The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sign in to follow this  
JustaDucksFan

Should we bring back Corey Perry??

Just a random thought here. What about trying to sign Corey Perry on a 1 year incentive laden contract. He would add some grit, and can mentor some of the younger players. Put him on a 4th line, see how he does, and see how it works out. ..... Any thoughts?

Which current forward do you want to bench to make room for him?

If Murray were to bring Perry back he should be fired on the spot.

Edited by dukitup
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Which current forward do you want to bench to make room for him?

If Murray were to bring Perry back he should be fired on the spot.

Bench/trade Rowney and move Terry into the middle where he belongs. With Terry not showing much as a RW and Sherwood completely MIA, our RW depth unfortunately does not look like its as much of a strength as many of us thought it would be a year ago, especially since they insist on keeping Rakell on the LW. Maybe Heinan can play on that side, but if not the Ducks need another decent RW IMO.

48 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Even if this were a good idea (and I don't think it is - I'll explain below), there is no way Murray does this.  He might as well just quit on the spot.  I understand the sunk cost fallacy, and I'm sure the Samuelis do as well, but they'd throw it out the window if Murray wound up re-signing Perry after they bought him out and made their cap situation more complicated than it needs to be.  He's not going to bring Perry back on a new contract while old Perry money is still on the books.

As for why it's not a good idea:

• Perry isn't very good any more
  • The skills he brings to the table (good on the power play, grit), even while arguably being skills the Ducks could use, are lipstick on a pig for this team.  They need someone who brings a lot more to the table to actually improve.
  • They already have one washed up old man (Backes) taking up minutes in the lineup.

It was nice to see Perry score some Perry-esque goals in the postseason, but he still wasn't all that good.  9 points in 27 games (and 21 in 57 for the regular season) is okay for a third liner, but the Ducks have kids who can do that and who might actually use the time to get better.  

Despite the above about our poor RW depth, gorb's post nails it. Backes is probably about as useful to this group of underachievers as Perry is, and at least Backes provides some defensive utility and can slide into the middle as a bottom-6 pivot if needed. Not sure this team needs a 100-foot forward for their bottom-6 at this stage.

See you at the jersey retirement, Pears!

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

Backes was actually pretty good for us, looking at his advanced statistics. 

As for Perry, I wouldn’t hate it, but he probably wants to win, I would rather keep the spot for a kid to hopefully earn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bench/trade Rowney and move Terry into the middle where he belongs. With Terry not showing much as a RW and Sherwood completely MIA, our RW depth unfortunately does not look like its as much of a strength as many of us thought it would be a year ago, especially since they insist on keeping Rakell on the LW. Maybe Heinan can play on that side, but if not the Ducks need another decent RW IMO.

No argument from me. I would rather let Heinan play an entire season at RW than bring Perry back.

8 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Perry  oh my you cant be serious........

? You do realise it's February 2021 right? The off season has long past...

13 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

? You do realise it's February 2021 right? The off season has long past...

Ya I knew but seeing this post again reminded me on how many players Vodka Bob has over paid.  Made me throw up in my mouth.

3 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Ya I knew but seeing this post again reminded me on how many players Vodka Bob has over paid.  Made me throw up in my mouth.

He was 2 years removed from a 50 goal season and Hart Trophy season. Bob had to pay him a high salary or he would likely would have been looking elsewhere. And Ducks fans would have been angry at the time had that happened. I can guarantee this ducks community would have be irate had Bob let Perry walk at the time. The writing was on the wall when hockey shifted to pure speed game around 2015. Perry never adapted to the modern game. Bob should have predicted what made perry great in the 2007-2013 era of hockey wouldnt work out in the future  (I know I did). Shouldve traded him when he still had value... should've done it after 2016/2017 season. 

• Like 2