The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
turnonthejets87

Looking ahead (draft)

its time for the, “I don’t know enough about the Ducks and don’t want to learn” mock drafts. Can’t imagine picking Perfetti over Raymond and Holtz. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sexlaf15 said:

its time for the, “I don’t know enough about the Ducks and don’t want to learn” mock drafts. Can’t imagine picking Perfetti over Raymond and Holtz. 

Raymond imho is Likely Choice for me....Lundell or Maybe Rossi....But will have to come to what Detroit,Ottawa do in picking ahead of us.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

haha seriously!

lol I love that one guy has the Kings NOT taking Byfield...that would be amazing!

I think Holtz right now would be my pick...then perfetti....then Rossi...although I don't like how small he is...but I also don't know enough about these players yet.

Honestly...sometimes I feel like we need a player who is a bit more developed or can be a self-starter or something...I just don't really trust our developing system right now...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

haha seriously!

lol I love that one guy has the Kings NOT taking Byfield...that would be amazing!

I think Holtz right now would be my pick...then perfetti....then Rossi...although I don't like how small he is...but I also don't know enough about these players yet.

Honestly...sometimes I feel like we need a player who is a bit more developed or can be a self-starter or something...I just don't really trust our developing system right now...

I think Drysdale is probably the most polished. I was down on him, but doing my research kid has some SLICK wheels. Maybe not as explosive as Makar, but I don’t think taking him would be the worst idea, he can skate. Holtz, Raymond, Drysdale have to be the ones for me. 

I also wouldn’t exactly be shocked if the Kings take Drysdale, they are loaded upfront with prospects and have tons of centers. I could see Stutzle/Byfield going 3-4 which would leave Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti for us. 

11 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think Drysdale is probably the most polished. I was down on him, but doing my research kid has some SLICK wheels. Maybe not as explosive as Makar, but I don’t think taking him would be the worst idea, he can skate. Holtz, Raymond, Drysdale have to be the ones for me. 

Yeah, if Drysdale falls to #6 then I think he's the Ducks' pick. Though, I agree with all 3 of the mock drafts that the 1-5 picks will likely involve Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi and Drysdale. The one's who chose us to take Perfetti don't have too much of an understanding of the Ducks or Bob Murray lol. One possible wrinkle is that CHL seasons could start up again prior the NHL draft. If that happens, who knows how that could effect team's draft boards. Whoever the Ducks select isn't likely to make the NHL right away and would be going back to juniors or Sweden for another year. Holtz is still the likely pick to me, followed by Raymond. A possible long shot, dark horse pick could be a guy like Jack Quinn but I don't think Murray would reach that far.

11 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I also wouldn’t exactly be shocked if the Kings take Drysdale, they are loaded upfront with prospects and have tons of centers. I could see Stutzle/Byfield going 3-4 which would leave Raymond, Holtz, Rossi, Perfetti for us. 

I'll be shocked if the Kings don't take Byfield unless they feel like they have the next 1C lock in their system which is still way too early to tell, IMO. If the Kings do want Drysdale or Stutzle instead of Byfield, then they should see if Ottawa would trade up a spot to get him..

7 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, if Drysdale falls to #6 then I think he's the Ducks' pick. Though, I agree with all 3 of the mock drafts that the 1-5 picks will likely involve Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi and Drysdale. The one's who chose us to take Perfetti don't have too much of an understanding of the Ducks or Bob Murray lol. One possible wrinkle is that CHL seasons could start up again prior the NHL draft. If that happens, who knows how that could effect team's draft boards. Whoever the Ducks select isn't likely to make the NHL right away and would be going back to juniors or Sweden for another year. Holtz is still the likely pick to me, followed by Raymond. A possible long shot, dark horse pick could be a guy like Jack Quinn but I don't think Murray would reach that far.

I'll be shocked if the Kings don't take Byfield unless they feel like they have the next 1C lock in their system which is still way too early to tell, IMO. If the Kings do want Drysdale or Stutzle instead of Byfield, then they should see if Ottawa would trade up a spot to get him..

I think Drysdale could fall. Ottawa is pretty set on their D and need forward help BAD. I could see them with Stutzle/Byfield/Rossi. Although I don’t know if Detroit passes on Drysdale. I would much rather have Holtz than Raymond/Perfetti. If Holtz isn’t available I’d rather just reach for Quinn honestly. Perfetti is a worse Zegras imo. Raymond is good, just not super high on him. 

I think Drysdale could fall. Ottawa is pretty set on their D and need forward help BAD. I could see them with Stutzle/Byfield/Rossi. Although I don’t know if Detroit passes on Drysdale. I would much rather have Holtz than Raymond/Perfetti. If Holtz isn’t available I’d rather just reach for Quinn honestly. Perfetti is a worse Zegras imo. Raymond is good, just not super high on him. 

Actually, after looking at Detroit's prospect/depth chart, there's a chance that they don't take Drysdale since they drafted Seider last year and have Filip Hronek on the right side for the foreseeable future. Ottawa is set on the left side with Chabot and Brannstrom with Zaitsev and ultimately Bernard-Docker and Lassi Thomson on the right side, so I think you're right that Drysdale falling is more likely then I originally thought. LA would have been a good landing spot for Drysdale also if they hadn't gotten #2 OA. 

Still think that Drysdale is the pick if he's available, if not then Holtz would be the guy. In regards to Quinn, I think it all depends how high Murray is on him compared to Holtz/Raymond. If Murray thinks that there isn't much of a gap between those guys, then him trading back a spot or two in order to get some more assets, then drafting one of them would be an extremely savvy move. 

4 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Actually, after looking at Detroit's prospect/depth chart, there's a chance that they don't take Drysdale since they drafted Seider last year and have Filip Hronek on the right side for the foreseeable future. Ottawa is set on the left side with Chabot and Brannstrom with Zaitsev and ultimately Bernard-Docker and Lassi Thomson on the right side, so I think you're right that Drysdale falling is more likely then I originally thought. LA would have been a good landing spot for Drysdale also if they hadn't gotten #2 OA. 

Still think that Drysdale is the pick if he's available, if not then Holtz would be the guy. In regards to Quinn, I think it all depends how high Murray is on him compared to Holtz/Raymond. If Murray thinks that there isn't much of a gap between those guys, then him trading back a spot or two in order to get some more assets, then drafting one of them would be an extremely savvy move. 

If Holtz/Drysdale are available you have to take them, especially Drysdale. I like Rossi, but idk if he has the scoring ability that we need. Two way guy and I think we’re pretty good down the middle, unless it’s a Byfield type star quality guy. Holtz/Drysdale is dream imo. 

I have Feeling Ducks will select either Drysdale or Rossi 6th overall but it won't surprise if they select Holtz.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

If Holtz/Drysdale are available you have to take them, especially Drysdale. I like Rossi, but idk if he has the scoring ability that we need. Two way guy and I think we’re pretty good down the middle, unless it’s a Byfield type star quality guy. Holtz/Drysdale is dream imo. 

I definitely agree with that about Drysdale more so than Holtz because Drysdale has the benefit of being the clear cut-top ranked defensemen in the draft. He checks all of the boxes that Murray wants in a defensemen, especially for the PP. I'm pretty high on Rossi and would actually take him over Drysdale at #6, but I think he's gone before then. That said, Murray is likely targeting a natural shooters/scorers if he can't get Drysdale. In that sense, I think that it goes Holtz, then Quinn/Perfetti with the question being how large of a gap is there and would it be enough that you don't consider moving back to get additional picks. That's the only thing I can see that could make things interesting even though I don't think Murray would do something as bold as that with a top-10 pick.

Ultimately, we both agree that Drysdale or Holtz are going to be the picks and can't complain about either of them lol.

I'm still so piddleed that LA got #2! 2020 continues to be awful.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I definitely agree with that about Drysdale more so than Holtz because Drysdale has the benefit of being the clear cut-top ranked defensemen in the draft. He checks all of the boxes that Murray wants in a defensemen, especially for the PP. I'm pretty high on Rossi and would actually take him over Drysdale at #6, but I think he's gone before then. That said, Murray is likely targeting a natural shooters/scorers if he can't get Drysdale. In that sense, I think that it goes Holtz, then Quinn/Perfetti with the question being how large of a gap is there and would it be enough that you don't consider moving back to get additional picks. That's the only thing I can see that could make things interesting even though I don't think Murray would do something as bold as that with a top-10 pick.

Ultimately, we both agree that Drysdale or Holtz are going to be the picks and can't complain about either of them lol.

I'm still so piddleed that LA got #2! 2020 continues to be awful.

LA getting 2 and a playoff team getting 1 is the most infuriating thing. 

21 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

LA getting 2 and a playoff team getting 1 is the most infuriating thing. 

ABSOLUTELY...this.

But when you look at it...if you look at the "qualifying balls" as "one team"...that "team" actually had basically the highest percentage of getting the #1 pick at 24.5% ...that's if you add up all the percentages of the playoff team balls. Ottawa technically had a 25% chance of getting the #1.....and got the #3 spot. But basically that's just to say honestly, Ottawa should be the most piddleed haha

But, so like, are any of you guys worried about size??? Is Murray? I for one love me the big, talented, getz/perry type players...Raymond at 5'10"...Perfetti 5'10"...Drysdale as a D at 5'11"...Rossi is 5'9"?! I'm sure these are the exaggerated heights, too...rounding up. Holtz is 6'...but I dunno. I know the "nhl is changing" but if you look at the teams winning the cup...they've got size. And toughness all over.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

ABSOLUTELY...this.

But when you look at it...if you look at the "qualifying balls" as "one team"...that "team" actually had basically the highest percentage of getting the #1 pick at 24.5% ...that's if you add up all the percentages of the playoff team balls. Ottawa technically had a 25% chance of getting the #1.....and got the #3 spot. But basically that's just to say honestly, Ottawa should be the most piddleed haha

But, so like, are any of you guys worried about size??? Is Murray? I for one love me the big, talented, getz/perry type players...Raymond at 5'10"...Perfetti 5'10"...Drysdale as a D at 5'11"...Rossi is 5'9"?! I'm sure these are the exaggerated heights, too...rounding up. Holtz is 6'...but I dunno. I know the "nhl is changing" but if you look at the teams winning the cup...they've got size. And toughness all over.

Depends. I think the most important skill right now is the ability to avoid heavy contact. Guys like Pettersson are super good at it and someone like Jack Hughes Struggled and his season was subpar. Rossi could be a star if he can avoid heavy contact with the puck and have dogged forechecking. 

22 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I'm with this bolded part 100%. Drysdale would be sweet, but I don't think he makes it past Ottawa's second pick at #5 overall. Ottawa needs forwards, but they also have another 1st rounder from the Isles (possibly, unless the Isles win that #1 overall) and four (4!!) second round picks in this draft too. With likely 7 picks in the first two rounds, I think they almost HAVE to use one of their top-5 picks on a high end defensive prospect. Especially since they already have several young, high-end forwards to build around. There doesn't seem to be that many defenders ranked in the top-30, so if they pass on a defender at #5 then they may not get one at all.

As for Holtz, I love his shot and especially his shoot-first mentality. Dude wants to score every shift and he is not timid about putting the puck on net. He also seems to be pretty good at picking corners. That's something this team needs badly. I worry that if FG3M (future-GM Martin Madden) goes after a guy like Raymond or Perfetti we're going to end up with just another pass-first guy (like Terry) that frustrates the heck out of the fans. I want a guy who loves to score as much as Teemu loved to score. That's Holtz IMO.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

The more I research the more I like Jack Quinn. Another pure goal scorer. Always wants to get into high danger areas. Ability to be physical, good on the boards. Stick handling. 

53 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm with this bolded part 100%. Drysdale would be sweet, but I don't think he makes it past Ottawa's second pick at #5 overall. Ottawa needs forwards, but they also have another 1st rounder from the Isles (possibly, unless the Isles win that #1 overall) and four (4!!) second round picks in this draft too. With likely 7 picks in the first two rounds, I think they almost HAVE to use one of their top-5 picks on a high end defensive prospect. Especially since they already have several young, high-end forwards to build around. There doesn't seem to be that many defenders ranked in the top-30, so if they pass on a defender at #5 then they may not get one at all.

As for Holtz, I love his shot and especially his shoot-first mentality. Dude wants to score every shift and he is not timid about putting the puck on net. He also seems to be pretty good at picking corners. That's something this team needs badly. I worry that if FG3M (future-GM Martin Madden) goes after a guy like Raymond or Perfetti we're going to end up with just another pass-first guy (like Terry) that frustrates the heck out of the fans. I want a guy who loves to score as much as Teemu loved to score. That's Holtz IMO.

This is what the Ducks should be doing going forward, IMO: Acquiring numerous first and second round picks for the rebuild. LA and Ottawa seem to understand the concept and hopefully Murray/Madden will follow suit in the near future. I think if Ottawa didn't have Chabot and Branstrom, not to mention Thomson and Docker in the pipeline then Drysdale would be a slam-dunk for them. Drysdale being a RHD is why it's possible that they take him, not to mention he'd be their best RHD prospect even with  all of those guys being 1st round picks. Chabot is a franchise defensemen and Brannstrom as one of the highest ranked D prospects in the league. I think that they are taking Rossi at #3 and Stutzle if he falls past Detroit. Though, given how the lottery turned out, I think the Ducks have a much better chance at getting Drysdale now.

I don't think Perfetti is on Murray's radar since Murray's made it a point that he's looking for shooters which would be Holtz. Jack Quinn I think is a good 2B shooting option but can't see Murray reaching like that.

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

While the team does need a shooter, the pass-first guys are my favorites. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

This is what the Ducks should be doing going forward, IMO: Acquiring numerous first and second round picks for the rebuild. LA and Ottawa seem to understand the concept and hopefully Murray/Madden will follow suit in the near future. I think if Ottawa didn't have Chabot and Branstrom, not to mention Thomson and Docker in the pipeline then Drysdale would be a slam-dunk for them. Drysdale being a RHD is why it's possible that they take him, not to mention he'd be their best RHD prospect even with  all of those guys being 1st round picks. Chabot is a franchise defensemen and Brannstrom as one of the highest ranked D prospects in the league. I think that they are taking Rossi at #3 and Stutzle if he falls past Detroit. Though, given how the lottery turned out, I think the Ducks have a much better chance at getting Drysdale now.

I don't think Perfetti is on Murray's radar since Murray's made it a point that he's looking for shooters which would be Holtz. Jack Quinn I think is a good 2B shooting option but can't see Murray reaching like that.

If you're Ottawa, I'm not sure how you hitch your wagon to two U20 RHDs that were drafted near the end the 1st round (Jacob Larsson territory) when you have a legit top-5 prospect available as your second of two top-5 picks. And as far as I know, JBD is still in college and carries the risk of Jultzing them (because why wouldn't you Jultz the Senators if you had the chance!) so it would be pretty foolish to pass on Drysdale if JBD still hasn't signed a pro contract by the time the draft rolls around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you're Ottawa, I'm not sure how you hitch your wagon to two U20 RHDs that were drafted near the end the 1st round (Jacob Larsson territory) when you have a legit top-5 prospect available as your second of two top-5 picks. And as far as I know, JBD is still in college and carries the risk of Jultzing them (because why wouldn't you Jultz the Senators if you had the chance!) so it would be pretty foolish to pass on Drysdale if JBD still hasn't signed a pro contract by the time the draft rolls around.

Good point. I didn't realize that JBD is playing in the NCAA and hasn't signed. That could certainly complicate things. I don't see why JBD wouldn't Schultz them and force them to trade his rights if Ottawa takes Drysdale. My feeling is that Ottawa would be hitching their wagon more to Chabot and Brannstrom, but adding Drysdale could give them the most dynamic blue line in the NHL. Ottawa is going to have a prospect pool only rivaled by LA after this draft. I put it at 65-35 that Drysdale is gone by #6 now lol. I wonder what Yzerman will do with Detroit's pick. You'd think that it would be Stutzle, but he drafted Seider at #6 last year and has no problem going off the board. What it Stutzle is available at #6??

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

if BM was telling the truth, it'll probably be Holtz over Ray or Perf.

IF it is...We should not be surprised.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Good point. I didn't realize that JBD is playing in the NCAA and hasn't signed. That could certainly complicate things. I don't see why JBD wouldn't Schultz them and force them to trade his rights if Ottawa takes Drysdale. My feeling is that Ottawa would be hitching their wagon more to Chabot and Brannstrom, but adding Drysdale could give them the most dynamic blue line in the NHL. Ottawa is going to have a prospect pool only rivaled by LA after this draft. I put it at 65-35 that Drysdale is gone by #6 now lol. I wonder what Yzerman will do with Detroit's pick. You'd think that it would be Stutzle, but he drafted Seider at #6 last year and has no problem going off the board. What it Stutzle is available at #6??

Stutzle is the consensus 3, isn't he?  Why wouldn't Ottawa grab him?  I think it's pretty unlikely he's there at 6, but if he is, the Ducks should absolutely take him.

Count me among those who think Drysdale is gone by 6.  Ottawa needs help everywhere and there's no reason not to take a potential top pairing RHD when this draft is incredibly light on quality defense prospects.  They could potentially get solid forwards with their 700 picks in later rounds; the pickings are a lot slimmer with d-men.  My only hope was that Ottawa or Detroit could reach a bit and take Askarov as a top goalie prospect, but after doing a bit of research, Ottawa already has a pretty good one in the pipeline, and goalie seems like a luxury for Detroit at this stage in their rebuild.  It's possible that happens, but not very likely.

If Stutzle or Drysdale fall to the Ducks, you take either one without much thought.  It's the next tier of guys that I have no idea on: Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, or Raymond.  Holtz is probably the guy with the skill they most need, and he's got more size than the other three, but I'm not completely sold.  I think Holtz is the guy you take if he's there; if not, I have no idea.

Ducks should look into Drafting Anton Lundell....won't hurt if they draft a Finn who is two way forward.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

16 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Stutzle is the consensus 3, isn't he?  Why wouldn't Ottawa grab him?  I think it's pretty unlikely he's there at 6, but if he is, the Ducks should absolutely take him.

Count me among those who think Drysdale is gone by 6.  Ottawa needs help everywhere and there's no reason not to take a potential top pairing RHD when this draft is incredibly light on quality defense prospects.  They could potentially get solid forwards with their 700 picks in later rounds; the pickings are a lot slimmer with d-men.  My only hope was that Ottawa or Detroit could reach a bit and take Askarov as a top goalie prospect, but after doing a bit of research, Ottawa already has a pretty good one in the pipeline, and goalie seems like a luxury for Detroit at this stage in their rebuild.  It's possible that happens, but not very likely.

If Stutzle or Drysdale fall to the Ducks, you take either one without much thought.  It's the next tier of guys that I have no idea on: Perfetti, Rossi, Holtz, or Raymond.  Holtz is probably the guy with the skill they most need, and he's got more size than the other three, but I'm not completely sold.  I think Holtz is the guy you take if he's there; if not, I have no idea.

I'd be surprised if Ottawa doesn't take Rossi with one of their picks and think that the other pick would be Stutzle or Drysdale. If Stutzle is available, then I agree that we should take him, but will Murray? My gut tells me he's wedded to a RH shooter if he can't get Drysdale. Maybe I was given too much hope in Drysdale falling to #6. Ottawa can always just trade one of their other defensemen to address other needs.

I like Holtz a lot. Hard working, can shoot from any position, shoots often, not too bad in his own zone. I think Holtz can be a very consistent NHL guy pretty quickly with his skill set. 

Reading mock drafts that have us taking Perfetti givr me a headache. Perfetti has talent, and IQ, but imo he’s off the Steel/Lundestrom mood, high floor low ceiling and we desperately need goals and I cannot see us passing Holtz to draft Perfetti 

Reading mock drafts that have us taking Perfetti givr me a headache. Perfetti has talent, and IQ, but imo he’s off the Steel/Lundestrom mood, high floor low ceiling and we desperately need goals and I cannot see us passing Holtz to draft Perfetti 

I chalk that up to most people not following the Ducks or knowing Barstool Bob Murray. Perfetti is very good and ranked in the 6-10 range but I don't think there's any real chance that Murray takes him. I think Detroit is the wild card at #4 if they don't take Rossi/Stutzle/Drysdale. If they take Raymond or Perfetti then things get interesting for us. One thing about Murray though is that over the last two drafts, his first picks were pretty predictable depending on who was on the board (Lundestrom, Zegras). With what we know about Murray, what he's said about the draft and how picks 1-5 pan out, Holtz is the safest bet to be the pick.

That said, I am all for unexpected chaos.