The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Kase to Boston?

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

He also wasn’t good enough to play for Boston 

how is he suddenly good enough???

christ

He will play of course, but, in no was he acquired to solve any of our offensive ailments. Merely for a prospect and a draft pick.

25 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Grantz forevaaaaa!

anyway,

Kase - wicked good backhand, will finally be on a team that'll protect him and smash anyone that touches him - Boston is a league darling and doesn't get beat into the ice by the refs like we do.  But, aside from that optimism, Kase still skates with his head out front and too low and someday someone's going to accidentally bump him on a fast rush to the net and he's going to end up face first in the boards with a career ending injury.  Kase was trying hard this season, and we were getting some use out of him, but... long term, I don't think he'd perform well enough to be on the team we're looking to build.  i hope he's successful, but i'm not optimistic.  Maybe Boston will teach him how to protect himself?

Boston - they get rid of a recalcitrant contract player who won't even follow orders... this has Sprong reclamation project written all over it... which means BM doesn't really care about Backes performance.  What he really wants is the prospect and the pick, and I agree that there might be a package deal coming.  I doubt Backes got a NMC in his trip to Anaheim, so we could see him ship as well.... though I have no idea who'd take him.  Even just a 1st round pick for Kase could have been fair, so I think both sides can sing/sting a little.

Grant - Backes isn't a replacement for Grant - maybe Carter, but not Grant.  I'm still hopeful our 4th line is going to be kept together.  Our 4th line is worth way more as it is than it is apart, and Grant is the lynchpin.  If BM thinks the lynchpin is FrenchyD... then that's just a horrible, horrible mistake.  FrenchyD is no slouch and is an asset, but he doesn't grab the hearts and minds of the rest of the line (and certainly the fans) like Grant does.  Grant doesn't seem to be a full "team" leader (i don't think he makes team speeches or anything), but he does lead by example, especially with his line, and that spills over into the rest of the team here and there (certainly, Eakins should be using it as such).  Frankly, trading any of the 4th line Fs is weaksause.  Save the trade deals for the top 9 F's (and 5th and 6th Ds).  Focus where the real problems are, not where we're actually doing well compared to other teams.

Ducks - This is a future looking trade.  I think it's pretty good - we get out from under a fragile player (admittedly with significant but currently constipated offensive skills), we get an additional 1st round pick (possibly in a bad year?), we get a prospect (he's not even in the AHL - not even worth guessing about right now, though he could be trade bait), and for all that, we only get saddled with some slightly trodden-on, rather expensive exposeable F-depth, i guess.

I think something like this had to happen, and I'm sad to say it, but I'm a little emotionally relieved by moving this particular player.  It was either us or him that kept putting him in the position to get hurt, and that pervasive risk tends to tug downward against my enjoyment of games.

Exactly why Grant should stay. His determination and scoring ability (from the fourth line!!!) are very much needed here. We're not going to contend for the cup anytime soon, so are we supposed to put together a team of trash players until we get better? Honestly players like Grant are what we currently need going forward. Like its been said, he brings back little compared to what he brings to the team. IF he for sure wants to resign in the offseason then I have no issue moving him but there's also a good chance that he doesn't. He had a really good season on the fourth line, did the rest of the league not notice that? 

He's arguably the best fourth liner for the ducks in the past decade. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Exactly why Grant should stay. His determination and scoring ability (from the fourth line!!!) are very much needed here. We're not going to contend for the cup anytime soon, so are we supposed to put together a team of trash players until we get better? Honestly players like Grant are what we currently need going forward. Like its been said, he brings back little compared to what he brings to the team. IF he for sure wants to resign in the offseason then I have no issue moving him but there's also a good chance that he doesn't. He had a really good season on the fourth line, did the rest of the league not notice that? 

I'm not following. If he doesn't want to re-sign in the offseason then we definitely should move him as he's an expiring asset.

If Backes can come in and teach Ritchie/Jones how to be a power forward, then I’ll dig it. I’m becoming more optimistic on the deal. 

• Like 1

Hello. It's been awhile since I've been here but it's good to see old familiar names still on here. 

I have to to say like a lot of the recent moves by our management lately, I feel underwhelmed once again. When I saw this, I immediately thought of the Marleau to Carolina deal, where he was dealt along with a 1st and conditional picks for a 6th. In comparison, Backes, a 1st that will probably be in the late 20's, and a D prospect that has ranged, from what I've seen, anywhere between the 8th-13th best prospect for the Bruins. So I read this as Backes+1st for futures (1st is the price for taking Backes contract) and Kase for the 8th-13th best prospect of the Bruins.

This feels like selling very low on Kase. I understand the injury problems and concussion history, but look at recent deals to compare to...Kase when he's on a good streak is a borderline top 6 player. Backes is not an asset...if anything, hopefully management is looking to flip him again before the deadline. If this was the best offer for Kase, one should probably hold on to him. The trade deadline is still days away.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, nieder said:

I'm not following. If he doesn't want to re-sign in the offseason then we definitely should move him as he's an expiring asset.

Sorry. What I meant was if he's willing to sign with us in the offseason and not anyone else, like a sort of handshake agreement, we should trade him. Otherwise we hold onto him and sign him now. 

Huh, I see the flaw here....What should happen is he says I want to sign here, we counter with 'ok we want you here but we can also give you a chance at the playoffs and get another asset for the team. Are you willing to accept a sort of temporary trade?'

But it's also possible he can get injured for example and hurt his value. Or not be as effective and hurt his value that way. Better for us in a sense but worse for him. So he might ask for a contract now for security.

Idk how this might work but I don't want to lose him either. He's not some easily replaceable fourth line plug. He centered our top line for some games at one point and did well enough to keep the team afloat. He works hard, back checks, mixes it up, wins face offs, etc. He's not the typical bottom six plug BM gets every off season. Who do we replace him with that will bring the same or more? 

Edit: 

I believe Grant could have made the cup winning team in 07. 

Edited by g20topdogg

This sucks.  It's not a terrible deal.  I don't think it's good, but I understand it and there are enough uncertainties that I can't really be mad at it.  But man, I LOVED watching Kase play.  And I want to root for him to succeed SO badly, but now he's on Boston, which...ugh.  

I'm sad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, g20topdogg said:

Grant will be 30 in April, so I don’t think that looking to him for the future makes sense, especially as a 4th liner. We already had too many centers going forward and just added another in Backes. Say you get a 4th rounder for Grant, the Ducks drafted Henry Thrun in that same round last year and Scott Wheeler, who follows prospects, has been drooling over him. That’s the kind of piece we need to have in place and develop to help with the rebuild.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

see, i think you have some embedded contradiction there.  Grant offers leadership, if only by example, so that works against trading him.  In addition, what picks are we going to get for a $700k/year 4th F who seems to only play well with a Ducks jersey?  AND, why do you think BM is after as many picks he can get.... after only one trade?  Sillysauce.

finally... the only thing that HELPS grant is if he starts getting paid more.  He need to be brought up in parity with a contract similar to what FrenchyD and Carter have.  he absolutely does not get helped by being traded to a team that'll misuse him as badly as Pitt did.  

AND, why do you think BM is after as many picks he can get.... after only one trade?  Sillysauce

League executives insist the Ducks, preparing for a full rebuild, want to be busy at the deadline and they’re open to just about any possibility, including taking bad contracts in exchange for prospects and picks. The belief is Murray isn’t willing to trade just anybody on his roster, but he’s certainly open for talks on several fronts. https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/anaheim-ducks-general-manager-bob-murray-wants-to-be-busy-before-trade-deadline (Not the only place I've seen it.)

In addition, what picks are we going to get for a $700k/year 4th F who seems to only play well with a Ducks jersey? 

Grant is a UFA. It doesn't matter what round BM can get; any draft pick is worth it.

finally... the only thing that HELPS grant is if he starts getting paid more. 

I think he would be happy with a SC.

Grant offers leadership, if only by example, so that works against trading him.

Your assumption. He is definitely a great example, but that doesn't translate to leader. 

Edited by DuckFan4Life

Getting a RHD back is nice but GMBM is the reason we're so thin there to begin with. I'm not a fan of losing one of our most talented and fun players to address a hole he's responsible for creating with very little to show for it. At least give Sprong Kase's minutes now so the Pettersson deal doesn't look as bad.

• Like 4

So the ever-persistent Bob is continuing on his mindless zombie quest to re-collect ALL the players from the 2003 Draft. Good for him.

Backes was #62. First pick for Kase is fun. He was too much of a glass cannon, sadly.

Edited by Aksun
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

Getting a RHD back is nice but GMBM is the reason we're so thin there to begin with. I'm not a fan of losing one of our most talented and fun players to address a hole he's responsible for creating with very little to show for it. At least give Sprong Kase's minutes now so the Pettersson deal doesn't look as bad.

I swear if he doesn’t get called up I’m gonna pull my hair out 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mulcher said:

A few more days until deadline day Bob,get your finger out.

Bob should fire himself an incompetent GM 

• Like 3

By Pierre LeBrun 1h agocomment-icon@2x.png 13 save-icon@2x.png

A first-round pick and a prospect is beyond what I thought the Anaheim Ducks could get for Ondrej Kase.

Back on Feb. 3, when I felt Kase to Boston made sense as a potential deal, I had a second-round pick and a prospect as the price to pay.

Of course, taking on 75 percent of David Backes’ contract is why the pick becomes a first. The Ducks will only be on the hook for about $3 million next season on Backes so it’s well worth it in my mind. Pretty good job by Ducks GM Bob Murray to weaponize his salary cap space.

There’s risk on both sides here, though. The speedy Kase could go on to score 20-25 goals a year for the next 6-7 seasons in Boston and if that’s the case, the Ducks may regret this move depending on what becomes of the first-round pick. But Kase comes with enough health concerns (concussions) that one NHL team told me this week while they liked the skill set they decided not to call Anaheim because of that alone.

I think Bruins GM Don Sweeney gambled wisely here. It’s a low first-round pick and he got out of cap jail on the Backes deal. And I don’t think Sweeney is done, either. He’s probably out of the Chris Kreider situation after having traded his first-round pick but he can still get in on other rentals before Monday’s 3 p.m. ET deadline.

Last year he rented Marcus Johansson and made a hockey deal for Charlie Coyle. His hockey deal is now done. Even if Sweeney doesn’t make another trade, the Bruins have got as good a shot as any other team to win the Cup this year.

Of course, the Bruins weren’t alone in pursuit of Kase. Two other teams that showed real interest were Calgary and Carolina, according to sources.

That the Hurricanes got in there shouldn’t be a surprise given that Kase is the player they wanted from Anaheim in the failed Justin Faulk trade back in September. The Canes have liked Kase for a long time. My understanding is that they offered a second-round pick and a prospect for Kase. The Canes have two second-round picks in June, the Rangers’ and their own, so it would have been interesting to know which one they offered. A low first-round pick from Boston or the Rangers’ second-round pick (and no Backes contract) plus a prospect? But clearly Anaheim went the Boston route for a reason.

That the Flames inquired makes sense, too. Calgary has been after a top-six, right-shot option. Give Flames GM Brad Treliving credit. He’s trying. He also tried on right winger Tyler Toffoli and blueliner Brenden Dillon, among others so far over the past week. Calgary can use a boost both up front and on the blue line and Treliving is taking his swings.

• Like 4

This is a good trade of inconvenience today for benefits tomorrow. I hope the Ducks can turn that late 1st round pick into a mid first round pick... or add another first round pick by Monday.  Backes will be good for the locker room I expect, even if the next season and a half are his last in the league, I'll take that for what came with him.

Witnessing his effort could be not only inspiring, but also an incentive. He's been in the league for a while, and can remind the kids that they don't have forever in the league, no one does. His contract expires before Seattle's draft, so that's a plus as well.

Edited by Thom-74

3 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The ESPN Hockey cover page: "Bruins Solve Two Problems in Fleecing Anaheim Ducks for Ondrej Kase"

Welp.

I’ll take LeBrun’s reporting over Wyshynski’s analysis. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The ESPN Hockey cover page: "Bruins Solve Two Problems in Fleecing Anaheim Ducks for Ondrej Kase"

Welp.

what's ES...p...N?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DuckFan4Life said:

AND, why do you think BM is after as many picks he can get.... after only one trade?  Sillysauce

League executives insist the Ducks, preparing for a full rebuild, want to be busy at the deadline and they’re open to just about any possibility, including taking bad contracts in exchange for prospects and picks. The belief is Murray isn’t willing to trade just anybody on his roster, but he’s certainly open for talks on several fronts. https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/anaheim-ducks-general-manager-bob-murray-wants-to-be-busy-before-trade-deadline (Not the only place I've seen it.)

In addition, what picks are we going to get for a $700k/year 4th F who seems to only play well with a Ducks jersey? 

Grant is a UFA. It doesn't matter what round BM can get; any draft pick is worth it.

finally... the only thing that HELPS grant is if he starts getting paid more. 

I think he would be happy with a SC.

Grant offers leadership, if only by example, so that works against trading him.

Your assumption. He is definitely a great example, but that doesn't translate to leader. 

No evidence of what they speak of. 

BM should sign him with a pay raise.  People want cups, they also want solvency.  We want a solid 4th line. 

Not my assumption, my opinion. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fisix said:

BM should sign him with a pay raise.  People want cups, they also want solvency.  We want a solid 4th line. 

Trading Kase for futures and the husk of David Backes seems to suggest that they don’t expect a cup anytime soon though. We’ve held off on an actual rebuild long enough, time to pay the bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Welp.

Because ESPN has always given dehydrated donkey dung about hockey. Linda Cohn . Lmfao 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Trading Kase for futures and the husk of David Backes seems to suggest that they don’t expect a cup anytime soon though. We’ve held off on an actual rebuild long enough, time to pay the bill.

C’mon. I love Kase as much as anyone and am very sad he’s gone, but it’s not like he’s a cornerstone of the franchise. He’s an oft-injured 24 year old middle-6 winger (albeit an exciting one) with fewer than 100 career points. Trading that type of player does not suggest the organization is giving up hope for being competitive soon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

C’mon. I love Kase as much as anyone and am very sad he’s gone, but it’s not like he’s a cornerstone of the franchise. He’s an oft-injured 24 year old middle-6 winger (albeit an exciting one) with fewer than 100 career points. Trading that type of player does not suggest the organization is giving up hope for being competitive soon.

I liked Kase too. The problem with this trade is; he is one of the few talented forwards that we had, and scoring is our MAJOR problem. The chances that late first round pick turns into high scoring young forward are slim to none, most likely it will be an average Sam Steel  type of a player. If I was GM, I would rather try to unload players who are in their late 20th with high salaries.

12 hours ago, Fisix said:

In addition to the link I posted above, there are 2 other reliable sources saying the same. BM has made the first move, we'll see if he makes anymore.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported they’re willing to use their salary-cap space to take on a bad contract from another club provided good young assets are also included in the deal.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/02/18/heres-what-the-ducks-might-do-or-not-do-before-the-trade-deadline/

After stewing on the trade. It’s a decent trade for us that has a lot of IF potential to be a great trade (as all “rebuildy” trades so). If Andersson can hit his ceiling of around a 2nd pairing guy, that’s huge for us. Then depends on who we draft. Also hopefully Backes can come and be a solid depth piece and help teach the kids. Also makes trading Grant easier. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bufbarnaby said:

The Hockey Guy says Backes hands are gone and he worked on his skating all summer...Oof !😭

I've been watching the Hockey Guy  more and More lately. At first I didn't like him, but after giving him a a chance I've come to enjoy his videos. Whether he is right or wrong  in  his insight at times I appreciate his passion.

• Haha 1