Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
FlyingCoffeeTables

2020 Playoffs

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

The teams in this league (and particularly our current GM) are copycats; they're going to emulate whoever wins the Cup

This. This is a GREAT reason to have the Avs (or Knights) win the Cup. Although trying to emulate the Knights would mean becoming an expansion team and being gifted those amazing rules of who got exposed...same for the Canucks to an extent.

But my hatred for the Stars has definitely dwindled...I felt we were missing more center depth in 2014 than D...BUT that was still an absolute garbage of a play by Gar-ass....

Pavelski was the ONLY shark I kinda liked and had respect for....was STOKED when he didn't re-sign with the Sharks...and I like Perry a lot and obviously we all love Cogs...that's enough for me. I also like have a lot of respect for Benn and Seguin...like Khudobin....Bishop...to me the team has changed enough to diminish my hate for them.

Having said all that, I'd be fine with an Avs win, too. Just no Bruins or Knights...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm now questioning this.  I think it was Garbutt that took out Robidas.  Not that it matters.  They were both awful.

it was Garbutt.  he sort of kneeled behind Robidas and took out his leg as Robidas was skating backwards, which "officially" re-broke Robidas' leg.

it's one of the weirdest things i've seen in hockey.  the Dallas coach clearly sent Garbutt out on the ice to do that very specific thing - there's even video of the coach sending him out.  the puck was nowhere near  Robidas at the time, and Garbutt snuck up behind him for the weird trip.  i don't think any penalty was called, and Robidas never skated in the NHL again.  

to me, it's clear that Robidas' leg didn't heal correctly and he came back too soon - that's sort of on us, sort of on Robidas.  he had already taken too long to heal when we traded for him, so it was a known issue.  it's also clear to me that Dallas' coach knew the weakness existed, and he sent Garbutt to do exactly what was needed to remove Robidas from the ice.

i don't remember any league or player's union investigation.  i can only think they decided not to because Robidas was still getting paid, and because Robidas took the ice knowing he wasn't ready (and might never be ready, since his leg wasn't healing correctly).

the only other times i've seen players taken out so effectively (when it's not a two handed stick to the back of the head) is when someone sticks out a knee and purposefully takes out an opponent for months.  one of the reasons why i'll never root for a team that includes Giordano.  the league and player's union is way too lenient on that Dehydrated Donkey Dung.

i should add that i have seen a similar play against a healthy player.  when he was on the Ducks, Bertuzzi had this inclination to skate backwards a lot.  I remember an opponent just sort of dropping to hands and knees behind him when he did that one time, and Bertuzzi tripped backwards and dropped like a stone - surprised and unhappy, but otherwise unhurt.  I remember the announcers on that game saying something like there was a weird skating rule that you weren't in control when skating backwards, so it wasn't callable as interference or tripping (it wasn't called that time either). 

i really struggled with Garbutt being on the Ducks.  i think BM tried to rebuild him after he lost credibility in the league for pulling stuff like the Robidas hit (and we could get Garbutt at a discount).  There WAS a sense that Garbutt was just out there to do exactly what the coach asked, without much thought into consequences, so that softened me to him a bit, but it never felt "right" to cheer while he was on the ice in a Ducks uniform.  I had issues with Bertuzzi too, but at least his thing seemed like more of an accident - at least in terms of the lasting harm.

sorry for the long trip down memory lane.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never could forgive Bertuzzi for what he did...career ending...intentional...it's bad. very bad.

But also, speaking of bad...seems like Ritchie is doing his part to help us out with getting a higher draft pick from Boston!! :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh god....oh god...it's just...heartbreaking watching this young bruins goalie get completely hung out to dry....he was not ready...but geez his D did NOTHING to help...ugh...they gotta put Halak back in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Great work, Tampa. Now kindly do that two more times.

yeep!...but man...you gotta feel for that young goalie...he looked so insecure...and nervous...out of position...not in control...ugh...poor guy...

Halak will definitely be in next game...but also...like would not be surprised to see Ritchie scratched....although I kinda hope not ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fisix said:

ouch.  what did NR do or not do that was bad?

Took a really bad unnecessary penalty that lead to the first Tampa goal...it was all Tampa after that basically. Just typical NR 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khudobin's edge work on his skates is just....mmmmm...BEAUTIFUL. He's got great legs...great balance...strong on his feet...he's very in control there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ritchie...another terrible penalty...tampa didn't score though 😕 

is this what it was like to root against us when we had Ritchie??? it's kinda nice haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Gooooodbye Ritchie.....

Boston should have scratched him....can't imagine he'll be back in the line up after this

Oh man. He’s managed to take even dumber and more dangerous penalties. Maybe he’s still a Duck at heart and just trying to help us get the best Boston pick possible.
 

No sympathy for Bruins fans!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Oh man. He’s managed to take even dumber and more dangerous penalties. Maybe he’s still a Duck at heart and just trying to help us get the best Boston pick possible.
 

No sympathy for Bruins fans!

 

SAAAAAAAME

And as an added bonus...as Tampa Bay goes further...the later the Sharks 1st round pick gets :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

SAAAAAAAME

And as an added bonus...as Tampa Bay goes further...the later the Sharks 1st round pick gets :P

Yeah, but knowing our luck, Doug Wilson will still draft an all-star with that pick. Very 2020 that 2 of the 3 California teams won the draft lottery this year but that the Ducks weren't one of them.

Also, these playoffs have made me appreciate how good Brayden Point is even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 8:11 PM, Jasoaks said:

Took a really bad unnecessary penalty that lead to the first Tampa goal...it was all Tampa after that basically. Just typical NR 

he did it again in yesterday's game.  very typical NR - skates over late to a hard but not illegal hit, gets drawn into a roughing that was just him punching an opponent in the face a couple times (with gloves on, so no damage).

i doubt Boston is going to give him much leeway.  i haven't looked at his ice time, but i can't imagine they're going to reward that.

 

edit - posted before reading the thread.  we are in agreement.

Edited by Fisix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruins-never-put-nick-ritchie-211913661.html

basically said everything i was thinking haha the only thing missing was saying the trade of Ritchie was ALSO celebrated by duck fans :P

i don't think i'd go so far as to blame the Bruin's "bad season" on Ritchie... the article is correct in general, but pretty harsh.

unfortunately, i think NR has wasted his shot - he could have been a Bruin hero (big dude who can shoot on a 3rd line), or maybe at least side-stepped the badmouthing by not taking the unnecessary penalties, but just like he was when he was with us, he just doesn't figure that stuff out in time:  You can't be a tank in this NHL without at least some guile, and NHL tanks need to carry the puck better than NR can - the speedier thinkers on the ice can draw a penalty off a single-tasker tank (without the puck) almost every play. 

Nick's never seemed super emotionally resilient, so i'll be surprised if he comes back from this.  Moreover, Boston will be happy to have a whipping boy who's just arrived on a mid season trade and who isn't named Tuukka Rask.

sigh.  Nick has a place in the AHL (the pay there isn't chump change, especially as a hopper), and there's still a chance he could learn the mountain of muscle memory he needs to stop taking bad penalties, with a few years on a well coached AHL team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

omg i just saw the Stars game - the Avalanche are folding.  3 goals with 8 shots on goal for the Stars, ZERO shots on goal for the Avalanch, 11 minutes into the 1st period.

wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fisix said:

omg i just saw the Stars game - the Avalanche are folding.  3 goals with 8 shots on goal for the Stars, ZERO shots on goal for the Avalanch, 11 minutes into the 1st period.

wow.

RIGHT?! it was very similar to the Flames game 6 haha but the end of that game gave the Avs hope...eerily reminiscent of when Freddie allowed those 2 goals in Game 5 against the Hawks.....

Also, what the hell?! How are Hart and Greiss the goalies in this Flyer/Islanders game?! lol not what I would have expected....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fisix said:

he did it again in yesterday's game.  very typical NR - skates over late to a hard but not illegal hit, gets drawn into a roughing that was just him punching an opponent in the face a couple times (with gloves on, so no damage).

i doubt Boston is going to give him much leeway.  i haven't looked at his ice time, but i can't imagine they're going to reward that.

 

edit - posted before reading the thread.  we are in agreement.

We are...but not with Cassidy...I bet you Ritchie is in the line tomorrow...the Bruins don't seem to be upset by it...shrug...lol

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

i don't think i'd go so far as to blame the Bruin's "bad season" on Ritchie... the article is correct in general, but pretty harsh.

unfortunately, i think NR has wasted his shot - he could have been a Bruin hero (big dude who can shoot on a 3rd line), or maybe at least side-stepped the badmouthing by not taking the unnecessary penalties, but just like he was when he was with us, he just doesn't figure that stuff out in time:  You can't be a tank in this NHL without at least some guile, and NHL tanks need to carry the puck better than NR can - the speedier thinkers on the ice can draw a penalty off a single-tasker tank (without the puck) almost every play. 

Nick's never seemed super emotionally resilient, so i'll be surprised if he comes back from this.  Moreover, Boston will be happy to have a whipping boy who's just arrived on a mid season trade and who isn't named Tuukka Rask.

sigh.  Nick has a place in the AHL (the pay there isn't chump change, especially as a hopper), and there's still a chance he could learn the mountain of muscle memory he needs to stop taking bad penalties, with a few years on a well coached AHL team.  

Honestly, man...see him tear up for 4 years at max...maybe 2 or 3 in the AHL, really get his confidence and fix his game...he could come back in his prime killing it...I dunno. That's an interesting idea...putting him in that league for a little bit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man...I just...I just hope Josh Manson is watching these playoffs...and he sees how amazing Theo is doing and performing...and he remembers...remember Josh...we picked you over Shea. And I hope that inspires him to get his game back!

Stop having us regret that move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know regardless of outcome... Fleury aint starting again for a little bit.....after that insane tweet from his agent and now it's a tied game... Lehner has 2 shut outs in this series alone...how do you not play Lehner? I don't care about back to back games...no one is going anywhere lol they have to ride an elevator down lol

EDIT: #spoketoosoon haha what a save!!

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

We are...but not with Cassidy...I bet you Ritchie is in the line tomorrow...the Bruins don't seem to be upset by it...shrug...lol

holy crap.

i just looked at the Bruins TOI stats for this last game... Ritchie has more TOI than 3 other forwards EVEN WITH his 12 min of PIM.  woof.

i will also note that NR is one of only 3 players with a penalty in that game, and the other two (D men) only have one each.

so... they must really hate their 4th line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Fisix said:

vegas comes out strong in the third...

Vegas gets 3 goals out of 8SOG in the 3rd.  whelp....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...