The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Kase to Boston?

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

not developing as well as he hoped???? he'll fit right in here!!

EDIT: just a joke, just a joke

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Late first and a RHD prospect for a 7th rounder who always gets hurt. If he is always gets hurt, its a great trade. 

But he was the best player under 25 we had. But still a good sign, finally BM get a trade. Grant seems to get traded after this one...

• Like 1

Does anyone have the numbers for how this affects our cap space (ie. Can we take on more salary or are we having to match salary in order to get a pick)?

I have no problem with the trade.  Kase is continually injured and I think the concussions have affected his play.  He's had a hard time finishing.  I wish him nothing but the best and hope he has a long career but at this point I feel like he's damaged goods.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So, Murray traded Kase and took on most of Backes’ contract and got a meh prospect and likely got a late 1st round pick which pretty much equivalent to a early 2nd rounder? Initial reaction is that this isn’t good (due to prospect quality) and that we need Boston to flame out early in The playoffs and be as low in the standings as possible. Don’t like those odds 🤞

16 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So that doesn’t really clear a path for Sprong or Sherwood. Unless BM moves Grant and Backes takes over on the fourth line. 

Grant is likely as good as gone with this trade, imo

30 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

It’s not the worst trade in the world. Getting a RHD is pretty big. And hopefully Boston gets bounced as early as possible. Just hate losing Kase, especially because it seemed before he got elbowed in the head he was playing really well. 

We need Murray to be doing better then “not the worst” lol. He needs to be making very good trades. I guess, getting the RHD allows some coverage for Manson to be traded at some point 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

not developing as well as he hoped???? he'll fit right in here!!

He's had an average season on a good Junior team. However, it is also his first season in North America so there is a big learning curve playing on the small ice surface. He still has a potential upside as a second pair guy. As he is 20 years old he will be in the AHL next season.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If Kase can’t stay healthy then yeah sure, but if he returns to any bit of the form he has last couple years, we lose a dynamic young forward and replaced him with David freakin Backes a strong defensive prospect and a #1 pick.

Fixed it for ya

1 minute ago, gotchabari said:

Fixed it for ya

No one seems to be very high on Andersson right now. I don’t know, Murray has a reputation for trading young talent prematurely for questionable returns and a couple of those trades hurt a lot. Just have an uneasy feeling. 

3 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

So, Murray traded Kase and took on most of Backes’ contract and got a meh prospect and likely got a late 1st round pick which pretty much equivalent to a early 2nd rounder? Initial reaction is that this isn’t good (due to prospect quality) and that we need Boston to flame out early in The playoffs and be as low in the standings as possible. Don’t like those odds 🤞

That tweet from Wyshynski is a pretty negative way of looking at this. We got a pick that will likely be somewhere in the 20s, and a young defenseman who is still developing and could fill a need for us on the right side, for a player who is perennially injured and seems to have reached a plateau development-wise. I think it's a good return for a guy with such an injury history.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sexlaf15 said:

No one seems to be very high on Andersson right now. I don’t know, Murray has a reputation for trading young talent prematurely for questionable returns and a couple of those trades hurt a lot. Just have an uneasy feeling. 

The Ducks have done very well when they trade for extra picks late in 1st or early 2nd.

1.29 Tracey
1.30 Steel
1.39 Gibson
1.29 Etem (NM LOL)
1.26 Kyle Palmeiri
1.28 C.Perry
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004643.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like this trade involving Kase more than the one with Carolina last summer. It could look bad if Kase manages to stay healthy on that Bruins team, because he should put up numbers there easier than here. That’s a big if though. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nieder said:

That tweet from Wyshynski is a pretty negative way of looking at this. We got a pick that will likely be somewhere in the 20s, and a young defenseman who is still developing and could fill a need for us on the right side, for a player who is perennially injured and seems to have reached a plateau development-wise. I think it's a good return for a guy with such an injury history.

I think that this trade was more about the first round pick, which I am a fan of and think getting the RHD makes sense if Manson gets moved somewhere down the line. If not, then it’s hard for me to think that Murray couldn’t have gotten a better overall prospect even with Kase’s injury history. Maybe I valued Kase too highly which is why I’m not thrilled at first glance with the trade.

27 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

The Ducks have done very well when they trade for extra picks late in 1st or early 2nd.

1.29 Tracey
1.30 Steel
1.39 Gibson
1.29 Etem (NM LOL)
1.26 Kyle Palmeiri
1.28 C.Perry
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004643.html

the jury is still out on Steel and Tracey hasn’t played a pro game yet. Perry was drafted by Burke and Murray infamously traded away Palmieri. Murray getting Gibson was brilliant and I’ve always praised him for getting great goaltending. He’s weird like that.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

24 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

I like this trade involving Kase more than the one with Carolina last summer. It could look bad if Kase manages to stay healthy on that Bruins team, because he should put up numbers there easier than here. That’s a big if though. 

Agree with this. Also, the east isn’t as heavy or physical as the west which should bode better for kase’s health.

This is a good move in my opinion. I’ve always liked Kase and it stings a little bit to be honest, but, His injury history is a glaring issue.
Over there on the Bruins boards, people seem to be pretty upset about us not taking on the entirety of Backes’s contract. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

He’s a good one. The only 30- goal forward that Murray has drafted, let alone acquired in over a decade as GM. 

More accurately, the only 30-goal scorer to achieve the mark in the Ducks program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

0.30 GPG in 17-18
0.36 GPG in 18-19 (less than half the season played)
0.14 GPG in 19-20 (already missed 10+ games)

The combination of scoring and injuries makes it look like this isn't premature.  Even if he does hit a groove, it would be 20/20 hindsight.  Factually, today, he is in decline with very questionable upside and high risk for escalating injury and perhaps a premature career ending.  To get some strong returns on anyone that risky is pretty good. 

• Like 3

Andersson may not have eye-popping numbers this season, but I would argue he’s looked better than his numbers suggest. He’s on a deep Moncton team and has often been on PP2 this season. He’s an above-average skater, he’s got good skill and his two-way hockey IQ is very good. He can make plays and kill rushes. He’s not a dazzler offensively, with the odd nice seam pass or exit being the extent of his flash. He has an NHL toolkit, it’s why he was a second-round pick, but given he’s never really been a true top player in recent years in league or international play; he’s more of a bubble NHL prospect for me at the moment. He was injured not too long ago but reports are it’s not a serious injury.

4 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Andersson may not have eye-popping numbers this season, but I would argue he’s looked better than his numbers suggest. He’s on a deep Moncton team and has often been on PP2 this season. He’s an above-average skater, he’s got good skill and his two-way hockey IQ is very good. He can make plays and kill rushes. He’s not a dazzler offensively, with the odd nice seam pass or exit being the extent of his flash. He has an NHL toolkit, it’s why he was a second-round pick, but given he’s never really been a true top player in recent years in league or international play; he’s more of a bubble NHL prospect for me at the moment. He was injured not too long ago but reports are it’s not a serious injury.

screaming won't make him seem better. He's a 170lb. AHL kid.

1 minute ago, bufbarnaby said:

screaming won't make him seem better. He's a 170lb. AHL kid.

I think you’re misinterpreting. I’m just sharing information about a prospect that we acquired. I like to inform myself on players in the system figured I’d pass along information I found 

This trade would be good without Backes included. With Backes on the payroll, we have 4 bad contracts to pay for 2020/2021 season: Backs, Perry ($5.5 mil against salary cap as buyout), Kesler and Fowler. It's almost $25 mil against salary cap for either non-existent, non productive or overpaid players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1