The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Fisix

Bob Murray's Media Blitz - June '20

On 6/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, nieder said:

I had not even thought about that, but you are right. The games played requirement would surely have to change now. I can't remember - does the 40/70 game requirement include playoff games? If not, the league is not considering the 'play-in' round as playoff games, so will those games count to the player totals? They surely can't count differently for different teams.

I thought his comment about Daly and 'things we're planning' may have been referring to bringing the Draft to Anaheim since the Ducks have never hosted a league event. But it would make sense that teams are in communication with the league about the ED requirements. 

Maybe he’s planning to rig the draft lottery in our favor this year in lieu of of hosting a draft or all-star game! I’ll take that lol.

I think that the Ducks will be fine when it comes to having players to expose for the expansion requirement. Larsson needs just 10 games and Nicky D needs 11 assuming the threshold isn’t lowered due to the shortened season. They only need one more forward to expose in that scenario, such as Henrique, to be compliant.

On defense, it gets murky, but Djoos isn’t under contract after this year (RFA) and if the Ducks still believe that Mahura is going to be part of the future then I’d be surprised if they risk losing another young, LHD prospect to an expansion team. If that’s the case then I think the case is even stronger for Lindholm getting shipped out of town, same with Manson especially if they decide to re-sign Gudbranson. I’m not opposed to those happening just that Murray is the one ultimately making these huge decisions.

40 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Maybe he’s planning to rig the draft lottery in our favor this year in lieu of of hosting a draft or all-star game! I’ll take that lol.

I think that the Ducks will be fine when it comes to having players to expose for the expansion requirement. Larsson needs just 10 games and Nicky D needs 11 assuming the threshold isn’t lowered due to the shortened season. They only need one more forward to expose in that scenario, such as Henrique, to be compliant.

On defense, it gets murky, but Djoos isn’t under contract after this year (RFA) and if the Ducks still believe that Mahura is going to be part of the future then I’d be surprised if they risk losing another young, LHD prospect to an expansion team. If that’s the case then I think the case is even stronger for Lindholm getting shipped out of town, same with Manson especially if they decide to re-sign Gudbranson. I’m not opposed to those happening just that Murray is the one ultimately making these huge decisions.

I get the feeling that it's Lindholm and Mason that are REALLY on notice from BM with his talk of leadership and stepping up....Manson more so than Lindholm.

But I REALLY feel bad trying to put any real blame on them when I really believe we need to change the assistants before we change the players...

1 minute ago, Jasoaks said:

I get the feeling that it's Lindholm and Mason that are REALLY on notice from BM with his talk of leadership and stepping up....Manson more so than Lindholm.

But I REALLY feel bad trying to put any real blame on them when I really believe we need to change the assistants before we change the players...

Yeah, I think it’s more just their contract situations, and that the Ducks are rebuilding that could get them both traded. My question is what their values would be and if Murray could get good enough returns. The ED could fast track that just a bit. We have too many LHD plus guys like Thrun and Lacombe in the pipeline. Get good picks/young prospects to sync up with younger players that will hopefully turn into a solid foundation for sustained success.

Too bad we wasted our re-tread on Randy, should have brought back Burkie!!

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Do they believe this? The Ducks have so many LHDs right now that it makes me think they aren't really sold on Mahura's development. I currently put him around 5th or 6th on the depth chart behind Lindholm, Fowler, Djoos, and Larsson, and probably about even with Guhle. And although I haven't seen him in-person yet, it sounds like Benoit is developing nicely as well. That's a LOT of bodies Mahura is going to have to beat out in order to get into the starting lineup. 

Also, with Larsson still needing 10 games under the current rules, keep in mind he loses his waivers exemption next season, so the Ducks won't be able to bounce him back and forth to get those games in. If he gets outplayed early on by Djoos, Mahura, Guhle, etc., then it will make for some interesting roster decisions with respect to the ED.

43 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Do they believe this? The Ducks have so many LHDs right now that it makes me think they aren't really sold on Mahura's development. I currently put him around 5th or 6th on the depth chart behind Lindholm, Fowler, Djoos, and Larsson, and probably about even with Guhle. And although I haven't seen him in-person yet, it sounds like Benoit is developing nicely as well. That's a LOT of bodies Mahura is going to have to beat out in order to get into the starting lineup. 

Also, with Larsson still needing 10 games under the current rules, keep in mind he loses his waivers exemption next season, so the Ducks won't be able to bounce him back and forth to get those games in. If he gets outplayed early on by Djoos, Mahura, Guhle, etc., then it will make for some interesting roster decisions with respect to the ED.

That’s the question. I think moving Lindholm would create quite a competition for those spots in the lineup. Like you said, they have too many bodies back there and something has to give. Mahura has only 28 NHL games and I thought he deserved more than the 11 he got this season. Especially, after seeing Larsson and Guhle struggle so much. Theodore played 53 games in Anaheim before going to Vegas and don’t want a possible repeat of getting rid of a guy too early at his age.

Good point on the waivers exemption and that Murray can’t just put him on the beach liner to SD every other day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

It seems to me he is calling them out or it's more then just Manson and Lindholm...Clearly there is blame to go around why our Ducks are in this situation.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That’s the question. I think moving Lindholm would create quite a competition for those spots in the lineup. Like you said, they have too many bodies back there and something has to give. Mahura has only 28 NHL games and I thought he deserved more than the 11 he got this season. Especially, after seeing Larsson and Guhle struggle so much. Theodore played 53 games in Anaheim before going to Vegas and don’t want a possible repeat of getting rid of a guy too early at his age.

Good point on the waivers exemption and that Murray can’t just put him on the beach liner to SD every other day.

This is exactly why I DON'T favor moving Lindholm. Every prospect in the pipeline that is or has been in line to take a top-4 LD spot from Lindholm has shown no real signs of being able to fill his role. Moving Lindholm just to create competition for his spot among vastly inferior players makes zero sense to me.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is exactly why I DON'T favor moving Lindholm. Every prospect in the pipeline that is or has been in line to take a top-4 LD spot from Lindholm has shown no real signs of being able to fill his role. Moving Lindholm just to create competition for his spot among vastly inferior players makes zero sense to me.

I would definitely be in favor of the competition route if Lindholm wasn’t going to be a UFA in two years. I think he’s the best defender that the Ducks have and will be in line to make more money than Fowler on his next contract. He’ll be 29 the first season it kicks in. If Lindholm was 3-4 years younger then it’s a no-brainer that you keep him and let the competition rage on. To me, the Ducks don’t have that luxury with them rebuilding and needing quality assets at other positions. I think that Lindholm is primed to be a casualty for that reason. Plus, their two highest ceiling defensive prospects are Thrun and LaCombe, IMO, who also are LHD. Lindholm also held out prior to signing his current deal and may want out of town given that the Ducks aren’t a perennial playoff team and may not be one for a while. Recently, Murray also doesn’t seem to keep players who hold out or go to arbitration (I.e. Ritchie, Montour).

So, it’s those other factors as to why I think Lindholm is going to be moved at some point. The Ducks would be forced since he’d be more valuable long-term to the Ducks being traded then he would be if he stays. It’s certainly not an optimal situation as far as putting young, unproven guys into roles that they may ultimately not be suited for.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

On 6/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

i sort of lost the plot with Larsson and Guhle.  I think if the season had gone on as planned, one or both might have been moved in the summer time, with hopes that they'd bring something decent in the F ranks in return.  short season might have scuttled that.  

i still see mahura as better than pretty much all the other rookies or rookie-adjacents.  i think he was sent down to develop more, and more safely, while Larsson and Guhle were given the ultimatum spots - get really good or get traded.  i think BM is trying to treat mahura like he says he wishes he'd treated Cam, so kid gloves for now. 

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

i sort of lost the plot with Larsson and Guhle.  I think if the season had gone on as planned, one or both might have been moved in the summer time, with hopes that they'd bring something decent in the F ranks in return.  short season might have scuttled that.  

i still see mahura as better than pretty much all the other rookies or rookie-adjacents.  i think he was sent down to develop more, and more safely, while Larsson and Guhle were given the ultimatum spots - get really good or get traded.  i think BM is trying to treat mahura like he says he wishes he'd treated Cam, so kid gloves for now. 

Nothing wrong with being patient...Ducks are always have good habit in being patient with their Prospects. Mahura I am sure if Season was not scuttled due to the Pandemic Mahura would get some benefits IF AHL Playoffs started instead of being Cancelled.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 6/22/2020 at 1:18 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Recently, Murray also doesn’t seem to keep players who hold out or go to arbitration (I.e. Ritchie, Montour).

So, it’s those other factors as to why I think Lindholm is going to be moved at some point. The Ducks would be forced since he’d be more valuable long-term to the Ducks being traded then he would be if he stays. It’s certainly not an optimal situation as far as putting young, unproven guys into roles that they may ultimately not be suited for.

I think Murray moves guys that file for arbitration or hold out when he doesn't think they are a good enough player to do so. I liked Ritchie for what he brought but he was not a good enough player to think he could hold out for a big contract. Murray seems to want to put guys like that in their place. Lindholm on the other hand is a legit top 3 defenseman so I don't know if Murray would jettison him the same way.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:36 PM, Fisix said:

I tend to agree re: Mahura, I think they are trying to take it really slow with him because they see his potential as being higher than Larsson or Guhle. He's also a year younger than those 2 guys. Hopefully he has a breakout season next season, whenever that may be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nieder said:

I think Murray moves guys that file for arbitration or hold out when he doesn't think they are a good enough player to do so. I liked Ritchie for what he brought but he was not a good enough player to think he could hold out for a big contract. Murray seems to want to put guys like that in their place. Lindholm on the other hand is a legit top 3 defenseman so I don't know if Murray would jettison him the same way.

I tend to agree re: Mahura, I think they are trying to take it really slow with him because they see his potential as being higher than Larsson or Guhle. He's also a year younger than those 2 guys. Hopefully he has a breakout season next season, whenever that may be.

The Montour trade was the most surprising though because Murray moved a top-4 RHD when we had no real quality depth on that side (Welinski, Dotchin) and he was still going to be under team control after his current contract. I think the rebuild and Lindholm’s contract would be the driving factors that jettison him. To me, his hold out just stresses that he’s likely going to want more money that Murray would otherwise want to pay him, assuming he wants to re-sign. If the Ducks were contending then, I’d surely agree with you that the hold out is less relevant because he’s a top defensemen.

18 hours ago, Fisix said:

I just read the news on the new assistant GM.  do we know who was in that position before Madden?

Nonis?

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Montour trade was the most surprising though because Murray moved a top-4 RHD when we had no real quality depth on that side (Welinski, Dotchin) and he was still going to be under team control after his current contract. I think the rebuild and Lindholm’s contract would be the driving factors that jettison him. To me, his hold out just stresses that he’s likely going to want more money that Murray would otherwise want to pay him, assuming he wants to re-sign. If the Ducks were contending then, I’d surely agree with you that the hold out is less relevant because he’s a top defensemen.

I think at that time GMBM was still under the impression (delusion?) that #4 could play the right side, so he was envisioning Fowler being paired long-term with a Guhle or Larsson. At least that's what his comments last summer seemed to suggest. Speaking of Fowler, if the Ducks are facing a logjam on the left side of the blue line in two years and HAVE to jettison a top-4 LHD in exchange for rebuild talent, count me in for re-signing Lindholm and trading Fowler. Lindholm is better and younger, and Cam's history of knee injuries makes me worried about the longevity of a guy who's game is 100% built on his world-class skating ability. Fowler could also get a bigger return since he wouldn't be a rental. I also see the skills sets of guys like Mahura and Guhle as being a closer match to #4 than #47.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Nonis?

I think at that time GMBM was still under the impression (delusion?) that #4 could play the right side, so he was envisioning Fowler being paired long-term with a Guhle or Larsson. At least that's what his comments last summer seemed to suggest. Speaking of Fowler, if the Ducks are facing a logjam on the left side of the blue line in two years and HAVE to jettison a top-4 LHD in exchange for rebuild talent, count me in for re-signing Lindholm and trading Fowler. Lindholm is better and younger, and Cam's history of knee injuries makes me worried about the longevity of a guy who's game is 100% built on his world-class skating ability. Fowler could also get a bigger return since he wouldn't be a rental. I also see the skills sets of guys like Mahura and Guhle as being a closer match to #4 than #47.

I think delusion is probably more accurate lol. I know he thinks that defensemen should be able to play either side but that’s usually not the case. It just seems too flippant to assume that a player just can switch sides after years of conditioning, handling the puck and positioning habits on a certain side and be as effective.

I’ve thought about moving Fowler and keeping Lindholm. If I had to choose one to keep, I agree in keeping Lindholm just based on him being younger and better overall. I just think that Fowler is going to be harder to move since he has a 4-team trade list that he submits each year which can almost act like a full NTC and that he could likely have to sign off on being traded. Also, I think that the Ducks just have an affinity for Fowler and want to see him being a lifelong Duck and setting all the franchise records for defensemen. Giving him that 8-year deal seems like they are hoping that will be the case, even after the trade rumors a couple of years back. So, I’d be surprised if they moved on from him within the next 2 years.

Fowler’s got cost certainty for 6 more years and Lindholm’s value is dependent on how much term would be left on his contract. So, I don’t think the Ducks can wait too long if they want to get a quality return, particularly if Lindholm is the one getting shipped. Also, what could Fowler fetch in a return? Seems tough to ballpark given all things considered. 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:38 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The only players of note that need new contracts are Terry, Milano and Larsson, all of whom are RFA's. Only Milano has arbitration rights and none of them are going to command major money and the Ducks have just over $8 mil in cap space for next season. Not sure when free agency is going to occur, but the Ducks added to their LHD recently by signing Kodie Curran. I think the bigger question is going to be who Murray is likely to trade. The LHD spot currently has Lindholm, Fowler, Djoos, Larsson, Guhle, Mahura, Benoit and Curran.

Personally, I'd be much more willing to take a swing on a Pietrangelo or even Tyson Barrie if the Ducks were closer to contending or at least had established the next core wave of players. Without that foundation in place first, I don't think you can ultimately build a championship team. The young guys struggled for the most part last year and Zegras still hasn't even played a pro game. We should land another very good player (fingers crossed for a lottery pick) this year but still need more blue chip, high ceiling prospects more than anything, IMO. If Murray is under a mandate to try and get the team back in the playoffs next year then adding, say Pietrangelo, and then trading Lindholm to bring in competent scorer would be a route to go.

If Murray wants to make a noticeable UFA move this offseason, then I'd kick the tires on Byfuglien or Shattenkirk (again). Both guys would be instant boosts to the PP if nothing else and shouldn't be outrageously expensive in term or money.

Terry now locked up for three years. Terms still not reported as of this post, but I'm guessing/hoping it will be something close to the Ritchie contract - i.e. ~$1.5M AAV with salary increasing progressively over the life of the contract. 

17 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Terry now locked up for three years. Terms still not reported as of this post, but I'm guessing/hoping it will be something close to the Ritchie contract - i.e. ~$1.5M AAV with salary increasing progressively over the life of the contract. 

Good Deal imho. Makes me wonder who will Ducks signed next.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

20 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Fantastic! now make him the center we all know he's destined to be!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Yep, $1.45 mil/aav which is right in line with Ritchie ($1.49 mil) got and Terry gets $1.55 mil in the final year. Not bad at all. If Terry can put up 25-30 pts then it's a solid contract for the Ducks and he's still an RFA when it's up. I'm just waiting for the day when we have a player worth giving a max extension to!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Fantastic! now make him the center we all know he's destined to be!

Great News for the Ducks to sign a ext for our future...Looking forward to Ducks 28th season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

with the salary cap staying the same we should be able to sign a player to boost the offence and help/ take the pressure from the youngsters  

44 minutes ago, Joker8 said:

with the salary cap staying the same we should be able to sign a player to boost the offence and help/ take the pressure from the youngsters  

Would not hurt to dip into the FA Pool.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, FlyingCoffeeTables said:

My apologies, I've been out of the loop for a few months now. Has there been any mention of a backup goalie? I haven't heard Miller (40) retired. As far as I know he has no new contract nor any word on possible replacement.

Last I heard he was mulling it over...and that 'cause of Covid it might "force him" into making that decision. I'm not sure why it would force him...maybe 'cause the risk isn't worth it to him? Or maybe just too long of an off-season to get back into game shape. I hope he continues...and resigns...he wasn't missing a beat. He still looked solid.

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Last I heard he was mulling it over...and that 'cause of Covid it might "force him" into making that decision. I'm not sure why it would force him...maybe 'cause the risk isn't worth it to him? Or maybe just too long of an off-season to get back into game shape. I hope he continues...and resigns...he wasn't missing a beat. He still looked solid.

I remember seeing him on NBCS (I think), where they were interviewing players remotely. Don't remember a mention of if he wanted to continue or call it. Hope he stays on board. Solid dude. Solid backup. And looking at the roster... Gibson is going to need vacation time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

IMHO he is reliable Backup with lot of Experience.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

let's agree that going forward, we'll write that as "re-signs."  lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

let's agree that going forward, we'll write that as "re-signs."  lol.

hahahaha...oh man...that's too good. I didn't even notice that.

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

IMHO he is reliable Backup with lot of Experience.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, FlyingCoffeeTables said:

I remember seeing him on NBCS (I think), where they were interviewing players remotely. Don't remember a mention of if he wanted to continue or call it. Hope he stays on board. Solid dude. Solid backup. And looking at the roster... Gibson is going to need vacation time.

Completely agree! 

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Completely agree! 

I agree too....I mean last Ducks Goalie I know our team relied was Ducks Legendary Goalie JS Giguere.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck