The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
turnonthejets87

Looking ahead (draft)

1 hour ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Ducks are now 5-2-1 since the TDL.  That’s a 113 point pace.  Looks like GMBM did too good of a job improving the team at the TDL and will hurt his chances of getting the high pick he covets!

....i meeeeeeaaannnnn....

good? lol not saying you're doing this, but i find it funny when people complain about how good the Ducks are doing since the TDL .... "awwwh man! they're on a 113-point pace!....and i was hoping to be a contender next season!!" ..... i meeeeaaan.....

anyway, all jokes aside, to be fair, lots of factors here and really at the beginning of THIS season they were on a pretty good pace, too. but it's hard to keep up a pace like that for a full season. i'm not too concerned about our draft standings...we'll get who we get and hopefully we develop them well! Like, don't forget...players like Pastarnak and Draisitle and others weren't a #1 or #2 pick...Pastrnak was #25! in that 2014 draft Ekblad was taken first....where are the Panthers now? It's good to get a top pick...but you gotta do a lot of other things TOO to get the team going.

I'm actually really excited for our team next season...draft picks and trades and signings aside. We look good going into next season.

EDIT: I don't mean ENTIRELY aside...I mean, like, regardless of if we get a top-3 or a 4-10. And regardless of who we DO trade for....and who we DO sign. This is wtih the assumption that we use our great assets to get some good players for next season and our cap room to sign someone relatively big.

Edited by Jasoaks

4 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

They were so lucky against Ottawa last night.  They probably should have lost that game 7 - 5.  The Ducks scored pretty much every time they had possession of the puck for more than 5 seconds in the offensive zone because Ottawa is awful at defense, but otherwise, the Senators dominated that game.

Agreed. The Ducks just don’t make sense right now. 5 goals on 15 shots with Miller playing well on top of getting every conceivable bounce last night. It’s just funny that Murray wants a high draft pick and the circumstances are perfect for them to get a top-5 pick yet they are playing themselves out of it.

19 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Agreed. The Ducks just don’t make sense right now. 5 goals on 15 shots with Miller playing well on top of getting every conceivable bounce last night. It’s just funny that Murray wants a high draft pick and the circumstances are perfect for them to get a top-5 pick yet they are playing themselves out of it.

Last night had a lot of luck, but what we're seeing is the result of having forward line combos that make sense and work. If you want to go back to the tank, break up that 67-14-33 line again and put two rookies who can't finish back on Getzlaf's line. That's pretty much how Eakins bumbled his way through the majority of the season. If they keep this same forward lineup through the end of the season, we're just going to see more and more... [gulp]... goals from our forwards.

btw, love me some Elite #1C, but that 4th line hasn't missed a beat since the trade deadline. If the Ducks bring back Deslauriers-Backes-Rowney next season as their grind line, that's going to be just fine with me. That's a solid group of veterans that can help the younger players mature and grow into real NHLers while still contributing on the score sheet.

4 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Last night had a lot of luck, but what we're seeing is the result of having forward line combos that make sense and work. If you want to go back to the tank, break up that 67-14-33 line again and put two rookies who can't finish back on Getzlaf's line. That's pretty much how Eakins bumbled his way through the majority of the season. If they keep this same forward lineup through the end of the season, we're just going to see more and more... [gulp]... goals from our forwards.

btw, love me some Elite #1C, but that 4th line hasn't missed a beat since the trade deadline. If the Ducks bring back Deslauriers-Backes-Rowney next season as their grind line, that's going to be just fine with me. That's a solid group of veterans that can help the younger players mature and grow into real NHLers while still contributing on the score sheet.

OH NO!!...anything but that!!!! :P 

and i completely agree with that 4th line. They all are working really hard. BM was saying he wants to resign Grant...but I just don't know where he would really fit with that 4th line clicking so well....unless...he's thinking for Grant as 3C. And he might be. Keeping Rico with 67/33 and probably thinking Terry goes to the wing. That's not terrible down the middle... Getz, Rico, Grant, Backes/Rowney.

I'd be super nervous if he's thinking moving Rico to the wing and grant to a 2C...as much as I'd like to have Terry as a C and Rico on the wing, it just doesn't look as strong as 15, 14, 38, 21/24

Like....this is us without taking into consideration any trades or surprise signings (grant being the exception as BM has specifically called out signing him again).....or draft picks or Zegras being ready....

Milano - Getz - Rico

Rakell - Rico - Silfv

Comtois - Grant - Terry

FrenchyD - Backes - Rowney

i mean....that's not too bad...maybe you put Jones instead of Comtois...but i've been reading that Comtois is more than NHL ready and I haven't been super into Jones lately so im being biased here...but also where does Steel fit in??? I've been lukewarm on Steel this season...hot/cold. But I do like him. Do we prefer Grant over Steel? Do we want to keep Milano and Heinen? We have so many options and great trade bait in the forwards alone not even looking at our D yet!!

• Like 1

Nic Del is number 10 in goal scoring on the team. The only rookie who has more goals is mad max. Ok ok so he had a hat trick.... but seriously our fourth line, if you also included the general himself, is our second best scoring line as a trio. That doesn't bode well for the team, especially going forward. We need our second and third lines to contribute more. It's embarrassing having our fourth line outscore half the team.... hopefully, and I think we've seen some positive views, the new guys can continue to contribute. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Like....this is us without taking into consideration any trades or surprise signings (grant being the exception as BM has specifically called out signing him again).....or draft picks or Zegras being ready....

Milano - Getz - Rico

Rakell - Rico - Silfv

Comtois - Grant - Terry

i mean....that's not too bad...maybe you put Jones instead of Comtois...but i've been reading that Comtois is more than NHL ready and I haven't been super into Jones lately so im being biased here...but also where does Steel fit in??? I've been lukewarm on Steel this season...hot/cold. But I do like him. Do we prefer Grant over Steel? Do we want to keep Milano and Heinen? We have so many options and great trade bait in the forwards alone not even looking at our D yet!!

Rico is playing so well, he gets top line RW and 2nd line C duties! Heh, I'm not sure the Ducks can get away with double-shifting him over the full 82. ;)

I think someone here mentioned that Heinan played some center in Boston. Can anyone confirm that? If true, maybe Heinan slots into that 3C role next season between Comtois and Terry and GMBM finds a true scorer to play top line RW, either via trade or UFA. Heinan and Terry played together in college, so maybe there's some pre-existing chemistry there? (crosses fingers).

Either way, what to do with Steel and Lundestrom? Steel is still only 22 (just turned in February), but he just has not impressed so far at either end of the ice. I'm still pulling for him, but so far I don't think he's shown any particular tools in his toolbox that would lead us to believe his ceiling will be higher than a 30-35 point 3C in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong though. I also haven't seen Lundestrom play much this season in San Diego, but he also doesn't seem to be having a great year down there, so he'll likely need to make a big improvement to snatch the 3C role next season. That said, Getzlaf turns 35 in May, Rico turns 31 midway through the 2020-21 season, and I think it's pretty unlikely Zegras will be ready for a top-6 role any time soon. Our center depth over the next few seasons looks a bit sketchy to me, so I'd still like to see GMBM use some of our assets to bring in a young center with a higher ceiling than Steel/Lundestrom to help with the re-tool.

For the upcoming draft, it would make sense to me if GMBM is targeting either Alexander Holtz or Lucas Raymond (both right-shot Swedish wingers), assuming we don't draw into the top-2 lottery spots.

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rico is playing so well, he gets top line RW and 2nd line C duties! Heh, I'm not sure the Ducks can get away with double-shifting him over the full 82. ;)

HA! i meant Heinen there....but i think you figured that out :P

That would be great if Heinen and Terry could have some chemistry already! I wonder if that played a part in getting him....

I've been consdiering Lunderstrom as not NHL ready yet. But maybe I'm wrong. Steel and him could be good trade bait to get that really good top RW. Or top RHD. Or yeah, maybe get a better 2C. I still feel we're in a good spot though considering all the assets we have to play with and use to get more proven players. I think Getz is a beast and I think he'll keep being a beast till his late 30s. He takes good care of himself and he isn't as rough and tumble as like Perry.

There are too many options! I can't imagine BM isn't figuring them all out and seeing what he sees as the best moves in the off-season.

19 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

HA! i meant Heinen there....but i think you figured that out :P

That would be great if Heinen and Terry could have some chemistry already! I wonder if that played a part in getting him....

I've been consdiering Lunderstrom as not NHL ready yet. But maybe I'm wrong. Steel and him could be good trade bait to get that really good top RW. Or top RHD. Or yeah, maybe get a better 2C. I still feel we're in a good spot though considering all the assets we have to play with and use to get more proven players. I think Getz is a beast and I think he'll keep being a beast till his late 30s. He takes good care of himself and he isn't as rough and tumble as like Perry.

There are too many options! I can't imagine BM isn't figuring them all out and seeing what he sees as the best moves in the off-season.

Exactly this. Murray is staring at a 3D chess game right now with all the assets this team has, the expansion draft around the corner, and apparently little  to no pressure from ownership to succeed any time soon. It’s fun to speculate about what would make this team better in the short and long term, but no one really has any idea what’s going on inside GMBM’s mind except for GMBM.

Edited by dtsdlaw

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I always want them to win, so this doesn't really concern me.  The ping pong balls will fall where they may.  I don't believe in "playing themselves out of it."  They're winning partially because of luck, but also because they are probably better than the bottom five teams and some of it is luck evening out from earlier games.  I thought they played pretty darn well against Toronto and deserved the win there.  I think 6th - 10th worst team in the league is about right for them, so if they get lottery odds in that range, it won't bother me.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think Backes is pretty toasty.  He looked fine against the Senators because they're the Senators, but he can't skate or hold onto pucks.  And you know how I feel about Deslauriers.  Rowney is good on the PK, but is a disaster 5-on-5.  Rowney and Deslauriers are coming back next year, but I'd replace Backes with Lundestrom and try to get at least one better winger out there with him.

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

....i meeeeeeaaannnnn....

good? lol not saying you're doing this, but i find it funny when people complain about how good the Ducks are doing since the TDL .... "awwwh man! they're on a 113-point pace!....and i was hoping to be a contender next season!!" ..... i meeeeaaan.....

anyway, all jokes aside, to be fair, lots of factors here and really at the beginning of THIS season they were on a pretty good pace, too. but it's hard to keep up a pace like that for a full season. i'm not too concerned about our draft standings...we'll get who we get and hopefully we develop them well! Like, don't forget...players like Pastarnak and Draisitle and others weren't a #1 or #2 pick...Pastrnak was #25! in that 2014 draft Ekblad was taken first....where are the Panthers now? It's good to get a top pick...but you gotta do a lot of other things TOO to get the team going.

I'm actually really excited for our team next season...draft picks and trades and signings aside. We look good going into next season.

EDIT: I don't mean ENTIRELY aside...I mean, like, regardless of if we get a top-3 or a 4-10. And regardless of who we DO trade for....and who we DO sign. This is wtih the assumption that we use our great assets to get some good players for next season and our cap room to sign someone relatively big.

I’m really crossing my fingers for the draft lottery and the draft. Getting a top-2 pick would be massive, and Lafreniere would be an franchise changer. Elliotte Friedman brought up the point that historically, the talent drop off after the top two picks is noticeable. Whoever we draft is likely at least a year out from playing on the Ducks under the best case scenario.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yeah, the 4th line has been fine and it appears Grant was holding back Delausiers all this time! 

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Milano - Getz - Rico

Rakell - Rico - Silfv

Comtois - Grant - Terry

I think that lineup needs more scoring on it. I don’t see the PP significantly improving with that group.

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I think someone here mentioned that Heinan played some center in Boston. Can anyone confirm that? If true, maybe Heinan slots into that 3C role next season between Comtois and Terry and GMBM finds a true scorer to play top line RW, either via trade or UFA. Heinan and Terry played together in college, so maybe there's some pre-existing chemistry there? (crosses fingers).

Either way, what to do with Steel and Lundestrom? Steel is still only 22 (just turned in February), but he just has not impressed so far at either end of the ice. I'm still pulling for him, but so far I don't think he's shown any particular tools in his toolbox that would lead us to believe his ceiling will be higher than a 30-35 point 3C in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong though. I also haven't seen Lundestrom play much this season in San Diego, but he also doesn't seem to be having a great year down there, so he'll likely need to make a big improvement to snatch the 3C role next season. That said, Getzlaf turns 35 in May, Rico turns 31 midway through the 2020-21 season, and I think it's pretty unlikely Zegras will be ready for a top-6 role any time soon. Our center depth over the next few seasons looks a bit sketchy to me, so I'd still like to see GMBM use some of our assets to bring in a young center with a higher ceiling than Steel/Lundestrom to help with the re-tool.

For the upcoming draft, it would make sense to me if GMBM is targeting either Alexander Holtz or Lucas Raymond (both right-shot Swedish wingers), assuming we don't draw into the top-2 lottery spots.

yeah, if Steel ends up being a 3C then that’s still fine but him and Lundestrom are then likely battling for the same spot. Steel has had flashes of being very good but more often than not, he’s invisible on the ice. He needs to make a noticeable jump next season. 

If the Ducks fall out of the top-5 then I think there’s a chance that they miss out in Raymond, Holtz and even Drysdale who are all guys I’d like a chance at taking.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I always want them to win, so this doesn't really concern me.  The ping pong balls will fall where they may.  I don't believe in "playing themselves out of it."  They're winning partially because of luck, but also because they are probably better than the bottom five teams and some of it is luck evening out from earlier games.  I thought they played pretty darn well against Toronto and deserved the win there.  I think 6th - 10th worst team in the league is about right for them, so if they get lottery odds in that range, it won't bother me.

Yeah, you’re ultimately at the mercy of those stupid ping pong balls. I’d settle for just drafting ahead of LA lol.

31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, you’re ultimately at the mercy of those stupid ping pong balls. I’d settle for just drafting ahead of LA lol.

And then taking the guy they wanted, even if he wasn't as high on our list...

9 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

And then taking the guy they wanted, even if he wasn't as high on our list...

It’s more like getting the highest possible guy on our list. If that happens to be the guy LA wanted then that’s just an added bonus, assuming we would want the same player. I’d rather us be in that position than the other way around. Especially, if it’s in the top-2. LA is already going to add another really good player to their already loaded system. If LA wins the draft lottery and we don’t then I think the gulf between them and the Ducks widens even more going forward. God forbid they get Lafreniere.

7 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that lineup needs more scoring on it. I don’t see the PP significantly improving with that group.

Unless we get a better assistant coach who actually knows what a good pp looks like. :ph34r:

Scoring could go through the roof. "Oh so you're saying we don't have to pass it around on the perimeter and eventually just lose it? Sounds like it might work but our previous coach was pretty adamant that was a good plan..... ok hold on... *goal horn goes off* what was that?" 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’m really crossing my fingers for the draft lottery and the draft. Getting a top-2 pick would be massive, and Lafreniere would be an franchise changer. Elliotte Friedman brought up the point that historically, the talent drop off after the top two picks is noticeable. Whoever we draft is likely at least a year out from playing on the Ducks under the best case scenario.

Yeah, the 4th line has been fine and it appears Grant was holding back Delausiers all this time! 

yeah, if Steel ends up being a 3C then that’s still fine but him and Lundestrom are then likely battling for the same spot. Steel has had flashes of being very good but more often than not, he’s invisible on the ice. He needs to make a noticeable jump next season. 

If the Ducks fall out of the top-5 then I think there’s a chance that they miss out in Raymond, Holtz and even Drysdale who are all guys I’d like a chance at taking.

You never know what players the other teams are looking at drafting ahead of their projected slot (Moritz Seider!?!), but I saw Sportsnet had their February rankings as Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Raymond, Lundell, and Mercer, in that order. It looks pretty likely that the Ducks will end up somewhere between 4th - 7th in the draft lottery odds, with 4th/5th most likely because all of the tiebreakers fall in their favor. I will be shocked if they draft higher than 7th. I also have a good feeling this is our year for a ping pong ball to get us in the top-3. :D

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

You never know what players the other teams are looking at drafting ahead of their projected slot (Moritz Seider!?!), but I saw Sportsnet had their February rankings as Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Raymond, Lundell, and Mercer, in that order. It looks pretty likely that the Ducks will end up somewhere between 4th - 7th in the draft lottery odds, with 4th/5th most likely because all of the tiebreakers fall in their favor. I will be shocked if they draft higher than 7th. I also have a good feeling this is our year for a ping pong ball to get us in the top-3. :D

That applies with BM too. Remember him drafting Lindholm? Any of the current Top 10 besides the Russian goalie would benefit Anaheim. I'm just worried about Murray being obsessed with getting a D-Man that he would take a chance at someone outside the Top 10.

15 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

That applies with BM too. Remember him drafting Lindholm? Any of the current Top 10 besides the Russian goalie would benefit Anaheim. I'm just worried about Murray being obsessed with getting a D-Man that he would take a chance at someone outside the Top 10.

yeah, and that was a great pick! good job Murray!

the NHL redrafted the 2012 draft and had him move up 2 spots to #4....that wasn't exactly a great year...

15 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

the NHL redrafted the 2012 draft and had him move up 2 spots to #4....that wasn't exactly a great year...

Of course the first time in years that we have a top-6 pick had to be the weakest draft in forever.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Of course the first time in years that we have a top-6 pick had to be the weakest draft in forever.

Yeah That Draft was something was hoping they Select a Goalie in First Round.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 3/12/2020 at 5:14 PM, Jasoaks said:

He was the #1 ranked European d-man so it shouldn't have been such a big deal to draft him at #6. I just remember the draft broadcast with the announcers losing their minds that he was drafted that high. With that in mind, if we don't get Drysdale and BM wants a RHD then the next highest ranked is Braden Schneider. I watched a small video of him and he reminds me of Manson when Manson was good.

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:05 PM, perry_mvp said:

He was the #1 ranked European d-man so it shouldn't have been such a big deal to draft him at #6. I just remember the draft broadcast with the announcers losing their minds that he was drafted that high. With that in mind, if we don't get Drysdale and BM wants a RHD then the next highest ranked is Braden Schneider. I watched a small video of him and he reminds me of Manson when Manson was good.

There are other Good RHD in this draft. Justin Barron,Brock Faber,Mitchell Miller.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Just a reminder to anyone still checking these boards that the draft lottery is this Friday, June 26th at 5pm (California time). The Ducks have the 5th best odds at 8.5%.

I have a good feeling this is our year to move up with the lottery. The Devils jumped from the #5 slot to the #1 slot in 2017 with our same odds. I think we end up somewhere in the top-3 this time too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Just a reminder to anyone still checking these boards that the draft lottery is this Friday, June 26th at 5pm (California time). The Ducks have the 5th best odds at 8.5%.

I have a good feeling this is our year to move up with the lottery. The Devils jumped from the #5 slot to the #1 slot in 2017 with our same odds. I think we end up somewhere in the top-3 this time too.

Yeah but the Devils had Taylor Hall signed soooo....

Part of me is half-hoping (but also not really) that one of the Qualifier Teams A-H or whatever get the #1 pick. It would be absolutely insane and just almost be a perfect way for 2020 to continue...

It's crazy that if any of the Qualifier Teams letters get into the top 3...that will basically create scenarios where teams will KNOW BEFORE THEY PLAY what pick they could get. Like if A gets the top pick, Montreal knows they are guaranteed that pick if they lose. If H gets the top pick...Pittsburgh knows they are guaranteed that pick if they lose.

Been waiting on thIs lottery for almost 3 months. All I know is that I’m popping bottles if we are draftIng ahead of LA and drowning my sorrows if they get Lafreniere or Byfield.

Also, Uncle Gary owes us one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah but the Devils had Taylor Hall signed soooo....

Part of me is half-hoping (but also not really) that one of the Qualifier Teams A-H or whatever get the #1 pick. It would be absolutely insane and just almost be a perfect way for 2020 to continue...

It's crazy that if any of the Qualifier Teams letters get into the top 3...that will basically create scenarios where teams will KNOW BEFORE THEY PLAY what pick they could get. Like if A gets the top pick, Montreal knows they are guaranteed that pick if they lose. If H gets the top pick...Pittsburgh knows they are guaranteed that pick if they lose.

That’s not how it works. If one or more of the qualified teams win picks 1-3 on Friday, then there will be a 2nd lottery after the end of the qualifying round. The teams that don’t win their qualifier will then be in a new draw for whichever lottery pick(s) are up for grabs. 

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I hope you're right, although with the Ducks' luck, they'll win the lottery for the #3 pick.  Lafraniere or Byfield would be incredible, but after that I don't see a big difference between picking 3rd or picking 5th or 6th.  I'd take it, of course, but a top-2 pick would do a lot to inject some high end talent into the roster.

14 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

That’s not how it works. If one or more of the qualified teams win picks 1-3 on Friday, then there will be a 2nd lottery after the end of the qualifying round. The teams that don’t win their qualifier will then be in a new draw for whichever lottery pick(s) are up for grabs. 

oh thank god

i am so happy to have misunderstood that lol

Also, like, that's the best explanation I've heard yet...why is the NHL making it sound so complicated? lol 2 sentences. so easy.

Edited by Jasoaks

29 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I hope you're right, although with the Ducks' luck, they'll win the lottery for the #3 pick.  Lafraniere or Byfield would be incredible, but after that I don't see a big difference between picking 3rd or picking 5th or 6th.  I'd take it, of course, but a top-2 pick would do a lot to inject some high end talent into the roster.

Yep. I agree with this. We will get a player with a very good ceiling in the 3-8 range but getting a player with a great ceiling of one of the top-2 picks would make quite a difference.

• Like 2

Well Tomorrow will be the Day we see where our Ducks will be place in this year's NHL Draft. I am interested to where they will be place. Yes it's not Hockey but it's close to what we can get till Hockey Season Begins..

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck