The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
gorbachav5

Eakins Calls Out Veterans...Already

It's a bad sign when the head coach is calling out players FOUR GAMES into a season after your team has had 10 months off.  Here's the quote from Eric Stephens' piece in the Athletic (subscription based, but worth it in my opinion):

“We’ve spoken about it now a couple of times,” he said. “I’d understand it if we had a super young team like we had last year. We’ve got guys in our locker room that have played in this league for a long time. They know how to start. They know the game’s got to be played. And this is not a league where you can come in and dip your toe in the water and see if it’s nice and warm. You got to jump two feet in whether it’s scalding hot or ice cold. You’ve got to just deal with it and get going.

“It’s got to end. This has to go right to our leadership group. Right to the players in the room. This is on them to get that going.

On the one hand, I'm all for accountability.  Silf and Henrique in particular have been garbage, and they got benched for most of the second period.  However, is this the right way to send the message?  Maybe it is.  Playing time is probably the best motivator a coach has that he has control over. 

But that leads to the more important question: why does your head coach feel the need to resort to strong-arm tactics to motivate guys this early in the season?  When you see this sort of a thing, it's usually during a slump in the middle of a season when the team is tired and has lost some confidence and is going through the motions.  You don't see it four games into a season.  Especially coming off a long offseason after a bad year, it shouldn't have taken much to get these guys fired up to play.  That doesn't mean they'll magically transform into great players, but at least the effort should be there.  Eakins seems to have already lost the room, which is a similar pattern to his stint in Edmonton, when he was fired 30 games into his second season there after losing the room.

I'm on record as being okay with the hire when it happened, but it's abundantly clear to me now that Eakins should not be an NHL head coach.  I don't even think he should be an AHL coach given his track record of being unable to develop individual players.  The Ducks are in a rebuild phase; as much as I want the team to win, they're not realistically going anywhere in the playoffs, so the losing record in and of itself isn't a huge issue.  But the player development is.  They've got several guys on the roster who should be part of the next good Ducks team, assuming they can reach their potential.  But they're stagnating.  How long can the Ducks afford to let that happen?  If the team continues to show lackluster effort, will Eakins get the boot?  Will Murray get the boot with him so a new GM can come in and make the head coaching hire?  If they make a move midseason, they're probably hiring a GM from within like Madden or Nonis (shudder).  That might not be the best, either.  

If the Ducks get blown out by the Avs twice and then show poor effort in Arizona, I could see this happening quickly.  I don't think it's likely, but it's at least a possibilty.  I just don't know if what comes afterward is going to be a good long-term solution for the organization.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It's a bad sign when the head coach is calling out players FOUR GAMES into a season after your team has had 10 months off.  Here's the quote from Eric Stephens' piece in the Athletic (subscription based, but worth it in my opinion):

On the one hand, I'm all for accountability.  Silf and Henrique in particular have been garbage, and they got benched for most of the second period.  However, is this the right way to send the message?  Maybe it is.  Playing time is probably the best motivator a coach has that he has control over. 

But that leads to the more important question: why does your head coach feel the need to resort to strong-arm tactics to motivate guys this early in the season?  When you see this sort of a thing, it's usually during a slump in the middle of a season when the team is tired and has lost some confidence and is going through the motions.  You don't see it four games into a season.  Especially coming off a long offseason after a bad year, it shouldn't have taken much to get these guys fired up to play.  That doesn't mean they'll magically transform into great players, but at least the effort should be there.  Eakins seems to have already lost the room, which is a similar pattern to his stint in Edmonton, when he was fired 30 games into his second season there after losing the room.

I'm on record as being okay with the hire when it happened, but it's abundantly clear to me now that Eakins should not be an NHL head coach.  I don't even think he should be an AHL coach given his track record of being unable to develop individual players.  The Ducks are in a rebuild phase; as much as I want the team to win, they're not realistically going anywhere in the playoffs, so the losing record in and of itself isn't a huge issue.  But the player development is.  They've got several guys on the roster who should be part of the next good Ducks team, assuming they can reach their potential.  But they're stagnating.  How long can the Ducks afford to let that happen?  If the team continues to show lackluster effort, will Eakins get the boot?  Will Murray get the boot with him so a new GM can come in and make the head coaching hire?  If they make a move midseason, they're probably hiring a GM from within like Madden or Nonis (shudder).  That might not be the best, either.  

If the Ducks get blown out by the Avs twice and then show poor effort in Arizona, I could see this happening quickly.  I don't think it's likely, but it's at least a possibilty.  I just don't know if what comes afterward is going to be a good long-term solution for the organization.  

The bolded is a part I fully agree with and that development is/should be the biggest concern of this team going forward. I see Murray shipping players out of town before thinking about firing Eakins because if he goes then Murray is following him out the door. This is actually the perfect season for the Ducks to train wreck since fan attendance is a non-issue right now. Then, I’d really hope that the Ducks do an external search for the next GM and HC.

it’s at least a nice change of pace to see the kid line play better than Henrique and Silfverberg!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Silf and Henrique in particular have been garbage, and they got benched for most of the second period.  However, is this the right way to send the message?  Maybe it is.  Playing time is probably the best motivator a coach has that he has control over.

But so it's an INCREDIBLY mixed message sent to them...unhappy with them so bench them most of the 2nd...don't see much improvement...so give them the most important minutes in the a one-goal game at the end of the 3rd?! And then go out and publicly call them out the next day???

Madden I think is for sure our next GM. But I completely agree with the other part of your post saying Eakins lost the room and needs to go and not be involved with our team at all. I agree, he should not be responsible for developing players.

26 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

it’s at least a nice change of pace to see the kid line play better than Henrique and Silfverberg!

It is! Comtois is actually looking really really good...I like seeing how he's coming along!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

But so it's an INCREDIBLY mixed message sent to them...unhappy with them so bench them most of the 2nd...don't see much improvement...so give them the most important minutes in the a one-goal game at the end of the 3rd?! And then go out and publicly call them out the next day???

Madden I think is for sure our next GM. But I completely agree with the other part of your post saying Eakins lost the room and needs to go and not be involved with our team at all. I agree, he should not be responsible for developing players.

It is! Comtois is actually looking really really good...I like seeing how he's coming along!

Mixed messaging is what the Ducks do lately and is why I’m confused as to what the plan is going forward lol.

IMO, Madden would be the front runner to replace Murray, which worries me in some degree because the Ducks should be going on a global search for the next GM and not someone who’s worked for years under the current GM that I want ousted. Would be the GM equivalent of a Eakins hire.

Comtois has been fine and looks better than the last time we saw him, so that’s a small positive. I think that Steel has been the best of the kids overall and has created some nice offensive chances.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

IF Things do not Change then Ducks may go a Trade route...Just Saying...Right now Things seem abit slow and there is NO EXCUSE for the Ducks on not stepping up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Watch the Ducks come out and destroy the Avs 8-0 somehow tomorrow........with Welinski leading the charge with a 5 pt night...

Just now, Jasoaks said:

Watch the Ducks come out and destroy the Avs 8-0 somehow tomorrow........with Welinski leading the charge with a 5 pt night...

I would love it.  But I think it's more likely MacKinnon scores 8 goals himself.  That guy is scary.

This is giving me January 2019 vibes. Only the major difference is how that team had to deal with Carlyle for months before tanking the season. This team hasn't gotten blown out by a combined score of 45-10 over a 10 game stretch or whatever insane number it was yet so at least there's that. Not a promising sign any way you look at it though.

The big question is whether or not Duck fans are ready for GMIHCBBM 2.0 :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, PetrSykora said:

This is giving me January 2019 vibes. Only the major difference is how that team had to deal with Carlyle for months before tanking the season. This team hasn't gotten blown out by a combined score of 45-10 over a 10 game stretch or whatever insane number it was yet so at least there's that. Not a promising sign any way you look at it though.

The big question is whether or not Duck fans are ready for GMIHCBBM 2.0 :ph34r:

Heard Babcock took a job as a panelist....wonder if we could pry him off haha

I'm not saying that there isn't a need for veterans to be accountable but your systems and strategies look dysfunctional. Breakouts out of your zone need to be constantly reset because 2-3 players are within 4 feet of each other, Players forcing shots where there is no lane. Dump/chip and chase where no one can get the puck. We are 4 games into a season, yikes...Yes, alot has to do with the players but it's way too soon to be calling players out, that's usually not the way to get buy-in to one's game plans. I'm not excusing the horrendous starts but he may need to look at himself, his game plan, line combos and practice techniques. 

Edited by DuxFan73
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Agree with everything here and would just add that I'm disappointed Eakins is talking about this in the media after just four games. This should have been a "no comment." I can't imagine any veteran player on this team thinks it's ok for a coach with a lifetime 66-98-24 record to be calling them out in the media four games into a new season.

• Like 1

As a follow up to my post above, Dubois was benched tonight for almost 45 minutes of game time and Tortorella’s statement to the media afterwards was “I’m not going to have a discussion with you guys about it.” 

I hope Eakins was paying attention.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

IF that Happens I will build Infinity Gautlet....j/k...Anyways I look for the Ducks Vet to step up.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Haha 1

If Eakins went into this season thinking the Ducks were going to miraculously become a playoff team after ten months of standing around then I'll have what he's smoking. As far as Rakell goes, his best season was in 2017 when he was the off wing to Getzlaf  and Perry. He scored so many goals because opponents still thought Perry was the threat and based on ten seasons of behavior they "knew" the pass was going to Perry thus leaving Rakell open. Now Rakell is on the "First" line and every opponent is going to put their best shutdown line on them. And it has only been 4 games. Two of those games were against a team that is a legit Cup contender. If I was Eakins I would be focused on fixing the blue line. But that's just me.

Edited by Shadowduck

I feel like I'm in that scene from Moneyball where all the old school scouts are talking about old school player feels instead of the stats that matter.

Eakins' comments mirror those of some of the player interviews that've already been posted this season.  This is a foreshortened season, so now or never, frankly.  The veterans HAVE been sucking, big time, under all metrics, and they have no excuse.  And, they're sucking individually, not at some grand game strategy level.  

If there's one thing that's really detrimental to player development in the Duck's org, it's that the players seem to think they run the show and have forced the firing of two head coaches three times, and they've been the last three head coaches in a row.  There's not supposed to be "losing the room" stuff going on unless there's some horrible behavior (like racism) that forces a player revolt.  That is not happening here.  They are players paid to play according to his system, and they aren't putting their heart into it, which is on them, not Eakins, not 4 games into a season, and not with these players.  

What I see are some players treating their job like an entitlement.  The hard truth is that because we're in a rebuild, the vets don't care if they get traded, because statistically almost every other team is going to have a better season than us.  Does it make any sense to motivate them by allowing them to dictate the game strategy instead of the head coach?  frak no.  Hit them where it hurts: how much they'll earn in the future when teams are unwilling to pay them big bucks because there's televised evidence that they don't show up or care when it matters the most.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Agree with everything here and would just add that I'm disappointed Eakins is talking about this in the media after just four games. This should have been a "no comment." I can't imagine any veteran player on this team thinks it's ok for a coach with a lifetime 66-98-24 record to be calling them out in the media four games into a new season.

not only all of this which I completely agree with...but also after 4 games and ZERO exhibition games. I get he wants to be like "look at me, I'm tough, gonna get on you guys even if it's unfair/unrealistic..." but these are professional mature men...if he hasn't lost the room, oh I wouldn't be surprised if he has now. He's really losing the fans.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like Sutter talking? He is still a consultant right? Last season Eakins was all about loosening tensions and having fun, not wearing a tie. Now he is wearing ties (from what I saw of him) and cracking the whip. What changed?

ive never been a fan of hiring coaches that didn’t have success in previous head coach roles. If you have a winning record or win a cup and just had/needed a change of scenery, then ya give them a shot. Or they are a good up and coming coach looking for a shot, sure. But if you were fired from an NHL team before AND you don’t have a good track record. Why are we giving them a shot. That’s just me. I’m not saying Eakins was going to pull a rabbit out of his hat, we all know our situation. But still I am not impressed. They/we are trying to be something we are not. Stop ‘trying to win’ and develop the young guys and give people oppurtunity.

Edited by ike-1

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Sounds like Sutter talking? He is still a consultant right? Last season Eakins was all about loosening tensions and having fun, not wearing a tie. Now he is wearing ties (from what I saw of him) and cracking the whip. What changed?

From what I've been reading Eakins wanted to be that way at first as he was just trying to get everyone together and lift their spirits. Not sure if it's from Sutter or not. If Eakins gets fired I have a feeling Sutter steps in which I don't think is gonna be any better.... from what I heard from people who worked with the Kings...there was some major locker room riffs with Sutter and Brown especially. Not that a riff with Brown is crazy, but he WAS the captain...

Any way, I don't think he knows how to develop players. Edmonton didn't trust him to develop McDavid and Draisitle... I do believe people are allowed to be given 2nd or more chances, but you have to know when you're done with giving them that chance. I was very skeptical on Eakins being hired, but I was willing to see how it went. ...it's not going well if you ask me haha

Maybe Vancouver will keep underperforming and Travis Green will become available. Or Tortz. Or maybe we just get Dubois haha

Edited by Jasoaks

We usually play 6 or 8 exhibition games. We're still in pre season mode imo. I know, I'm seeing leprechauns and unicorns all around. After 2 games against Colorado (groan) and Arizona, if the scoring woes are still an issue then I'm all for heaping doses of fire and brimstone.

27 minutes ago, dukitup said:

I'm all for heaping doses of fire and brimstone.

emphasis on the fire ;) 

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

As a follow up to my post above, Dubois was benched tonight for almost 45 minutes of game time and Tortorella’s statement to the media afterwards was “I’m not going to have a discussion with you guys about it.” 

I hope Eakins was paying attention.

This is just one of 792 reasons why Tortorella is Cup-winning (and possibly HoF) head coach and Eakins is...not.  Although Columbus can't be happy about that situation.  Dubois sitting on the bench for two periods because Tortorella doesn't want to play him isn't going to increase his trade value any.  Kekalainen either needs to fix that relationship or just pull Dubois out of the lineup until he's traded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

This is just one of 792 reasons why Tortorella is Cup-winning (and possibly HoF) head coach and Eakins is...not.  Although Columbus can't be happy about that situation.  Dubois sitting on the bench for two periods because Tortorella doesn't want to play him isn't going to increase his trade value any.  Kekalainen either needs to fix that relationship or just pull Dubois out of the lineup until he's traded.

Dubois is apparently on the ice for their optional skate this morning, so maybe the message has gotten through? There's also a short clip circulating on twitter of Dubois' last shift right before the benching, and yeah I'd have benched him too. I'm sure Dubois was embarrassed when he saw it himself. That shift alone probably decreased his trade value. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dubois is apparently on the ice for their optional skate this morning, so maybe the message has gotten through? There's also a short clip circulating on twitter of Dubois' last shift right before the benching, and yeah I'd have benched him too. I'm sure Dubois was embarrassed when he saw it himself. That shift alone probably decreased his trade value. 

LeBrun today mentioned Anaheim as still being in on Dubois.

32 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

LeBrun today mentioned Anaheim as still being in on Dubois.

They will be asking for Zegras and/or Drysdale which would be a hard pass from me and I hope Bob, too.

BUT, on the contrary, if it's something like rakell + larsson + 2021 1st rounder...that's a hard yes!...or really any of the steels or jones or terrys

• Like 2

I am glad, at least he is inquiring. Nothing is going to happen, but seems like someone had guts to tell him that our offence is a joke.

P.S: If I am opposing team manager, why would I even consider borderline NHL players like Terry, Jones or Steel? Rakell have been on Sabbatical since 2018. But, like I said, it never hurts to make an inquiry.

21 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

They will be asking for Zegras and/or Drysdale which would be a hard pass from me and I hope Bob, too.

BUT, on the contrary, if it's something like rakell + larsson + 2021 1st rounder...that's a hard yes!...or really any of the steels or jones or terrys

I will die on the hill of not given up this years or next years 1st round picks lol. If you can get Dubois for Rakell + Steel + mahura/Larsson or Henrique then by pull the trigger but I’d bet Jarmo doesn’t think twice about passing on that.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I agree that he deserved the benching.  That's unacceptable.  But if Tortorella can't get through to him, Jarmo needs to try, otherwise Dubois is just completely tanking his trade value every time he gets out there and looks like a puppy dog who lost his chew toy.  Although, to be honest, this gives the Ducks a realistic shot at landing him.  On the other hand, knowing Bob Murray, there was almost no chance he was going to pull this off before, and that's gone to zero now that he would be trading FOR a pouty youngster.  It's not going to happen.

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I will die on the hill of not given up this years or next years 1st round picks lol. If you can get Dubois for Rakell + Steel + mahura/Larsson or Henrique then by pull the trigger but I’d bet Jarmo doesn’t think twice about passing on that.

I agree about 2022 when the draft is slated to be really, really good.  But this coming draft has been rated as fairly pedestrian.  Dubois is most likely better than any player that comes out of it.  In that case, why not give it up?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I agree that he deserved the benching.  That's unacceptable.  But if Tortorella can't get through to him, Jarmo needs to try, otherwise Dubois is just completely tanking his trade value every time he gets out there and looks like a puppy dog who lost his chew toy.  Although, to be honest, this gives the Ducks a realistic shot at landing him.  On the other hand, knowing Bob Murray, there was almost no chance he was going to pull this off before, and that's gone to zero now that he would be trading FOR a pouty youngster.  It's not going to happen.

I agree about 2022 when the draft is slated to be really, really good.  But this coming draft has been rated as fairly pedestrian.  Dubois is most likely better than any player that comes out of it.  In that case, why not give it up?

Yeah, it’s weird that Bob would want to trade for a player trying to force his way out of town. I mean, didn’t he complain about Drouin trying to force his way out of Tampa a couple of years back?

Even if this draft isn’t as noticeably top heavy or headlined by a prospect, there is almost always 2-3 players drafted in the top-10 that go on to be core/star players. The Ducks are right on track to be drafting in that range again and I’d rather have that pick to bring up with Zegras/Drysdale etc.