The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

covid-19 repercussions

Well, I think this goes here, rather than the NHL thread, cause we're going to have player specific stuff going on.

In any event, Kes has made a statement:

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Well, I think this goes here, rather than the NHL thread, cause we're going to have player specific stuff going on.

In any event, Kes has made a statement:

NHL needs to take in consideration what needs to be done....They should know their are arena workers who contribute to success of the sport of Hockey,Fans too as well as others. In these Trying times Sports can offer abit of solace for those in need and motivate others in times of personal crisis.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

Just now, HockeyIzCool said:

Suspension of season is being announced in the next couple of hours.

It's important and needed...Things are going crazy and health of the team and fans is important. Much as it disapoints me this season will be suspsended but in long term it's for the good of the sport, Our team and us fans.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Suspension of season is being announced in the next couple of hours.

:(

Edited by Fisix

yep, official.

sigh :( didn't realize id be going to the last game before suspension last night.... although, man, it felt like it was a weird game...

• Like 1

Just now, Jasoaks said:

yep, official.

sigh :( didn't realize id be going to the last game before suspension last night.... although, man, it felt like it was a weird game...

agreed.  

it's probably the right call...i want to be angry about it though lol...i can deal with suspended...but ugh, i really hope it doesn't get cancelled.......

Ovi needs goals!!!!

• Like 1

Well, the main repercussion for me right now is that I will be cancelling my trip to Anaheim. I was due to attend the April 1 and 3 games vs Dallas and LA respectively. But it seems unlikely those games will happen now.

This sucks. Obviously it sucks more for people who are vulnerable to dying from this virus, but the whole thing still sucks.

Blessing for Ducks and I 

I now have time to get a TV  and all the injured Ducks will heal up during pause.🤸‍♂️🦆

It's going to be a Stanley Cup Summer !

Edited by bufbarnaby

I always loved playing pick up hockey in summer , Ducks probably will too.

It's like an extra long season to me.🏒🤸‍♂️

Edited by bufbarnaby

Will they clamp down on Glafs snot-rockets now?

I remember watching Gretzky growing up...he was always spitting through teeth while on bench.

There was a reporter on the radio this morning who said that the NBA is talking about going right to the postseason assuming this situation settles down by the end of April.  He said there is probably zero chance they resume the season as it stood.  It wouldn't surprise me if the NHL does likewise.

i'd be happy with a later season end.  less time for the team to screw up their conditioning over the summer.

54 minutes ago, Fisix said:

i'd be happy with a later season end.  less time for the team to screw up their conditioning over the summer.

And just think of how burned out the teams who make the playoffs would be if they only got a month off before the next season started!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

And just think of how burned out the teams who make the playoffs would be if they only got a month off before the next season started!

advantage to the teams that don't make the playoffs! i support that! haha ....although could be dangerous and unsafe..... :P

Once season stopped this late in year. Basic season is all done.

If it resumes it would be only for the Cup. Just think that might be interesting if they take the top 8 in each division or they look at the teams with best win percentages.

How do you take into consideration teams that have games in hand?? No matter which way they decide to go there will be teams that will be piddleed . Guess the best way to call a no win situation.

Def feel lost not to have  a game to watch late at night. 

Edited by Arvydas Cieminis
misspelling

1 hour ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

If it resumes it would be only for the Cup. Just think that might be interesting if they take the top 8 in each division or they look at the teams with best win percentages.

How do you take into consideration teams that have games in hand?? No matter which way they decide to go there will be teams that will be piddleed . Guess the best way to call a no win situation.

im sure it will be discussed with the GMs and owners and the NHLPA what seems fair. I don't think anyone wants the season to be cancelled and have no playoffs. But we'll need to see how things go....

1 hour ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

How do you take into consideration teams that have games in hand??

Win % or calculate back to 65 or 68 games. 

I don’t believe the season goes further. I don’t believe that Dehydrated Donkey Dungy Corona will be only for 2-3 weeks. I believe in 3-4 weeks at leadt the half earth will have the virus and I only hope nobody I know dies... its scary thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

NHL super tournament. Boston gets a first round bye.

The rest of the teams play a 5 game series. 2 vs last in the conference, 3 vs second last, etc.  Then we are down to 16 teams after this series and the normal playoffs begin.

Let's do this.

• Like 1

Interesting thoughts.

Wonder how many people like me were really rooting for St Louis to win . If we won we would have gone down two places in the draft and believing that regular season was over didn't really want that.

Only one game left in town. Wonder if gamblers turn to horses with no sports betting available?? Even that is different without fans in attendance. 

8 hours ago, nieder said:

NHL super tournament. Boston gets a first round bye.

The rest of the teams play a 5 game series. 2 vs last in the conference, 3 vs second last, etc.  Then we are down to 16 teams after this series and the normal playoffs begin.

Let's do this.

That would be amazing.

• Like 2

Samueli's are paying all full/part time staff their salaries through the end of the month. Class act.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

There was a reporter on the radio this morning who said that the NBA is talking about going right to the postseason assuming this situation settles down by the end of April.  He said there is probably zero chance they resume the season as it stood.  It wouldn't surprise me if the NHL does likewise.

If it does so be it...Right now Concern is th endure this pandemic.....Hopefully it settles down at the end of March but the true fact is who knows.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Hopefully it settles down at the end of March but the true fact is who knows.

that's a dream. the season ended. we must be happy if the new season starts october.... I see this virus going some month and I see over 50% of the people who will be infect.... I hope the numbers of deaths not rise too much....  by the way: Tom Hanks is infected and he is 63 years old....

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

that's a dream. the season ended. we must be happy if the new season starts october.... I see this virus going some month and I see over 50% of the people who will be infect.... I hope the numbers of deaths not rise too much....  by the way: Tom Hanks is infected and he is 63 years old....

Also the wife of my nations PM is also infected too....I mean as I say before who knows.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 3/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

I think that's an easier sell for the NBA since (a) there is a pretty clear delineation between the 8th and 9th seeds in both conferences, and (b) nobody really cares who the 5-8 seeds are anyway since they basically have zero chance of getting past the second round, let alone winning the championship. It'd be a tougher sell for hockey, since the standings are so much more bunched up and there is also such a history of low seeds making SC Finals runs. It also seems like Bettman really wants the season to continue, and I wouldn't put it past him to re-start it as soon as he can. Maybe they don't get the full 82 in, but if they can re-start by mid-April I think 74-75 games would be doable. That would at least give all the bubble teams a last chance to play their way in or out of the tournament. And if they can start the playoffs by May 1st, I think they could still wrap the season up before the entry draft.

I don’t know how they are going to start by mid-April. Everyone in the baseball world acknowledged today that there’s no way they’ll only postpone the regular season by 2 weeks, which would have put the season starting in mid-April. This virus isn’t going anywhere, and packing fans back in closed stadiums in just 1 month and players back in locker rooms doesn’t seem likely. In addition, hockey’s revenues are gate-driven so it doesn’t make sense to bring the games back with no fans, and I doubt the league wants to be the only sport coming back that early. Even the Masters got postponed today, and that was scheduled for April 9-12. 

Furthermore, today the league told players to self-quarantine “over the next week or so,” which means no practicing. The league is going to have to give teams a week or two to practice and get back closer to game shape before playing any games. Backes didn’t skate for a couple weeks and it took him nearly as long to get back to playing. The timing just doesn’t add up.  I think it’s highly unlikely NHL is back that soon unless a miracle happens.

Edited by Spencer_12