The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
turnonthejets87

Looking ahead (draft)

So, gotta say. I keep getting it wrong. Found this YouTube channel Scouching. Gives a pretty in-depth look at the draft kids and he gave a pretty scrathing review for Holtz and a really good one for Perfetti. 

Maybe Perfetti and try and get Perrault late in the first. I’d be ecstatic with that. 
Man, I’m super excited for this draft. Get these boring playoffs over with already lol. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Perfetti has talent, and IQ

He has IQ?? god...maybe I would take him. We NEED that...desperately it seems. Steel seems to have it but doesn't have the skill to really make use of it...but every shift it seems like our players are looking the wrong way or seemingly have no idea what's going on or have really any vision and makes the strangest decisions. Yes we see it from above so it's easy to see it's wrong, but you see other teams (and earlier duck teams) not making those same mistakes we make now.

Sigh, I really think we need someone who is already NHL ready...and I know that's basically impossible at 6. I just don't trust our developing system right now... Lately who has been our best players? Getzlaf, Rico, Silfv, Perry, Kesler, Rakell can be in there, too. But Rakell had one great season and then has been a disappointment lately. Getz/Perry were basically NHL ready at the draft. Rico, Silfv, Kesler all developed elsewhere.

And then think of just how many home grown players we are disappointed in. Not 'cause they aren't good, but 'cause they either had a great season they haven't been able to replicate or just never developed into the ceiling we felt they had. Jury is still out on some, absolutely. But it's just not inspiring confidence if you ask me.

(on a side note, our goalie development seems to be through the roof, I'll give them that...Hiller, Bryzgalov, Gibson, Freddie)

12 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So, gotta say. I keep getting it wrong. Found this YouTube channel Scouching. Gives a pretty in-depth look at the draft kids and he gave a pretty scrathing review for Holtz and a really good one for Perfetti. 

You could watch (or read) 30 different scouts and get 30 different opinions.  I don't follow the amateur ranks closely, but the few things I've seen have Perfetti ranked just above Holtz.

25 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

You could watch (or read) 30 different scouts and get 30 different opinions.  I don't follow the amateur ranks closely, but the few things I've seen have Perfetti ranked just above Holtz.

So you would prefer our Ducks Draft Perfetti?...how bout Lundell? or Quinn.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

He has IQ?? god...maybe I would take him. We NEED that...desperately it seems. Steel seems to have it but doesn't have the skill to really make use of it...but every shift it seems like our players are looking the wrong way or seemingly have no idea what's going on or have really any vision and makes the strangest decisions. Yes we see it from above so it's easy to see it's wrong, but you see other teams (and earlier duck teams) not making those same mistakes we make now.

Sigh, I really think we need someone who is already NHL ready...and I know that's basically impossible at 6. I just don't trust our developing system right now... Lately who has been our best players? Getzlaf, Rico, Silfv, Perry, Kesler, Rakell can be in there, too. But Rakell had one great season and then has been a disappointment lately. Getz/Perry were basically NHL ready at the draft. Rico, Silfv, Kesler all developed elsewhere.

And then think of just how many home grown players we are disappointed in. Not 'cause they aren't good, but 'cause they either had a great season they haven't been able to replicate or just never developed into the ceiling we felt they had. Jury is still out on some, absolutely. But it's just not inspiring confidence if you ask me.

(on a side note, our goalie development seems to be through the roof, I'll give them that...Hiller, Bryzgalov, Gibson, Freddie)

I kind of stumbled further and essentially Perfetti is a breakout enabler, not the greatest skater (which is largely considered the worst part of his game and only real negative). Great passer, loves to shoot and has a good not great shot. He doesn’t force passes, he’s patient, smart. I think he might be the most polished after Drysdale. He reminds me a bit of Getzlaf, the way he holds onto the puck and looks for options. Not physical and not the greatest defensively. 

15 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

Honestly, I just don't see it with Perfetti. I watched part of that video with the sound off just to focus on the "highlights" rather than the commentator's glowing praise, and Perfetti doesn't really even look like a top-10 talent to me compared to what I've seen of some of the other top guys. His skating, both effort and ability, don't look good at all. He looks like he's constantly just floating around the ice, with no real effort to accelerate. I don't think that's going to work at the NHL level against elite talent. If you're going to float around the ice like a Getzlaf, you'd better be 6'3", 225lbs with a massive reach and world-class hands, not a 5'10" perimeter player who appears to be somewhat of a defensive liability. Count me out on Perfetti. Especially if GMBM is truly trying to transition this team to a faster, more up tempo game.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Honestly, I just don't see it with Perfetti. I watched part of that video with the sound off just to focus on the "highlights" rather than the commentator's glowing praise, and Perfetti doesn't really even look like a top-10 talent to me compared to what I've seen of some of the other top guys. His skating, both effort and ability, don't look good at all. He looks like he's constantly just floating around the ice, with no real effort to accelerate. I don't think that's going to work at the NHL level against elite talent. If you're going to float around the ice like a Getzlaf, you'd better be 6'3", 225lbs with a massive reach and world-class hands, not a 5'10" perimeter player who appears to be somewhat of a defensive liability. Count me out on Perfetti. Especially if GMBM is truly trying to transition this team to a faster, more up tempo game.

From what I’ve seen it’s not that Perfetti is slow, he just lacks the acceleration and first step. I think that can be coached. He offers ALOT and is super well rounded. I think Rossi is better and if he’s available definitely go him. Perfetti has the potential to be an all around offensive player. I never watched Tavares play much, but I’ve seen that comparison a couple times. 
Gathering more info on Holtz makes me hesitant, he has a great shot and skates hard, that’s about it. We need someone who can score, but at 6th overall, I’m not sure how many people I like over Perfetti. 
Laf

Byfield

Stutzle

Rossi/Drysdale

Rossi/Drysdale 

then us. If Rossi slips I like his ability more than Perfetti, he’s also small and that’s not a big problem anymore, but it could be. I think you could coach Holtz to be way better, but that’s the same for anyone. 

What stood out to me is his ability to facilitate break outs, which the Ducks have to be the worst at especially without Fowler on the ice. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

18 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

From what I’ve seen it’s not that Perfetti is slow, he just lacks the acceleration and first step. I think that can be coached. He offers ALOT and is super well rounded. I think Rossi is better and if he’s available definitely go him. Perfetti has the potential to be an all around offensive player. I never watched Tavares play much, but I’ve seen that comparison a couple times. 
Gathering more info on Holtz makes me hesitant, he has a great shot and skates hard, that’s about it. We need someone who can score, but at 6th overall, I’m not sure how many people I like over Perfetti. 
Laf

Byfield

Stutzle

Rossi/Drysdale

Rossi/Drysdale 

then us. If Rossi slips I like his ability more than Perfetti, he’s also small and that’s not a big problem anymore, but it could be. I think you could coach Holtz to be way better, but that’s the same for anyone. 

What stood out to me is his ability to facilitate break outs, which the Ducks have to be the worst at especially without Fowler on the ice. 

I watched the Scouch for Holtz and I didn't find it as scathing as you did. The dude basically criticized him for his low danger shot selection, some of his defensive shortcomings, and his Corsi numbers (which seems kinda dumb to criticize a 17-18 y/o kid playing pro hockey for the first time) but he still said he was the best shooter in the entire draft and that he has the ability to pump in goals from anywhere on the PP. And he also went on to say his elite shot isn't even the best part of his game. The guy said the best part of his game is that he's "a really mobile, aggressive winger whose willing to chase down offensive players.. and forechecks aggressively." GMBM has many times over the years said that he's convinced they can teach a guy how to play defense, so if Holtz has some flaws there I'm ok with it. They'll work on it with him. And heck, it's not like Teemu and Pears ever played defense. As far as his shot selection goes, I would expect him to shoot from high danger areas more and more as he gets to play with better passers in the NHL. That seems like an easy one to improve on just by playing with better players.

IMO, this team's #1 need is a scoring winger with an elite shot who can hit the back of the net on the PP. Even better if we can get one who forechecks like his hair is on fire. I'm all in on Holtz the same way I was all in on Zegras last year. Hope he's our guy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I watched the Scouch for Holtz and I didn't find it as scathing as you did. The dude basically criticized him for his low danger shot selection, some of his defensive shortcomings, and his Corsi numbers (which seems kinda dumb to criticize a 17-18 y/o kid playing pro hockey for the first time) but he still said he was the best shooter in the entire draft and that he has the ability to pump in goals from anywhere on the PP. And he also went on to say his elite shot isn't even the best part of his game. The guy said the best part of his game is that he's "a really mobile, aggressive winger whose willing to chase down offensive players.. and forechecks aggressively." GMBM has many times over the years said that he's convinced they can teach a guy how to play defense, so if Holtz has some flaws there I'm ok with it. They'll work on it with him. And heck, it's not like Teemu and Pears ever played defense. As far as his shot selection goes, I would expect him to shoot from high danger areas more and more as he gets to play with better passers in the NHL. That seems like an easy one to improve on just by playing with better players.

IMO, this team's #1 need is a scoring winger with an elite shot who can hit the back of the net on the PP. Even better if we can get one who forechecks like his hair is on fire. I'm all in on Holtz the same way I was all in on Zegras last year. Hope he's our guy.

I definitely won’t shed a tear with Holtz, just worried about some issues on his game. He has a lot more holes, which is expected of a sniper. I think we’re getting a great player at 6 regardless. I just starting to like Perfetti’s complete game. I think both guys have fixable issues. Perfetti is more complete and Holtz has a disgusting shot. 

I think scathing might have been the wrong word I was just surprised because he had a lot more negatives than most did on Holtz 

Edited by Sexlaf15
  • Like 1

I watched the first part of that Perfetti video, and while I am not quite as down on him as dts, I saw many of the same things he did.  I think the only place I would disagree is that he's a defensive liability.  Perfetti seemed to be in good defensive position and was good at taking pucks away, but the lack of that explosive first step limited his effectiveness in making some plays.  But yeah, if you're going to lack the explosiveness in skating, you better have power.  He has some, but he's also not a physical beast like Getzlaf, who was being described as a large, physical player when he was drafted, so it's not like Getzlaf grew into it.  I appreciate that he didn't just pick Perfetti's greatest hits, but I wasn't blown away.

It's odd that none of the forwards this year seem to be speedsters.  They're all fine skaters, but none who will blow you away with their skating.  

As for Holtz, the weapon he has is the one we need most, and his deficiencies probably hurt us the least.  As long as the EFFORT is there on defense, I can live with a guy who isn't Marian Hossa in his own zone.  I'm fine with smaller guys, particularly if they're fast, but I'll take the size if I can get it, and Holtz is bigger than the other 5 - 10 prospects.  

It's not cut-and-dried, but I think I'd prefer Holtz as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I watched the first part of that Perfetti video, and while I am not quite as down on him as dts, I saw many of the same things he did.  I think the only place I would disagree is that he's a defensive liability.  Perfetti seemed to be in good defensive position and was good at taking pucks away, but the lack of that explosive first step limited his effectiveness in making some plays.  But yeah, if you're going to lack the explosiveness in skating, you better have power.  He has some, but he's also not a physical beast like Getzlaf, who was being described as a large, physical player when he was drafted, so it's not like Getzlaf grew into it.  I appreciate that he didn't just pick Perfetti's greatest hits, but I wasn't blown away.

It's odd that none of the forwards this year seem to be speedsters.  They're all fine skaters, but none who will blow you away with their skating.  

As for Holtz, the weapon he has is the one we need most, and his deficiencies probably hurt us the least.  As long as the EFFORT is there on defense, I can live with a guy who isn't Marian Hossa in his own zone.  I'm fine with smaller guys, particularly if they're fast, but I'll take the size if I can get it, and Holtz is bigger than the other 5 - 10 prospects.  

I love that Holtz skates hard. Gives me a lot of faith he can improve in other areas. I’m definitely concerned about the fact he doesn’t get into high danger chances. Especially with that shot. 

Edited by Sexlaf15

3 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I kind of stumbled further and essentially Perfetti is a breakout enabler, not the greatest skater (which is largely considered the worst part of his game and only real negative). Great passer, loves to shoot and has a good not great shot. He doesn’t force passes, he’s patient, smart. I think he might be the most polished after Drysdale. He reminds me a bit of Getzlaf, the way he holds onto the puck and looks for options. Not physical and not the greatest defensively. 

If Perfetti goes in the top 5 then the Ducks will get to pick Holtz or Rossi/Stutzle. Personally, I’d take the ladder option over Holtz. I’m high on Rossi and think he’s got the entire package, sans height, but like Perfetti, I don’t see Murray targeting him either. If shooters are the prime focus, it’s Holtz and then Quinn, IMO. I agree with dtsdlaw and Gorbachev that defense isn’t really an issue for me since this team needs scoring however it can get it. If whoever we draft is tucking 30+ goals a year then I don’t care if he’s having a tea party rather than back checking. 

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

from what i remember, everyone was saying this was a really weak draft... and they kept saying it until the draft was the most exciting thing going on (and when the draft started getting close enough that it became even more directly insulting).  shrug.

7 hours ago, Fisix said:

from what i remember, everyone was saying this was a really weak draft... and they kept saying it until the draft was the most exciting thing going on (and when the draft started getting close enough that it became even more directly insulting).  shrug.

I think this is similar to last year's draft. 2 or 3 top end talents, then 7 -8 guys that are as close to guaranteed good NHL players you can get, then after the top 10 picks it drops off quite a bit. Picking in the top 10 should net us a very good player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I think this is similar to last year's draft. 2 or 3 top end talents, then 7 -8 guys that are as close to guaranteed good NHL players you can get, then after the top 10 picks it drops off quite a bit. Picking in the top 10 should net us a very good player.

I think ending up with Drysdale, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi is going to be big for this team. I think there’s some gems in this draft too. 

Wait, did Rossi and Quinn play on the same line?? Honestly...Ottawa with a #3 and #5 pick...I would not be surprised for them to go with Rossi/Quinn.

It's one thing to get a good player, another thing to get 2 good players that already have chemistry. Especially if Ottawa is already pretty shored up on D.

Sooo...maybe the Kings DO pass on Byfield since they are so stacked at Center...and the Sens go with Rossi/Quinn...and Detroit, needing D, goes with Drysdale.....then maybe MAYBE the Ducks could get Byfield!!

Edited by Jasoaks

23 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think ending up with Drysdale, Holtz, Perfetti, Rossi is going to be big for this team. I think there’s some gems in this draft too. 

Agreed, I think the Ducks are going to get a good player and that this draft is projected to be a relatively deep one. Unfortunately, the Ducks still need to get a franchise level talent (John Gibson notwithstanding) and will have to wait at least another year before having a chance again. Not sure how the 2021 class is shaping up, but if there was a clear cut top pick then we probably would have an idea of who that is at this point. There's a Finnish center named Aatu Raty that is the early favorite but maybe it's like 2017 where there becomes no consensus pick and the 3rd, 4th and 5th selections (Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson) are actually better than the top-2 (Hirscheir, Patrick). Of course, that would be the draft lottery that the Ducks would win lol. It's why I'm hoping the draft gods are smiling down on us in 2022 when someone like Shane Wright is available. The harsh reality is that the Ducks are going to most likely be a lottery team again in 2021 and 2022, so hopefully we finally catch a big break with those stupid ping pong balls.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Wait, did Rossi and Quinn play on the same line?? Honestly...Ottawa with a #3 and #5 pick...I would not be surprised for them to go with Rossi/Quinn.

It's one thing to get a good player, another thing to get 2 good players that already have chemistry. Especially if Ottawa is already pretty shored up on D.

Sooo...maybe the Kings DO pass on Byfield since they are so stacked at Center...and the Sens go with Rossi/Quinn...and Detroit, needing D, goes with Drysdale.....then maybe MAYBE the Ducks could get Byfield!!

I found this interesting note about Jack Quinn:

It’s not too often we see a draft-eligible OHLer pop 50 goals. Quinn did it despite his season-ending abruptly thanks to Covid-19. He accomplished this while playing on a stacked 67s squad, but played his 5v5 minutes away from Rossi. He’s nearly as old as you can be for the class, but his release is legit.

For reference, Marco Rossi (who should go in the top ten this year) had 81 assists for the Ottawa 67s this season – so it is important to note that Quinn’s 52 goals was not the direct product of that. Anyways, finally – here’s a look at what Mike Morreale had to say for NHL.com on March 20:

So, I don't think the chemistry factor is too big, but that is very impressive for Quinn and could make him a sleeper pick that moves up a bit further than he's currently projected. I would love to know where Murray has Quinn on his draft board. Unfortunately, Byfield isn't falling to the Ducks and we'll have to deal with him as a King. LA could just trade and shift to wing the excess of centers that they have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

So, what’s up with Jake Sanderson. I keep seeing him sneak into top 5-6’s ahead of Drysdale?

Not sure will be checking out some Highlights on him....NHL has him being compared to Charlie McAcvoy. I see him as abit of 2nd choice if Drysdale is selected.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

So what do you guys have as your...top 6 priorities for the Ducks? ie ranking from 1-6 who you'd pick for the Ducks if he's available?

1. Lafreniere

2. Byfield

3. Holtz

4. Drysdale

5. Stutzle

6. Perfetti

That's my ranking just from looking at stats and some video...

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

So what do you guys have as your...top 6 priorities for the Ducks? ie ranking from 1-6 who you'd pick for the Ducks if he's available?

1. Lafreniere

2. Byfield

3. Holtz

4. Drysdale

5. Stutzle

6. Perfetti

Imho I am going to go off the board as They say...Ducks imho will select from IFK Helsinki Anton Lundell.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

40 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Imho I am going to go off the board as They say...Ducks imho will select from IFK Helsinki Anton Lundell.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

But would that be YOUR pick? What's your top 6 you'd pick for the Ducks if available?

56 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

But would that be YOUR pick? What's your top 6 you'd pick for the Ducks if available?

It would but for our Ducks if a RHD is available then Drysdale is the Guy.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

1. Lafreniere

2. Byfield

3. Holtz

4. Drysdale

5. Stutzle

6. Perfetti

Drysdale

Rossi

Perfetti

Holtz

Quinn

In the second or third round. I’d really like to take Jean-Luc Foudy underperformed, but has all the tools, just needs some work. 

• Like 1

These are my top 5 that I'd pick for the Ducks if available. (I'm leaving Byfield, Lafreniere, Stutzle off because I don't see any scenarios where either fall to #6. Even Drysdale being available for us is not likely, but here we go:

1. Rossi

2. Drysdale

3. Raymond

4. Holtz

5. Quinn

6. Perfetti

Here are my rankings of who I think Murray will take if available:

1. Drysdale

2. Holtz

3. Raymond

4. Rossi

5. Quinn

6. Lundell

• Like 1

1. Quinn

2. Holtz

3. Rossi

4. Raymond

5. Lundell

Ducks desperately need initiated goal scorers, and the top two certainly provide that. Rossi seems like an absolute machine on the ice despite his size, and Ive seen lots of footage of him outworking defenders and making solid passes. Raymond is arguably the most skilled on the list, but i have noticed times where he is muscled off the puck or he avoids a hard play near the boards. Seems to rely too much on swinging around opponents. Lundell for me is the prototypical safe pick, good size centre making clean plays and sometimes Zegras like passes.

Honestly, i wouldn't be mad if the ducks dropped down a few spots and tried to grab Quinn (or just outright take him at 6). Dude looks legit, like the kind of goal scorer I see on other teams and get jealous that the Ducks don't have one. He scores in so many different ways, but EVERY one is just blazing quick. Has a lethal one timer and wrist shots that go in from anywhere he shoots. His even strength ice time isn’t played with Rossi, so it lends me to think that he is for real. For me, he is Holtz with another gear to his shot.

Hopefully the pick is a goal scorer, but at the least I just want a prospect that is fun to watch. Could use some more of those :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxtrot1128 said:

1. Quinn

2. Holtz

3. Rossi

4. Raymond

5. Lundell

Ducks desperately need initiated goal scorers, and the top two certainly provide that. Rossi seems like an absolute machine on the ice despite his size, and Ive seen lots of footage of him outworking defenders and making solid passes. Raymond is arguably the most skilled on the list, but i have noticed times where he is muscled off the puck or he avoids a hard play near the boards. Seems to rely too much on swinging around opponents. Lundell for me is the prototypical safe pick, good size centre making clean plays and sometimes Zegras like passes.

\\

I like this idea also, especially if Drysdale and Rossi are off the board. Trading back to get an additional pick while getting a guy like Quinn would be an extremely savvy move by Murray if he isn't really high on any player that's still available. Though, I can't see Murray doing this lol.

Another option is to see what Buffalo's asking price would be for the 8th overall pick. If any team is going to move a high pick, my money is on them even though they just fired pretty much their entire front office. Eichel seems to be close to his breaking point with the team and may be just a season away of demanding a trade if they don't make the playoffs. Any trade would almost certainly involve Rakell, but I would inquire about it.

• Like 1