hours??? Why couldn't it have been at 12pm eastern time lol why so late in the day!?

Is there going to be a stream? 

59 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Is there going to be a stream? 

probably could find one on youtube? I think nbcsn will be streaming it.

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I wouldn’t hate that move, I’d also hate to love Rakell as he’s been one of the few guys who can put the puck in the nets. I do wonder what Rakell extension looks like. 

right now, it'd be a straight extension of his current salary/year.  can't really pay him less for the position he's supposed to be filling, but sends a message by not paying him more.  and, even if we're being hard/pragmatic with what he's given so far, we don't really have a solid replacement yet, whether he's considered top 3 OR top 6.

it's one of our erratic areas, where neither the team nor the player really see eye to eye on the best situation to allow them to shine, what support they need to do so, and what's reasonable to expect (on both sides of the equation).

it's something we've suffered from since Perry couldn't really swing with the regular season punches and Kesler couldn't get his hip to work.  we still had issues, but our golden time was when the shutdown line was (or at least seemed like) the best in the league.  once that magic faded, all the other warts started to matter.

just looked at CapFriendly and noticed we have 9 guys in the NHL roster all saying they can play center, 3 who list that as their only position.

if we extend that out to the AHL roster, we have 15+9 = 24 guys all saying they can play center, and 9+3 = 12 who list that as their sole position.

lol, Nick Deslauriers and Sonny Milano are the only NHLers that admit they don't play center.  Brayden Tracey is the only AHLer whose name I recognize who is doing the same.

i think we need to see a bit more commitment to position than that.  or at least some kind of reality check on skill.

12 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Domi and a 3rd to CBJ for Anderson

that seems like a huge risk on Montreal’s end. 

Yeah....although I've heard him not getting along with some of the management...so, this might be a chemistry/personality trade.

And man, the more i read about Holtz....the more I do want us to take him. Not over Rossi or like Stutzle, Byfield, or Lafrenierre lol....but definitely over Drysdale or Raymond. Right shot. Zegras left shot. Hard skater who can basically score from anywhere and has a shoot first/finisher mentality....Zegras can put the puck basically anywhere in the zone.

I dunno...I guess I feel like Holtz is the true high risk/high reward type of guy. I guess we probably do need better all around players like a Raymond or Perfetti....but....I don't remember anyone thinking Getz or Perry were some masters in the defensive zone when we picked them lol

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah....although I've heard him not getting along with some of the management...so, this might be a chemistry/personality trade.

And man, the more i read about Holtz....the more I do want us to take him. Not over Rossi or like Stutzle, Byfield, or Lafrenierre lol....but definitely over Drysdale or Raymond. Right shot. Zegras left shot. Hard skater who can basically score from anywhere and has a shoot first/finisher mentality....Zegras can put the puck basically anywhere in the zone.

I dunno...I guess I feel like Holtz is the true high risk/high reward type of guy. I guess we probably do need better all around players like a Raymond or Perfetti....but....I don't remember anyone thinking Getz or Perry were some masters in the defensive zone when we picked them lol

I edge towards Holtz for the same reason and that Murray’s comments about shooters make him the more likely pick because if Drysdale is gone. If Murray passed on Drysdale go take Holtz then I wouldn’t mind that because of next year’s draft. Drysdale just better be a game changing defensemen lol.

Murray didn’t draft Getzlaf and Perry but I don’t think he can mess up #6 since he can get Drysdale, Holtz or Raymond.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I edge towards Holtz for the same reason and that Murray’s comments about shooters make him the more likely pick because if Drysdale is gone. If Murray passed on Drysdale go take Holtz then I wouldn’t mind that because of next year’s draft. Drysdale just better be a game changing defensemen lol.

Murray didn’t draft Getzlaf and Perry but I don’t think he can mess up #6 since he can get Drysdale, Holtz or Raymond.

Right, it was the other Murray! :P that's gonna be my attitude with Drysdale as well if we get him.....

5 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Already watching the pre-coverage in NBCSN with an emergency stash of booze ready to go in case Murray does something very stupid.

Lundell or Quinn are my true Murray worries here..... and Sanderson to an extent....

Edited by Jasoaks

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Already watching the pre-coverage in NBCSN with an emergency stash of booze ready to go in case Murray does something very stupid.

Well I’ve the same contingency plan as well. Crossing my fingers and keeping my bottle opener close by ! 

I have a feeling Drysdale and Sanderson will be available at #6, and Murray will take 1 of them. Probably Drysdale because he’s a RH shot, though Sanderson is said to be better defensively so I could see Murray preferring that. Maybe Murray goes Sanderson if he thinks he’s that much better regardless of handedness. 

omg, i can't believe they've limited the stream to paid subscriptions to NBCsn.  that's insane.  these guys can't stop shooting the sport in the short curlys at every opportunity.

9 minutes ago, Fisix said:

omg, i can't believe they've limited the stream to paid subscriptions to NBCsn.  that's insane.  these guys can't stop shooting the sport in the short curlys at every opportunity.

It’s ridiculous indeed. I’ve felt the pain first hand in wanting to watch the playoffs and had to pay 39.99$ for a subscription to SLING Tv. It makes too much sense to give hardcore fans a break in the midst of this pandemic. Money is king. 

• Like 1