Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

covid-19 repercussions

Recommended Posts

Hard to imagine with all the Covid-19 spikes now that sports can really continue.  If they are truly about the players safety then all these sports season should be cancelled!  How is it that Orlando can host basketball in the Covid-19 hot bed of Florida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

Hard to imagine with all the Covid-19 spikes now that sports can really continue.  If they are truly about the players safety then all these sports season should be cancelled!  How is it that Orlando can host basketball in the Covid-19 hot bed of Florida?

no clue...no clue...

But it was...what...15 players tested positive? if they are quarantined and all pass their tests to join their teams...why wouldn't that be OK? If they are frequently testing everyone who is in the hub cities and they never exit or don't allow others to enter...how could that be an issue?

My main issue is testing is still a problem here...all of these tests for resuming hockey I feel could be better spent helping cities zero in on the virus...although I do want there to be a playoffs lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

Hard to imagine with all the Covid-19 spikes now that sports can really continue.  If they are truly about the players safety then all these sports season should be cancelled!  How is it that Orlando can host basketball in the Covid-19 hot bed of Florida?

I'm of two minds about this.  

First, the cynical part of me: They don't care about player safety.  They care about money.  But players care about money, too, so they're willing to deal with a decent amount of risk. They probably shouldn't be playing, all things considered.  These aren't exactly necessary services here.

The sports fan part of me is happy because I miss sports.  And a lot of the players want to return to play.  For the most part, the players themselves should be fine unless something freaky happens.  These guys are finely tuned athletes with great immune systems.

So I don't know.  I'm going to do what no one seems to be able to do these days and ride the fence.  I'm not going to pick a side in this one and get outraged.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm of two minds about this.  

First, the cynical part of me: They don't care about player safety.  They care about money.  But players care about money, too, so they're willing to deal with a decent amount of risk. They probably shouldn't be playing, all things considered.  These aren't exactly necessary services here.

The sports fan part of me is happy because I miss sports.  And a lot of the players want to return to play.  For the most part, the players themselves should be fine unless something freaky happens.  These guys are finely tuned athletes with great immune systems.

So I don't know.  I'm going to do what no one seems to be able to do these days and ride the fence.  I'm not going to pick a side in this one and get outraged.  

I think it's Door #3 - they care about both. Sure they like their money, but they're also going to do this thing as safely as possible to protect their assets players. I don't think any owner wants to jeopardize the long term health of a star player just for a little extra playoff revenue. And fortunately for the NHL (and other leagues), the Euro soccer leagues are already setting the table for them in how to conduct the re-start of a season. For example, the Bundesliga has been at it since early May, the English Premier League started playing matches on June 17th, and the Italian Serie A just started games about a week ago. And I just saw that the Brits said yesterday that they have had only one positive test out of 2250 tests since the league resumed training camps, so it seems at least for now that the Euro leagues have figured some things out in how to keep the transmission rate down. So I think by the time the NHL games start in late July or early August, there will be enough data from the Euro soccer leagues to give the NHL a pretty good road map for what works and what doesn't so that they can put a system in place to do this the safest way possible. Then it will be up to the players to do the right things to keep themselves, their co-workers, and their family members healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone you know the One thing that Really makes me Glad...our Ducks are not in this 24 team Playoff whatever they want to call it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

no clue...no clue...

But it was...what...15 players tested positive? if they are quarantined and all pass their tests to join their teams...why wouldn't that be OK? If they are frequently testing everyone who is in the hub cities and they never exit or don't allow others to enter...how could that be an issue?

My main issue is testing is still a problem here...all of these tests for resuming hockey I feel could be better spent helping cities zero in on the virus...although I do want there to be a playoffs lol

well, it was 26 players, since June 8.

i don't know, dtsdlaw, Europe in general seems to have figured covid out, for now.  the US, not so much.

i'm getting more and more pessimistic about anything restarting as normal before the vaccine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fisix said:

well, it was 26 players, since June 8.

i don't know, dtsdlaw, Europe in general seems to have figured covid out, for now.  the US, not so much.

i'm getting more and more pessimistic about anything restarting as normal before the vaccine.

Like I said again I am just our Ducks are not part of this Haphazard Playoffs we see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fisix said:

well, it was 26 players, since June 8.

i don't know, dtsdlaw, Europe in general seems to have figured covid out, for now.  the US, not so much.

i'm getting more and more pessimistic about anything restarting as normal before the vaccine.

What about Canada? They could play all the games up there, no?

Also, this is another instance in which pro sports does not necessarily mirror real life. If you dive into the details of how Euro teams are isolating and testing athletes, coaches, employees, etc. it's not hard to see how that system could work for an entire NHL playoffs. And you also have to figure that, unlike the American public at large, no 20-something NHLer is going to risk being "that guy" who was sent home during the SC playoffs (or worse, causing their team to be sent home) because he can't stay out of the bars and clubs or simply HAS to go to that beach party while refusing to wear a mask. These guys will isolate and not do stupid things that would put themselves or their teams at risk. In fact, I'd wager that you could drop the NHL playoffs into the hottest hot spot in the US and they'd still stay 99.9% COVID-free in their own highly-regulated isolation, simply because it's the Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

What about Canada? They could play all the games up there, no?

Also, this is another instance in which pro sports does not necessarily mirror real life. If you dive into the details of how Euro teams are isolating and testing athletes, coaches, employees, etc. it's not hard to see how that system could work for an entire NHL playoffs. And you also have to figure that, unlike the American public at large, no 20-something NHLer is going to risk being "that guy" who was sent home during the SC playoffs (or worse, causing their team to be sent home) because he can't stay out of the bars and clubs or simply HAS to go to that beach party while refusing to wear a mask. These guys will isolate and not do stupid things that would put themselves or their teams at risk. In fact, I'd wager that you could drop the NHL playoffs into the hottest hot spot in the US and they'd still stay 99.9% COVID-free in their own highly-regulated isolation, simply because it's the Cup.

You know whoever Wins this Year's Stanley Cup will have asterisk by us Fans and I expect some Players. In a Time where the Sports World along with everyone is dueling with Chaos Upheavel in today's Society.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

What about Canada? They could play all the games up there, no?

Also, this is another instance in which pro sports does not necessarily mirror real life. If you dive into the details of how Euro teams are isolating and testing athletes, coaches, employees, etc. it's not hard to see how that system could work for an entire NHL playoffs. And you also have to figure that, unlike the American public at large, no 20-something NHLer is going to risk being "that guy" who was sent home during the SC playoffs (or worse, causing their team to be sent home) because he can't stay out of the bars and clubs or simply HAS to go to that beach party while refusing to wear a mask. These guys will isolate and not do stupid things that would put themselves or their teams at risk. In fact, I'd wager that you could drop the NHL playoffs into the hottest hot spot in the US and they'd still stay 99.9% COVID-free in their own highly-regulated isolation, simply because it's the Cup.

well... the point was that Europe as a whole is doing better, while the US is not.  I think the reason why the Euro sports are able to stay so clean is because they have the societal support to do/be so.  they have the support structure that all evidence is telling us we lack.  and then there's the 26 NHLrs testing positive since June 8 (i haven't heard of similar numbers in the euro sports ranks).

i agree Canada might be viable, with strict Euro-esque quarantine rules, but i think even then there's going to be increased risk relative to the EU.  and, especially now, politics is going to start being an issue.  PCR testing results are taking 5 days for the general public in SoCal right now... it's not going to go over well if all the players are getting same-day PCR test results and all are getting tested and cleared before each game, while the rest of us are getting results that are too delayed to matter to stop the community spread.  if the players aren't going to get the results back same-day, then i think they'll be screwed after the first round of games.

now, there IS a new non-FDA approved instant/15min antigen test that's sub-gold-standard that's available in SoCal (i'm scheduled to take it on Friday), and there doesn't seem to be a throughput limitation aside from the time to conduct a minimal medical consult, but it's definitely statistically less accurate than the PCR testing, and it has only been benchmarked against PCR testing (which is the gold standard, but also isn't perfect).  

that's probably too much detail, but the main point is that, aside from societal infection issues, there are also going to be political issues if the infection rates continue to increase day over day, as they are now.  there may even be player-family issues if things are really bad - it's one thing to be sequestered away from your family in a trailing pandemic, it's another to be away from them during a raging pandemic with bodies piling up outside hospitals.  emotionally, the players wouldn't be focused on play, cup or not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

What about Canada? They could play all the games up there, no?

Also, this is another instance in which pro sports does not necessarily mirror real life. If you dive into the details of how Euro teams are isolating and testing athletes, coaches, employees, etc. it's not hard to see how that system could work for an entire NHL playoffs. And you also have to figure that, unlike the American public at large, no 20-something NHLer is going to risk being "that guy" who was sent home during the SC playoffs (or worse, causing their team to be sent home) because he can't stay out of the bars and clubs or simply HAS to go to that beach party while refusing to wear a mask. These guys will isolate and not do stupid things that would put themselves or their teams at risk. In fact, I'd wager that you could drop the NHL playoffs into the hottest hot spot in the US and they'd still stay 99.9% COVID-free in their own highly-regulated isolation, simply because it's the Cup.

Well, looks like it is going to be Canada. Edmonton and Toronto reported to be the hubs. Which makes sense considering what is going on in the US right now.

Here in Edmonton we have had a bit of a spike in cases, but we are also testing anyone who wants a test now so there is a lot of asymptomatic testing happening that is increasing the positive numbers. The numbers are likely similar as before, it's just that the people without symptoms weren't getting tested before. 

From what I understand, the NHL will basically take over Rogers Place downtown, which has an additional practice arena attached to it, as well as a hotel with direct access via pedway. So they can block all that off and make it NHL access only. The hotel won't be big enough so there are a couple of other nearby hotels they will also have to take over - I'm not sure how they limit players interacting with the general public if they have to walk to their hotel that is block away, unless they force the players to take a van or bus or something to the hotel even though it is only a block away. The NHL will also take over our biggest community arena in town which has 4 ice surfaces and is about a 25 minute bus ride from Rogers Place. 

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nieder said:

Well, looks like it is going to be Canada. Edmonton and Toronto reported to be the hubs. Which makes sense considering what is going on in the US right now.

Here in Edmonton we have had a bit of a spike in cases, but we are also testing anyone who wants a test now so there is a lot of asymptomatic testing happening that is increasing the positive numbers. The numbers are likely similar as before, it's just that the people without symptoms weren't getting tested before. 

From what I understand, the NHL will basically take over Rogers Place downtown, which has an additional practice arena attached to it, as well as a hotel with direct access via pedway. So they can block all that off and make it NHL access only. The hotel won't be big enough so there are a couple of other nearby hotels they will also have to take over - I'm not sure how they limit players interacting with the general public if they have to walk to their hotel that is block away, unless they force the players to take a van or bus or something to the hotel even though it is only a block away. The NHL will also take over our biggest community arena in town which has 4 ice surfaces and is about a 25 minute bus ride from Rogers Place. 

It must be nice to be able to get tested if you want.  I called my health care provider letting them know that while I don't have symptoms, I'd just learned that a co-worker tested positive, and, for the sake of my family, I'd like to get tested.  They didn't really have a mechanism for that and said they'd have to submit a request to my primary care physician, who would then need to call me back and interview to see if I qualified.  I didn't get a call back for four days and, because I was asymptomatic, I didn't qualify for a test.  By then, what's the point anyway?  I've already been home to see the family.  I think there are non-insurance places I could go to get tested, but it's ridiculous that a giant health care provider like Kaiser would be this stupid about it.  I'm TRYING to be proactive and help with contact tracing and I'm actively obstructed and denied by the people who should be invested in knowing this kind of thing.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It must be nice to be able to get tested if you want.  I called my health care provider letting them know that while I don't have symptoms, I'd just learned that a co-worker tested positive, and, for the sake of my family, I'd like to get tested.  They didn't really have a mechanism for that and said they'd have to submit a request to my primary care physician, who would then need to call me back and interview to see if I qualified.  I didn't get a call back for four days and, because I was asymptomatic, I didn't qualify for a test.  By then, what's the point anyway?  I've already been home to see the family.  I think there are non-insurance places I could go to get tested, but it's ridiculous that a giant health care provider like Kaiser would be this stupid about it.  I'm TRYING to be proactive and help with contact tracing and I'm actively obstructed and denied by the people who should be invested in knowing this kind of thing.

EXACTLY. It's ridiculous. Which is why like, my only real "complaint" about the NHL doing this is that it could use their thousands upon thousands of tests they'll be using to make this work...for people, like you, and many others that aren't being allowed to test 'cause they are being restrictive on who can get a test 'cause of the shortage of tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

EXACTLY. It's ridiculous. Which is why like, my only real "complaint" about the NHL doing this is that it could use their thousands upon thousands of tests they'll be using to make this work...for people, like you, and many others that aren't being allowed to test 'cause they are being restrictive on who can get a test 'cause of the shortage of tests.

I think that shortage has more to do with how the healthcare system works in the USA. It is crazy that you can't just get a test if you want one! I don't think the NHL will be getting tests at the expense of the general public, there are a lot of places making the testing kits now. I would assume that the league is going to pay some private lab to run all the tests.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

I think that shortage has more to do with how the healthcare system works in the USA. It is crazy that you can't just get a test if you want one! I don't think the NHL will be getting tests at the expense of the general public, there are a lot of places making the testing kits now. I would assume that the league is going to pay some private lab to run all the tests.

It would not surprise IF NHL Does This...Plus I think all Sports team may be doing this from now on.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

It must be nice to be able to get tested if you want.  I called my health care provider letting them know that while I don't have symptoms, I'd just learned that a co-worker tested positive, and, for the sake of my family, I'd like to get tested.  They didn't really have a mechanism for that and said they'd have to submit a request to my primary care physician, who would then need to call me back and interview to see if I qualified.  I didn't get a call back for four days and, because I was asymptomatic, I didn't qualify for a test.  By then, what's the point anyway?  I've already been home to see the family.  I think there are non-insurance places I could go to get tested, but it's ridiculous that a giant health care provider like Kaiser would be this stupid about it.  I'm TRYING to be proactive and help with contact tracing and I'm actively obstructed and denied by the people who should be invested in knowing this kind of thing.

same.  scarily the same.  do you work in my office?  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the amount of time our Ducks and other NHL Teams not in Stanley Cup Playoffs....It would not hurt if they get their players tested since this is Offseason.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 11:20 PM, Fisix said:

 

i don't know, dtsdlaw, Europe in general seems to have figured covid out, for now.  the US, not so much.

I dont know why this has become the pervasive thinking. 

The total deaths in the EU and US are tracking side by side.  New deaths per day rate are almost double in the EU right now with only a mildly higher population.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, gorbachav5 said:

It must be nice to be able to get tested if you want.  I called my health care provider letting them know that while I don't have symptoms, I'd just learned that a co-worker tested positive, and, for the sake of my family, I'd like to get tested.  They didn't really have a mechanism for that and said they'd have to submit a request to my primary care physician, who would then need to call me back and interview to see if I qualified.  I didn't get a call back for four days and, because I was asymptomatic, I didn't qualify for a test.  By then, what's the point anyway?  I've already been home to see the family.  I think there are non-insurance places I could go to get tested, but it's ridiculous that a giant health care provider like Kaiser would be this stupid about it.  I'm TRYING to be proactive and help with contact tracing and I'm actively obstructed and denied by the people who should be invested in knowing this kind of thing.

I think it's a Kaiser problem, not a testing problem. I've heard the same complaints about them. I have a PPO plan, testing no problem at all.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyword hearing if AHL,ECHL,SHL and other leagues are going to implement safety protocalls?.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gotchabari said:

I dont know why this has become the pervasive thinking. 

The total deaths in the EU and US are tracking side by side.  New deaths per day rate are almost double in the EU right now with only a mildly higher population.

 just today, the US had 1189 deaths, while Europe had 659 (with Russia included but under-reporting).  Remove Russia, and the comparison is down to 420.  i'm having a hard time finding a good comparrison graph for new cases and new deaths (aggregate deaths loses trends).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, gorbachav5 said:

It must be nice to be able to get tested if you want.  I called my health care provider letting them know that while I don't have symptoms, I'd just learned that a co-worker tested positive, and, for the sake of my family, I'd like to get tested.  They didn't really have a mechanism for that and said they'd have to submit a request to my primary care physician, who would then need to call me back and interview to see if I qualified.  I didn't get a call back for four days and, because I was asymptomatic, I didn't qualify for a test.  By then, what's the point anyway?  I've already been home to see the family.  I think there are non-insurance places I could go to get tested, but it's ridiculous that a giant health care provider like Kaiser would be this stupid about it.  I'm TRYING to be proactive and help with contact tracing and I'm actively obstructed and denied by the people who should be invested in knowing this kind of thing.

so.. got tested using a rapid test in Costa Mesa today, scheduled on Wed.  result came back about 15 minutes after a nasal swap (hurt), and i'm negative.

primary point - had to pay out of pocket ($225).  they might have accepted some insurance other than Kaiser.

Edited by Fisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fisix said:

so.. got tested using a rapid test in Costa Mesa today, scheduled on Wed.  result came back about 15 minutes after a nasal swap (hurt), and i'm negative.

primary point - had to pay out of pocket ($225).  they might have accepted some insurance other than Kaiser.

225 would it be best to get it free?. Anyways I hope that with time the spikes should go down and some treatment would be made available...important it needs to be done.

DuckPride 4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Fisix said:

so.. got tested using a rapid test in Costa Mesa today, scheduled on Wed.  result came back about 15 minutes after a nasal swap (hurt), and i'm negative.

primary point - had to pay out of pocket ($225).  they might have accepted some insurance other than Kaiser.

Not to make this an America bashing thread but....this is insane.

I can go to a testing centre right now and walk in and get a test for no charge. Also our pharmacies are about to start offering free tests in store. I'm glad to be in Canada right now.

 

Edited by nieder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, so, if the playoffs don't happen....what does that do to the lottery?

Do they just take the bottom 8 teams from the qualifier round (which wouldn't include Pittsburgh or Edmonton...but would include Chicago) and do the 2nd draw? Or, since TECHNICALLY they do know it was Qualifier Team E that got the pick...and counting backwards with points percentage it can be determined that Winnipeg would be "team E" so would they just give it to Winnipeg?

My guess is they would do the draw...but that's really unfortunate for Winnipeg lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Wait, so, if the playoffs don't happen....what does that do to the lottery?

Do they just take the bottom 8 teams from the qualifier round (which wouldn't include Pittsburgh or Edmonton...but would include Chicago) and do the 2nd draw? Or, since TECHNICALLY they do know it was Qualifier Team E that got the pick...and counting backwards with points percentage it can be determined that Winnipeg would be "team E" so would they just give it to Winnipeg?

My guess is they would do the draw...but that's really unfortunate for Winnipeg lol

I imagine the Lottery will go forward.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 7:57 PM, ike-1 said:

Or they just bump everyone up one spot. Bottom teams get the top picks. How it should be.

That I agree. This "new System" is a screw up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 1:10 PM, nieder said:

Not to make this an America bashing thread but....this is insane.

I can go to a testing centre right now and walk in and get a test for no charge. Also our pharmacies are about to start offering free tests in store. I'm glad to be in Canada right now.

 

We can also get a test for free, unless we request a different type of test like this one.  So no need to bash the country.  The fact that we're testing so much more than others already has us being bashed (a double edged sword).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

We can also get a test for free, unless we request a different type of test like this one.  So no need to bash the country.  The fact that we're testing so much more than others already has us being bashed (a double edged sword).

I agree Let's get into Poltics or Anti-Americanism I see each day....True Fact is we ask what This Curse,This Disease has done for the Sport we love and the League itself....Obstacles will be abound and Ducks imho need to focus on 8 months to plan What precautions that is needed. NOW.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...