The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DuckFan4Life

Kase to Boston?

23 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

I liked Kase too. The problem with this trade is; he is one of the few talented forwards that we had, and scoring is our MAJOR problem. The chances that late first round pick turns into high scoring young forward are slim to none, most likely it will be an average Sam Steel  type of a player. If I was GM, I would rather try to unload players who are in their late 20th with high salaries.

If GMBM uses the pick to draft another forward prospect, then I will agree with you. But it’s wait and see for me. I’m not convinced the Ducks will be making that pick. We already have so many forward prospects that I think it’s very possible GMBM will be trying to acquire a legit scorer via trade. 

My Buddy  and I were discussing the Kase trade last night and I wondered how having Backes will effect the Seattle ED situation. He had a NTC in Boston, is that still in effect? Do the Ducks need to protect him regardless because of his age? Most of the younger players are first year players and exempt from the draft.  Which forwards get protected now? Which ones are most vulnerable?

Edited by Shadowduck

13 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The ESPN Hockey cover page: "Bruins Solve Two Problems in Fleecing Anaheim Ducks for Ondrej Kase"

Welp.

I love how so many analysts consider shedding about $4 million of cap hit for a single season is worth a late first round draft pick.  If that’s the case, I hope there are other teams willing to give up a first round pick for that.  ESPN has no credibility on the NHL since they jettisoned their TV contract with the league 15 years ago.  Hockey is waaaaaay below football and basketball in their world.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

My Buddy  and I were discussing the Kase trade last night and I wondered how having Backes will effect the Seattle ED situation. He had a NTC in Boston, is that still in effect? Do the Ducks need to protect him regardless because of his age? Most of the younger players are first year players and exempt from the draft.  Which forwards get protected now? Which ones are most vulnerable?

The Ducks won’t have to protect Backes.  His contract ends just before the expansion draft.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

I liked Kase too. The problem with this trade is; he is one of the few talented forwards that we had, and scoring is our MAJOR problem. The chances that late first round pick turns into high scoring young forward are slim to none, most likely it will be an average Sam Steel  type of a player. If I was GM, I would rather try to unload players who are in their late 20th with high salaries.

Corey Perry was a late first round draft pick.  

I agree with you that BM should trade someone in their late 20s also and will be disappointed if he doesn’t.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Corey Perry was a late first round draft pick.  

I agree with you that BM should trade someone in their late 20s also and will be disappointed if he doesn’t.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Like CAsFirstCup said, his contract expires before the ED. You also aren’t forced to protect an NTC. Only No Movement Clauses (NMCs) are required to be protected. So for example, if FanSince1993 is able to get his hands on some compromising photos of Bob Murray, Fowler will be exposed in the expansion draft even though he has a 4-team trade clause in his contract.

:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

C’mon. I love Kase as much as anyone and am very sad he’s gone, but it’s not like he’s a cornerstone of the franchise. He’s an oft-injured 24 year old middle-6 winger (albeit an exciting one) with fewer than 100 career points. Trading that type of player does not suggest the organization is giving up hope for being competitive soon.

True, but they traded Kase for a (late) first round pick and a defensive prospect. Interestingly, they got the same return last season when they traded Montour. Maybe they use Boston's first rounder to bring someone to improve the roster, but they could have also done the same thing last offseason and didn't. Getzlaf, Henrique, Silfverberg, Manson have only gotten older, so if the plan was to make a push for that group to be competitive sooner, then I think it would have made more sense to do what you proposed last season. To me, Murray seems like is gearing more towards a rebuild and that Kase is the first domino to fall. Adding another first round pick certainly helps in trying to fix that but it comes at the cost of one of the team's best forwards which makes it harder to be competitive sooner rather than later. 

44 minutes ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I love how so many analysts consider shedding about $4 million of cap hit for a single season is worth a late first round draft pick.  If that’s the case, I hope there are other teams willing to give up a first round pick for that.  ESPN has no credibility on the NHL since they jettisoned their TV contract with the league 15 years ago.  Hockey is waaaaaay below football and basketball in their world.

Yeah, I just think it's funny that their NHL homepage, which I'm sure it's the first time in years that it even mentions the Ducks, is so scathing of the team lol. Buccigross is still cool though!

Carolina got Toronto's first round pick for taking Marleau's contract which is why I was hoping for a higher-end prospect or another pick in the return for Kase.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

True, but they traded Kase for a (late) first round pick and a defensive prospect. Interestingly, they got the same return last season when they traded Montour. Maybe they use Boston's first rounder to bring someone to improve the roster, but they could have also done the same thing last offseason and didn't. Getzlaf, Henrique, Silfverberg, Manson have only gotten older, so if the plan was to make a push for that group to be competitive sooner, then I think it would have made more sense to do what you proposed last season. To me, Murray seems like is gearing more towards a rebuild and that Kase is the first domino to fall. Adding another first round pick certainly helps in trying to fix that but it comes at the cost of one of the team's best forwards which makes it harder to be competitive sooner rather than later. 

Yeah, I just think it's funny that their NHL homepage, which I'm sure it's the first time in years that it even mentions the Ducks, is so scathing of the team lol. Buccigross is still cool though!

Carolina got Toronto's first round pick for taking Marleau's contract which is why I was hoping for a higher-end prospect or another pick in the return for Kase.

Not quite. Montour didn't come with a bad contract. Plus the prospect was much further along and played quite well down the stretch last year. This is why it seems underwhelming. But I think kase's injuries have played a part in the lower return. If we traded him before he got his last concussion (from which he's yet to return) we get a better prospect or an additional pick. 

3 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Keeping Kase would maintain the status quo. The status quo isn't good enough. Stocking up picks improves the odds that one or more of the picks works out. Not every pick needs to work out, so long as one or two does.

6 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Not quite. Montour didn't come with a bad contract. Plus the prospect was much further along and played quite well down the stretch last year. This is why it seems underwhelming. But I think kase's injuries have played a part in the lower return. If we traded him before he got his last concussion (from which he's yet to return) we get a better prospect or an additional pick. 

True, but my broader point was to the approach that Murray is taking which seems to be towards the rebuild and not towards making the team competitive for the playoffs within the next couple of seasons. Of course, the circumstances of the trades are different and we can debate on their overall value, but the main thing is that Murray has made it a priority on getting first round picks for the last two seasons now as well as adding young defensive depth to the pipeline. As much as I want Murray fired, I support idea of a rebuild which appears to be what he's heading towards.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Shadowduck said:

Any chance Murray is shopping Fowler? He didn't play last night and is "doubtful" for the weekend. Or is he just injured?

Had heard that Cam Fowler (lower body) underwent an MRI and Eakins confirmed that he was examined. No results but the coach said Fowler won't play Sunday against Vegas. No timeline offered beyond that.

Fowler at 28 and on a big contract with a no trade clause willing to go to just a few teams .Nope he won't be going anywhere.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mulcher said:

Fowler at 28 and on a big contract with a no trade clause willing to go to just a few teams .Nope he won't be going anywhere.

then why didn't he play ??? Oh...MRI. Wow we are toast !

Edited by bufbarnaby

On 2/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, JiggyToTheCup said:

Since 2011, the Kings have only drafted two players to score 30+ goals in their ENTIRE careers.   The Ducks have six.

Since 2011, the Kings have won 2 Stanley Cups. Murray blows.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DuckRogers13 said:

Since 2011, the Kings have won 2 Stanley Cups. Murray blows.

I do not want to rade Cups for so many miserable seasons.  

No, thanks.  I'd much rather have 1 Cup in half the time and countless seasons in the playoffs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thom-74 said:

Backes said he'd be doing a couple weeks of practice before he's game ready.  But great that he's starting early.

Ducks are the only team that trades for players that can’t play right away.

first it was steve w

now backes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoxxey said:

first it was steve w

now backes...

Th Ducks traded for a 1st round draft pick and a RHD prospect.  Anaheim took Backes’ contract off Boston’s hands otherwise they wouldn’t have given up a 1st round pick.

10 hours ago, hoxxey said:

first it was steve w

now backes...

Robidas too. Dude was still rehabbing from a broken leg when Bob picked him up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Robidas too. Dude was still rehabbing from a broken leg when Bob picked him up.

That's how we got him for a 4th round pick.  Great pick up for a great price.  Was a nice upgrade to the bottom 3 D, and I still think we beat LA that year if Dallas doesn't rebreak him.

17 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

That's how we got him for a 4th round pick.  Great pick up for a great price.  Was a nice upgrade to the bottom 3 D, and I still think we beat LA that year if Dallas doesn't rebreak him.

It was a great gamble. Not saying it was a bad move at all. And it was 1000x better than the trade for that other pre-broken defenseman.

But it is kind of funny that GMBM likes to shop the clearance rack so often. More than any other GM as far as I can tell, even the other small market GMs.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Damn. The Senators just got a 1st, 2nd and 3rd got Pageau. Amazing return.

with a weird condition on the 1st...if the islanders WIN the DRAFT THIS YEAR...the 2020 1st turns into a 2021 first....lol....the Islanders who are in preeeeettttyyy good odds to make the playoffs and even if they don't...very bad odds on getting a top-3 pick... it's irrelevant...but odd lol

it's almost like the NYI GM was realizing just how much he was paying...and just for a "feel good" about the trade to himself was all like "well, uh, so, that 2020 1st is protected!! if we get a top-3 pick...you can't have it! so there!! :P "

it could also be taken as a weird lack of confidence being shown to his current team if he felt the need to protect the potential of a top-3 pick in the upcoming draft...

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

with a weird condition on the 1st...if the islanders WIN the DRAFT THIS YEAR...the 2020 1st turns into a 2021 first....lol....the Islanders who are in preeeeettttyyy good odds to make the playoffs and even if they don't...very bad odds on getting a top-3 pick... it's irrelevant...but odd lol

it's almost like the NYI GM was realizing just how much he was paying...and just for a "feel good" about the trade to himself was all like "well, uh, so, that 2020 1st is protected!! if we get a top-3 pick...you can't have it! so there!! :P "

it could also be taken as a weird lack of confidence being shown to his current team if he felt the need to protect the potential of a top-3 pick in the upcoming draft...

Teams protecting a lottery pick makes sense. I’m just amazed at the return the Sens got and then realizing who our GM and then losing hope that we could pull something like that off.

i wonder what it feels like to fleece a team in a trade lol