Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Kase to Boston?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Not yet. Check back in later...

Moving Grant makes sense. He's a depth forward that can score some goals, play the PK and win faceoffs. He would make sense on a team trying to make the playoffs that needs depth. A team like Edmonton needs a player like that.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Replying to
Backes said he did have to waive his no-trade clause to go to Anaheim. "It was a place where they want me to be a player and want me to help in the locker room, bring whatever I can bring to help with the group. That’s certainly something that I take pride in.”

can't blame him...trade Newport Beach for awful weather back there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

The Ducks have done very well when they trade for extra picks late in 1st or early 2nd.

1.29 Tracey
1.30 Steel
1.39 Gibson
1.29 Etem (NM LOL)
1.26 Kyle Palmeiri
1.28 C.Perry
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004643.html

Thank you for the data.  There has been a lot of talk downplaying the value of late first round picks so it’s good to have the history.  I have also read that this is supposed to be a deep draft so the potential to get an excellent player is high.

And while I loved watching Kase, who is still only 24 and has potential to be a key piece when the Ducks get good again, he isn’t as good as he was last season and I worry about his injury history.  I wish him the best.  Hopefully now that he is no longer a Duck, the NHL will actually penalize and suspend players if he suffers any more cheap shots to the head.  Good luck Ondrej.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nieder said:

Moving Grant makes sense. He's a depth forward that can score some goals, play the PK and win faceoffs. He would make sense on a team trying to make the playoffs that needs depth. A team like Edmonton needs a player like that.

But I like Grantlaf 😭😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:


so this confirms that Muzzin gave Kase a concussion, not the flu. Hate DoPS. 

Good for the Ducks for concealing the injury.  Since the NHL refused to suspend Muzzin for injuring Kase with an illegal hit, the Ducks lie was justified IMO.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:
Busy day in the land of the #NHLDucks, eh? More will be coming.

I sure hope so.  I want to see at least one of the 28-30 year old players traded for picks and prospects and the Ducks turn into a solid Cup contender again by 2025.

Edited by CAsFirstCup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I sure hope so.  I want to see at least one of the 28-30 year old players traded for picks and prospects and the Ducks turn into a solid Cup contender again by 2025.

Del Zotto is 29. :ph34r:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If Detroit wins the draft lottery, maybe they'd consider something like that since they have so far to go in terms of rebuilding that team. Either way, we have assets to play with that can accelerate the re-tool.

i don't think they would...they are desperate for a game changing player...

now if Buffalo or New Jersey did...i could possibly see them being open to it....to be honest though...i REEEAAALLLY hope San Jose gets it......... :D:D :D 

also.....sigh...im gonna miss grant...i hope we get something really good for him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Del Zotto is 29. :ph34r:

I hope Murray trades him for a 6th round pick for the second straight year lol. 
 

11 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I sure hope so.  I want to see at least one of the 28-30 year old players traded for picks and prospects and the Ducks turn into a solid Cup contender again by 2025.

Agreed and think that will happen at some point. If Murray can trade a 24-year old Kase then he should willing to move guys that will be 30 within the next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

TBH, I'd be less bothered if they traded Manson rather than either Kase or Grant.  I bet Kase turns out to be something special.

He could, but the history of players with repeated injuries like his is not that promising.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

Moving Grant makes sense. He's a depth forward that can score some goals, play the PK and win faceoffs. He would make sense on a team trying to make the playoffs that needs depth. A team like Edmonton needs a player like that.

If only Chiarelli was still their GM! I miss him being in the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to say do not trade Grant.  He makes $700k this year.  Sign him to a 2 year, $2.4 mil deal.   He's the perfect 4th liner.    What would be get?  a 4th?  maybe a 3rd?  not worth it.

Trade Manson and get another #1 and a #2/3.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We expected something like this to happen. We know considering our Ducks have flaws shown each game over the past few months. Thank You Ondrej Kase for your contributions to the Ducks and Best of Luck in Boston and your future Endeavors. Welcome to the Ducks David Backes and Axel Andersson. If you ask me this trade is Win-Win for both our Ducks and  Boston....I am very Happy Ducks getting 2020 1st Rd Draft Pick. It's 5th Time Ducks will have 2 First Rounders. I am very interested to see if Ducks GM Bob is stilling wheeling and Dealing but who knows. Oh FYI to all Axel is playing on Moncton Wildcats the same Team as another Ducks Prospect BO Groulx.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I'm going to say do not trade Grant.  He makes $700k this year.  Sign him to a 2 year, $2.4 mil deal.   He's the perfect 4th liner.    What would be get?  a 4th?  maybe a 3rd?  not worth it.

Trade Manson and get another #1 and a #2/3.

make that a 4/5 for Grant

The Winnipeg Jets have acquired Cody Eakin from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a conditional 2021 fourth-round pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

make that a 4/5 for Grant

The Winnipeg Jets have acquired Cody Eakin from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a conditional 2021 fourth-round pick.

Grant has a lot more goals and is far better at faceoffs than Eakin.

If Eakin gets a 4th then Grant should get a 3rd.

Edit: The pick for Eakin is conditional. It becomes a 3rd rounder if the Jets make the playoffs or they re-sign him. So I don't see how Grant nets any less than a 3rd rounder.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nieder said:

Grant has a lot more goals and is far better at faceoffs than Eakin.

If Eakin gets a 4th then Grant should get a 3rd.

Edit: The pick for Eakin is conditional. It becomes a 3rd rounder if the Jets make the playoffs or they re-sign him. So I don't see how Grant nets any less than a 3rd rounder.

Eakin was 22/19 last year...   just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I'm going to say do not trade Grant.  He makes $700k this year.  Sign him to a 2 year, $2.4 mil deal.   He's the perfect 4th liner.    What would be get?  a 4th?  maybe a 3rd?  not worth it.

Trade Manson and get another #1 and a #2/3.

I think the writing is clearly on the wall with trading for Backes. If you get a 4th rounder for Grant then that’s fine, anything more is gravy. Why would you re-sign Grant now anyway though? Unless you are going to ship out Henrique, Steel or Lundestrom, then i don’t see how it makes sense. Get whatever assets you can and move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think backes centers our fourth line and we trade Grant that is a big downgrade.  I get Grant can resign and we get a draft pick  but do not trade him to Edmonton or any other division rival. Maybe I'd be ok with Dallas. That way we could root for cogs, Perry and grant. But losing him will only downgrade the team. I agree in keeping the fourth line together by the way. Grant plays well enough in the bottom six that we haven't had players like him. He is like the vermette for a playoff team this year though. 

Back to the trade though, it felt underwhelming of a return. I felt we got more for Monty last year. Plus let's not forget kase has another year left. But honestly I think the injuries have lowered his value. Especially considering he has another concussion. Good luck to kase!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

TBH, I'd be less bothered if they traded Manson rather than either Kase or Grant.  I bet Kase turns out to be something special.

Kase will be great in Boston 

Another duck traded away that will blossom 

Better coaching.

Better system.

Someone to step in to help when the opponent lines him up.

Good luck Kase!

Im rooting for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

If you think backes centers our fourth line and we trade Grant that is a big downgrade.  I get Grant can resign and we get a draft pick  but do not trade him to Edmonton or any other division rival. Maybe I'd be ok with Dallas. That way we could root for cogs, Perry and grant. But losing him will only downgrade the team. I agree in keeping the fourth line together by the way. Grant plays well enough in the bottom six that we haven't had players like him. He is like the vermette for a playoff team this year though. 

Back to the trade though, it felt underwhelming of a return. I felt we got more for Monty last year. Plus let's not forget kase has another year left. But honestly I think the injuries have lowered his value. Especially considering he has another concussion. Good luck to kase!

Trade him to the highest bidder whoever it is. LA traded Martinez to Vegas who’s a division rival. The Ducks are 2nd to last in the West right now so they can’t really downgrade much further lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

If you think backes centers our fourth line and we trade Grant that is a big downgrade.  I get Grant can resign and we get a draft pick  but do not trade him to Edmonton or any other division rival. Maybe I'd be ok with Dallas. That way we could root for cogs, Perry and grant. But losing him will only downgrade the team. I agree in keeping the fourth line together by the way. Grant plays well enough in the bottom six that we haven't had players like him. He is like the vermette for a playoff team this year though. 

Back to the trade though, it felt underwhelming of a return. I felt we got more for Monty last year. Plus let's not forget kase has another year left. But honestly I think the injuries have lowered his value. Especially considering he has another concussion. Good luck to kase!

Yep, it's a downgrade. But this team is going nowhere so this year it doesn't really matter.

Same thing for trading to a division rival - the Ducks aren't competing with the Oilers for a playoff spot so I don't see an issue trading inside the division. Grant is a UFA and has had his best seasons in Anaheim so I don't think it would be difficult to sign him in the offseason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nieder said:

Yep, it's a downgrade. But this team is going nowhere so this year it doesn't really matter.

Same thing for trading to a division rival - the Ducks aren't competing with the Oilers for a playoff spot so I don't see an issue trading inside the division. Grant is a UFA and has had his best seasons in Anaheim so I don't think it would be difficult to sign him in the offseason.

Trading Grant to a potential playoff team is in his best interest. As you said, he’s a UFA so if he wants to come back to Anaheim, I believe BM keeps the door open for him. BM is after as may picks as he can get. If he can get a 3rd rounder for Grant, it’s in the best interest of the team, and Grant. 
 

An interesting quote from BM on the Backes trade: 

On Backes' leadership
One of my biggest disappointments so far this year is leadership. Hopefully this helps with that. It's part of my thinking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grantz forevaaaaa!

anyway,

Kase - wicked good backhand, will finally be on a team that'll protect him and smash anyone that touches him - Boston is a league darling and doesn't get beat into the ice by the refs like we do.  But, aside from that optimism, Kase still skates with his head out front and too low and someday someone's going to accidentally bump him on a fast rush to the net and he's going to end up face first in the boards with a career ending injury.  Kase was trying hard this season, and we were getting some use out of him, but... long term, I don't think he'd perform well enough to be on the team we're looking to build.  i hope he's successful, but i'm not optimistic.  Maybe Boston will teach him how to protect himself?

Boston - they get rid of a recalcitrant contract player who won't even follow orders... this has Sprong reclamation project written all over it... which means BM doesn't really care about Backes performance.  What he really wants is the prospect and the pick, and I agree that there might be a package deal coming.  I doubt Backes got a NMC in his trip to Anaheim, so we could see him ship as well.... though I have no idea who'd take him.  Even just a 1st round pick for Kase could have been fair, so I think both sides can sing/sting a little.

Grant - Backes isn't a replacement for Grant - maybe Carter, but not Grant.  I'm still hopeful our 4th line is going to be kept together.  Our 4th line is worth way more as it is than it is apart, and Grant is the lynchpin.  If BM thinks the lynchpin is FrenchyD... then that's just a horrible, horrible mistake.  FrenchyD is no slouch and is an asset, but he doesn't grab the hearts and minds of the rest of the line (and certainly the fans) like Grant does.  Grant doesn't seem to be a full "team" leader (i don't think he makes team speeches or anything), but he does lead by example, especially with his line, and that spills over into the rest of the team here and there (certainly, Eakins should be using it as such).  Frankly, trading any of the 4th line Fs is weaksause.  Save the trade deals for the top 9 F's (and 5th and 6th Ds).  Focus where the real problems are, not where we're actually doing well compared to other teams.

Ducks - This is a future looking trade.  I think it's pretty good - we get out from under a fragile player (admittedly with significant but currently constipated offensive skills), we get an additional 1st round pick (possibly in a bad year?), we get a prospect (he's not even in the AHL - not even worth guessing about right now, though he could be trade bait), and for all that, we only get saddled with some slightly trodden-on, rather expensive exposeable F-depth, i guess.

I think something like this had to happen, and I'm sad to say it, but I'm a little emotionally relieved by moving this particular player.  It was either us or him that kept putting him in the position to get hurt, and that pervasive risk tends to tug downward against my enjoyment of games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Trading Grant to a potential playoff team is in his best interest. As you said, he’s a UFA so if he wants to come back to Anaheim, I believe BM keeps the door open for him. BM is after as may picks as he can get. If he can get a 3rd rounder for Grant, it’s in the best interest of the team, and Grant. 
 

An interesting quote from BM on the Backes trade: 

On Backes' leadership
One of my biggest disappointments so far this year is leadership. Hopefully this helps with that. It's part of my thinking.

see, i think you have some embedded contradiction there.  Grant offers leadership, if only by example, so that works against trading him.  In addition, what picks are we going to get for a $700k/year 4th F who seems to only play well with a Ducks jersey?  AND, why do you think BM is after as many picks he can get.... after only one trade?  Sillysauce.

finally... the only thing that HELPS grant is if he starts getting paid more.  He need to be brought up in parity with a contract similar to what FrenchyD and Carter have.  he absolutely does not get helped by being traded to a team that'll misuse him as badly as Pitt did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

30 minutes ago, DuckFan4Life said:

Trading Grant to a potential playoff team is in his best interest. As you said, he’s a UFA so if he wants to come back to Anaheim, I believe BM keeps the door open for him. BM is after as may picks as he can get. If he can get a 3rd rounder for Grant, it’s in the best interest of the team, and Grant. 
 

An interesting quote from BM on the Backes trade: 

On Backes' leadership
One of my biggest disappointments so far this year is leadership. Hopefully this helps with that. It's part of my thinking.

I absolutely hate Murray’s constant bashing of his “leadership”. It isn’t the leadership that was the issue. It’s bad special teams and growing pains in with a large flock of kids injected into a line up with a new coach.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

:lmao:  and . :deadhorse:

Backes is like only $3mil.  Kesler goes on LTIR.  Fowler is a very good player.   Perry buyout was good. He has 5 goals right now.

We have so many good players. Why our team sucks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...