The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
FlyingCoffeeTables

2020 Playoffs

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

No, I don't believe so.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all eight teams that lose in the play-in round have an equal shot of getting the top spot in the draft.

I can confirm now that this is correct.  Every team that gets eliminated in the play-in round will have an equal shot at the number one pick. https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-first-phase-results/c-317275622

correct.........

so basically, in the first lottery draw... a team that loses in the qualifier round had a 24.5% chance of getting the #1 pick...for comparison...we had a 8.5% chance...Detroit had a 18.5% chance....Ottawa technically had a 25% chance due to having 2 picks...but essentially a loser from the qualifier round had a better chance to get the #1 pick than any of the lottery teams...

And now that they DID get it...it's a 12.5% chance for a team to get it. So, now, EACH TEAM THAT HAD THE CHANCE FOR A CUP RUN but LOST...has a BETTER percentage to get the #1 pick than 5 of the 7 teams from the first lottery...

If the Pens lose tomorrow...they will -- the 7th best team in the league -- have a significantly higher percentage chance to get the #1 pick than the Ducks -- 5th worse team in the league...

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Confused 1

It's still absolutely bogus that losing playoff teams were even allowed to be represented in a draft lottery with that placeholder spot, let alone given a shot to end up with the first selection. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

It's still absolutely bogus that losing playoff teams were even allowed to be represented in a draft lottery with that placeholder spot, let alone given a shot to end up with the first selection. 

Totally agree. Flawed schematic in every way. Whatever though, at least it won’t be like this every year .

2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

agreeeeeed. I  just don't get why they had to have the lottery BEFORE the qualifying round?! Couldn't they just have it Monday? Just have it Monday....ugh

Nashville losing is always a good thing imo, but why on earth wouldn’t they start Rinne over Saros? Who gives a Crap about the regular season, start the proven goalie.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yeaitsme said:

Nashville losing is always a good thing imo, but why on earth wouldn’t they start Rinne over Saros? Who gives a Crap about the regular season, start the proven goalie.

He's been straight up trash in the playoffs against every team that isn't located in Anaheim for a while now

• Like 1

sigh....god damnit yotes.....

also, come on! they're supposed to be in "arizona" stop playing that damn country music when Nashville scores!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

sigh....god damnit yotes.....

also, come on! they're supposed to be in "arizona" stop playing that damn country music when Nashville scores!!

same

6 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

That Seth Jones trade just keeps looking worse year after year and I love it

Oh yes....and the Weber trade....not that they have PK anyone more though...and lets through in the lack of getting Suter signed? lol I dunno, that team was stacked on D and has just....collapsed.

wooooooow....habs....woooooooooow

I'm mean, i'm super habby for them! ...but like...ugh...now PITTSBURGH could get the #1 pick....

I'm sure the Habs fan are upset they just played themselves out of the #1 french-canadian kid lol

12 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

For those of us hate-watching some of these series, the draft lottery is really screwing things up.  I'm happy to see Nashville and, to a much lesser extent, Pittsburgh get bounced from the playoffs.  But I'm dreading either of those teams getting the top pick in the draft.  Mostly Nashville.  Screw those guys.

Really, the only team I'm rooting for to win that lottery is Florida.  Maybe Columbus, if they blow the series to Toronto.

same same same....

I was actually hoping for Montreal for the pick ultimately....but yeah, Florida I guess is the next best right now....I mean, Hawks vs. Oilers....who is more annoying to have the #1 pick!?! it's painful lol I GUESS edmonton...since Chicago technically would have still HAD a chance for the pick in the normal lottery....but with much worse odds than 12.5%....ugh

26 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Here comes an Edmonton lottery win.

I posted this in the rumors section, but, when Edmonton inevitably wins the lottery, what do you think:

Gibson + Boston's 1st for the 1st overall

i dunno....we need Gibson more than Lafreniere if you ask me...I don't know how our goalie depth is, but goaltending is something you want to have shored up. I think that would make us weaker for a lot longer.

Blue Jackets just went full game 5 Oilers. Unreal especially since Toronto basically had a 3 stooges moment in front of the empty net.

• Like 1

ugh, honestly...Toronto getting the #1 pick could have benefited us a little bit...they may have been more likely to move a marner or nylander for a defenseman.....

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

ugh, honestly...Toronto getting the #1 pick could have benefited us a little bit...they may have been more likely to move a marner or nylander for a defenseman.....

they can still steal defeat from the jaws of success... still a game Sunday I think.

3 minutes ago, Fisix said:

they can still steal defeat from the jaws of success... still a game Sunday I think.

Yeah, that's the game 5...winner moves on. Kinda crazy that 5 of the 6 games today eliminated teams. ...if CBJ wins on Sunday it would basically have meant that the NHL COULD have just done a best of 3 like they originally proposed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Here comes an Edmonton lottery win.

I posted this in the rumors section, but, when Edmonton inevitably wins the lottery, what do you think:

Gibson + Boston's 1st for the 1st overall

The more I think about it, the more I like it. The thought of Gibson in an Oilers sweater is a little gross. Still, Mike Smith (surprisingly?) wasn't the problem in Edmonton so I'm not too worried on that end. I'd want to take Byfield with the #1 pick over Lafreniere though. The guy has Nextlaf written all over him even if the immediate payoff wouldn't be the same. Not the biggest deal since this team would be borderline unwatchable without Gibson for the next couple of seasons the same way they would've been since 2017-18. 

• Like 1

wait wait wait...does Minnesota own Pittsburgh first round pick??????

woah, wait...and did New Jersey own BOTH Arizona's AND Vancouvers??? And Ottawa owned the Islanders...and Carolina owns Torontos...and ironically the rangers owned Carolina's haha so if the rangers won, theyd still be in the running for the top pick...

wow...man, sucks for NJ and Ottawa lol but happy to see Pttsburgh can't get it...

oh...unless it's top-3 protected or something......

Edited by Jasoaks

At this point...I'd only be happy with Florida winning the draft lottery....

It's the only thing that can right this wrong that is the 2020 nhl draft...

Reason being in the original lottery, "Qualifying Team E" won the #1 pick...so, it doesn't matter how CBJ/TOR do, Florida sits in that "Qualifying Team E" slot now. That would at least essentially mean the 2nd lottery didn't REALLY have to happen.

man, i haven't watched Toronto much before, just drips and drabs.... they're a team with 1000 great ideas every play, but each player has ideas that are somehow completely orthogonal to all the ideas of his linemates, 99% of the time.

it's 50% keystone cops, self-inflicted.  another 30% lack of rhythm, and 15% unpracticed team-execution.  and the other 5% is when they finally get it together and score.

it's devastating when you think about how much money they're spending. 

Leafs giving me serious game 7 Ducks vibes right now. Starring John Tavares as Ryan Kesler with the 500 A+ chances he's had so far but couldn't get past a Finnish goalie playing over his head/the post