The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

NHL-NHLPA Agree to 56-Game Season

14 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

According to Frank Seravelli

If major junior hockey does not start up again and NHL/CHL allow it, junior-aged players WILL be eligible to play in the AHL this season. Must have been 18 years old by Sept. 15.

So, Drysdale, Perreault and Tracey may get some early pro action this season if their seasons junior leagues are still delayed. 

That’s pretty cool. Kind of a bummer that the AHL season starts in early February though. Would be nice to watch the kids and our ducks squad at the same time 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If major junior hockey does not start up again and NHL/CHL allow it, junior-aged players WILL be eligible to play in the AHL this season. Must have been 18 years old by Sept. 15.

So, Drysdale, Perreault and Tracey may get some early pro action this season if their seasons junior leagues are still delayed. 

That would be good for some OHL kids. Their league banned checking if they were going to play, because somehow that’ll stop COVID-19, which is pretty much a waste of time for player development.

54 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If true, I wonder if they will (a) burn a year from their ELC by doing so, and/or (b) count against the 50-contract limit. If it does burn a year off the ELC, that's an interesting cost-benefit analysis the team will have to do for guys who are clearly a long way from being ready for regular NHL duty. For the 50-contract limit, per Capfriendly it looks like the Ducks currently have 51 players under contract, but several of those don't count against the limit since players 18 & 19 who are assigned to the CHL and haven't played 11 NHL games don't count. But if they are now allowed to play in the AHL, will the NHL will make them count against the limit? If so, that would leave GMBM with no room to bring in more players (such as if he wants to weaponize cap space) and he'd have to pick which guy(s) would be left at home.

51 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

If true, I wonder if they will (a) burn a year from their ELC by doing so, and/or (b) count against the 50-contract limit. If it does burn a year off the ELC, that's an interesting cost-benefit analysis the team will have to do for guys who are clearly a long way from being ready for regular NHL duty. For the 50-contract limit, per Capfriendly it looks like the Ducks currently have 51 players under contract, but several of those don't count against the limit since players 18 & 19 who are assigned to the CHL and haven't played 11 NHL games don't count. But if they are now allowed to play in the AHL, will the NHL will make them count against the limit? If so, that would leave GMBM with no room to bring in more players (such as if he wants to weaponize cap space) and he'd have to pick which guy(s) would be left at home.

Hopefully it will not burn a year of their contracts, otherwise some teams will just not play these guys. The NHLPA wouldn't be for that, surely.

Well with WJHC concluded...Now it's time for our DUCKS TO BE UNLEASHED and ready to Return to the World....T-MINUS 8 DAYS till Ducks Bring their WRATH upon the Hockey World.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

17 hours ago, nieder said:

Hopefully it will not burn a year of their contracts, otherwise some teams will just not play these guys. The NHLPA wouldn't be for that, surely.

I don’t see how it wouldn’t burn a year since I assume they’d be getting paid according to the terms of their contract. Unless they play for free, which seems unlikely. I was also under the impression that the NHLPA is not in favor of the ELC slide because it reduces a player’s earnings, and that it is a concession they make to the owners. Do I have that wrong?

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don’t see how it wouldn’t burn a year since I assume they’d be getting paid according to the terms of their contract. Unless they play for free, which seems unlikely. I was also under the impression that the NHLPA is not in favor of the ELC slide because it reduces a player’s earnings, and that it is a concession they make to the owners. Do I have that wrong?

I’m pretty sure that they would get paid their AHL salaries for games played there. Also, I don’t think that AHL games count towards burning a year off their ELC contract, only NHL games do. Drysdale and Tracey could be happy because they can make some money when they otherwise would be in juniors.

5 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’m pretty sure that they would get paid their AHL salaries for games played there. Also, I don’t think that AHL games count towards burning a year off their ELC contract, only NHL games do. Drysdale and Tracey could be happy because they can make some money when they otherwise would be in juniors.

Ah, I was thinking that any pro games were an issue, but it looks like they were able to slide Lindholm's contract in 2012-13 when he played the whole season in Norfolk, so I think you have that right. Cool! Thanks.

I'm still wondering about the 50 contract limit though. Any ideas there?

Edited by dtsdlaw

25 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ah, I was thinking that any pro games were an issue, but it looks like they were able to slide Lindholm's contract in 2012-13 when he played the whole season in Norfolk, so I think you have that right. Cool! Thanks.

I'm still wondering about the 50 contract limit though. Any ideas there?

I did a little digging and it looks like the 50 contract limit should not prevent Drysdale, Zegras or Tracey from being allowed to play in either the AHL or NHL. There are three other conditions, that if met, a players contract would not count towards the limit: 1) the player is 18 or 19 years old; 2) is playing in juniors or overseas pro league; 3) they have not played 11 NHL games in the current season.

Drysdale, Tracey as well as Perreault satisfy all three conditions, so their contracts would not count but Zegras' contract would since he's coming from college. The Ducks have 51 players currently under contract, so subtract their contracts and they have 48/50.

Note: Stolarz signed a two-year extension so we officially don't have to worry about Gibson being a Kraken.

I did a little digging and it looks like the 50 contract limit should not prevent Drysdale, Zegras or Tracey from being allowed to play in either the AHL or NHL. There are three other conditions, that if met, a players contract would not count towards the limit: 1) the player is 18 or 19 years old; 2) is playing in juniors or overseas pro league; 3) they have not played 11 NHL games in the current season.

Drysdale, Tracey as well as Perreault satisfy all three conditions, so their contracts would not count but Zegras' contract would since he's coming from college. The Ducks have 51 players currently under contract, so subtract their contracts and they have 48/50.

Note: Stolarz signed a two-year extension so we officially don't have to worry about Gibson being a Kraken.

If they play in the AHL, doesn’t #2 pose an issue?

On 1/6/2021 at 8:05 PM, dtsdlaw said:

If they play in the AHL, doesn’t #2 pose an issue?

I'm not completely sure. I've tried looking for more clarifying information about the AHL but can't really find anything. My reading of it is that I'd be surprised if Drysdale, Tracey and Perreault would count towards the contract limit even if they played in AHL. I think that the conditions refer to the status of the contract (ELC) and who you are loaned out to. In their case it would be their junior teams. I'd be really surprised if they suddenly count towards the contract limit by playing in AHL games given everything else. I am also struggling trying to find a recent example.

We need a cap and contracts expert on these boards!

On 1/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Looks like it...I mean....There is no way Ducks are going to have well other 30 NHL Teams is going to let their prospects wait around till junior season starts...Just give them taste of Pro Hockey Life will be Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Looks like it...I mean....There is no way Ducks are going to have well other 30 NHL Teams is going to let their prospects wait around till junior season starts...Just give them taste of Pro Hockey Life will be Good.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

There's also a marketing aspect to having Z play in the NHL (at least in the beginning). Even though I'm sure it's a low priority...but right now he has the eyes of the entire hockey world as he was the star during a tournament when no other hockey was being playing in North America. The PR for having him be at camp and then playing the first month of games or whatever I'm sure would bring more eyes to the Ducks.

I mean it's gonna be news whenever he joins the line-up, but to fully maximize it for PR reasons, now would be the time to have him in.

Again, I don't think this is a high priority for getting Z in...just another element.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

There's also a marketing aspect to having Z play in the NHL (at least in the beginning). Even though I'm sure it's a low priority...but right now he has the eyes of the entire hockey world as he was the star during a tournament when no other hockey was being playing in North America. The PR for having him be at camp and then playing the first month of games or whatever I'm sure would bring more eyes to the Ducks.

I mean it's gonna be news whenever he joins the line-up, but to fully maximize it for PR reasons, now would be the time to have him in.

Again, I don't think this is a high priority for getting Z in...just another element.

Good Point but it won't hurt for the Ducks to Highlight reel Z-man...The kid was wiz at WJHC.

DucikPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Ducks put several players on waivers, most notably, Djoos. 

Also, Guhle out for 6 weeks with an MCL injury. So, great start to the season. It sucks because I want to see him compete and really validate the Montour trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ducks put several players on waivers, most notably, Djoos. 

Also, Guhle out for 6 weeks with an MCL injury. So, great start to the season. It sucks because I want to see him compete and really validate the Montour trade.

oh wow...really?? Djoos??? wow.....I mean....i dunno, I thought he had some potential....also upset with the Guhle thing too...especially after seeing his brother in the WJC...wonder if that fired him up to play stronger.

20 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

oh wow...really?? Djoos??? wow.....I mean....i dunno, I thought he had some potential....also upset with the Guhle thing too...especially after seeing his brother in the WJC...wonder if that fired him up to play stronger.

It seems like it’s salary cap maneuvering for when they put Kesler on LTIR. Odds are Djoos clears. He also makes more than any other player on waivers besides Backes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It seems like it’s salary cap maneuvering for when they put Kesler on LTIR. Odds are Djoos clears. He also makes more than any other player on waivers besides Backes.

This happens at the start of the season, every team will dump a bunch of guys through waivers that they would prefer not to lose. 99% of them will clear. There aren't usually a lot of waiver claims at this time of the season. I think before last season there were like 2 waiver claims and there were probably like 200 guys sent through waivers.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nieder said:

This happens at the start of the season, every team will dump a bunch of guys through waivers that they would prefer not to lose. 99% of them will clear. There aren't usually a lot of waiver claims at this time of the season. I think before last season there were like 2 waiver claims and there were probably like 200 guys sent through waivers.

100% this. GMBM is also probably doing this early because all of the 2020 bubble teams have only been in camp for a few days so he is more likely to sneak them through waivers now. 

I also don't think we can read as much into the waivers choices due to the new taxi squad rules. My guess is that GMBM is going to avoid putting Kesler on LTIR to start the season by carrying an active roster of only 20-21 players, and then having a taxi squad stacked with reserves who have already gone through waivers (or don't need waivers like Jones/Comtois) and who won't then count against the cap. The salary cap shenanigans are going to be next level this season with these taxi squads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

notice:

That really Sucks...I was hoping he would be ready to show he was worth Ducks Trading Montour.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Also, I forgot about Curran who makes the same 1M per as Djoos but doesn’t require waivers. So, why not send him down in a paper transaction instead of losing Djoos? Maybe Djoos was pretty bad in camp? Anyone have an explanation lol?

Well, I was wrong about Djoos likely clearing waivers. He was claimed by Detroit. So, we now have nothing from the Marcus Pettersson trade lol. Great work, Bob.

Well F me.

That Pettersson trade was bad at the time and looks even worse now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't know but that seems really, really dumb.  Djoos played well, why waive him if there were other options?  I assumed he was the best of a bunch of bad options since we had to get some guys off the roster.  But if there were others who could have been safely waived, that makes no sense.  I, too, would love an explanation.

Occum's Razor: Bob Murray isn't good at asset management, unless you are an opposing NHL team. If you could waive Curran (who has no NHL experience and more certain to clear) it really makes no sense unless. The only thing that I can think of is that Murray wants or needs to shed some money and that Djoos was his best chance of being claimed and saving $1 million, which is still stupid and short-sided.

6 minutes ago, nieder said:

Well F me.

That Pettersson trade was bad at the time and looks even worse now.

Just another example of why I don't want Murray as GM and constructing this roster.

Really???? We just lost Djoos? Ugh....come on....especially after Guhle was injured.

I too would like an explanation. 

14 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well, I was wrong about Djoos likely clearing waivers. He was claimed by Detroit. So, we now have nothing from the Marcus Pettersson trade lol. Great work, Bob.

*&^^%#.

Josh Ho-Sang on waivers. Please claim him Stoolbob. I'd much rather see someone with his skill level attempt to figure things out at a professional level this season over a single second of David Backes doing Backass things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, Jasoaks said:

I do think we have some players on a short leash this season...each off season he seems to get more and more angry about players not stepping up...I think this coming season/off-season he's gonna finally come to fruition with his threats. Like his threats of saying someone needs to step up or else

With so many Young Players within Ducks Rank and File I mean much as I disagree with Bob. I can't blame him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

It starts tonight! There's already drama brewing. Draisaitl is out here claiming the Oilers are still the best team in Canada and it's hilarious cause it's like bragging about getting a C+ on a final exam. Watch all 4 guaranteed Canadian playoff teams get wiped out in the first round.

• Like 1