The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
Fisix

What does it mean - ECHL affiliate?

What does it mean for us to have a new ECHL affiliate?  Does that help us with recruiting/draft, or is it mostly support for the Gulls?

Just wondering, and sort of wondering how many of the other NHL teams do/don't have ECHL affiliates.  

On 7/8/2020 at 12:11 AM, Fisix said:

What does it mean for us to have a new ECHL affiliate?  Does that help us with recruiting/draft, or is it mostly support for the Gulls?

Just wondering, and sort of wondering how many of the other NHL teams do/don't have ECHL affiliates.  

Well Fisix I will answer that, imho Purpose i always know as long as I remember for the Ducks or any Team that has AHL and ECHL team is to ensure that other Ducks Prospects can develop in a winning environment. Look at the history of our team....Our Ducks have always ton of Prospects they keep and usually if you have AHL team and some earn a spot on that top farm team...Where will the others go?...They go to the ECHL which supports the Gulls or Any AHL team...Think of it as 3 layers...1st is NHL which is our Ducks 2nd....San Gulls/AHL and 3rd is ECHL which is Tulsa. Those who do not earn that spot on ECHL are like the Ducks always do be assign back to their Juniors,College or Euro leagues for one year of seasoning.

How many NHL teams have ECHL Affliates?....well including our Ducks is 25...hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I've always wondered if the geographical area of affiliated franchises hurts or helps as far as development.  Clearly, having the Gulls nearby helps us with Cap swaps and moving players up and down pretty much effortlessly... but the players are also in a non-hockey general climate.  I don't think it matters much with NHL/professional players, but stuck in the back of my mind is the idea that maybe the kids don't get there playing and living that far south while they're developing... unless they're Auston Matthews.  

That's probably a stupid thought on my part... I think I'm just trying to figure out why a lot of our NHL players don't seem to have that really aggressive drive to play hard and overpower other teams.  Not brutish, but just more sharpness on the ice.  We've imported it, and Getz and Perry had it and kept it, but... I don't think we've every really developed it in any of our drafted players.  It's one of the things that separates us, as a team, from the Kings (when they're playing well and not giving people concussions, etc.).

I'm not being particularly articulate or conceptually precise here... but I hope you get what I mean.  Hampus and Raks are good players, and they've both had flashes of asserting their presence on the ice (Hampus more than Raks, of late), but not in a way where the other team hesitates to engage (like with Getz).

Meandering thoughts on a friday. 

I always see ECHL team supporting AHL....it's basically 3 tier system...I call it Triple Alliance back in the Day when Ducks and other NHL and MLB teams have this system.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 7/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, Fisix said:

Thanks!  I've always wondered if the geographical area of affiliated franchises hurts or helps as far as development.  Clearly, having the Gulls nearby helps us with Cap swaps and moving players up and down pretty much effortlessly...

Geography definitely messes with an NHL team. Anaheim used to have an AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates. That's Portland Maine. Between Portland and the OC, I think that's the two farthest away locations you can find. Then there was the Iowa... Uh Porkchops? I'm blanking on the name. But it was pig. Next was I think the time the Ducks shared an AHL team which ended up being a huge nightmare. Then there was the big push to move more teams out west for all the Pacific Division based teams and the Norfolk Admirals moved from Virginia to SD.

But yeah, ECHL is only gonna be 3rd tier players. They fill in the holes in the AHL team when the NHL team losses players from injury and poaches from them.

Or the ECHL team can be used for creative accounting. Back when the team was in Portland or Iowa and the ECHL team was in Bakersfield, for cap reasons, a few of the young dudes (one being Bobby Ryan) had to make daily trips to Bakersfield for cap reasons.

• Like 1