The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DT2008

Lottery

2 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

He's Swedish, so I think we get him just by Constitutional law, right?

I believe that’s the ruling on that, yes

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

What do you guys think of Holtz? Or Rossi instead of Drysdale? 

I think that Holtz is going to be our pick because I doubt Rossi or Drysdale would fall to 6th for us to take. Plus, Murray has said that he's targeting shooters, so I'd think he's our pick over a guy like Raymond. It's either Holtz or Raymond for us, IMO. The real gut punch is the fact that LA will get Byfield. That is just awful for the Ducks' going forward.

10 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I love Holtz. Could really mesh with Zegras 

yeah! I was thinking the same thing! might be a better pick than Drysdale right now...

Looks like Bettman rigged it as best he could for Chicago. Nothing against Montreal but I really hope they lose or I really hope Chicago and Montreal win in the first round.

5 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I think that Holtz is going to be our pick because I doubt Rossi or Drysdale would fall to 6th for us to take. Plus, Murray has said that he's targeting shooters, so I'd think he's our pick over a guy like Raymond. It's either Holtz or Raymond for us, IMO. The real gut punch is the fact that LA will get Byfield. That is just awful for the Ducks' going forward.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. And I'm not unhappy with Holtz from what i've been reading...And yes, absolutely. Him and Doughty with Kopi and whoever they have in the wings after Quick...(i've heard rumors he's promising) they are gonna be a defensive nightmare

1 minute ago, perry_mvp said:

Looks like Bettman rigged it as best he could for Chicago. Nothing against Montreal but I really hope they lose or I really hope Chicago and Montreal win in the first round.

Yeaaaah...but then Pittsburgh and Edmonton get a chance at that #1...and....ugh....

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeaaaah...but then Pittsburgh and Edmonton get a chance at that #1...and....ugh....

My understanding is that it's based off points percentage and the next 2 worst teams are Arizona and Minnesota. This whole thing is confusing. Should have just been the bottom 7 teams going for the top 3 picks but Bettman wanted Chicago to have a chance at #1.

Edited by perry_mvp

Don’t get me wrong, we’re getting a great player at 6. It’s just annoying that we’ve never had a shot at drafting 1. Kind of crazy that we’ve built such a consistently great team for so long considering we never drafted first overall. 

Just now, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. And I'm not unhappy with Holtz from what i've been reading...And yes, absolutely. Him and Doughty with Kopi and whoever they have in the wings after Quick...(i've heard rumors he's promising) they are gonna be a defensive nightmare

Yeah. It's not a knock on Holtz and I think he could be a good player. I'd be happy to take him at 6th but Byfield has the potential to be the superstar that we desperately need and if he does pan out, then Ducks are pretty screwed having to go against him for the next decade +. The Ducks' road back to a Stanley Cup just got a lot harder, IMO.

9 minutes ago, loggoog said:

I 100% think something is up.... either the Hawks or Oil get the 1st?!?!

5B93A8D9-2E5D-4B2F-B0A8-DE2A71C18D02.jpeg

wait wait wait...what? I thought there would be ANOTHER draft? with all the teams that lost in the qualifying round having a 12.5% chance?? I don't think this tweet is correct...

31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah. It's not a knock on Holtz and I think he could be a good player. I'd be happy to take him at 6th but Byfield has the potential to be the superstar that we desperately need and if he does pan out, then Ducks are pretty screwed having to go against him for the next decade +. The Ducks' road back to a Stanley Cup just got a lot harder, IMO.

Well yeah, we are a bit screwed...but also look at Nashville...they had Weber. Hell they had a crazy plethora of D at one point that would be a #1/2 on any team...they couldn't get much done. The Kings will pick Byfield...no question. But they also need forwards...ugh, still. It really sucks.

9 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Geez. I don’t know if you could pick two more undeserving teams

Eric Stephens was being sarcastic. There's another draw for the #1 pick. He's just saying that teams like Hawks or Oilers can get #1 pick to show how dumb this lottery was.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, gilligoos said:

Eric Stephens was being sarcastic. There's another draw for the #1 pick. He's just saying that teams like Hawks or Oilers can get #1 pick to show how dumb this lottery was.

Yeah, and it's an absolute joke that could happen, but we are living in dumb times, so this fits in pretty well lol.

56 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well yeah, we are a bit screwed...but also look at Nashville...they had Weber. Hell they had a crazy plethora of D at one point that would be a #1/2 on any team...they couldn't get much done. The Kings will pick Byfield...no question. But they also need forwards...ugh, still. It really sucks.

Yeah. It sucks something awful. The Kings are absolutely loaded going forward, so we need to hope that they have a high rate of busts. Their center depth is unreal with Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Thomas, Dudas, Madden and they have guys like Kaliyev and Fagemo on the wings. They have solid D prospects as well with Bjornfot, Klague, Spence and Anderson, so they more than enough assets to trade and upgrade their roster. Today's results just made the odds of the Ducks hanging any type of banner up in Honda Center much worse in the future. 

Nashville never got over the hump but they have gotten closer to the Cup than the Ducks have in recent years. I hate this draft!

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

37 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, and it's an absolute joke that could happen, but we are living in dumb times, so this fits in pretty well lol.

Yeah. It sucks something awful. The Kings are absolutely loaded going forward, so we need to hope that they have a high rate of busts. Their center depth is unreal with Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Vilardi, Anderson-Dolan, Thomas, Dudas, Madden and they have guys like Kaliyev and Fagemo on the wings. They have solid D prospects as well with Bjornfot, Klague, Spence and Anderson, so they more than enough assets to trade and upgrade their roster. Today's results just made the odds of the Ducks hanging any type of banner up in Honda Center much worse in the future. 

Nashville never got over the hump but they have gotten closer to the Cup than the Ducks have in recent years. I hate this draft!

I’m hoping, that because of their depth at center they will pass on Byfield (or trade down a spot) and we trade up with Ottawa’s third and we can get him...wishful thinking, but they would still have 5 and 5 plus probably our what is it 20 sumthing and a prospect? I’m down we need that a Getzlaf replacement. Dudes 6-4 at 18. Could get bigger. And he was adjust a little behind Lafreniere in points.

Edited by ike-1

So there is a video of the ball draw...it's...confusing af lol

I guess they put 14 balls in, each with a number 1 - 14. And then they draw 4 creating a combo of numbers. Each team is given a certain amount of 4 number combos (presumably more for the higher percentage teams) and if one of your combos is drawn, then you get the pick.

Seems...problematic to me...but I don't know enough about probability and stats to fully explain why...lol

If like, an LA combo came out again for the 3rd pick they would just redraw. But why decide to pick #1 first? Why not do #3 first? It's just the same to the odds... and in that case, placeholder team gets the #3 pick and ottawa would get the 1st pick...

Edited by Jasoaks

28 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

I’m hoping, that because of their depth at center they will pass on Byfield (or trade down a spot) and we trade up with Ottawa’s third and we can get him...wishful thinking, but they would still have 5 and 5 plus probably our what is it 20 sumthing and a prospect? I’m down we need that a Getzlaf replacement. Dudes 6-4 at 18. Could get bigger. And he was adjust a little behind Lafreniere in points.

I can't see Ottawa moving either of their picks, let alone to us since we don't have the assets for it. They are bad for a reason and Melnyk is cheap. Those picks could go a long way of building their core to go along with Chabot, Tkachuk and Brannstrom. The Kings would probably move one of their other centers along with shifting one them to the wing since Byfield would become their highest rated prospect to presumably take over for Kopitar as their future 1C. Maybe if Chiarelli was their GM, they'd do something like that but the Ducks got boned and LA struck gold in this lottery. Time to set our sights on Shane Wright in 2022!

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

43 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

So there is a video of the ball draw...it's...confusing af lol

I guess they put 14 balls in, each with a number 1 - 14. And then they draw 4 creating a combo of numbers. Each team is given a certain amount of 4 number combos (presumably more for the higher percentage teams) and if one of your combos is drawn, then you get the pick.

Seems...problematic to me...but I don't know enough about probability and stats to fully explain why...lol

If like, an LA combo came out again for the 3rd pick they would just redraw. But why decide to pick #1 first? Why not do #3 first? It's just the same to the odds... and in that case, placeholder team gets the #3 pick and ottawa would get the 1st pick...

The number combinations isn't new, it's been that way the past few drafts. So now that I understand this phase #2 nonsense, it's pure BS.

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

do they remove some balls after a pick?

it's such a rube goldberg machine

8 hours ago, Fisix said:

do they remove some balls after a pick?

it's such a rube goldberg machine

They don't remove balls but some balls got picked multiple times. The teams number combinations are not revealed. 

12 minutes ago, perry_mvp said:

They don't remove balls but some balls got picked multiple times. The teams number combinations are not revealed. 

exactly this...

really, now that I've slept on it...I realized...it's all Taylor Hall's fault 'cause he's on a potential playoff team...so basically Arizona is gonna lose...and then they'll win the phase 2 lottery

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

exactly this...

really, now that I've slept on it...I realized...it's all Taylor Hall's fault 'cause he's on a potential playoff team...so basically Arizona is gonna lose...and then they'll win the phase 2 lottery

Taylor Hall is like the anti-Messier. He'll captain your team straight to a lottery win. 

It really sucks but if you ask me the Lottery should have been done with the ONLY 7....SEVEN Teams that did not make the Playoffs. 

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

This whole thing makes the league look like a joke IMO. I can't imagine what casual fans are thinking. A team that is still alive now has a chance at the Cup and at the first overall? The entire thing is comical. It really makes me think less of the NHL and makes me less likely to watch games.

8 hours ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

The league so wants the teams at the bottom to remain there with a team still eligible to win the Cup getting #1 pick.  Just so glad Kings did not get the top pick!

Well Let's be Happy bout that..Also it would be nice if our Ducks select a Finn in Anton Lundell.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

The league so wants the teams at the bottom to remain there with a team still eligible to win the Cup getting #1 pick.  Just so glad Kings did not get the top pick!

The Kings will get a guy who might end up being the best player in the draft though. Them getting #2 is actually pretty awful for the Ducks, not only just for within the Pacific but in the West as well. Murray and co. better have and get some top-tier prospects within the next couple of drafts. I'm already looking ahead to the Shane Wright Sweepstakes of 2022.

I think this Lottery system would have work better if they just not screw it up and have this "Phase" system...Not right when a Placeholder from teams who lose in the so called Play-ins get a chance to get 1st overall Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck