The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
AyeEye

Not Even a Pretender, Ouch

1 hour ago, AyeEye said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-power-rankings-contenders-pretenders-190322152.html

We're in a tough division, but ouch.......

The Way I see...it's Test for the Ducks...TEST for our team and the Youth within the ranks. LET'S be Honest it will be a tough divison But I hope they will Prove the Sports pundits WRONG.......T-MINUS 2 Days till our Ducks are UNLEASHED.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

I don't think we will finish 30th. How they have us below Chicago when they have about 1/4 of their team on IR and Subban starting in net is beyond me.

But yeah, Anaheim wont be good.

I read that Derek Grant is going to be tried on the top power play unit...

...yeah, we probably won't be very good. :lol:

46 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I read that Derek Grant is going to be tried on the top power play unit...

...yeah, we probably won't be very good. :lol:

It’s a great way to shoot for a high draft pick while giving fans the Elite 1C that they want. Like the joker said “it’s all part of the plan!”

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Do mean "tried" in the legal sense?  Like for crimes against hockey?  Because that's the only way my brain can comprehend that sentence.

This almost made me spit out my drink. Well done, sir.

For real, Eric Stephens' Athletic article from 1/6 said that the top unit at practice was Grant-Rico-Rakell-Silf-Shatty and the 2nd unit was Getzlaf-Fowler-Steel-Heinan-(rotating 5th). So apparently that's how they're going to improve the league's worst PP.  

2 hours ago, nieder said:

I don't think we will finish 30th. How they have us below Chicago when they have about 1/4 of their team on IR and Subban starting in net is beyond me.

Ducks who knows....much can be said about but I will like all of should wait and see what they can do.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This almost made me spit out my drink. Well done, sir.

For real, Eric Stephens' Athletic article from 1/6 said that the top unit at practice was Grant-Rico-Rakell-Silf-Shatty and the 2nd unit was Getzlaf-Fowler-Steel-Heinan-(rotating 5th). So apparently that's how they're going to improve the league's worst PP.  

if that's not grounds for firing the assistant coach in charge of the special teams I don't know what is....although to be faaaaaiiiirr....I don't know what i'd do differently...but not that. I guess that's why I'm not an assistant coach in hockey lol

17 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

if that's not grounds for firing the assistant coach in charge of the special teams I don't know what is....although to be faaaaaiiiirr....I don't know what i'd do differently...but not that. I guess that's why I'm not an assistant coach in hockey lol

To be Faair

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, nieder said:

Yeah, they may not be that bad but are still in the ballpark. Best chance the Ducks have for a playoff spot is if enough teams in the West Division Presented by @Honda don't handle the Covid protocols properly.

Is there even a consensus #1 draft pick this year?  Our luck, we end up with the first pick in a meh year. 

Edited by DT2008

49 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, they may not be that bad but are still in the ballpark. Best chance the Ducks have for a playoff spot is if enough teams in the West Division Presented by @Honda don't handle the Covid protocols properly.

I think we could, realistically end up 5th (or maybe even 4th...) in the Honda West Division Presented by Honda and Sponsored by Honda. I think Minnesota is being overrated...Kings have more issues on the ice than we do...Arizona is gonna have problems the entire season...and San Jose has such weak goaltending and we'll see if Karlsson and Burns can save it...although doubtful I'd say. If the Ducks D go back to what they were 2 seasons ago, Gibson and Miller keep their normal pace, and one or 2 of the young guys finally take those big steps and Z crashes onto the scene...we're more formidable than I think people would really think.

It's A LOT of ifs, obviously, and unlikely. But we're gonna be on the bubble I think.

EDIT: oh frak, I forgot who our coaching staff is...nevermind...

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

Opening Day roster per Capfriendly:

Forwards: Getzlaf, Henrique, Rakell, Silfverberg, Heinan, Milano, Terry, Steel, Lundestrom, Grant, Deslauriers, Rowney

Defense: Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Shattenkirk, Hakanpaa, Larsson 

Goalies: Gibson, Miller

Taxi Squad: Comtois, Backes, Lettieri, Curran, Welinski, Stolarz

IR: Guhle, Jones, Kesler (not LTIR)

Some interesting choices there (i.e. Lundestrom and Lettieri). Can’t wait to see what the lines are.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Forwards: Getzlaf, Henrique, Rakell, Silfverberg, Heinan, Milano, Terry, Steel, Lundestrom, Grant, Deslauriers, Rowney

Some interesting choices there (i.e. Lundestrom and Lettieri). Can’t wait to see what the lines are.

It won't surprise IF our Ducks Go with this roster....as we speak tommorow.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

So that opening day roster is identical to the roster remaining on the Ducks website, however it is missing Zegras who is still listed as part of the team. I expect Grant was a place holder on the PP until Zegras arrived and with him still listed I fully expect he is on the opening day roster as well.

As for the division, it will be tough. Colorado, Vegas, St Louis should be 1-3 in some order. After that the 4th playoff spot is wide open and leaves Minnesota, LA, SJ, Ducks, and Arizona and one of those teams gets in.

Out of them I don't like San Jose, still older like last year and did nothing to improve. Goaltending is still an issue there.

Arizona is a joke. They should be last in the division.

Minnesota is overrated. Their goaltending is bad. Cam Talbot had that one good year with the Oilers. Other then that he has been average. 

That leaves the Ducks and Kings. I'm not sold on the Kings goalies. Quick has been declining in play lately. However if some of their decent prospects make the team and contribute they could fit for 4th.

As for the Ducks, goaltending is still a strength, though I don't know about Miller with his age. Gibson should bounce back and hopefully stay healthy. The defense I hope can bounce back to being solid. Ducks problems will be offense again, however they were starting to turn things around last year after the deadline with the acquisitions of Heinen and Milano. And if Zegras does step in and contributes then it might not be that big of an issue. Ducks can't rely on Henrique being their top scorer in goals and points though. Rakell needs to come back to his potential.

Should be an interesting year and with games all in the division the key point would be to win the majority of those games with Arizona, Minn, LA, and SJ. The 5 straight vs LA will be interesting and fun to watch.

PS - I saw an article on Sportsnet with predictions and a few of them had the Ducks as their surprise team of the year with Gibson in the Veizna talk.

Edited by saskduckfan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, saskduckfan said:

So that opening day roster is identical to the roster remaining on the Ducks website, however it is missing Zegras who is still listed as part of the team. I expect Grant was a place holder on the PP until Zegras arrived and with him still listed I fully expect he is on the opening day roster as well.

It was reported yesterday that Zegras has been sent down to the AHL. It is strange that he is still listed on the website though as they are usually pretty quick to update that.

Edited by nieder

7 minutes ago, nieder said:

It was reported yesterday that Zegras has been sent down to the AHL.

They would also need to create some cap space to recall him. As it stands, it looks like they’re using season opening injured reserve (SOIR) on Max Jones just to be cap compliant, even with an active roster of only 20 players. The Ducks are going to be walking a tight rope all season with the cap, so we’re not likely to see a lot of movement up from the minors. Maybe they’ll put Guhle on LTIR eventually to make a little space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

They would also need to create some cap space to recall him. As it stands, it looks like they’re using season opening injured reserve (SOIR) on Max Jones just to be cap compliant, even with an active roster of only 20 players. The Ducks are going to be walking a tight rope all season with the cap, so we’re not likely to see a lot of movement up from the minors. Maybe they’ll put Guhle on LTIR eventually to make a little space.

Kesler will go on LTIR from tomorrow though, right?

Edit: Or from the day after their first game? I am not sure exactly what the new rule is that the NHL is enforcing.

Edited by nieder

1 minute ago, nieder said:

Kesler will go on LTIR from tomorrow though, right?

Edit: Or from the day after their first game? I am not sure exactly what the new rule is that the NHL is enforcing.

There’s no reason to do that if they’re below the limit now. Plus, the goal would be to maximize the cap relief, so don’t do it unless/until they’re WAY over otherwise they get locked into only a small amount they can recapture in LTIR.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Comtois on the taxi squad? I didn’t expect him to start there, let alone with Lundestrom making the main group. Not a good opening sign when we need Comtois to take the next step in his game and get consistent minutes.

Jones hurt already also? Do we have the LA Chargers medical staff ir something??

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Comtois on the taxi squad? I didn’t expect him to start there, let alone with Lundestrom making the main group. Not a good opening sign when we need Comtois to take the next step in his game and get consistent minutes.

Jones hurt already also? Do we have the LA Chargers medical staff ir something??

Jones is looking more and more like Beleskey 2.0. Dude just can’t stay healthy. He also can’t hit the broad side of a barn with his shot.

I freely admit that I don’t understand or follow the cap that closely. However, when looking at the roster I simply don’t understand why we seem to be in cap h$ll. How are team a like Colorado, Boston, etc. able to stack players and we seem to be always hamstrung?   Do we see it changing anytime soon?   Is it that our vets are overpaid?  Are we still on the hook for too many non playing contracts?   Or most concerning, are we just not getting any production from the lower cost players?  I see names like Milano, Steel, Terry, Larson, etc. and wonder if have any hope for improvement over the next few years. 

11 minutes ago, DT2008 said:

I freely admit that I don’t understand or follow the cap that closely. However, when looking at the roster I simply don’t understand why we seem to be in cap h$ll. How are team a like Colorado, Boston, etc. able to stack players and we seem to be always hamstrung?   Do we see it changing anytime soon?   Is it that our vets are overpaid?  Are we still on the hook for too many non playing contracts?   Or most concerning, are we just not getting any production from the lower cost players?  I see names like Milano, Steel, Terry, Larson, etc. and wonder if have any hope for improvement over the next few years. 

Kesler’s cap hit is $6.75M. Perry’s buyout cap hit this season is $6.625M. Backes counts $3.425M against the cap even on the taxi squad. So there’s your cap hell right there. Much of that goes away next season though.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saskduckfan said:

As for the division, it will be tough. Colorado, Vegas, St Louis should be 1-3 in some order. After that the 4th playoff spot is wide open and leaves Minnesota, LA, SJ, Ducks, and Arizona and one of those teams gets in.

Out of them I don't like San Jose, still older like last year and did nothing to improve. Goaltending is still an issue there.

Arizona is a joke. They should be last in the division.

Minnesota is overrated. Their goaltending is bad. Cam Talbot had that one good year with the Oilers. Other then that he has been average. 

That leaves the Ducks and Kings. I'm not sold on the Kings goalies. Quick has been declining in play lately. However if some of their decent prospects make the team and contribute they could fit for 4th.

As for the Ducks, goaltending is still a strength, though I don't know about Miller with his age. Gibson should bounce back and hopefully stay healthy. The defense I hope can bounce back to being solid. Ducks problems will be offense again, however they were starting to turn things around last year after the deadline with the acquisitions of Heinen and Milano. And if Zegras does step in and contributes then it might not be that big of an issue. Ducks can't rely on Henrique being their top scorer in goals and points though. Rakell needs to come back to his potential.

Should be an interesting year and with games all in the division the key point would be to win the majority of those games with Arizona, Minn, LA, and SJ. The 5 straight vs LA will be interesting and fun to watch.

PS - I saw an article on Sportsnet with predictions and a few of them had the Ducks as their surprise team of the year with Gibson in the Veizna talk.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but whoever said that we are anywhere close to a playoff team is smoking crack. As for Vezina, you don’t win those unless your team and record stand out to the masses and media (popularity contest). We all know Gibson is Elite , but the team around him isn’t. Is there a link to the article ?

1. Vegas 2. Colorado 3. St. Louis 4. Minnesota 5. San Jose 6. Arizona 7. Anaheim 8. Kings. 

I think it's a mix of a few things. To start with the Ducks have $13.375 million committed on their cap in two players that no longer play, Kesler and Perry. As stated, that and Backes with 3.425M is your problems. $16.8M committed there to two players not playing here and 1 that might as well not be as well.

Next year though there is relief. As it stands right now the Ducks will have 30 contracts and a cap hit of $59.4M out of the 81.5 creating $22.05M in cap space next year. Also next year Getzlaf's 8.25M contract expires. He will likely resign with the team but for significantly less money. I would assume in the 4-5M range. Our RFA next year haven't shown enough for a significant raise, unless this year changes (Comtois, Jones, Steel, Lundestrom, and Heinen) so the Ducks should be sitting good after they resign them.

In comparison Colorado only has 16 contracts and 58.3M committed. They will be in a worse situation next year. And they only have $898000 in space this year.

Edited by saskduckfan
  • Like 1

What happened to Ben Hutton, they signed him to a PTO contract?

Hockey News has their power rankings out, Ducks are #30.  LOL

1 minute ago, dukitup said:

Guessing he didn’t work out? I haven’t seen any updates on his status anywhere. Hutton is by no means a stud, but I’d light a fire under Larsson with some competition . The kid seems to be on BM’s golden boy list for some reason.

12 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Still in quarantine? He’s Gulls bound I bet, with the possibility of a call up later perhaps.

30 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Kesler’s cap hit is $6.75M. Perry’s buyout cap hit this season is $6.625M. Backes counts $3.425M against the cap even on the taxi squad. So there’s your cap hell right there. Much of that goes away next season though.

Getzlaf is $8.25M and which will likely get closer to $5M next season assuming we re-sign him. Next season looks much brighter cap-wise.

14 minutes ago, dukitup said:

This is part of why I was assuming that Kesler will go on LTIR the day after our first game. Anaheim can add Hutton and others to the cap and use the LTIR relief - but like dts said they would want to maximise that right? So it would have to be more than just Hutton getting added to the roster.