The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike-1

Gudbranson Traded to Ottawa

For a fifth rounder

It doesnt make a ton if since other than to shed some salary. I think this means Manson is going no where. Why trade both big RD....Toronto is supposedly actively trying to move Nylander. Mason seemed to be the key piece in those rumors. But with Gudbranson on the move, I think that rumor dies. 

I really like Gudbranson. I think he played well with Fowler.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

For a fifth rounder

It doesnt make a ton if since other than to shed some salary. I think this means Manson is going no where. Why trade both big RD....Toronto is supposedly actively trying to move Nylander. Mason seemed to be the key piece in those rumors. But with Gudbranson on the move, I think that rumor dies. 

I really like Gudbranson. I think he played well with Fowler.

Well, Murray got more than what he paid for him, so that’s good. Not sure if this means the Ducks are looking at Shattenkirk, Barrie or something else when free agency starts tomorrow.

or Vatanen!!!

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

Wow....a #3 overall going for a 2021 5th-rounder....that's...insane. I liked him, too!! Is this move of things to come? Does this free up money we COULD use to trade Manson for Nylander? Or Lindholm for Nylander? Seems like an odd move to me. And a sad one at that. Sorry to see you go! Especially for a 5th rounder...

• Like 2

If this means we’re using that money to replace him with a better player, then good. Otherwise, I’d rather keep him and then get a better return at the trade deadline. He was decent for us. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 2

Uh oh, someone take the sharp objects away from dts...

I won't pretend I liked Gudbranson - he's pretty much a 3rd pairing/7th d-man.  He'll kill some penalties and play decent positional hockey in the d-zone, but is terrible with the puck on his stick or anywhere in the offensive zone.  And the cap hit of $4 million for that guy is ridiculous (although the cash is only $3 million).

All of that said, he's one of the very few who worked well with Fowler.  He freed up Fowler to have his best season in a long time by being reliably on the right side of the puck and taking the tough defensive assignments in front of the net.  Fowler seemed comfortable playing with him in a way he's never been with Manson. 

So I don't know what to think of this.  In a vacuum, it's fine.  The Ducks aren't going anywhere next year, so why pay for a guy who's not going to be a part of the next good Ducks team?  But I also don't think this is great asset management.  Gudbranson was fine as a Fowler protector and he wasn't THAT expensive.  At worst, he helps the team get a high draft pick next season, which is probably going to happen anyway.  The 5th round pick barely qualifies as a lottery ticket.  If, as I assume, this is a prelude to signing one of the good free agent RHDs to a long-term deal, why not trade Manson instead?  Manson is also probably not going to be a part of the next good Ducks team, he's a bit more expensive, and he can actually fetch something in return.

If this ISN'T a prelude to signing a RHD free agent and this is a straight salary dump, well, whatever.  Our owners are cheap and it's in the middle of a pandemic.  I'm not going to be heartbroken over it.

If this is a prelude to signing Cody Ceci, please grab your torch and your pitchfork and follow me to Bob Murray's house.  Gudbranson is like Ray Bourque compared to Cody Ceci.

Edited by gorbachav5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

hate to see him go given what we currently have on this hockey team......looking forward to the end of the Bob Murray regime.

• Like 1

Don't want any pitchforks hurled my way.  Not that I necessarily want it, but why not bring Drysdale up? Fowler came up at 18 from the draft. Now I know BB may not have helped his development, but Eakins is not BB. If I understand correctly, Drysdale has to report back to the OHL next season. He's not eligible to play for the Gulls. What does he have to prove by playing there for another season? Why not bring him up?  It's not like we're gonna challenge for a playoff position. 

I've read the Ducks might make a play for Vats. 

2 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Don't want any pitchforks hurled my way.  Not that I necessarily want it, but why not bring Drysdale up? Fowler came up at 18 from the draft. Now I know BB may not have helped his development, but Eakins is not BB. If I understand correctly, Drysdale has to report back to the OHL next season. He's not eligible to play for the Gulls. What does he have to prove by playing there for another season? Why not bring him up?  It's not like we're gonna challenge for a playoff position. 

I've read the Ducks might make a play for Vats. 

This would make me put down the sharp objects. Otherwise, I dislike this move. Sure, let's keep 8 LWs and 12 LHDs but get rid of the only RHD that was worth a crap last season. Fowler had one of his best seasons with Guddy last season too. Thumbs down on this one, Bob.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

This would make me put down the sharp objects. Otherwise, I dislike this move. Sure, let's keep 8 LWs and 12 LHDs but get rid of the only RHD that was worth a crap last season. Fowler had one of his best seasons with Guddy last season too. Thumbs down on this one, Bob.

My biggest worry is who plays with Fowler now. Poor dude has had the worst D partners of all time, maybe second to Morgan Reilly. 
But signing Barrie, Vatanen, Duclair, maybe Wennberg 

or acquiring Deangelo would make me feel better 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

But signing Barrie, Vatanen, Duclair, maybe Wennberg 

or acquiring Deangelo would make me feel better 

I get the sesne something like this would be happening....otherwise why make this seemingly useless trade the day before UFAs become available? it's gotta be for a signing...and for someone to play with Fowler (hopefully).

51 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I get the sesne something like this would be happening....otherwise why make this seemingly useless trade the day before UFAs become available? it's gotta be for a signing...and for someone to play with Fowler (hopefully).

It's useful in that it saves money.  Whether the Ducks will apply that money to another player, who knows?  I would guess they're going to try.  But they're not going to compete for anything this season, so Gudbranson doesn't really do much to help.  Maybe they're going to give a bunch of their LHD a shot at RD and see if any of them can handle it.  I'm all for letting them try it; the whole "you have to have a right-hander to play RD" is a fairly recent phenomenon.  

But my guess (and my hope, for entertainment's sake) is that they sign someone to play RD, like Sami.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I dislike this move. Sure, let's keep 8 LWs and 12 LHDs but get rid of the only RHD that was worth a crap last season. Fowler had one of his best seasons with Guddy last season too. Thumbs down on this one, Bob.

yeah, this sucks.  i liked him, i liked his play, i liked how the team played with him on it, and i liked what he did for Cam when he was on the ice.

more than that, i fear whatever we get in the room he's opened up won't make us more of a solid team on which to train up the youngers.  this move feel erratic, and not at a good time.  i'm having visions of a bunch of rookies swarming over the ice each shift and not getting anything good done while another team works a solid play and scores.... again, and again.

i should say it - if they're going to shift Gbud, does this mean they're going to shift Cam too?  with the lack of pairing support the team has shown for Cam over the past 5+ years, if i was Cam right now, i'd be piddleed.  Vats doesn't make much sense unless there's a ton of retained salary.

ah, well, the simplest answer is that Gbud is the easiest way to shift $4M right now, so he and out D-lines took the hit.  i guess now we see what horror show BM has committed us to.  i dearly hope it isn't for fraking Nylander.  i do NOT have a good feeling about that kid, not on our team as it stands right now.  

16 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It's useful in that it saves money.  Whether the Ducks will apply that money to another player, who knows?  I would guess they're going to try.  But they're not going to compete for anything this season, so Gudbranson doesn't really do much to help.  Maybe they're going to give a bunch of their LHD a shot at RD and see if any of them can handle it.  I'm all for letting them try it; the whole "you have to have a right-hander to play RD" is a fairly recent phenomenon.  

But my guess (and my hope, for entertainment's sake) is that they sign someone to play RD, like Sami.

this is just a rehashed version of players being commodities, which i just don't think is accurate.  Cam clearly needs a certain type of player for us to get the most value out of him, and it looks like GBud gave us a multiplier gain and not just an incremental not-as-bad-as-Bieksa minor offset.  especially considering how long its taken to find that magic, it's a lot to throw away when the half season next year is going to be pretty cheap in terms of salary (though coupled with abysmal income, i would guess).

This is surprise never though Ducks would trade Gudbranson...Though he would turn out well for our team...best of Luck in Ottawa Erik. His Time was short but it left me to Wonder...IS our Ducks freeing up Cap Space for big Signing or a Trade.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Djoos can play the right side. But this HAS to be about Bob making a run at an RHD who can power play. He’s been talking about for long enough and has also tried at least twice (Faulk, Shattenkirk) to bring one in recently. He’s going hard for one tomorrow. My guess is Barrie, with a trade for DeAngelo in the queue in case no UFAs want to come here.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Djoos can play the right side. But this HAS to be about Bob making a run at an RHD who can power play. He’s been talking about for long enough and has also tried at least twice (Faulk, Shattenkirk) to bring one in recently. He’s going hard for one tomorrow. My guess is Barrie, with a trade for DeAngelo in the queue in case no UFAs want to come here.

Yeah, it seems like Murray is going to target a RHD PP QB. It's his white whale. If it's a multi-year deal through free agency then it may complicate the expansion draft. Maybe Murray goes the 8 skater route at that point if he has four defensemen that he wants to protect. He's still got a flock of LHD that he needs to address.

To be honest, I would be fine with Murray letting Djoos, Mahura, Curran and Hakanpaa battle it out for jobs next year. I mean, Vegas is one of the best teams in the league and they rolled with 5 LHD to the WCF.

"Don't want any pitchforks hurled my way.  Not that I necessarily want it, but why not bring Drysdale up? Fowler came up at 18 from the draft. Now I know BB may not have helped his development, but Eakins is not BB. If I understand correctly, Drysdale has to report back to the OHL next season. He's not eligible to play for the Gulls. What does he have to prove by playing there for another season? Why not bring him up?  It's not like we're gonna challenge for a playoff position."

I'll ask again, as nobody answered my above question (I mentioned Vats and the conversation went there). I respect your opinions on this. 

32 minutes ago, dukitup said:

"Don't want any pitchforks hurled my way.  Not that I necessarily want it, but why not bring Drysdale up? Fowler came up at 18 from the draft. Now I know BB may not have helped his development, but Eakins is not BB. If I understand correctly, Drysdale has to report back to the OHL next season. He's not eligible to play for the Gulls. What does he have to prove by playing there for another season? Why not bring him up?  It's not like we're gonna challenge for a playoff position."

I'll ask again, as nobody answered my above question (I mentioned Vats and the conversation went there). I respect your opinions on this. 

Because there is no reason to rush him up to the Ducks. He’s listed at 5’11, 170 lbs. He needs to develop his body along with his game. Plus, defensemen very rarely jump to the NHL right after being drafted. Makar, Hughes and Heiskanen didn’t do it and we can only wish that Drysdale reaches their level.

Drysdale playing juniors again, developing more, playing in the WJC for Canada is the best route for him to go, imo. He can’t go to San Diego for two more seasons (until after his junior year is over at least), so the earliest he could possibly make the Ducks is after this season and bypassing the AHL. If he is good enough to do that then we should all be doing cartwheels down Katella.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Several reasons come to mind that I think are potentially valid.  Every kid is different, so I don't know about Drysdale specifically, but I imagine these have something to do with it:

• Defensemen usually take longer than forwards to develop.  Drysdale hasn't been playing against men in one of the European leagues, so he still has a lot to learn.  Of all of the praise that's been heaped on Drysdale, I haven't heard anyone say he has the polish of a Lucas Raymond who is ready to step in right away.  It seems he still has some development ahead of him, which is totally expected.
  • He needs to build some strength physically, which will come with time.  He's only 5'11, so he doesn't have the ready-made NHL body.  At least Fowler was 6'2 and had some decent size.
  • The Ducks don't NEED him.  They're going to be mediocre at best next year.  There's no reason to rush him.  In fact, you worry about stunting his development if he's thrown into a bad situation early in his career.  I wonder if Fowler was hurt somewhat by that.
  • As a corollary to the above, there's no reason to start his contract early.

The only reason I could see for keeping him up is if the Ducks are worried about the uncertainty of the pandemic screwing up the junior season.  But it looks like the Canadian junior teams will probably be better off than the NHL due to the lack of international travel.  In which case, that's another reason to keep him down.

• Like 3

Bombay and gorb nailed it. But #1 for me is the contract. Why burn a year off his ELC for a shortened season that may turn out to be another giant dud? Give him his 9 games, let him hang around the team and practice for a while, and then send him down to work on developing his body and fixing any holes in his game.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hoxxey said:

The ducks need more defensemen...

They can reinvent the game.  5 defensemen and goalkeeper.  Awesome.

Ducks will sign some D-men and backup to strengthen Depth of our team. It won't be surprise it's in their M.O we know too well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, hoxxey said:

The ducks need more defensemen...

They can reinvent the game.  5 defensemen and goalkeeper.  Awesome.

:lmao:

LIke all player movement ceased for the season after Gub was traded.

17 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bombay and gorb nailed it. But #1 for me is the contract. Why burn a year off his ELC for a shortened season that may turn out to be another giant dud? Give him his 9 games, let him hang around the team and practice for a while, and then send him down to work on developing his body and fixing any holes in his game.

and if we played him too much, wouldn't he be eligible for the ED?

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

and if we played him too much, wouldn't he be eligible for the ED?

Something like that...But Gotta check on the rules for 21 ED for the Calamari.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck