The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
duck123

Lineups:

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Oh man, Bob trading for a Russian? Must be mainlining Smirnoff.

I think he's seen enough of Kaprizov.... and maybe wants another russian to join our only other russian prospect?lol

Edited by Jasoaks

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I think he's seen enough of Kaprizov.... and maybe wants another russian to join our only other russian prospect?lol

Maybe. Or Murray is mad at Comtois and wanted to trade his good friend out of spite lol. Going to be interesting to see Morand be a part of a competent organization.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Maybe. Or Murray is mad at Comtois and wanted to trade his good friend out of spite lol. Going to be interesting to see Morand be a part of a competent organization.

GALIMOV! that's his name lol

And yeah? I don't know much about Morand...but yeah I'm sure any time you're going TO a team like Tampa...probably feeling ok haha

And on the flip side.....sorry Volkov.... 😕 

10 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

GALIMOV! that's his name lol

And yeah? I don't know much about Morand...but yeah I'm sure any time you're going TO a team like Tampa...probably feeling ok haha

And on the flip side.....sorry Volkov.... 😕 

Watch Morand be an NHLer that can put in 15 goals a year. I just don’t know where Volkov is going to fit into the lineup.

It’s officially Trade SZN in Anaheim though.

20 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s for a conditional 7th round pick in 2023 and Antoine Morand. 

Set up move for something else? Volkov isn’t waivers exempt so they have to make space for him on the big club. I wonder if maybe Zegras now goes down to start learning how to be a pivot?

3 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Set up move for something else? Volkov isn’t waivers exempt so they have to make space for him on the big club. I wonder if maybe Zegras now goes down to start learning how to be a pivot?

That makes a lot of sense. Morand was a Center and Zegras going back down to take that role would be a good idea. They could send Steel back down just as easily though since he’s also waivers exempt.

Maybe he’s on the verge of trading Rakell lol

• Like 1

So basically traded a 7th round pick to move up 12 places in the 2017 draft.  At least Volkov has played in the NHL for a championship level team. 

22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That makes a lot of sense. Morand was a Center and Zegras going back down to take that role would be a good idea. They could send Steel back down just as easily though since he’s also waivers exempt.

With essentially 8 more games until the TDL, I’d like to see Zegras go down to work at center and then Heinen and Backes back in the lineup to try to pump their trade value. This trade does make me wonder if Heinen is about to be moved though.

• Like 1

I don’t mind the trade, but this is the only trade Murray seems capable off. Fringe NHLers for fringe NHLers. I hope Volkov would work out. I cherish our Russian Ducks. I just want to feel like Murray has won one of these trades. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

He's been part of a good Gulls team for two years and has scored 5 goals at 22 years old.  And he's still small.

At some point, a good GM cuts bait.  This is one of those small moves we should be applauding and encouraging more of.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I don’t mind the trade, but this is the only trade Murray seems capable off. Fringe NHLers for fringe NHLers.

Those are the trades that create long stretches of success.  Those are the hard trades.  Throwing money at a big name is fairly easy.

11 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Don't know why this hasn't happened already. Why keep him in the press box when he could be playing for the Gulls?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

He's been part of a good Gulls team for two years and has scored 5 goals at 22 years old.  And he's still small.

At some point, a good GM cuts bait.  This is one of those small moves we should be applauding and encouraging more of.

I think there’s a big difference between the Ducks and Lightning when it comes to forward development though. Sure, Morand is small but Tampa has a recent track record of such players like Brayden Point, Tyler Johnson and Yanni Gourde. That’s also why I’m interested to see how he does in Tampa.

I don’t mind the trade and hope that Volkov ends up a better player than Morand but I’m for Murray tearing down this roster and will applaud if he finally commits to rebuilding this team or gets fired.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Well, it's been a while since Murray has gotten value out of one of them: Heinen, Milano, Djoos, Guhle, Sprong, Aberg, Blandisi, Dotchin...Murray's track record on these trades is spotty.

Agreed. This looks like a good trade, in that we gave up a 3rd line AHL center and a 7th rounder for a 3rd line NHLer. But you have to wonder why Tampa, who is an elite team and is generally really good at developing forwards, would give up a roster player (earning the league minimum salary) for a 3rd line AHL center and a 7th. I think the expectation should be that this trade will have no impact on the Ducks long term, and anything better than that will be a pleasant surprise.

I think we’ll like Volkov. And Morand hasn’t figured it out. He was hard working though and I really wouldn’t be surprised if the Bolts turn him into something. I hope this trade pushes Grant, Deslaurier, out of the line up and not guys like Terry, Steel, Heinen (although he’s on COVID) right now 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I think we’ll like Volkov. And Morand hasn’t figured it out. He was hard working though and I really wouldn’t be surprised if the Bolts turn him into something. I hope this trade pushes Grant, Deslaurier, out of the line up and not guys like Terry, Steel, Heinen (although he’s on COVID) right now 

Agree, but this is wishful thinking. Grant and Deslauriers aren't likely to come out any time soon. I think it's more likely that either Steel and Heinen get even less playing time or Volkov takes Backes' place in the press box when/if GMBM finally trades Backes to a playoff team.

Edited by dtsdlaw

47 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree, but this is wishful thinking. Grant and Deslauriers aren't likely to come out any time soon. I think it's more likely that either Steel and Heinen get even less playing time or Volkov takes Backes' place in the press box when/if GMBM finally trades Backes to a playoff team.

I’m still at an utter loss about how bad this team is and how much the coach just refuses to ice the best version of the team. You’d think out of desperation or something he’d just throw it out there, but no. He consistently  scratches the most talented players for scrubs. 
Zegras - Henrique - Terry 

Comtois - Getzlaf - Rakell 

Volkov - Lundestrom - Silfverberg 

I think you can probably win more than 0 regulation games in a month with these lines 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

this, and the related posts.  i sort of hope this is what the plan is, and we don't all end up frustrated with all the extraneous talent sitting in the stands at game time.

Seems like we’ve just added another poor skating, limited offense, character guy.  Not sure how that really helps. 

1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

Seems like we’ve just added another poor skating, limited offense, character guy.  Not sure how that really helps. 

i don't think there's any indication this is a "character guy."  so i guess there's that!  :)

Maybe a little off topic but my thoughts.

Since I have a lot of family that grew up under Russian rule (Lithuania) I have a tendency to believe that many of these hockey players really want to have a better life here and are willing to play a little harder to achive it.

Edited by Arvydas Cieminis
missing letter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

Since I have a lot of family that grew up under Russian rule (Lithuania) I have a tendency to believe that many of these hockey players really want to have a better life here and are willing to play a little harder to achive it.

They also have usually come from very poor life and tend to be driven more by money than loyalty and jump at the highest paying gig they can get regardless. This seeems to be a larger trend with Russian players compared to most others. Unfortunately, this is the rap that is associated with them and makes some teams cautious.

6 hours ago, ike-1 said:

They also have usually come from very poor life and tend to be driven more by money than loyalty and jump at the highest paying gig they can get regardless. This seeems to be a larger trend with Russian players compared to most others. Unfortunately, this is the rap that is associated with them and makes some teams cautious.

Which is a trait that, let's be honest, is celebrated in any job other than sport. Nobody is going to blame you for leaving a company to take up a higher paying job.

19 hours ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

that would be awesome!

Sorry to bump an old thread but the gdt is closed and didn't want to start a new topic. Apparently Stolarz has actually broken the ducks record for most shots against for a shut out. Looks like it's possible we found our backup for next season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Sorry to bump an old thread but the gdt is closed and didn't want to start a new topic. Apparently Stolarz has actually broken the ducks record for most shots against for a shut out. Looks like it's possible we found our backup for next season. 

I think he's a lock for the backup spot next year unless they feel Dostal is NHL ready.

6 hours ago, nieder said:

I think he's a lock for the backup spot next year unless they feel Dostal is NHL ready.

he's eligible for the ED I think.  

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Doubtful that he'd get taken but would be great if they chose him. He probably satisfies the requirement for a goalie to be exposed though. 

12 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Yeah, maybe don’t play him too much down the stretch. He looks great and he’s incredibly cheap. Only $950K/season for the next two seasons.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nieder said:

Yeah, I think Stolarz is going to be the back up next year. Don’t think Dostal will be ready for back up duties since he hasn’t gotten any NHL games yet but should get a few starts. Heck, give him one or two this season.

47 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Dostal? He shouldn’t be eligible for the ED. He signed his ELC after the 2019 regular season ended so he’d only have two years experience after this current one. At least, I hope they don’t count a pro season before a player is under contract.