The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

On 9/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, Fisix said:

and Khudobin?  

He played 9 games for us, I don't really care about him to be honest.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

i think i remember some of the players saying they enjoyed his company/presence in the locker room/on the bench.  something positive that went beyond the typical hockey teammate patter.  shrug.  i like seeing the family trees.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I actually was at one of those games haha...the Minnesota game...I remember he played and it was the first game we won of that season! I had no idea who he was...and then was like "ohhh i like him!"

There are good stories on both sides of this series...Stamkos playing 2 minutes and getting a goal...almost the game winning goal...and then not playing another shift...fascinating to see how that plays.

I'm guessing he sits for Game 4 and is back "in" for Game 5....especially if they win Game 4 lol

3 hours ago, nieder said:

Why? Josi is great.

Some of the votes for the awards are a joke though. Somebody actually gave a vote to Chara for the Norris.

I don't like the Norris cause it's an award for a single position but the voting criteria isn't consistent and the goal posts seem to shift on a year to year basis. One season it can go to the highest scoring defenceman. Cool. Carlson would have ran away with the scoring race if play wasn't suspended and unlike some previous high scoring d-men to win the Norris, he can actually hold it down in his own end. Other years it does what it claims to and goes to the best overall player at the position. Again, cool. Hedman is in the Stanley Cup Final and would have a reasonable shot at the Conn Smythe should they win it. This year the Norris went to neither. Both Carlson and Hedman deserved it more.

Josi? Barf. He is great.. At grabbing the wrong side of his face and pirouetting the second a stick blade approaches his visor. Or hiding behind a zebra after he crosschecks someone in the chin. Or skating off to let his bigger teammates fight his wars for him after he spends a shift slashing up a storm in front of his own net. It's one thing to be a sneaky pest but at least own up to it. Yeah, I'm salty as hell to the point where I'm disregarding his actual on-ice talent clearly but his level of punk-assness is what I despise most about the current NHL. Even though I stand by my opinion that the award was between Carlson and Hedman, I'll admit I am wayyy too biased here to give him credit. Award it to Seth Jones or something if this is the season voters want to start thinking outside the box.

Man, Dallas is looking so bad. Heiskanen has had a pretty bad series so far. Lots of turn overs, bad decisions. The kid is 20. It's understandable. They're rookie mistakes. 

PEERRRRRRY!!!!!!!! :D

Also....his son....wow....not sure why but what a weird phrase to hear "Corey Perry's son" ...like an old friend you've known since junior high having a kid...lol anyway....his son...so cute!!

• Like 1

It's just...wow...so Dallas is NOT in sync...so much standing around looking, not sure what to do, passes going to places where players just vacated...passes not connecting at all...

You know how like when at work or something...and there's someone who gets promoted or put in a position they aren't at all trained for, even if they think so...and for the most part they kinda survive, do a good enough job, making it...and you're feeling pretty proud of them!...but that's only 'cause it's a fairly easy time, nothing too stressful, not crunch time, or the rush or whatever...

And then it does become a tough time or stressful time or crunch time or rush or whatever...and they basically completely fall apart and all their flaws just come out to really hurt them....and you're like "oh yeah, yeah, that makes sense."

That's Dallas right now lol

Dallas just looks so bad. Not moving their feet. Not connecting. Can't clear pucks. Bull shiiit call, but still...you gotta kill that penalty...obviously lol....ugh...Stamkos will be in tomorrow and it's gonna take a lot to force a game 6.... and the Stars look exhausted.

This was Dallas all along.  Heiskanen came back to earth and Khudobin lost his spiritual connection to Dominik Hasek.  I think Vegas had a chance to make this a series.  Dallas has been expectedly mediocre, and Tampa is going to run circles around that all day.

Glad to see they have top notch officiating for the critical Stanley Cup Final games.

Completely missed making what should have been a Penalty call on Perry as the 3rd Period was winding down, and instead made a call that shouldn't have been made during OT.

I guess the OT penalty could be looked at as a make up call.

17 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Glad to see they have top notch officiating for the critical Stanley Cup Final games.

Completely missed making what should have been a Penalty call on Perry as the 3rd Period was winding down, and instead made a call that shouldn't have been made during OT.

I guess the OT penalty could be looked at as a make up call.

Yeah Perry should have just had the penalty...there was no embellishment...I don't think his teammates would have been upset...it was either that or let Point go in for an odd-man rush lol

But, man, I don't have faith in Dallas right now...I can't watch the game tonight...first game I've missed in a loooooong time...I hope they don't win it tonight lol

PERRRY!!!! twice!! coming up clutch!!

Ugh, just so nice to see....honestly, this is the first time we've got to see what a finals perry is like when he's not still figuring out his game...he's figuring out his game in a different way haha but nice to see him producing!

• Like 1

I want to talk Perry a little more haha

I've always felt that for us Perry was the X-factor. Every series we seemed to live or die per Perry's production. If he was producing; we won the series. If he wasn't; we lost.

His role is definitely different in Dallas -- and obviously he has hardly produced for them so he's not the x-factor, but he is definitely having an impact in regards to physical presence and penalties haha but net-front presence, too. On the ice for a lot of big goals, even if not getting a point out of it.

Now he has 3 goals in 2 games. And the first one was a bit of a messy goal, but he went to the front of the net. But what was so nice to see last night was that these 2 goals were more of the finesse side of Perry. While not "pretty" -- it was the Perry skill we've seen so much. Skating into a hole and catching the puck, shooting it under the arm, top corner! And his patience and lack of over-reacting or choking on that OT goal. That's experience right there.

He's got such killer instincts (those don't go away even when the legs/hands do). And that passion and drive. He's wearing the wrong uniform, but it's still great to see he still has it in him.

Anyway, just wanted to have a Perry appreciation post :) 

• Like 3

With that OT goal, Perry is now tied for 3rd place on the all-time playoff overtime winners list behind only Joe Sakic and Maurice Richard. What's crazy is how he didn't score his first one until he was 30. IIRC it was that one year they bullied the Flames so bad, they glued Gaudreau to the bench and tried kneeing Perry out of the playoffs only for him to come back a period later to send them golfing. I love how they're all basically the same chaotic goal almost every time too. He just parks himself right in front of the goalie and he either bangs at his own rebound until it goes in, or he patiently waits for the panicking goalie to make a move so he can slip the puck around his reach. 

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

With that OT goal, Perry is now tied for 3rd place on the all-time playoff overtime winners list behind only Joe Sakic and Maurice Richard. What's crazy is how he didn't score his first one until he was 30. IIRC it was that one year they bullied the Flames so bad, they glued Gaudreau to the bench and tried kneeing Perry out of the playoffs only for him to come back a period later to send them golfing. I love how they're all basically the same chaotic goal almost every time too. He just parks himself right in front of the goalie and he either bangs at his own rebound until it goes in, or he patiently waits for the panicking goalie to make a move so he can slip the puck around his reach. 

Didn't he also score the clinching goal in that series from a terrible angle that epitomized how awful the Flames' goaltending was in that series?   Brian Elliott, right?  Maybe I'm remembering that wrong, but I thought I remembered Perry scoring a goal in OT where he flung it at the net from almost the goal line and it somehow went in.

• Like 1

AMAZING game for Perry - and the goals were him skating at high speed directly down the throat of the TBL... they were so cathartic to watch, as was the hug with Cogs after Perry won the game for the team.

Those point stats on Pavelski and Perry are crazy.  And this last game... Cogs and Perry accounted for many of the dangerous SOGs...  That fist pump by the Stars' coach was pretty satisfying too.

Back down to earth - it seems like Dallas' top 2 lines are completely shut down, and so we're down to 4th lines, and Perry the Inexpensive is golden for the Stars right where he is.  I would like to hope that Dallas' most expensive players are going to... be shamed? into actually producing tonight.  I think Dallas is going to need more offense than just Perry or even Pavelski given that Dallas's defensive lines are being made to look abysmal, game after game.  Definitely part of it is Tampa's top lines having watched video, knowing where the holes are, and just playing out of their skulls, but at the same time, Dallas' D lines are looking more lost and just barely catching up than even attempting to be in control.  They're getting saved by the forwards almost every play, and so the offense stutters and stalls more often than not.

The most telling thing is that, in the even periods, when their D zone is opposite their bench, Dallas is expending all their energy just to NOT get scored on.  I haven't watched consistently enough to know whether that's injuries, exhaustion, or lack of speed relative to Tampa, or what, but they need that to turn around some, and they desperately need their special teams to turn whatever switch on, and right quick.

Separately, let me just say: the refereeing has been atrocious.  Refs are missing must-calls, then calling random bull sh!t, then reverting to make-up calls... the only thing I can give them credit for is that they don't want to decide the cup based on a call... but on the flip side, they're going to decide the cup on a non-call, and that's just as bad, especially when it's a blatant, inconsistent, missed call.  It feels like total insecurity on their part, and while there's a bit of consistency in them not making calls, their performance feels overall very inconsistent, which is horrible for a cup series.

all that out of the way... excited to see tonight.  either ex Ducks are going to extend the series, or an ex-Duck is going to win two cups in two seasons on different teams as a hired mercenary (though, to put it in a bit of perspective, Maroon's play has been more erratic than Dallas' over the past 4 games).

it's amazing to me how much action TB gets with the dump and chase.  they're just faster to the puck.

Dallas' defense is just so broken.  they play every shift like they've been out way too long - not charging after pucks, low motion, leaving people open for rebounds...

and Dallas' offense isn't much better... 4SOGs in the first period?  and most of those were after a penalty late in the 1st?  

man, they need to stop feeding the puck to the guy on the left who keeps whiffing... they give up shot chance after shot chance to pass it to that guy and he just whiffs high or left or right or slams it right in the bread basket.  take the quick shot down the center, or from the right side!  

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

Dear Dallas,

You cannot win if you don't shoot pucks towards the opponent's goal.

kthxbye.

They just keep passing........Tampa gets all of their sticks in the way 'cause Dallas just keeps passing and not shooting...so much possession...about the same as Tampa actually....hardly any shots or even shot attempts...

I don't want to hear any hockey player ever complain about the fans shouting "shoooot" any more....this is what happens when you don't. I think Dallas has forgotten what to do....

Tampa was just a step above everyone in the bubble and won without Stamkos. Hats off to them. Great team to watch and stacked from top to bottom.

After watching Brayden Point, I think Rossi could be his Austrian clone and I want to him to be a Duck more than ever lol

P.S. First time ever Bettman won't get booed presenting the Cup

whelp, the better team won, that's for sure.  didn't really make sense not to have Perry out there at the end... and i don't think they called a time out (and they needed it midway through the power play).

a bit frustrating that our Duck's defense seems a bit better than Dallas'.

a few TB players were d-bags tonight.  so, i'm glad the season is over, glad maroon keeps proving them wrong, but not a fan of TB, and not a fan of the Dallas coaching staff.

and the refs sucked.  game after game.  meh. 

13 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Tampa was just a step above everyone in the bubble and won without Stamkos. Hats off to them. Great team to watch and stacked from top to bottom.

After watching Brayden Point, I think Rossi could be his Austrian clone and I want to him to be a Duck more than ever lol

P.S. First time ever Bettman won't get booed presenting the Cup

haha, i was surprised they didn't pipe that in....seemed like a real missed opportunity :P

But congrats Tampa! From historic upset to Stanley Cup Champions...it's a great story! Stamkos being in one shift...Hedman and Point playing insane...

And of course...Dallas just forgetting that you need to shoot the puck if you want to score... Tampa was a beast though. And absolutely deserves it!!

I found it really interesting that Bowness was hugging each player on Tampa...he truly looks like he has a real strong relationship with his players....but then it was like the coldest most brushed off hand shake to Cooper...probably had a better hand shake at the benches, but it was just a weird thing to see after he had such intense hugs with the players.

I'm sad hockey is over though :( :( :( and I find it really selfish of Tampa to not let there be a Game 7 on my birthday....I wont forgive them for that haha

• Like 2