The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChopSuey

Now that we are full Rebuild...

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

1.If the Ducks are still in the midst of a full rebuild on July 1, 2022 when both go UFA, this franchise is in a heap of trouble. I am going to give the organization the benefit of the doubt and assume that the rebuild-re-tool timeline is shorter and that Ducks management will be taking active steps to be competitive again before then.

2. Re-signing Lindholm seems like a no brainer to me. He's an outstanding D-man who will still be in his prime.

3. For Manson, who takes his place if he gets moved? Here's a complete list of the right-shooting D-men the Ducks have in their organization: Manson (age 28), Gubdranson (28), Holzer (31), Hakanpaa (27), and Wideman (30). That's it. And only Manson and Guddy are signed past this season. They also drafted RHDs William Francis (6th rd 2019) and Hunter Drew (6th rd 2018), but neither have been signed to a contract yet, and what are the odds management is banking on two 6th rounders to fill out the right side of the defense?  Obviously things change if GMBM finds another RHD via trade or free agency. But until that happens, keeping Manson should be part of the plan, if for no other reasons than the Ducks have NO ONE ELSE to play the right side. 

4. D-men like Manson and Lindholm don't necessarily start the rapid decline as soon as they hit 30 the same way many players who rely on speed and hands do. For example, Beauchemin had arguably his best season in the NHL at age 32 (4th in the Norris voting) and then potted 11 goals in 64 games two years later at age 34. Manson will start his first UFA season as a 31-year-old, and I think a 3 year extension for him would be just fine. He doesn't score enough to demand a big raise, and if he eventually slips to a 3rd pair guy because he's overtaken on the depth chart by younger/better players, its not going to hurt the team at all. Fowler's contract also brings cost certainty and I expect he will be playing into his late 30s anyway due to his skill set and style of play (as long as he stays away from Giordano). And Lindholm won't be "well into his 30s" when Fowler's contract expires in 2026. He'll be 32, and likely still a very good player. Honestly, IMO keeping those 3 together for the long haul is going to keep continuity on the Ducks blue line and enable younger players (both forwards and D-men) to develop better. 

My hunch would be that Murray trades for a RHD, unless he drafts Drysdale as a way to compensate a theoretical Manson trade. Keeping the defense together may provide continuity for the rookies, but I don’t think it’s worth keeping all of them when since I think adding future assets is more important overall. The early returns on the rookies aren’t very pretty which is why the Ducks rebuild could be longer than expected but I’ll wait until next season to see how that plays out.

In the end, I think that the Ducks are going to have to eventually move on from some number of established players, so who do you trade to help with the rebuild? We know that we can’t keep everyone which is why I would at least listen to offers on all players not named Gibson, Getzlaf or Lindholm (assuming he’ll re-sign). Also, I think that Fowler will be 34 when his contract expires.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:37 AM, g20topdogg said:

Getz does not need to be protected, his contract is up before the ed.

I like Gbud and his play is really good. But I'm not sold on giving him one of the protection spots. He was an overpriced defenseman before we got him and I'd still consider his contract an overpayment. It's possible Seattle would take him but I wouldn't be too concerned if we lost him. 

There is no way Seattle would choose Miller if he was available. They would have to be absolutely crazy. This might be his last year, but even if it isn't and Seattle takes him that should fire their gm on the spot without going into further selections. Unless we give up someone else so they choose him a la stoner there is no way that thought even goes through their mind. 

Agreed regarding Miller. Why would a new team build with a goalie who is arguably 1 maybeee 2 seasons away from retiring. Would make no sense. I’d expose him.

Question: how many players can Seattle potentially poach from each team? Just one? Or one forward and one defenseman or?..... 

1 hour ago, RobD360 said:

Question: how many players can Seattle potentially poach from each team? Just one? Or one forward and one defenseman or?..... 

1 player max

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Do we have a deal to make, maybe throw a pick/player and say don’t take Mahura/Guhle?

in the Vegas Draft I first thought, its a nice deal, at least we don't gave up many draft picks like others....

but now Theodore is turn into a very good player... I'm not sure about making trades with Seattle for protect our players, we only lose ONE player for nothing...  thats also the fact that I said earlier: now is best time to rebuild. trade some pieces NOW for draft picks or prospects!