The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
GiAnTFAN-ad1

Pers & Cogliano in Final

He's a bit like a Ryan Miller for them, at his current price.  I think they'd want him, and I think he'd probably stay.... if the next season was normal.  If the next season is prorated salary... I could see Perry retire (just like Getz).

2 hours ago, GiAnTFAN-ad1 said:

Happy for Perry and Cogliano to get to Cup Finals.  Any thoughts if Dallas wins that Perry retires?  

Oops...forgot about Khudobin!

Super stoked to see all 3 of them in the finals!! so excited for Cogs and Khudobin getting their first taste...and it's gonna be exciting seeing Perry there again! :) 

I think Perry retires if they win. He seems to have lost his hands and his legs got worse...and they weren't great to begin with haha he still has his toughness and perseverance and passion and hockey IQ and can still get under the opponents skin...he's still effective, maybe 50% of the time, which aint bad considering he isn't the player he used to be! Dallas is using him well. 2nd PP time is great. Get him in front of the goalie. I bet he's great in the locker room, too. Did you see how excited he was when they scored in OT?? Brings me joy seeing that Perry scream face.

But anyway, I digress. I think Perry retires if they win, yeah.

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

He's a bit like a Ryan Miller for them, at his current price.  I think they'd want him, and I think he'd probably stay.... if the next season was normal.  If the next season is prorated salary... I could see Perry retire (just like Getz).

I don't see any possible way that next season is normal.  The league should be starting Training Camps this week.  Instead they're still finishing the Conference Finals.  They still have to work the scheduling for next season around the virus.  They will probably nix all the inter-conference games as a start, and almost certainly cut the season length.  Perhaps they'll shoot for something around 60 games, but again, that's dependent upon the virus situation.

Putting fans in the seats is even less certain.  At some point they might be allowed to let some fans attend in person, but probably not full rows and rows of people, so again, limited attendance, and proper spacing between each set of fans.  Hopefully the outbreak won't still be so bad that they have to consider bubbles again, but that very well could happen as well.  They'll have to see how spread and testing is going once they're getting ready to make their plans.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

5 minutes ago, Fisix said:

season definitely won't be normal, but more wondering about salary.

Yeah, another issue that will have to be negotiated between the players union and the owners.  It was an easier proposition this year, since teams and players had incentive to hold playoffs and award the Cup.  Otherwise it was a completely wasted 19-20 season.  The NHL is not like Football, Baseball or even Basketball, in that it doesn't really have a lucrative TV contract.  And I'm sure that contract is heavily sided towards playoff matches and their televising.

So how could teams be able to pay players their full salaries, when those salaries were based on a full season's revenue, and also fans in attendance, which is 100% uncertain.  And if it does happen, will be significantly limited for a period of time.  Hockey won't have the same demand as football, where the NFL can get plenty of revenue from regular season TV deal with several major networks.

So many uncertainties, but I'm extremely glad they were able to make the Canada bubbles work with no problems.  They executed the resumption well, and now we'll get to see an actual Cup Finals.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah, another issue that will have to be negotiated between the players union and the owners.  It was an easier proposition this year, since teams and players had incentive to hold playoffs and award the Cup.  Otherwise it was a completely wasted 19-20 season.  The NHL is not like Football, Baseball or even Basketball, in that it doesn't really have a lucrative TV contract.  And I'm sure that contract is heavily sided towards playoff matches and their televising.

So how could teams be able to pay players their full salaries, when those salaries were based on a full season's revenue, and also fans in attendance, which is 100% uncertain.  And if it does happen, will be significantly limited for a period of time.  Hockey won't have the same demand as football, where the NFL can get plenty of revenue from regular season TV deal with several major networks.

So many uncertainties, but I'm extremely glad they were able to make the Canada bubbles work with no problems.  They executed the resumption well, and now we'll get to see an actual Cup Finals.

I'm pretty sure the NHL and NHLPA have already agreed to a flat cap of $81.5M for the next 2 seasons. However this is likely based on a full season so I wonder if this changes if they can't play a full 82 games.

They might just call it $81.5M but lower the cap and player contracts by the same percentage as the percentage of games lost.

Horray for the Dallas Corey Perrys!

I have been cheering them on but Perry is largely useless these days. He has drawn a few penalties and plants himself in front of the net on their second PP but that's about it. He's only playing about 10 minutes per game. I don't know if Dallas would even want to bring him back. 

They will play next season. Might be abbreviated (60 games), but I can't see the season cancelled resulting in zero revenue. Once the # of games the season will consist of is decided, I'm sure the players union would agree to a prorated salary based on that #. Arena crowds will probably be limited to 25% of capacity. That seems to be the consensus right now.

No way Getz retires. He would forfeit his salary, and I don't see that happening. Perry is another story as he's only on a 1 year contract.

6 hours ago, dukitup said:

They will play next season. Might be abbreviated (60 games), but I can't see the season cancelled resulting in zero revenue. Once the # of games the season will consist of is decided, I'm sure the players union would agree to a prorated salary based on that #. Arena crowds will probably be limited to 25% of capacity. That seems to be the consensus right now.

No way Getz retires. He would forfeit his salary, and I don't see that happening. Perry is another story as he's only on a 1 year contract.

his salary next year is supposedly only $3M - the rest has already been prepaid over the course of the contract - i think that was a hedge against a player strike.

point - he might give up $1.5M (or less), especially when you consider he's selling his CA house, just to play a half season on a team that's lucky to get into the post season.

Edited by Fisix

14 hours ago, Fisix said:

his salary next year is supposedly only $3M - the rest has already been prepaid over the course of the contract - i think that was a hedge against a player strike.

point - he might give up $1.5M (or less), especially when you consider he's selling his CA house, just to play a half season on a team that's lucky to get into the post season.

You may be right, but I'm not seeing it. He loves playing the game, and if anything I see him going the Joe Thornton route and signing one or two year contracts while he's still an effective player. He's already stated multiple times he wants to finish his career with the Ducks. I think the club would want him to mentor Zegras, and continue to mentor Streel, etc. Heck, unless he wants to move back to Canada, I think he has a job after his playing career with the Ducks organization. From what I understand, Teemu still has his home on the market too, and its been listed a couple of years now at least. Listing his home isn't a sign he wants out imo.

Edited by dukitup

Nice playoff for Cogs, Pers and Khudobin.  I think Khudobin would have been Conn Smythe winner if Dallas would have won!  Great playoff for these former Ducks!

Now when will the season begin?  I'm thinking maybe 48 games.