The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike8228

Rutherford Available

Pens GM resigns for unknown reasons. Great GM. Lots of cups with the pens. This should be considered since Murray just isn’t cutting it. Bring him in, drop the coaches. Hire Gallant as head coach, Brucey B as an assistant and promote Sutter to Assistant from consultant. That is a hell of of coaching line up. There are options out there but we consistently settle for mediocre bargain bin half ass do what is easy antics. I don’t understand it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Pens GM resigns for unknown reasons. Great GM. Lots of cups with the pens. This should be considered since Murray just isn’t cutting it. Bring him in, drop the coaches. Hire Gallant as head coach, Brucey B as an assistant and promote Sutter to Assistant from consultant. That is a hell of of coaching line up. There are options out there but we consistently settle for mediocre bargain bin half ass do what is easy antics. I don’t understand it.

wait wait wait Galant is available??????? how the frak are we still with Eakins????

Also, I wouldn't be into Rutherfield...he made a lot of questionable moves...most recently the trade of Kapanen...he basically was blowing up pittsburgh future to try and win now and then also not really getting the pieces to win now...and he hasn't really addressed their goaltending situation.

He was gifted Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and really won when Murray came out of the woodwork. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ike-1 said:

Question I have is this...DOES Jim want to be back in GM spot...Cause apparently there was a rif he had with Ownership with Pittsburgh.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Gallant got fired from Vegas pretty abruptly. I think we need to know more about how that went down before we’d consider hiring him. 

38 minutes ago, Fisix said:

Gallant got fired from Vegas pretty abruptly. I think we need to know more about how that went down before we’d consider hiring him. 

this is true...along with Florida, same. pretty abruptly during a winning record

Rutherford is in his 70s. I'd rather bring in somebody younger to be honest.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:10 PM, gorbachav5 said:

He also recently signed Jack Johnson to a multi-year, multi-million deal.  I'll pass on that.  I'd also rather look for someone younger and more analytically savvy.

Rather go the John Chayka route huh? I’m not a Rutherford guy, but it’s not like hiring a head coach . Every situation is different when a GM gets to re-tool or blow up a roster. Anything at this point is better than Murray.

The problem with Rutherford is that he went to the Brian Burke school of win-now mode regardless of who you're managing. He wouldn't be much help to a team like ours that's stuck in a 12th place finish identity crisis cause the GM doesn't want to commit to a rebuild when (at best) he could be getting swept out of the first round instead. He'd be a new voice in the ears of the Samuelis though. As little faith as I might have in Rutherford long term, I still feel like that would be a positive.

Fun thought: Maybe there's an alternate universe where Rutherford is never hired in Pittsburgh. He takes Murray's job after GMBM gets himself fired for even flirting with the bat**** crazy idea of replacing Boudreau with Carlyle a year early after they lose to Chicago. Instead of trading for that waste of space Bieksa, they trade for Kessel who pulls that comically oversized horseshoe outta Rinne's backside. We'd be in the exact same situation right about now anyway, at least we might've had another title or two to show for it.

I blame Bieksa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/30/2021 at 5:20 PM, PetrSykora said:

The problem with Rutherford is that he went to the Brian Burke school of win-now mode regardless of who you're managing.

This is exactly how I feel but I couldn't put it better. Rutherford had success in Carolina but left them in a poor spot, and he has done the same thing in Pittsburgh. When the team is on the downswing he keeps making dumb moves to try and keep his team competitive.

Scrolled through Ducks Reddit and saw this. If that’s true then we dodged a mortar sized bullet but yet are somehow more undeniably screwed with Murray as the GM than I thought. The thought of him getting another coaching hire terrifies me, let alone he thought Sutter was a good choice. 

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Scrolled through Ducks Reddit and saw this. If that’s true then we dodged a mortar sized bullet but yet are somehow more undeniably screwed with Murray as the GM than I thought. The thought of him getting another coaching hire terrifies me, let alone he thought Sutter was a good choice. 

Sutter coached the kings to two cups. Sure at the end of his tenure he was terrible but you can't deny that he had a good run there. 

26 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Sutter coached the kings to two cups. Sure at the end of his tenure he was terrible but you can't deny that he had a good run there. 

Definitely not denying what he did in LA. I just don't think that he's the right coach for the Ducks especially at this stage. The fact that Murray would seemingly have the blessing from ownership to do this is a major concern, imo. Eakins successor, whenever that is, should be picked by the next GM (likely Madden).

If that reporting is accurate, imagine how Eakins must feel about Murray looking to fire him lol.

i don't think the rumor is accurate.  sicard is just running with a rumor built on a rumor.