The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
turnonthejets87

Looking ahead (draft)

It makes me so sick and sad to see this once perennial playoff team in a rebuild, but it had to be done. Being in the playoffs wasn’t good enough. We need to build a winning roster yadda yadda. 

anyhoo... how high of a draft pick does it look like we’re gonna have? Again, it makes me too sick to check the standings where we are. 

I guess this is a two parter: what pieces are we missing to get us back into contention? And..... go:

Right now we’re 4th, with an outside chance of finishing #2, or outside of the top 6 if we finish the season strong. We need a Cale Makar (top RHD) or a 1st line C/W. Basically we need high impact skill.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, turnonthejets87 said:

It makes me so sick and sad to see this once perennial playoff team in a rebuild, but it had to be done. Being in the playoffs wasn’t good enough. We need to build a winning roster yadda yadda. 

anyhoo... how high of a draft pick does it look like we’re gonna have? Again, it makes me too sick to check the standings where we are. 

I guess this is a two parter: what pieces are we missing to get us back into contention? And..... go:

Outside of goaltending, we need everything. The top-2 picks are no brainers and with our top-4 defenders out we could easily fall to the second worst record by the end of the season and guarantee ourselves a top-5 pick. 

• Like 1

Maybe im crazy, but i still have faith in our Defense...especially if we can get some new assistant coaches.......

but i think we need a pure goal scorer/shooter the most right now. i think we have a couple of great playmakers coming in...Zegras for one....and I think Terry can/should turn into another. We need someone for them to pass to that can shoooooooot. 

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Maybe im crazy, but i still have faith in our Defense...especially if we can get some new assistant coaches.......

but i think we need a pure goal scorer/shooter the most right now. i think we have a couple of great playmakers coming in...Zegras for one....and I think Terry can/should turn into another. We need someone for them to pass to that can shoooooooot. 

Murray passed on drafting one of the premiere shooters/scorers last year in Kaliyev, so I don't suddenly expect him to have an eye or the wherewithal to bring one in lol. He doesn't have a good track record in that department.

I don't think our defense is good enough or deep enough. I think we have a big enough sample size and that the band needs to be broken up. The Kings won two Cups in three years and moved on from guys like Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli etc because they knew it wasn't going to work anymore and helped set themselves up to contend sooner than the Ducks. It's more than frustrating.

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I see the same, we need a scorer! Rakell is a shadow of himself, Perry is away… at the moment I think Comtois can be (one of) our best scorer next year with Zegras as his passer...

some playmakers? I also include Milano and maybe Fowler there.

and for the draft: I still think we trade (Henrique, Rakell, Manson) at least one of this for a high first rounder…. if Murray don't make a trade at the draft, I can't understand it!

but Manson I don't believe he get traded because Murray loves too much RHD :( 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Outside of goaltending, we need everything. The top-2 picks are no brainers and with our top-4 defenders out we could easily fall to the second worst record by the end of the season and guarantee ourselves a top-5 pick. 

Even goaltending is not good this season. Gibson's GAA and save % is one of the worse in the NHL the last 2 years. I don't buy anymore an argument "it's a defense in front of him", we have one of the highest paid defense players in the league. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Murray passed on drafting one of the premiere shooters/scorers last year in Kaliyev, so I don't suddenly expect him to have an eye or the wherewithal to bring one in lol.

completely agree! i cannot believe he passed on him...not sure how Tracey will work out, if he does -- then great! doesn't matter...but right now...yeah, don't get it lol seems like the most obvious pick and to be fair i wasn't exactly saying what i thought Murray WOULD do.... :P

51 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Even goaltending is not good this season. Gibson's GAA and save % is one of the worse in the NHL the last 2 years. I don't buy anymore an argument "it's a defense in front of him",

im similar but not ready to completely throw in the towel on Gibby. His inconsistency with lateral movement is the thing that confuses me the most. But i mean, i guess with a goalie with a groin-injury history...he may be looking for ways to prevent that and maybe they are seeing if he can avoid too much of that? i dunno...could also be why risk an injury this season? But at the same time i get worried that if he truly isn't putting in all of his effort each game 'cause we aren't a contender this year that he's just going to develop bad habits and will not develop well and will continue to be inconsistent even IF we had a good team in front of him.

I'm also not ready to throw in the towel on our defense. I actually think we have a very good defense...we just need a better defensive coach.

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Murray passed on drafting one of the premiere shooters/scorers last year in Kaliyev, so I don't suddenly expect him to have an eye or the wherewithal to bring one in lol. He doesn't have a good track record in that department.

32 teams passed on him, so maybe he wasn't as much of an obvious lock?

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don't think our defense is good enough or deep enough. I think we have a big enough sample size and that the band needs to be broken up. The Kings won two Cups in three years and moved on from guys like Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli etc because they knew it wasn't going to work anymore and helped set themselves up to contend sooner than the Ducks. It's more than frustrating.

They won 2 Cups by buying them, which then makes their rebuilds longer and more painful.  I would rather have quicker turnarounds and more playoff runs like the Ducks historically have, which involves a more conservative approach.  Fewer splashes. 

• Like 1

Word out there today is that the cap next season is expected to rise by at least $2.5M to $84M. 

Should Murray be looking to add at free agency to address a hole in the roster? 

I'm talking a hard push for a RHD like Pietrangelo or Barrie (or maybe trying to get Shattenkirk again), or a scoring RW - although there aren't a ton of quality wingers in free agency this year. The best RW available is probably Toffoli.

27 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

32 teams passed on him, so maybe he wasn't as much of an obvious lock?

They won 2 Cups by buying them, which then makes their rebuilds longer and more painful.  I would rather have quicker turnarounds and more playoff runs like the Ducks historically have, which involves a more conservative approach.  Fewer splashes. 

Yeah. Teams passed on Kaliyev because of character issues not because of his talent. After Caufield, most pundits viewed him as the next best goal scorer in the draft. After drafting Tracey, Murray said the reasoning was because “we need more goals in Anaheim.” With that reasoning, why not take the guy who has the highest upside to do that, which was Kaliyev? That’s what surprised me. After drafting Zegras, it seemed like a potential future duo for the Ducks. I had hoped Murray would have taken a bigger swing on a guy like Kaliyev, though now I hope that Tracey makes me regret that and pans out better.

I’d rather have the Cups. Those are what get remembered and also give you the ultimate justification for doing a rebuild. Plus, I think that the Ducks are on a longer more painful rebuild path than LA is and without having the Cups to show for it. 

2 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Even goaltending is not good this season. Gibson's GAA and save % is one of the worse in the NHL the last 2 years. I don't buy anymore an argument "it's a defense in front of him", we have one of the highest paid defense players in the league. 

why not? The team in front of him has been very bad for two seasons now, and with less talent on it. Ryan Miller hasn’t fared much better and I’m not sure what other goalies would. Gibson hasn’t had a great year but I wouldn’t be surprised if the mental toll isn’t affecting him. 

talk about a team with high paid defenders and is now really struggling, please see San Jose.

51 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah. Teams passed on Kaliyev because of character issues not because of his talent. After Caufield, most pundits viewed him as the next best goal scorer in the draft. After drafting Tracey, Murray said the reasoning was because “we need more goals in Anaheim.” With that reasoning, why not take the guy who has the highest upside to do that, which was Kaliyev? That’s what surprised me. After drafting Zegras, it seemed like a potential future duo for the Ducks. I had hoped Murray would have taken a bigger swing on a guy like Kaliyev, though now I hope that Tracey makes me regret that and pans out better.

I’d rather have the Cups. Those are what get remembered and also give you the ultimate justification for doing a rebuild. Plus, I think that the Ducks are on a longer more painful rebuild path than LA is and without having the Cups to show for it. 

why not? The team in front of him has been very bad for two seasons now, and with less talent on it. Ryan Miller hasn’t fared much better and I’m not sure what other goalies would. Gibson hasn’t had a great year but I wouldn’t be surprised if the mental toll isn’t affecting him. 

talk about a team with high paid defenders and is now really struggling, please see San Jose.

Look at last night. Gibson played great while the Ducks let them basically take shooting practice on him and eventually it was 5-1. Gibson has kept us in most games, which is a testament to his ability considering how fast the game went from 2-1 with us getting on the board to 5-1 with complete ineptitude in the defensive zone.

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

every thing you've written in the above is incorrect.  i'm pretty sure it's not salvageable even if you belatedly try to qualify the heck out of it.  

4 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson has the best combined save percentage in the league over the last 4 seasons. Obviously he's having an off year. But I'm not sure why you would look at his entire body of work and say that his only season with a sub .914 save percentage and his only season with a GAA above 2.84 is a real reflection of him as a player. He's only 26 years old, it seems pretty likely that he will bounce back next season.

13 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

track record - yes and no.  we've missed on players others have missed on, but the real problem seems to be general malaise in the ranks, across too many players, too often.  there's a coaching, management, self-responsibility issue here (there really has to be at this point), because we have the manpower to get much better scoring, but they're not being set up for success.  no team should allow a player like rakell to be in a drought like this.  as in, the coaching, GM, teammates - all of them should be switching up the lines, picking spots in the game, all kinds of moving mountains to get him scoring... and it seems like they're doing that NOW, but they should have been doing it earlier.  i'm getting the feeling that other teams are better at team psychology than we are (certainly not all of them, but some), and what we really need right now, during the rebuild, is someone championing that part of the game.  Eakins is doing his part (we could have much poorer morale), but this isn't something a head coach instituting a new system should have on his plate.  BM seems to be trying to fix this from afar with the trades, but i haven't been hearing a lot from the players about positive in person support reaching that high.  if it was felt, it would come out in the player interviews in some fashion.

i may be projecting, but there's a sense of just treading water when it comes to team morale and upper management.  there's a way to do it without bogarting Eakins' development strategy.

I haven't heard much from/about Sutter.  I'd really like to know what he's up to for the team.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Because he's an ethnic Russian? We all know how GMBM feels about Russians. Since becoming GM of the Ducks in November 2008, he's drafted exactly one Russian - Igor Bobkov (G) in 2009. GMBM probably saw Kaliyev's name on the cover of the scouting report and just threw it in the trash.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Word out there today is that the cap next season is expected to rise by at least $2.5M to $84M. 

Should Murray be looking to add at free agency to address a hole in the roster? 

I'm talking a hard push for a RHD like Pietrangelo or Barrie (or maybe trying to get Shattenkirk again), or a scoring RW - although there aren't a ton of quality wingers in free agency this year. The best RW available is probably Toffoli.

Yes, a hard push for a RHD that can run the PP, but I think the trade market is where to start. We have tons of assets and good picks. The Ducks should be looking to trade for a guy like Anthony DeAngelo. (stuck behind Trouba and Fox in New York and a pending RFA that will be asking for a raise). I would be willing to move the 1st we got from Boston and one of our prospects to get that done.

I also think we need an upgrade at center. My preference is to move Rico to LW (to take advantage of his scoring ability) and to find a legit #2C in that 23-27 y/o range via a trade. Again, we have a ton of assets and picks to play with. Adding a legit #2C would also enable the team to have more flexibility in developing Zegras, which I think will be important since he went the NCAA route rather than to juniors.

A lot of teams passed on Perry, too. In fact Murray (Bryan) kept trying to trade down so he could get Perry for the exact reason of getting the Getz/Perry duo. And the reason Perry kept dropping in the draft was due to his "recklessness" on the ice and not being a great skater. Character issues and not being a good skater. That turned out OK for us. I'd still rather have had Perry than not.

The thing is having a bad attitude is a big deal -- I agree. But when you're on a team with a buddy that you have good chemistry with already ...that trumps your bad attitude. it makes your attitude better just inherently! And getting 2 players that ALREADY have GREAT chemistry with each other I would say is WAY more important than almost most things you get in the draft.

EDIT: also, I think Perry didn't even show up to the draft game or whatever that is before the draft? i could be remembering that wrong....

Edited by Jasoaks

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

Because he's an ethnic Russian? We all know how GMBM feels about Russians. Since becoming GM of the Ducks in November 2008, he's drafted exactly one Russian - Igor Bobkov (G) in 2009. GMBM probably saw Kaliyev's name on the cover of the scouting report and just threw it in the trash.

LOL I thought the same thing.

Same reason why Galchenyuk will never play for the Ducks. He's Canadian, but his name sounds slightly Russian, so he's out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yes, a hard push for a RHD that can run the PP, but I think the trade market is where to start. We have tons of assets and good picks. The Ducks should be looking to trade for a guy like Anthony DeAngelo. (stuck behind Trouba and Fox in New York and a pending RFA that will be asking for a raise). I would be willing to move the 1st we got from Boston and one of our prospects to get that done.

I also think we need an upgrade at center. My preference is to move Rico to LW (to take advantage of his scoring ability) and to find a legit #2C in that 23-27 y/o range via a trade. Again, we have a ton of assets and picks to play with. Adding a legit #2C would also enable the team to have more flexibility in developing Zegras, which I think will be important since he went the NCAA route rather than to juniors.

I’m not sure about picking up a Forward. We kind of have a log jam. Terry, Comtois, Jones, Milano, Heinen, Rakell, Getzlaf, Rico, Backes, Aggozzino, Rowney, Sherwood, Steel, etc. I’m not sure how NHL ready Zegras is, but there’s a lot of Centers he’d have to jump over. Getzlaf Rico Backes Rowney Steel. 

We also have a pretty big logjam on the left side of our D as well. So, if we pick up a Dman it would have to be a RHD I imagine. 
Pietrangelo, Vatanen, Tanev, Kevan Miller, Barrie, Stone, Van Remsdyk, Demelo.

I would love Pietrangelo. That makes us so much better immediately, but I’m not sure if STL even part with him or if at 30 he fits into our plans or if BM is even willing to pay him. 

Vatanen /Barrie don’t really fix our problem, I think we need someone to compliment our smooth skating defensemen with a more stay at home style, someone responsible in their own end. We have Larsson(who’s starting to find his stride) Fowler, Djoos, Mahura. So I’m not sure if Vats or Barrie really help us. 

Not sure Any forwards really stand out to me as realistic targets. Toffoli, Melker Karlsson maybe?

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Even though he played for the USA World Junior team, I feel like that is the the most likely reason lol. Good thing Kaliyev isn’t on a hated divisional rival that could do max damage to the Ducks for years to come!

The Ducks might very well get that RHD in Drysdale at the draft. I know he won’t be NHL ready for at least a season under the best of circumstances but. The only asset as far as picks that the Ducks have is the Bruins pick, which if Boston wins the President’s Trophy then I believe that pick won’t be lower higher than 28th. If we had multiple seconds also then I think it gives the Ducks more expendable trade capital to play with.

Shifting Henrique to LW creates and even greater logjam there so I guess it depends on who you’d want to ship out to make space for him. Personally, if you can trade Henrique (especially coming off the season he is having) and then get a younger 2C upgrade then I agree with you that makes a lot of sense going forward. The Ducks are also full at Center next season without even accounting for Henrique and then potentially Zegras in the near future (Getzlaf, Steel, Lundestrom, Backes). 

I’m more curious to see what Murray does with all of the LHD’s. He’s been hoarding them and makes me think that there’s a greater possibility of Fowler or Lindholm could get the traded this summer. 

We can also just sign the Vatman to run our PP this offseason! 

Milano - Getz - Slifv

Heinen - Rico - Rakell

Jones - Terry - Sherwood

Deslarieres - Steel - Rowney

i dunno...these are the lines i'd use moving forward next season....with the assumption that Zegras isn't ready. If Zegras is ready....Id say that means we can spare Steel or Rico in a trade.... also i feel this shows just how weak we really are on the right side...

I also believe Terry should be a C...but if he moves to RW that could take out Sherwood or Rowney and get Lundestrom or Zegras in there....but I really think Terry should really consider being a C

i dunno....i move things around and i still don't like it. there's no real combination of forwards that makes me really see a contender in there lol we need better forwards.

40 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Milano - Getz - Slifv

Heinen - Rico - Rakell

Jones - Terry - Sherwood

i dunno...these are the lines i'd use moving forward next season....with the assumption that Zegras isn't ready. If Zegras is ready....Id say that means we can spare Steel or Rico in a trade.... also i feel this shows just how weak we really are on the right side...

I also believe Terry should be a C...but if he moves to RW that could take out Sherwood or Rowney and get Lundestrom or Zegras in there....but I really think Terry should really consider being a C

i dunno....i move things around and i still don't like it. there's no real combination of forwards that makes me really see a contender in there lol we need better forwards.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Milano 

Heinen - Rico - Terry 

Jones - Steel - Silfverberg 

Rowney - Backes - Sherwood 

Lindholm - Manson

Fowler - Gudbranson

Larsson - Djoos 

I like Djoos and I like what Larsson has been showing me. I read Djoos played on the right side  in Washington. Not sure what we do with Mahura/Irwin. 

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Honestly, isn't this enough to fire him on its own?  You can handwave away something like this for four or five years, but we're 12 years in.  I've heard Russia has some good players (I don't know, seeing as how we never have any, although the ones who play against us do pretty well).  Ignoring an entire, productive hockey market is poor strategy at best and cultural prejudice at worst (I don't have any evidence of the latter, but it's hard not to wonder).  I knew Murray would never draft Kaliyev - ethnically Russian with all of the work ethic and "enigmatic" labels?  That's basically like asking Murray to draft his own version of kryptonite.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The only asset as far as picks that the Ducks have is the Bruins pick, which if Boston wins the President’s Trophy then I believe that pick won’t be lower higher than 28th. If we had multiple seconds also then I think it gives the Ducks more expendable trade capital to play with.

If the Bruins got the President's trophy but lost in the first round (please God, make this happen), I believe they would get the 23rd pick.

2 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Rakell - Getzlaf - Milano 

Heinen - Rico - Terry 

Jones - Steel - Silfverberg 

Rowney - Backes - Sherwood 

Lindholm - Manson

Fowler - Gudbranson

Larsson - Djoos 

I like Djoos and I like what Larsson has been showing me. I read Djoos played on the right side  in Washington. Not sure what we do with Mahura/Irwin. 

That forward group is a recipe for another season like this one.  A couple of the kids might improve, but it's basically the same team only with a washed up Backes instead elite #1C Derek Grantzlaf.  If we're cool with that, then no need to make a trade.  If the goal is to get better for the long-term as well as the short-term, I'd rather trade for a winger who can score, someone who can play alongside Zegras in the future and put his nice passes into the net.  Unless Henrique is involved in the trade, then a center makes sense.  I don't see an issue playing Henrique at center until Zegras is ready.

Irwin is a free agent, I believe.  Even if not, he's a 7th d-man at best.  I could see Mahura in the lineup instead of Larsson.  Play Gudbranson alongside Mahura and move Djoos up next to Fowler.  Fowler has a lot of experience playing with a lefty on his right side.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Milano - Getz - Slifv

Heinen - Rico - Rakell

Jones - Terry - Sherwood

I think Terry is a natural pivot too...which is why I don't think we really need more centres. Henrique and Heinen can both play centre. Then we have Getz, Steel, Terry if he gets moved there, and our best forward prospect is a centre.

Steel won't be on the 4th line though. If Terry goes to centre then Henrique goes back on the wing so that Steel can play in the top 9.

Putting Sherwood on the 3rd line is a perfect example of why we should add a RW in free agency or via trade IMO. Sherwood is fine but he's never going to produce enough to be an NHL third liner. He's a fourth line/13th forward at best.

Just now, gorbachav5 said:

That forward group is a recipe for another season like this one.  A couple of the kids might improve, but it's basically the same team only with a washed up Backes instead elite #1C Derek Grantzlaf.  If we're cool with that, then no need to make a trade.  If the goal is to get better for the long-term as well as the short-term, I'd rather trade for a winger who can score, someone who can play alongside Zegras in the future and put his nice passes into the net.  Unless Henrique is involved in the trade, then a center makes sense.  I don't see an issue playing Henrique at center until Zegras is ready.

Irwin is a free agent, I believe.  Even if not, he's a 7th d-man at best.  I could see Mahura in the lineup instead of Larsson.  Play Gudbranson alongside Mahura and move Djoos up next to Fowler.  Fowler has a lot of experience playing with a lefty on his right side.

I’m just not sure who you ship out and who you add that makes the line up any better? Adding another winger creates an even bigger jam for Comtois who’s probably making his case for being up right now. We’re kind of stuck with Backes. Maybe move Rowney, slot Jones on the 4th (which I think he deserves better) and slot Comtois on the third with Steel/Silf

I think you have to bank on Rakell finding his groove, it’s not like he’s not getting chances, it’s just no bounces. I think Rakell can bounce back to 25-30 easy imo. Terry/Jones/Comtois/Steel taking the big step. Milano And Heinen haBe been producing. I think BM has kind of created a logjam of good not great players. Maybe we ship our Rico, but again your depending on Steel to take the next step and Zegras being able to immediately make an impact in the NHL. 

10 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think Terry is a natural pivot too...which is why I don't think we really need more centres. Henrique and Heinen can both play centre. Then we have Getz, Steel, Terry if he gets moved there, and our best forward prospect is a centre.

Steel won't be on the 4th line though. If Terry goes to centre then Henrique goes back on the wing so that Steel can play in the top 9.

Putting Sherwood on the 3rd line is a perfect example of why we should add a RW in free agency or via trade IMO. Sherwood is fine but he's never going to produce enough to be an NHL third liner. He's a fourth line/13th forward at best.

exactly! we need that RW....

moving Rico to the wing I think Makes Jones a bit more expendable....i like that move though. Also, I completely forgot about Comtois....he'll probably be NHL "ready" next season...hopefully. Not sure if we prefer Jones or Comtois...personally i'm kinda leaning towards Comtois.

Move Rico to LW, put Steel in top-9. Ship out Jones and Sherwood and a pick or something for an elite RW...and have Zegras or Lundestrom in for center. Bring Comtois up, too. That feels a bit better...

disclaimer: i have no idea how trades work lol

45 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think you have to bank on Rakell finding his groove, it’s not like he’s not getting chances, it’s just no bounces. I think Rakell can bounce back to 25-30 easy imo. Terry/Jones/Comtois/Steel taking the big step. Milano And Heinen haBe been producing. I think BM has kind of created a logjam of good not great players. Maybe we ship our Rico, but again your depending on Steel to take the next step and Zegras being able to immediately make an impact in the NHL. 

I'm not depending on those things because I don't think this team is competing for the playoffs for next season.  As for creating a logjam, I think the Ducks need to ship out quantity and hope to get quality in return.  Jones hasn't looked great.  Terry has been inconsistent.  Rakell has struggled, although he has the greatest upside of the bunch.

Decide who you like best and factor in who will bring in the best return and make your choice:

Lundestrom/Steel

Rakell/Comtois/Jones

Terry/Milano

Package one of each group with a pick and get a good RHD PP QB or a legitimately good 2nd line scoring winger.  Or maybe throw in one of our LHD prospects and get both.  Or do that in separate trades.  The Ducks already have a logjam, but the logs we have aren't making a mansion any time soon.  At best we're building a bungalow.  Fat chance of this happening, but the best bet for the team competing soon is to find a team or two looking to shed salary and trading a bunch of kids for their well-paid, but still good players.

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm not depending on those things because I don't think this team is competing for the playoffs for next season.  As for creating a logjam, I think the Ducks need to ship out quantity and hope to get quality in return.  Jones hasn't looked great.  Terry has been inconsistent.  Rakell has struggled, although he has the greatest upside of the bunch.

Decide who you like best and factor in who will bring in the best return and make your choice:

Lundestrom/Steel

Rakell/Comtois/Jones

Terry/Milano

Package one of each group with a pick and get a good RHD PP QB or a legitimately good 2nd line scoring winger.  Or maybe throw in one of our LHD prospects and get both.  Or do that in separate trades.  The Ducks already have a logjam, but the logs we have aren't making a mansion any time soon.  At best we're building a bungalow.  Fat chance of this happening, but the best bet for the team competing soon is to find a team or two looking to shed salary and trading a bunch of kids for their well-paid, but still good players.

I’m not talking about competing I’m talking about our team finding success with the kids we have. I don’t see a realistic path to what you’re asking. Who’s the defensemen we trade for? Who do we trade that the team would want? The clearest path is from internally. This rebuild is going to be 100% reliant on who we have now and what we have now. We want a PM D man it’s probably going to be Drysdale. Our RW will have to be Comtois/Terry developing.