The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
gorbachav5

Eakins Calls Out Veterans...Already

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

LeBrun today mentioned Anaheim as still being in on Dubois.

From Aaron Portzline in the Athletic:

In a quick canvas of NHL front offices on Friday, sources told The Athletic that Colorado, Los Angeles, Montreal, the New York Rangers and Winnipeg were seen as the most likely suitors for Dubois, with the Blue Jackets seeking a return of an NHL roster player, a top prospect and a high draft pick.

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it’s weird that Bob would want to trade for a player trying to force his way out of town. I mean, didn’t he complain about Drouin trying to force his way out of Tampa a couple of years back?

Even if this draft isn’t as noticeably top heavy or headlined by a prospect, there is almost always 2-3 players drafted in the top-10 that go on to be core/star players. The Ducks are right on track to be drafting in that range again and I’d rather have that pick to bring up with Zegras/Drysdale etc.

Dubois is a core/star player. Unless there's another McDavid in this coming draft, there should be no hesitancy in moving our 2021 1st for Dubois. Even if we have to overpay with extras. Henrique + Perreault + 1st = count me in.

1 minute ago, dtsdlaw said:

In a quick canvas of NHL front offices on Friday, sources told The Athletic that Colorado, Los Angeles, Montreal, the New York Rangers and Winnipeg were seen as the most likely suitors for Dubois, with the Blue Jackets seeking a return of an NHL roster player, a top prospect and a high draft pick.

lol, no fraking way.  that ONLY works if you have a team that would be perfect after inserting Dubois, and you already have a surplus roster player, top prospect, and high draft pick.  we have exactly one of those (surplus roster player(s)), and we do not have a team that would magically be perfect after inserting D. 

aside from my opinion on the matter, i think it'd be a cold day in hell when BM agrees to that kind of swap. 

9 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, it’s weird that Bob would want to trade for a player trying to force his way out of town. I mean, didn’t he complain about Drouin trying to force his way out of Tampa a couple of years back?

Even if this draft isn’t as noticeably top heavy or headlined by a prospect, there is almost always 2-3 players drafted in the top-10 that go on to be core/star players. The Ducks are right on track to be drafting in that range again and I’d rather have that pick to bring up with Zegras/Drysdale etc.

Normally I'd agree with you there, and I'm not interested in trading that pick for anyone other than a Dubois/Laine type.  But in a reportedly weak draft when there's a young stud available who, theoretically, could be on your team for the next five years?  If Zegras and Drysdale are fairly close to being ready, it gets the team into a contention just a bit earlier.  

In Dubois's case, I don't think it makes sense since the running theory is that he wants to be in a bigger market.  Anaheim doesn't really help there.  But I would be willing to move that pick for him or Laine if it was reasonable to think that either would be satisfied here.

On a larger point, while I don't think this year matters much due to the pandemic, the Ducks are going to need to hit the ground running next year or that building is going to be empty.  Realistically they need two more seasons until they start looking to get back into playoff contention.  But if they can make moves to speed up that timeline so they're looking to get into playoff contention next season, it would be a big deal for this market.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Winnipeg would be the most exciting to see....but LA has PLENTY of what they are looking for....I mean take your pick between Byfield, Turcotte, Kalyiev...I mean, realistically they were never gonna be able to keep all 3 when it comes to their next contracts...and having just 2 of those, plus Dubois is SCARY. Add in, I dunno...Anderson? Not sure what roster player...but also their 2021 1st....well, that doesn't hurt the Kings AT ALL

17 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Normally I'd agree with you there, and I'm not interested in trading that pick for anyone other than a Dubois/Laine type.  But in a reportedly weak draft when there's a young stud available who, theoretically, could be on your team for the next five years?  If Zegras and Drysdale are fairly close to being ready, it gets the team into a contention just a bit earlier.  

In Dubois's case, I don't think it makes sense since the running theory is that he wants to be in a bigger market.  Anaheim doesn't really help there.  But I would be willing to move that pick for him or Laine if it was reasonable to think that either would be satisfied here.

On a larger point, while I don't think this year matters much due to the pandemic, the Ducks are going to need to hit the ground running next year or that building is going to be empty.  Realistically they need two more seasons until they start looking to get back into playoff contention.  But if they can make moves to speed up that timeline so they're looking to get into playoff contention next season, it would be a big deal for this market.  

The bolded 100%. If the Ducks entered next season with Dubois-Getzlaf as their 1C-2C combo with Steel or Zegras centering a 3rd scoring line, I honestly think they'd be able to challenge for the top seed in the division. They're still going to have an elite goaltender, a very solid top-4 defense, and about $10M in extra cap space to add a decent RW. Dubois-Zegras down the middle long term would also be amazing. I don't think it happens, but I'll dream about it anyway...

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Thanks for that follow up. Honestly, him going to LA or Montreal makes the most sense. Both teams have the pieces to make that trade.

52 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

IMO, the bolded is what making a trade of this magnitude hinges on. I’m very hesitant to put the cart before the horse with Zegras and Drysdale, even though I love what I’ve seen from both of them. They are still early on in there development (which is something we worry about the Ducks doing effectively, especially for forwards). If they had one or two seasons of NHL experience and we could tell that they are going to transition and be good pros then I’d be making calls  myself to GM’s for a Dubois or Laine. I’d want guys like that to know they’ve got support coming up to help shoulder the burden.

58 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dubois is a core/star player. Unless there's another McDavid in this coming draft, there should be no hesitancy in moving our 2021 1st for Dubois. Even if we have to overpay with extras. Henrique + Perreault + 1st = count me in.

That’s true but I’ll gladly take the chance of getting an Elias Pettersson, Makar, Rantanen etc. Dubois definitely helps down the middle but I just don’t currently see any immediate goal scoring wingers for him to play along side. The Ducks have been one if not the worst scoring teams in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. There’s a lot of goals to make for. Do the Ducks become even a playoff team within two seasons of getting Dubois? He is going to need major offensive help if he came here and right now there’s no clear answer where that is going to come from, imo.

plus, what if he improves the Ducks just enough so we can’t land Wright, Lambert or Savoie in 2022?? I want to at least dream about adding one of those guys to this roster lol

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

30 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

a very solid top-4 defense

...if we could get a defensive system....😏

(look guys, I just discovered the smirk emoji so i'm using it as much as possible lol)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The bolded 100%. If the Ducks entered next season with Dubois-Getzlaf as their 1C-2C combo with Steel or Zegras centering a 3rd scoring line, I honestly think they'd be able to challenge for the top seed in the division. They're still going to have an elite goaltender, a very solid top-4 defense, and about $10M in extra cap space to add a decent RW. Dubois-Zegras down the middle long term would also be amazing. I don't think it happens, but I'll dream about it anyway...

This is what I'm thinking dreaming, too.  I don't know about challenging for the division, but it certainly puts them in the hunt for a playoff spot, and maybe more if things break right.

5 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Thanks for that follow up. Honestly, him going to LA or Montreal makes the most sense. Both teams have the pieces to make that trade.

IMO, the bolded is what making a trade of this magnitude hinges on. I’m very hesitant to put the cart before the horse with Zegras and Drysdale, even though I love what I’ve seen from both of them. They are still early on in there development (which is something we worry about the Ducks doing effectively, especially for forwards). If they had one or two seasons of NHL experience and we could tell that they are going to transition and be good pros then I’d be making calls  myself to GM’s for a Dubois or Laine. I’d want guys like that to know they’ve got support coming up to help shoulder the burden.

That’s true but I’ll gladly take the chance of getting an Elias Pettersson, Makar, Rantanen etc. Dubois definitely helps down the middle but I just don’t currently see any immediate goal scoring wingers for him to play along side. The Ducks have been one if not the worst scoring teams in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. There’s a lot of goals to make for. Do the Ducks become even a playoff team within two seasons of getting Dubois? He is going to need major offensive help if he came here and right now there’s no clear answer where that is going to come from, imo.

plus, what if he improves the Ducks just enough so we can’t land Wright, Lambert or Savoie in 2022?? I want to at least dream about adding one of those guys to this roster lol

I think the goal should be to improve the team enough so they're out of contention for those guys.  That would mean they made the playoffs, or at least made a good run at it, and that would make me happy.  You hold on to your 2022 first round pick, just in case, but this 2021 pick should be more available to improve the team in the short term for a young, proven player.

All that said, I can't see the Ducks doing this.  Not only is Dubois's request totally offputting to Murray, but Anaheim probably isn't the environment Dubois is looking for unlike LA and Montreal, and both of those teams have more assets to offer in terms of what Columbus is looking for.  So I think your 2021 1st rounder is safe.  For now.

1 minute ago, gorbachav5 said:

This is what I'm thinking dreaming, too.  I don't know about challenging for the division, but it certainly puts them in the hunt for a playoff spot, and maybe more if things break right.

I think the goal should be to improve the team enough so they're out of contention for those guys.  That would mean they made the playoffs, or at least made a good run at it, and that would make me happy.  You hold on to your 2022 first round pick, just in case, but this 2021 pick should be more available to improve the team in the short term for a young, proven player.

All that said, I can't see the Ducks doing this.  Not only is Dubois's request totally offputting to Murray, but Anaheim probably isn't the environment Dubois is looking for unlike LA and Montreal, and both of those teams have more assets to offer in terms of what Columbus is looking for.  So I think your 2021 1st rounder is safe.  For now.

I’m the inverse and think that we need to be in contention for one of those guys to get back into contention lol. Going up against LA and Colorado in the future is going to take a lot more firepower than we currently have.  I don’t see the Ducks doing this either unless Murray really feels that his job is in danger and needs to make a major shakeup to try and get to the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I’m the inverse and think that we need to be in contention for one of those guys to get back into contention lol. Going up against LA and Colorado in the future is going to take a lot more firepower than we currently have.  I don’t see the Ducks doing this either unless Murray really feels that his job is in danger and needs to make a major shakeup to try and get to the playoffs. 

Again, the likelihood of the Ducks doing this is slim to none, but since we're just having a theoretical discussion, I'll throw this out there: isn't getting a player of the caliber of Laine or Dubois LIKE winning the lottery?  Dubois was the third pick and Laine the second, and we already know that they're good, productive players at the NHL level.  There are two key differences between those guys and the three studs in the 2022 draft: 1) They cost more, which is an issue if you're at the cap, but shouldn't be much of an issue for the Ducks starting next season; and 2) They're way more of a sure bet in multiple ways.

I think hitting the lottery in the draft is very helpful, but it's not the only way to build a winner.  The Ducks won a Cup without doing it, and they're not the only ones.  I know the high draft pick studs are super valuable, but I can't reduce myself to rooting for ping pong balls in order to think we'll ever win a Cup again.  The Ducks have some nice building blocks now, and those guys can either be supplemented by good young talent that they trade for or additional talent that they draft.  If they do a good job of it, they can get back to winning without getting one of those three.

I think it will take a different front office and coaching staff to get there, but that's a different matter entirely.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Again, the likelihood of the Ducks doing this is slim to none, but since we're just having a theoretical discussion, I'll throw this out there: isn't getting a player of the caliber of Laine or Dubois LIKE winning the lottery?  Dubois was the third pick and Laine the second, and we already know that they're good, productive players at the NHL level.  There are two key differences between those guys and the three studs in the 2022 draft: 1) They cost more, which is an issue if you're at the cap, but shouldn't be much of an issue for the Ducks starting next season; and 2) They're way more of a sure bet in multiple ways.

I think hitting the lottery in the draft is very helpful, but it's not the only way to build a winner.  The Ducks won a Cup without doing it, and they're not the only ones.  I know the high draft pick studs are super valuable, but I can't reduce myself to rooting for ping pong balls in order to think we'll ever win a Cup again.  The Ducks have some nice building blocks now, and those guys can either be supplemented by good young talent that they trade for or additional talent that they draft.  If they do a good job of it, they can get back to winning without getting one of those three.

I think it will take a different front office and coaching staff to get there, but that's a different matter entirely.

I agree with this a lot! I've always felt that getting a #1 pick is not a prerequisite for winning the Cup. In fact, it doesn't result in a Cup as often as one would think...which is one of the many reasons why I'm not into tanking...you can look at teams like the Pens or Hawks as the odd-teams out...they also had numerous high picks...

Also, sort of related...this is why I still would say the Bruins won the Thornton trade...the Bruins trade Joe Thornton and have won a Cup and 2 finals appearance besides that (3 total). The Sharks....1 finals appearance with Joe. Do the Bruins have that success with Joe? IMO, no.

Bolts, Blues -- no number 1 pick (Stamkos doesn't really count, he was not on that team for that run)...Caps had Ovi after 13 years...Pens had a ton...but where's Florida? Buffalo? Toronto? Edmonton? Colorado? New Jersey? Islanders don't have Tavares anymore and are seeing much more success. Maybe one of these teams changes that this year...but not yet! So I can still say this haha

BJs w/ Nash? And now I'm basically in the 90s...the number of #1 picks without a cup is actually kinda staggering...

6 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

They will be asking for Zegras and/or Drysdale which would be a hard pass from me and I hope Bob, too.

BUT, on the contrary, if it's something like rakell + larsson + 2021 1st rounder...that's a hard yes!...or really any of the steels or jones or terrys

I bet someone will get him for something cheap and we are going to be like that’s it? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

I bet someone will get him for something cheap and we are going to be like that’s it? 

haha right? like Erik Karlsson. Although, looking now, it did cost the Sharks Tim Stutzle ... 🎉

Word is something is gonna happen between now and tomorrow.

Also I heard rumor was if the Habs are the team it would involve Nick Suzuki which....eek....I don't know if I'd do that if I'm the Habs. And it sounds like the Habs are a team Dubois wants to go to.

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Absolutely agree that the front office/coaching is another matter entirely. Unless you can coach and manage assets effectively, you can squander talent and your future cup chances (see: Edmonton, Buffalo).

The Ducks cup is one that I doubt can be replicated. We won because we had two Norris trophy defensemen. One we got because we had his brother and the other because of alleged off ice dalliances that forced him out of Edmonton only weeks after he led them to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Also, we hit the ultimate lottery in probably the best draft ever and got two franchise altering players in the mid and late first round. Plus, we had the aging wonder and Ducks GOAT Selanne. The Ducks hit a royal flush and I’m not betting the house in them being that lucky again.

Also, I’ve made a point in the past that cup winning teams have generally had one or more lottery or top-5 picks. Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, Washington. Whether they are cores of your team or pieces you can trade away to supplement what you have (ie Carter, Richards for LA). So you have to be bad and lucky more often than not and then how to build around the talent you get. Most of that talent comes through the draft but it hasn’t arrived yet for the Ducks.

Getting Dubois at this point makes the team modestly better, imo, but you’re still betting on Zegras, Drysdale, etc to not just be very good but to be stars which is we are still a couple of seasons away from finding out and then having that kind of an impact if they do. So, I don’t think getting a Dubois necessarily accelerates the rebuild until the Ducks draft and develop a requisite amount of talent and I’m not putting that kind of faith in Bob Murray to pull off. 

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

LOL

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, nieder said:

LOL

Not gonna Lie but this is very Interesting to read about.....Ducks need Spark and I always had feeling they can use Player to get the offense going.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

15 minutes ago, nieder said:

LOL

Well that sucks! 

Hey, I wonder if that’s why he’s playing so poorly. Maybe Bob asked him to waive the NTC?

17 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Well that sucks! 

Hey, I wonder if that’s why he’s playing so poorly. Maybe Bob asked him to waive the NTC?

And then Henrique kindly telling Bob to go kick rocks lol.

Welp, get your popcorn ready.

58 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Absolutely agree that the front office/coaching is another matter entirely. Unless you can coach and manage assets effectively, you can squander talent and your future cup chances (see: Edmonton, Buffalo).

The Ducks cup is one that I doubt can be replicated. We won because we had two Norris trophy defensemen. One we got because we had his brother and the other because of alleged off ice dalliances that forced him out of Edmonton only weeks after he led them to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Also, we hit the ultimate lottery in probably the best draft ever and got two franchise altering players in the mid and late first round. Plus, we had the aging wonder and Ducks GOAT Selanne. The Ducks hit a royal flush and I’m not betting the house in them being that lucky again.

Also, I’ve made a point in the past that cup winning teams have generally had one or more lottery or top-5 picks. Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa, Washington. Whether they are cores of your team or pieces you can trade away to supplement what you have (ie Carter, Richards for LA). So you have to be bad and lucky more often than not and then how to build around the talent you get. Most of that talent comes through the draft but it hasn’t arrived yet for the Ducks.

Getting Dubois at this point makes the team modestly better, imo, but you’re still betting on Zegras, Drysdale, etc to not just be very good but to be stars which is we are still a couple of seasons away from finding out and then having that kind of an impact if they do. So, I don’t think getting a Dubois necessarily accelerates the rebuild until the Ducks draft and develop a requisite amount of talent and I’m not putting that kind of faith in Bob Murray to pull off. 

Dubois was a lottery pick. Columbus drew the #3 ping pong ball to get him. If the Ducks could acquire him, their core would consist of Dubois (#3), Drysdale (#6), Lindholm (#6), Zegras (#9), and Fowler (#12). How is this much different than what the Kings won multiple Cups with? 

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dubois was a lottery pick. Columbus drew the #3 ping pong ball to get him. If the Ducks could acquire him, their core would consist of Dubois (#3), Drysdale (#6), Lindholm (#6), Zegras (#9), and Fowler (#12). How is this much different than what the Kings won multiple Cups with? 

I'd argue that LA had an established core in place with Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Quick-well we do have John: 36 (in their primes) when they traded for Carter and Richards. Ironically, LA took advantage of the Blue Jackets because Carter was actively trying to get traded lol. LA was well-equipped at LHD which allowed them to move Jack Johnson for Carter and took a huge swing for Richards before that. If the Ducks had a similar core in place then I'd be on a bullhorn in front of Murray's office to trade for Dubois.

Lindholm is interesting because of his contact situation. What do you do with him in two years when he wants a substantial raise and your best prospects are likely still developing?

6 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I'd argue that LA had an established core in place with Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Quick-well we do have John: 36 (in their primes) when they traded for Carter and Richards. Ironically, LA took advantage of the Blue Jackets because Carter was actively trying to get traded lol. LA was well-equipped at LHD which allowed them to move Jack Johnson for Carter and took a huge swing for Richards before that. If the Ducks had a similar core in place then I'd be on a bullhorn in front of Murray's office to trade for Dubois.

Lindholm is interesting because of his contact situation. What do you do with him in two years when he wants a substantial raise and your best prospects are likely still developing?

The Kings were on the playoff bubble when they traded for Carter and eventually qualified as an 8th seed before they rolled to that first Cup in 2012. Sometimes you need a big move to bring everything together.

29 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

The Kings were on the playoff bubble when they traded for Carter and eventually qualified as an 8th seed before they rolled to that first Cup in 2012. Sometimes you need a big move to bring everything together.

That's true. LA was a bubble team that needed more scoring and had more than enough defense to part with to get Carter to help with that. Right now, I can't see the Ducks as even being close to a bubble team let alone a team that is a big move or two away from going on a similar run. I guess my point is that LA had a franchise center, a Norris caliber defensemen, two wingers who put up 50 points before they got Carter and that the Ducks just don't have anything close to that currently. 

I'm still not as depressed compared to their 2014 title run....for obvious reasons!

20 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That's true. LA was a bubble team that needed more scoring and had more than enough defense to part with to get Carter to help with that. Right now, I can't see the Ducks as even being close to a bubble team let alone a team that is a big move or two away from going on a similar run. I guess my point is that LA had a franchise center, a Norris caliber defensemen, two wingers who put up 50 points before they got Carter and that the Ducks just don't have anything close to that currently. 

I'm still not as depressed compared to their 2014 title run....for obvious reasons!

Lebrun tweeted an hour ago that he thinks it’s the Ducks, Winnipeg, and Montreal. Teams no longer in the mix have been told they’re out.

17 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lebrun tweeted an hour ago that he thinks it’s the Ducks, Winnipeg, and Montreal. Teams no longer in the mix have been told they’re out.

Oh lord. I don't like that lol.

I mean, Montreal has Kotkaniemi, Denault (they seem to love Suzuki) to offer up and Winnipeg has Laine, Roslovic which I'd think trumps whatever the Ducks could do.

11 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I mean, Montreal has Kotkaniemi, Denault (they seem to love Suzuki) to offer up and Winnipeg has Laine, Roslovic which I'd think trumps whatever the Ducks could do.

I’m reading that Laine would require Columbus to add a sweetener.

12 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah I believe the word from the Jets is Laine and Roslovic are up....and Montreal has something like that....but the Ducks could offer that 2021 1st....that's what they've got that the others dont...chances are HIGH that'll be a high pick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m reading that Laine would require Columbus to add a sweetener.

6 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah I believe the word from the Jets is Laine and Roslovic are up....and Montreal has something like that....but the Ducks could offer that 2021 1st....that's what they've got that the others dont...chances are HIGH that'll be a high pick

Whoa. What could the Ducks possibly offer up sans Zegras/Drysdale if that's the case? I could see Murray offering Rakell+Steel+2021 1st but I'd still hate that lol

8 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Whoa. What could the Ducks possibly offer up sans Zegras/Drysdale if that's the case? I could see Murray offering Rakell+Steel+2021 1st but I'd still hate that lol

Basically that's what I've seen going around on twitter...lol Zegras/Drysdale probably off the table...and Rakell+Steel or Terry or Comtois or Jones + 2021 1st or 2nd.....i mean, yeah, the 2nd would be better haha but I think making it a 1st puts us in contention more

31 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I really like Steel but if we adding Dubois we could afford to give him up. Zegras/Dubois down the middle would be excellent.