The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

covid-19 repercussions

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

Exactly!

And also, I watched the Bettman announcement....will be an interesting set-up! Gotta put some money on the Canadiens to win haha

But the draft. The draft confuses me. It's a very complicated procedure...I don't understand why they can't just wait till they know which 8 teams don't advance from the qualifying round and then just have a normal draft? Why are they so set to have it June 26th?

Yeah, it’s weird but I like it better than what was originally proposed even though the Ducks could fall to 8th in the draft. At least we have a date on the calendar to be excited for and hopefully really excited after the lottery.

Ottawa is guaranteed two top-6 picks now.

really should be 4 total arenas, not just 2.  maybe they'll have 2 games each arena each night?

i would argue LA is out because LA is having covid issues, but then Las Vegas should be out because it's a home arena for LV.  hmm.  well, now i bet the west coast arena will be staples, and teams will use the Rinks and other places for practices.  might be good for us, if we're allowed anywhere near there.

my guess is that testing positive will be treated like an injury.  it'll be interesting to see if they'll announce players who are effectively immune because they test positive for the covid antibodies (meaning they were infected and recovered).

i'm also a bit worried that there are going to be a ton of injuries.  i haven't heard much news about it, but i can't imagine the teams have been practicing much....

so, i guess we can start praying to the lottery gods now in earnest, yes?

Edited by Fisix

So all 8 teams that lose the 'play-in' 5 game series will also be in the draft lottery. 5 game series could swing heavily on goaltending - if your goalie gets hot and steals a couple of games then the series is basically wrapped up.

If Pittsburgh lose to the Canadiens in that 5 game series then they have a chance at the first overall pick - despite finishing with the 7th best record in the entire league during the regular season. Absolutely ridiculous that the league is leaving the door ajar for something like this to potentially happen.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nieder said:

So all 8 teams that lose the 'play-in' 5 game series will also be in the draft lottery. 5 game series could swing heavily on goaltending - if your goalie gets hot and steals a couple of games then the series is basically wrapped up.

If Pittsburgh lose to the Canadiens in that 5 game series then they have a chance at the first overall pick - despite finishing with the 7th best record in the entire league during the regular season. Absolutely ridiculous that the league is leaving the door ajar for something like this to potentially happen.

That's a really good point.

Also, I was thinking since they are holding the lottery before the qualifying round...and one of those "mystery team" lottery balls gets the #1 pick...wouldn't that be incentivizing teams to lose? Also -- wouldn't you be able to figure out who that "mystery" lottery ball would go to if certain situations pan out?

This all seems very problematic...but like Bettman said...there's no perfect solution. It's also unfair for the teams that could have made the playoffs to just be told "nope, you don't make it" while also unfair for bad teams that are now "forced" into the playoffs to be told they can't be a part of the lottery they very likely would have been a part of.

EDIT: actually come to think of it...it's kinda fair to say to like the Rangers or Montreal or Chicago...like...sorry, close by no cigar. Only top 16 teams. And then they play a round of round robin to get "official" seeding/warm up to game speed. Or play some more regular season games to get all 24 teams to the same amount of games played thus putting more weight on the teams with higher points and giving the lower ones a chance to sneak in.

Edited by Jasoaks

20 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it’s weird but I like it better than what was originally proposed even though the Ducks could fall to 8th in the draft. At least we have a date on the calendar to be excited for and hopefully really excited after the lottery.

Ottawa is guaranteed two top-6 picks now.

Isn't that pretty much how it would have been during a regular season?  I thought you're able to fall a total of 3 slots, or able to move up 3 slots.  But the rules always confuse me.

Ottawa may get a couple of top 6 picks, but they'll still suck.  How many good years have they had in the last 30 other than the one where the Ducks walked all over them?

I am more interested in where our Ducks will Pick...NHL Draft Lottery has us at 8.5% so it will be interesting and of course I can't wait for Hockey to start.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

42 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Isn't that pretty much how it would have been during a regular season?  I thought you're able to fall a total of 3 slots, or able to move up 3 slots.  But the rules always confuse me.

Ottawa may get a couple of top 6 picks, but they'll still suck.  How many good years have they had in the last 30 other than the one where the Ducks walked all over them?

They did get to game 7 ECF against the Pens , but yea pretty trash overall. They played some good hockey at the start of the year, adding 2 really good High picks could really turn the page for them, especially if Duclair stays hot like he was before the season was cut short. Too bad their owner is a complete idiot. 

49 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, it’s the old version as far as that goes except we just won’t know who the last 8 teams are or their slot when the lottery happens.

Ottawa lost in OT of game 7 of the 2017 ECF to Pittsburgh, the same year we lost in the WCF. They have a pretty solid pool right now and adding two top-6 picks, especially if they get a top-2, is going to be massive for them. The Ducks really need that kind of influx of high-end prospects because I don’t see us walking over teams anytime soon lol. 

6 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it’s the old version as far as that goes except we just won’t know who the last 8 teams are or their slot when the lottery happens.

Ottawa lost in OT of game 7 of the 2017 ECF to Pittsburgh, the same year we lost in the WCF. They have a pretty solid pool right now and adding two top-6 picks, especially if they get a top-2, is going to be massive for them. The Ducks really need that kind of influx of high-end prospects because I don’t see us walking over teams anytime soon lol. 

Niedermayer, Selanne, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Kunitz.....all on the same roster, and all will eventually be in the Hall Of Fame.  I'm not sure we'll see another Ducks lineup like that again in our lifetimes.

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Niedermayer, Selanne, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry, Kunitz.....all on the same roster, and all will eventually be in the Hall Of Fame.  I'm not sure we'll see another Ducks lineup like that again in our lifetimes.

Who knows My Friend maybe Fate will decide for our Ducks and us Hockey fans.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, it was obviously a great roster but the Ducks got within a game of the SCF in 2015 without that level of HOF talent. We just need significantly more than what we currently have which is why this year's draft, and probably next year's, are going to be crucial for the organization going forward.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, HockeyIzCool said:

The 05/06 Sens were a force, too...basically the same as the SCF team except also had a young Chara...and Hasek was in net...

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

The 05/06 Sens were a force, too...basically the same as the SCF team except also had a young Chara...and Hasek was in net...

Honestly, this Sens team might have been the best of their franchise the past 30 years...how they didn't get past Buffalo in 06 but SOMEHOW, with a slightly lesser team, got past Buffalo in 07 is beyond me...

sidenote: so sad for Buffalo...so close to the finals 2 years in a row...and of course '99 finals was bs 😕

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Honestly, this Sens team might have been the best of their franchise the past 30 years...how they didn't get past Buffalo in 06 but SOMEHOW, with a slightly lesser team, got past Buffalo in 07 is beyond me...

sidenote: so sad for Buffalo...so close to the finals 2 years in a row...and of course '99 finals was bs 😕

Buffalo was rob of Stanley Cup Final back in the Day.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ducks add another LHD Swede from the SHL, Kodie Curran. 2 years, $1 mil AAV. Murray's going to have such an itchy trading finger this offseason.

Welcome to the Ducks Kodi Curran interesting he did well in Hampus Old Club....hope he transition well into North American Style of Hockey.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jasoaks said:

From memory Buffalo had half of their team out injured by the conference finals. Those Buffalo teams in 2006 and 2007 were really good when they were healthy. I think at the start of the 2006-2007 season the best odds for Stanley Cup winner were between Anaheim and Buffalo.

22 hours ago, nieder said:

From memory Buffalo had half of their team out injured by the conference finals. Those Buffalo teams in 2006 and 2007 were really good when they were healthy. I think at the start of the 2006-2007 season the best odds for Stanley Cup winner were between Anaheim and Buffalo.

I remember neighbor a of mine mention that Ducks and Buffalo were mirror image of themselves in various ways.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Anyone else hear Murray’s comments yesterday? He‘s managed to simultaneously drive the bus he throws people under now.

I heard it...wonder if he realize the need to either 1. Step Down or 2. groom a successor....Imho it is BOB who should be held Accountable.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Anyone else hear Murray’s comments yesterday? He‘s managed to simultaneously drive the bus he throws people under now.

where's the best way to listen?

I can't find a link to the audio but the transcript is available on the Ducks reddit feed. There's quite a bit to unpack but it's not much different to what he's said the last couple of seasons. It's not confidence inspiring, IMO.

• Like 1

Ducks Signing Kodie Curran. I am thinking we may see a trade to free up capspace.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

completely random but related to my time being spent in quarantine...so sort of appropriate for this thread (definitely not worth starting a new one...)

The Latin word for Duck is ANAS.... and the Norse word for home is HEIM....

So, basically Anaheim means Duck Home!

(sort of haha...if you combine Latin and Norse :P )

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

completely random but related to my time being spent in quarantine...so sort of appropriate for this thread (definitely not worth starting a new one...)

What's next Ducks going pillaging in Boats If they decide to change the logo to Ducks on Viking Boat j/k.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

If that’s true, that is quite the coincidence, or is it. Perhaps Disney has this in mind when creating the team/mascot. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, ike-1 said:

If that’s true, that is quite the coincidence, or is it. Perhaps Disney has this in mind when creating the team/mascot

I am sure they forgot giving Wild Wing Mjolnir....😉.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Haha 1

Hard to imagine with all the Covid-19 spikes now that sports can really continue.  If they are truly about the players safety then all these sports season should be cancelled!  How is it that Orlando can host basketball in the Covid-19 hot bed of Florida?