Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
HockeyIzCool

NHL-NHLPA Agree to 56-Game Season

Recommended Posts

We have a ton of 3rd pairing LHD.  But here's where this went:

- We traded a season and a half (plus three years of control) of a 3rd pairing d-man making the league minimum who was playing at the level of a 2nd pairing d-man

- We got for that two-thirds of a season of a scoring forward who did put up some goals but couldn't stay in the lineup because he's not aware that the defensive zone exists.

- We then cut bait on that guy to get nine games (plus a year of control) of a 3rd pairing d-man making nearly the league minimum who was playing (albeit briefly) at the level of a 2nd pairing d-man.  At this point you can say that Bob Murray tried something that the team arguably needed (trading a D-prospect for scoring), the experiment didn't work out, and we got back what we originally gave up, except the guy was older with less upside and control.  That's not good, but, hey, maybe we give Murray credit for the attempt.

- Murray then loses that guy for nothing.

 Yes, Pettersson is now getting paid $4 million a season, so he's no longer cheap.  But given how he played for Pittsburgh the prior two seasons, the BEST you can say about this is that Murray either a) sold way low on a guy and managed the return assets poorly or b) was never going to get more than that for Pettersson because the player development staff and coaches he's hired weren't going to help Pettersson to play at that level.  Those are the BEST things you can say about Murray regarding this deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Ho-Sang on waivers. Please claim him Stoolbob. I'd much rather see someone with his skill level attempt to figure things out at a professional level this season over a single second of David Backes doing Backass things.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, Jasoaks said:

I do think we have some players on a short leash this season...each off season he seems to get more and more angry about players not stepping up...I think this coming season/off-season he's gonna finally come to fruition with his threats. Like his threats of saying someone needs to step up or else

With so many Young Players within Ducks Rank and File I mean much as I disagree with Bob. I can't blame him.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It starts tonight! There's already drama brewing. Draisaitl is out here claiming the Oilers are still the best team in Canada and it's hilarious cause it's like bragging about getting a C+ on a final exam. Watch all 4 guaranteed Canadian playoff teams get wiped out in the first round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Kiefer Sherwood has earned a spot on Colorado's taxi squad. Good for him. I hope he gets a chance to play some games for them after being completely buried in San Diego last season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PetrSykora said:

It starts tonight! There's already drama brewing. Draisaitl is out here claiming the Oilers are still the best team in Canada and it's hilarious cause it's like bragging about getting a C+ on a final exam. Watch all 4 guaranteed Canadian playoff teams get wiped out in the first round.

Unfortunately with the 2021 playoff structure, one of those C+ teams will make it to the final four.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

It starts tonight! There's already drama brewing. Draisaitl is out here claiming the Oilers are still the best team in Canada and it's hilarious cause it's like bragging about getting a C+ on a final exam. Watch all 4 guaranteed Canadian playoff teams get wiped out in the first round.

haha woo!!

honestly...i think Vancouver comes out on top in the North...and in my own prediction...I don't have Edmonton getting in lol....i might be biased.... :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gilligoos said:

Unfortunately with the 2021 playoff structure, one of those C+ teams will make it to the final four.

Oof, I must have misread that part when looking up the playoff format. No wonder Canadians are so excited for this season.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh man....watching that Habs/Leafs game....that line of Anderson/Suzuki/Drouin is looking goooooooooooooood. I know we were talking a bit about Suzuki during the playoffs...but man...he's just picking up right where he left off!

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they really should make the first month of games free viewing online with interstitial ads to pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

Ohhh man....watching that Habs/Leafs game....that line of Anderson/Suzuki/Drouin is looking goooooooooooooood. I know we were talking a bit about Suzuki during the playoffs...but man...he's just picking up right where he left off!

It looks like he has bulked up more since the summer too. Suzuki is gonna be good for them for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nieder said:

It looks like he has bulked up more since the summer too. Suzuki is gonna be good for them for a long time.

ohhh yeah. that trade is just looking better and better for the Habs. Man, same with the Weber trade if you ask me. AND already the Domi/Anderson one is looking great...but that's still just one game haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Islanders came to play! 3-0 already! Also, Lafreniere not having a great game so far lol...i mean, it's rookie mistakes so it's understandable, but his very first shift was pretty nice, even though it didn't result in anything. Anyway, it's still early obviously haha

Also, Hall already scored for Buffalo...so interesting to see how that goes for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I haven't been watching the CBJ games...but looks like Del Zotto has 3 assists so far in 3 games...

Obviously TOO early to tell....but....think he joins the ranks of underperforming D in the Ducks system flourishing with their next team???

(not including Montour or Vats as I wouldn't say they "underperformed" with us and it's obviously unfair to really say a developing player like Shea underperformed...and was not a player BM wanted to just give up...but...I think you guys get where I'm going here lol)

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibby the third star of the week. Stopping 95 of 99 shots in 3 games. 2-0-1 , 1.33 GAA, .960 SV%, and 1 shutout. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably unpopular opinion, but I kinda like the two game series this season.  Would not mind seeing two game series  when we get back to 82 game seasons.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DT2008 said:

Probably unpopular opinion, but I kinda like the two game series this season.  Would not mind seeing two game series  when we get back to 82 game seasons.  

I'm totally down.  I like the series a lot.  They ramp up the tension and increase the importance of good coaching.

Wait...maybe not, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm totally down.  I like the series a lot.  They ramp up the tension and increase the importance of good coaching.

Wait...maybe not, then.

haha!...yep....

I kinda like it, too! Now, I know a lot would disagree with me here...but I wonder if this kind of regular season would have favored RC more...especially when we get later into the season and there are 4 or 5 games in a row with the same team. It's basically like the playoffs! but with different implications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

haha!...yep....

I kinda like it, too! Now, I know a lot would disagree with me here...but I wonder if this kind of regular season would have favored RC more...especially when we get later into the season and there are 4 or 5 games in a row with the same team. It's basically like the playoffs! but with different implications. 

not sure, but nothing would favor him now with all the newer coaches/systems and play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

haha!...yep....

I kinda like it, too! Now, I know a lot would disagree with me here...but I wonder if this kind of regular season would have favored RC more...especially when we get later into the season and there are 4 or 5 games in a row with the same team. It's basically like the playoffs! but with different implications. 

Carlyle was a decent playoff coach.  He was good at line matching and making small adjustments, plus his style just suited the playoffs.  Whereas Boudreau was a fantastic regular season coach but seemed to choke in the big moments.  So yeah, I could see series hockey being a favorable environment for Carlyle in a way.

That said, no thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fisix said:

not sure, but nothing would favor him now with all the newer coaches/systems and play.

completely agree there are way more downs than ups for him at this point. But it was just something I was thinking about...

12 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Carlyle was a decent playoff coach.  He was good at line matching and making small adjustments, plus his style just suited the playoffs.  Whereas Boudreau was a fantastic regular season coach but seemed to choke in the big moments.  So yeah, I could see series hockey being a favorable environment for Carlyle in a way.

That said, no thank you.

Yeah, exactly. Tha'ts what I was thinking...but agreed. No thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh geez.......Jim Rutherford just stepped down as Penguins GM.......

I can see all the Penguins fans being like "why wasn't this 5 months earlier!?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ritchie has 6 points in 6 games, because of course he does lol 

One more piece of evidence to add on the pile regarding Murray's inability to hire people who can develop offensively gifted players.  How many points does Theodore have now?  Ah yes, he's also at a point-per-game.

Meanwhile, we get excited when Sam Steel and Troy Terry complete two consecutive passes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

One more piece of evidence to add on the pile regarding Murray's inability to hire people who can develop offensively gifted players.  How many points does Theodore have now?  Ah yes, he's also at a point-per-game.

Meanwhile, we get excited when Sam Steel and Troy Terry complete two consecutive passes.

Ritchie still taking bad penalties though. The Bs were up 2-0 midway through the 3rd last night against Pittsburgh, and then Ritchie took a dumb tripping call and the Pens scored on the ensuing PP (well, just as Ritchie was exiting the box) and then added another to tie. Good ol' Nick Ritchie. Silky hands but rocks for brains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Ritchie still taking bad penalties though. The Bs were up 2-0 midway through the 3rd last night against Pittsburgh, and then Ritchie took a dumb tripping call and the Pens scored on the ensuing PP (well, just as Ritchie was exiting the box) and then added another to tie. Good ol' Nick Ritchie. Silky hands but rocks for brains.

Yeah, I don't regret getting rid of him; he was going nowhere here and the lump of partially digested spam he has in his skull got him into a ton of trouble.  That said, I would have been a lot more tolerant of the idiocy if he was putting up a point per game.  Scoring masks a lot of ills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flyers  are healthy scratching Konecny tonight. Must be nice to sit one of your best 3 players and still expect the win. Apparently his 5v5 play has been bad. Our team is a looooooonnng way from legitimacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...