The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

NHL-NHLPA Agree to 56-Game Season

WE HAVE A SEASON! NHL-NHLPA Tentatively Agree to 56-Game Season
1f86a767ea3a93b7e1c5d6159010cd79?s=46&d=

Published 2 hours ago on December 18, 2020

The final details may be sketchy and even the location of the Canadian teams may be a work in progress, but the NHL and NHLPA have reached an agreement on a 56-game 2020-21 NHL season, according to multiple reports from Sportsnet and TSN, which are the NHL’s Canadian rights holders.

The NHL season, of course, is pending approval by the NHLPA and the NHL Board of Governors.

The sides have been wrangling for weeks in an attempt to figure out the logistics of a season, which both satisfied owners need to create sufficient revenues and the players’ desire to remain with their families.

Additional Updates: The Penguins will play in the Atlantic Division with most of the Metro Division, minus Carolina and Columbus. Boston and Buffalo will take their place. Of course, this is pending the confirmation of the all-Canadian division. Per Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the playoff format will take the top four teams from each division. No wild cards.

As of writing, further details have not been released, including the fate of the all-Canadian division. On Friday afternoon, a team source apprised the Hockey Now network of one Canadian team owner who informed his staff that a temporary bubble for Canadian teams was possible.

However, a high-level NHL source told the Hockey Now network Friday evening, teams will play in their home buildings, but did not provide additional details.

“Yes,” was the simple response to the primary question if teams will play at home. Our source did not address the Canadian situation, other than to express confidence it will be resolved.

The only firm detail as of Friday evening is a 56-game schedule. The NHLPA scheduled an 8 p.m. conference call to update members and approve the agreement. The NHL Board of Governors is expected to do the same this weekend.

Various dates have been published over the past three weeks regarding a start date, but training camps for non-playoff teams could begin as soon as Dec. 29. Training camps for the 24 teams which participated in the postseason could open on Jan. 3.

However, those dates are unconfirmed.

As one of the new revenue streams to alleviate the heavy losses from a lack of fans being allowed to attend games will be ads on players’ helmets. The two sides are also expected to agree to that soon, according to the Sports Business Journal.

As part of the ads on helmet deal, teams could sell separate ads for home and away games.

The NHL also unveiled reverse retro jerseys last month

The initial negotiations were strained as the NHL and NHLPA fought over economics. The NHL owners wanted to reconfigure the CBA agreement which the two sides signed in May. Owers wanted a greater escrow and salary deferral, but the NHLPA held firm.

The owners dropped their demands and the season planning began about three weeks ago.

For now, the good news is–We have a 2020-21 NHL season! Details TBD.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/2020-21-nhl-season-nhlpa-tentatively-agree-56-game-season/

The National Hockey League and its players reached a tentative deal on Friday to hold a 56-game season in 2021 beginning Jan. 13, pending the approval of each side's executive board and Canadian health officials.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the sides have an agreement, pending the approval of various executive boards.

The NHL Players' Association's board is meeting Friday night to discuss it, while the league's board of governors could vote on the plan as soon as this weekend. Approval from health officials in the five Canadian provinces that have teams is still needed before the NHL can go ahead with the season.

Training camps for the seven teams who did not participate in last season's playoff bubbles would open Dec. 31, and camps would commence Jan. 3 for the other 24 teams. It's unclear whether teams would play in their home arenas or in "hub" cities, though an all-divisional schedule is expected.

Exhibition games aren't expected to be included in the lead-up to the new campaign. Sportsnet in Canada first reported the tentative agreement.

The NHL, like the NBA, finished its previous season in a quarantined bubble -- two of them, one each in Toronto and Edmonton, Alberta. Commissioner Gary Bettman awarded the Stanley Cup to the Tampa Bay Lightning in late September in Edmonton, after they defeated the Dallas Stars. The league ran a qualifying round in those cities before the Eastern and Western conference playoffs began.

Owners and players agreed to a long-term extension of the collective bargaining agreement before the 2019-20 season resumed, setting the table for financial ramifications of the pandemic. They agreed recently to stick to that deal, which includes players deferring 10% of salaries, a cap on money they pay into escrow and a flat, $81.5 million salary cap.

The NHL follows the NBA in moving toward another regular season. The basketball season is scheduled to open Tuesday.

One hurdle remaining is where the seven Canada-based teams will play. The original plan was to put them in the same division, though tougher pandemic restrictions north of the border put that into limbo this week.

"The resumption of sports events in Canada must be undertaken in adherence to Canada's measures to mitigate the importation and spread of COVID-19," the Public Health Agency of Canada said in a statement Thursday night. "NHL teams and other professional sports must operate within the rules of their provincial jurisdictions for sports or sporting events."

Major League Baseball's Toronto Blue Jays played last season in Buffalo, New York, and the NBA's Toronto Raptors have relocated to Tampa, Florida, because of government prohibitions. The NHL so far has one American team that might need a new home: the San Jose Sharks, who play in California's Santa Clara County with a temporary ban on professional and collegiate team sports that has affected the NFL's San Francisco 49ers.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30548553/nhl-players-association-reach-tentative-deal-56-game-season-begin-jan-13

11 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:
WE HAVE A SEASON! NHL-NHLPA Tentatively Agree to 56-Game Season
1f86a767ea3a93b7e1c5d6159010cd79?s=46&d=

Published 2 hours ago on December 18, 2020

The final details may be sketchy and even the location of the Canadian teams may be a work in progress, but the NHL and NHLPA have reached an agreement on a 56-game 2020-21 NHL season, according to multiple reports from Sportsnet and TSN, which are the NHL’s Canadian rights holders.

The NHL season, of course, is pending approval by the NHLPA and the NHL Board of Governors.

The sides have been wrangling for weeks in an attempt to figure out the logistics of a season, which both satisfied owners need to create sufficient revenues and the players’ desire to remain with their families.

Additional Updates: The Penguins will play in the Atlantic Division with most of the Metro Division, minus Carolina and Columbus. Boston and Buffalo will take their place. Of course, this is pending the confirmation of the all-Canadian division. Per Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, the playoff format will take the top four teams from each division. No wild cards.

As of writing, further details have not been released, including the fate of the all-Canadian division. On Friday afternoon, a team source apprised the Hockey Now network of one Canadian team owner who informed his staff that a temporary bubble for Canadian teams was possible.

However, a high-level NHL source told the Hockey Now network Friday evening, teams will play in their home buildings, but did not provide additional details.

“Yes,” was the simple response to the primary question if teams will play at home. Our source did not address the Canadian situation, other than to express confidence it will be resolved.

The only firm detail as of Friday evening is a 56-game schedule. The NHLPA scheduled an 8 p.m. conference call to update members and approve the agreement. The NHL Board of Governors is expected to do the same this weekend.

Various dates have been published over the past three weeks regarding a start date, but training camps for non-playoff teams could begin as soon as Dec. 29. Training camps for the 24 teams which participated in the postseason could open on Jan. 3.

However, those dates are unconfirmed.

As one of the new revenue streams to alleviate the heavy losses from a lack of fans being allowed to attend games will be ads on players’ helmets. The two sides are also expected to agree to that soon, according to the Sports Business Journal.

As part of the ads on helmet deal, teams could sell separate ads for home and away games.

The NHL also unveiled reverse retro jerseys last month

The initial negotiations were strained as the NHL and NHLPA fought over economics. The NHL owners wanted to reconfigure the CBA agreement which the two sides signed in May. Owers wanted a greater escrow and salary deferral, but the NHLPA held firm.

The owners dropped their demands and the season planning began about three weeks ago.

For now, the good news is–We have a 2020-21 NHL season! Details TBD.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/2020-21-nhl-season-nhlpa-tentatively-agree-56-game-season/

YES YES YES YES YES.....LET'S GO UNLEASHED the Ducks upon the Hockey World and Sports...WOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The original plan was to allow the 7 non playoff teams to start training camp 7 days earlier. Now, that's been reduced to 4 or 5 days (Dec. 29/30-Jan 2) with two of the days being December 31 and January 1.  Seems ridiculous to me. 

• Like 2

Why ads on the helmets. If the stands are empty why not out big banners over the seats for more revenue. This isn’t the Euro leagues. Their jerseys and pads are hideous.

Edited by ike-1

45 minutes ago, ike-1 said:

Why ads on the helmets. If the stands are empty why not out big banners over the seats for more revenue. This isn’t the Euro leagues. Their jerseys and pads are hideous.

It would look weird but we won't know till agreement has been reached on what Season will look like.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, ike-1 said:

I don't mind so much the ads on helmets This season.

What I DO Mind is that the story above links to another article which indicates the helmet ads may be a Permanent thing.  The League intends to monetize the helmets beyond the upcoming season.  I doubt it will result in lower ticket prices, and is simply another way for the Owners to make money.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

3 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

What I DO Mind is that the story above links to another article which indicates the helmet ads may be a Permanent thing.  The League intends to monetize the helmets beyond the upcoming season.  I doubt it will result in lower ticket prices, and is simply another way for the Owners to make money.

I do Mind the Ads on Helmets it's Stupid and Downright Silly...you heard it's STUPID.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

I do Mind the Ads on Helmets it's Stupid and Downright Silly...you heard it's STUPID.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I hope you all understand tv timeouts are pretty much the invention of north american pro sports for more ad revenue. There is no tv timeout outside of north american leagues. so i find it interesting that we gripe about helmets having advertisement , and are content to have 6 minutes of forced timeout per period  bc we're all just used to it. i personally enjoy games without tv timeouts and fluid play. 

9 hours ago, gilligoos said:

I hope you all understand tv timeouts are pretty much the invention of north american pro sports for more ad revenue. There is no tv timeout outside of north american leagues. so i find it interesting that we gripe about helmets having advertisement , and are content to have 6 minutes of forced timeout per period  bc we're all just used to it. i personally enjoy games without tv timeouts and fluid play. 

It's easier to digest tv timeouts 'cause they are separated from the action. Even those weird NBC icing commercials weren't too hard to get used to. As dumb as they were.

Having said that, I also enjoy the games without the tv timeouts. It's my 2nd favorite thing about playoff OT!

IT'S OFFICAL THE COUNTDOWN IS ON...OUR DUCKS WILL BE UNLEASHED...READY,WILLING AND ABLE...It's been TOO LONG. We need Sports to give us Hope,Joy and imho UNITY....Together and UNITED our DUCKS and DUCKS FANS WILL PREVAIL. Even though it will be 3rd Short Season Ducks will be in.....COUNTDOWN FOR THE DUCKS 28th season BEGINS NOW.......DUCKS MANIA IS RUNNING WILD WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.🤪.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 12/19/2020 at 2:09 PM, HockeyIzCool said:

There's no way they give that revenue back even with fans in the stands. Helmet ads will be permanent.

I'm not too concerned about that, so long as they never put them on the jerseys. I will never buy a new jersey that has ads on it.

Does Henry S have any connections to get the entire team and support staff the vaccine soonish?  We're going to have a hard enough time in the division without losing players to the virus or contact tracing

But on the other hand, Yay, hockey is back 

25 minutes ago, AyeEye said:

Does Henry S have any connections to get the entire team and support staff the vaccine soonish?  We're going to have a hard enough time in the division without losing players to the virus or contact tracing

But on the other hand, Yay, hockey is back 

I thought I read somewhere the NHL was looking at purchasing a TON of vaccines...not sure where I stand on how ethical that is...I think I'm OK with it. More people getting vaccinated is good. As long as it's not getting in the way of teachers and healthcare workers.

Then the players could have a "V" on their jersey in addition to the C or A meaning they had the vaccine, to promote people getting the vaccine

Raise you hand if you are happy Hockey is back....I am too...and I am very Happy Ducks Hockey will return to the Ponda...however whatever season will look we must wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

20 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

And the schedule is out!! Baseball style!! Gonna be an interesting season haha

I love it....and LOVE the Fact Anaheim Ducks will face LA 5 TIMES....Ready for our team to give LA a Beatdown and DESTROY THEM...t-MINUS 21 Days till Ducks are UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

52 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

I love it....and LOVE the Fact Anaheim Ducks will face LA 5 TIMES....Ready for our team to give LA a Beatdown and DESTROY THEM...t-MINUS 21 Days till Ducks are UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 times....IN A ROW!!! :D 

37 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

5 times....IN A ROW!!! :D 

Better then nothing...IMAGINE THE DUCKS give LA a beatdown...Strike them with intense FURY and Reclaim honor THAT WILL BE COOL.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

22 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ducks re-sign Miller to a one-year deal, so that helps solve the back-up goalie issue for this year. Still need to sign another goalie through next season for the expansion draft.

Ducks are going to have trio of Goalies ready to contribute........btw T-MINUS 20 Days till our Ducks are UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

So quiet in here! What does our roster look like? 

I imagine Ducks Roster for 28th Edition of our team for this short season will Look something like THIS:

Forwards:

1.Comtois-Getzlaf-Rakell

2.Terry-Henrique-Silfverberg

3.Heinen-Grant-Rowney

4.Jones-Backes-Deslaurier/Milano

Defence Corps

1.Fowler-Shattenkirk

2.Lindholm-Manson

3.Larsson-Hakannpaa/Curran

Goaltending

1.John Gibson

2.Ryan Miller

3.Stolraz.

These are my lineup keep in mind this is just Rough Version have not put up my final version yet.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Of course the Blues add Hoffman for the one year that they are in the Ducks division. Also, the Senators are making moves to improve their roster with Stepan and Paquette to go along with Dadanov. At least Arizona appears to be plummeting to the league basement to join us!

21 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Of course the Blues add Hoffman for the one year that they are in the Ducks division. Also, the Senators are making moves to improve their roster with Stepan and Paquette to go along with Dadanov. At least Arizona appears to be plummeting to the league basement to join us!

Well our Ducks doing nothing standing Pat is their...M.O we are famliar with and should know well.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

can't wait to the 14th of january... but I am happy that its a short season, why the Ducks are in every Power Ranking last or second last in the west....

heard I right, that Murray said the retool is done? thats bad... I hoped we trade away some other players to not lose one good player to Seattle...

59 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

can't wait to the 14th of january... but I am happy that its a short season, why the Ducks are in every Power Ranking last or second last in the west....

heard I right, that Murray said the retool is done? thats bad... I hoped we trade away some other players to not lose one good player to Seattle...

I do think we have some players on a short leash this season...each off season he seems to get more and more angry about players not stepping up...I think this coming season/off-season he's gonna finally come to fruition with his threats. Like his threats of saying someone needs to step up or else

13 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I do think we have some players on a short leash this season...each off season he seems to get more and more angry about players not stepping up...I think this coming season/off-season he's gonna finally come to fruition with his threats. Like his threats of saying someone needs to step up or else

Well we will see Bob get Angry....Patience is thin as with us all....imho Ducks as I say need to hit the ground running and Dominate the NHL West Divison ASAP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Well we will see Bob get Angry....Patience is thin as with us all....imho Ducks as I say need to hit the ground running and Dominate the NHL West Divison ASAP.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Hopefully wont get angry at Lindholm....some very big words coming from Shattenkirk:

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-shattenkirk-likens-lindholm-to-hedman/c-319930736

(which is something 'cause I believe he came to the Ducks 'cause he liked/is friends with Fowler lol)

Edited by Jasoaks