The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
saskduckfan

Time To Blow Things Up

3 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

If you can stomach it, watch the Ducks execute their odd-man rushes next game.  One of three things almost always happens: 1) They dump the puck in because...Eakins; 2) The guy carrying the puck in doesn't even try to make a pass to an open man because he knows he can't get it there, so he takes a low-percentage wrist shot; 3) The puck carrier does make the pass and it gets easily tipped or intercepted.  Their 2-on-1s and 3-on-2s are awful.  No one, aside from Getzlaf, has any vision or passing ability.  I'm probably biased because that's my favorite part of hockey, but it's definitely an important part of hockey and the Ducks are bad at it.

They have started dumping the puck in at the expense of anything else. We are dumping in on odd man rushes.

Perfect example: last night Silf was on right wing just over the red line with Steel right next to him in the middle, wide open at the blue line. Instead of passing, Silf dumps it in. The Blues get the puck and attacking chance gone.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, nieder said:

I think we should be looking to move Rakell. His season of 69 points in 77 games appears to be an aberration. He's just not going to be a regular 30-40 goal scoring winger in this league. He still has a lot of value as a complimentary piece, still young and on a cheap contract. He should bring back good value in a trade. The biggest issue right now though is the expansion draft. A lot of teams are not wanting to add another contract past this season, as they would need to give up assets and then use an expansion draft spot on him. The time to sell these guys may be in the offseason after the ED.

The reason he had such good numbers that season was because he was playing on a line with Getzlaf and Perry at a time when Perry was still perceived as the primary threat.  Combine that with a decade of behavior by Getzlaf passing to Perry 95% of the time  and the Ducks' opponents would be keyed on Perry leaving Rakell open. Left open Rakell can score as well as anyone in the league. But now he is the Ducks' number one perceived scorer and he does not posses the same ability to score with two players hanging all over him  the way Perry could.

17 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

yeah, they seem like very hands-off owners which has it's ups and downs. I'm sure BM loves it haha 

Let's be honest here. At work if we do not do our job there are consequences to pay its called accountability commitment, our team has NONE OF IT! Fish spoils from the heads down start with Bob. 

39 minutes ago, nieder said:

To me, Rakell has lost most of his scoring touch. While his current shooting percentage is 2.9%, he was also well below his career average the last 2 years. I just don't believe he is going to score 33 goals again. His shooting percentages for the last 3 seasons:

2018-2019: 9.3%

2019-2020: 8.1%

2020-2021: 2.9%

Even if he were up at his percentages for the last 2 seasons, he would have 3X a many goals. 3 x 1 goal = 3 goals in 10 games. Over a full season still only 25 goals. Rakell just is not the 30 goal scorer we expected him to be.

I agree, but at just $3.8M/season aren't we being a little unfair in expecting him to produce like a $6M player? I like Rakell's game and would be perfectly happy to re-sign him in the $4.5M-$5M range because I do think he's a 25G scorer with a decent center and a wing on the opposite side who can generate even a little attention from the defenders. I also think his declining shooting percentage corresponds with a decline in linemate quality. Watching Rakell buzz the O-zone and create shooting opportunities for himself this season leads me to believe that his decline in goals is more due to having no one on the opposite wing who can take any pressure off. Even in the Ducks atrocious offense that has been getting caved in all season long, he's still 11th in the entire league in SOGs.

35 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

I agree, but at just $3.8M/season aren't we being a little unfair in expecting him to produce like a $6M player? I like Rakell's game and would be perfectly happy to re-sign him in the $4.5M-$5M range because I do think he's a 25G scorer with a decent center and a wing on the opposite side who can generate even a little attention from the defenders. I also think his declining shooting percentage corresponds with a decline in linemate quality. Watching Rakell buzz the O-zone and create shooting opportunities for himself this season leads me to believe that his decline in goals is more due to having no one on the opposite wing who can take any pressure off. Even in the Ducks atrocious offense that has been getting caved in all season long, he's still 11th in the entire league in SOGs.

My problem is that his goal scoring ability seems to be going down, not up. I don't really buy that it was just all about linemates and he would be performing on other lines. Rakell just seems like a player that is perpetually snake bit. Like even when he has chances right in front of the net, with lots of time and space or on the PP, he still cannot put the puck in the net. I worry that re-signing him to an extension paying $5M per year is going to be an overpayment if his numbers keep declining like they have been. At a minimum I think his ceiling is 50-55 points per season. Which I suppose with the cap continually going up would be an OK value at $5M per year.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

They have started dumping the puck in at the expense of anything else. We are dumping in on odd man rushes.

Perfect example: last night Silf was on right wing just over the red line with Steel right next to him in the middle, wide open at the blue line. Instead of passing, Silf dumps it in. The Blues get the puck and attacking chance gone.

I’m not sure I remember this particular play, but I can think of a few instances like this which are examples of why I think the problem is more about the scheme and not certain individual players. Under BB and even Carlyle, Silf would skate the puck forward as far as possible at an angle towards the goal and then drop it off to the center swinging in behind on the overlap, thereby creating space for the center to make a play. But there’s almost no “layering” to the offensive attack in this current scheme and the whole forward unit basically attacks in a parallel line, so defenders can push the point of attack further out and basically force either a higher-risk cross-ice pass or a dump-in. And more often than not, it’s a dump-in because they’re trying to play it safer. We might get different results in this scheme if our wingers were quicker and posed a threat of beating defenders around the outside (which would then force defenders to back down a bit) but outside of Milano (on IR) the Ducks just don’t have that kind of speed on the wings. So the scheme just isn’t fitting the personnel, and vice versa. It’s so frustrating to watch.

1 hour ago, Joker8 said:

Let's be honest here. At work if we do not do our job there are consequences to pay its called accountability commitment, our team has NONE OF IT! Fish spoils from the heads down start with Bob. 

well, lets be honest here...you need to define "do our job" ...'cause I'm guessing you and the Samueis have a different definition of what that means in terms of BM lol

I forget who was saying it, but was talking about passing as the bigger problem than scoring...and I kinda agree.

Was interesting how Hazy or Ahlers were saying that Berube has a philosophy of "don't shoot unless you're over the home plate" (aka don't throw away your shot off the perimeter)....it's the opposite of the ol' saying "just throw it to the net and good things happen" ...to me there obviously has to be a balance.

But I go back and forth with Eakins giving the order of "just shoot it whenever you can" ...like...I get why he's saying that, people are trying to pass when they should shoot...but also like....if you shoot when you should pass...come on, don't do that. It's not like we have a bunch of players with great shots who are passing....I dunno what I'm saying lol JUST DO THE PERFECT PLAY EACH TIME!!! lol

I'm just saying I don't like it if Eakins is telling people to just shoot it. He should be encouraging them to read the play and make what is the best play in the moment. I saw just too many shots thrown away last night. Who cares if we outshot the opponent if none of the shots matter. I dunno....finishing is such a problem with our forwards.

25 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

. We might get different results in this scheme if our wingers were quicker and posed a threat of beating defenders around the outside (which would then force defenders to back down a bit) but outside of Milano (on IR) the Ducks just don’t have that kind of speed on the wings. So the scheme just isn’t fitting the personnel, and vice versa. It’s so frustrating to watch.

Agree with this. The Other teams Defense is getting the puck and exiting very easily against our forecheck.  This could be because our forwardS are having to battle so much on our side to get the puck out. I also feel like Hakanppa is the only D that is getting physical out there hitting and bumping skaters off the puck.  All of our other Defensemen are content with skating along the attacking skaters and just attempting to stick check.  When we did get physical in the offensive zone last night we did create more turns overs and chances but it’s not happening enough

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

No way I move Rakell right now. If the plan is to eventually move on from him and not re-sign him, you still HAVE to wait until next year's trade deadline. His value is going to be extremely high next season at the TDL and we could end up with a huge haul, but it's rock bottom right now with the Ducks in big time cap trouble and sucking hard. You also have to expect that Rakell will likely have much better play next year in a contract year, as many guys blow up during their contract years and inflate their value. So if there's ever a time and player to be a little more patient with, I think it's Rakell this season. 

Rakell is also one of the only guys generating legit scoring chances. He doesn't have the goal stats yet, but that's only because his shooting percentage is abnormally low (currently 2.9%, career is 11.6%). There's no way it stays that low for the whole season. He's got 34 SOGs though, which is 14 more than the next highest Duck (Heinan at 20) and almost double what Terry (9) and Steel (9) have combined for. 

Move Rico is that situation with him stays bad, but don't touch Rakell until you can actually get real value for him = my two cents.

Watch Bob will let Rakell go for freeeee in the expansion draft LOL. Wouldn’t doubt it, he let go a valuable asset last time around 😵 

Problem imho could be Bob Murray he has failed ensuring our Ducks are improving but focus on something that has not work in while...I will be making Youtube Vid on that this week discussing the issues.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I’m not sure I remember this particular play, but I can think of a few instances like this which are examples of why I think the problem is more about the scheme and not certain individual players. Under BB and even Carlyle, Silf would skate the puck forward as far as possible at an angle towards the goal and then drop it off to the center swinging in behind on the overlap, thereby creating space for the center to make a play. But there’s almost no “layering” to the offensive attack in this current scheme and the whole forward unit basically attacks in a parallel line, so defenders can push the point of attack further out and basically force either a higher-risk cross-ice pass or a dump-in. And more often than not, it’s a dump-in because they’re trying to play it safer. We might get different results in this scheme if our wingers were quicker and posed a threat of beating defenders around the outside (which would then force defenders to back down a bit) but outside of Milano (on IR) the Ducks just don’t have that kind of speed on the wings. So the scheme just isn’t fitting the personnel, and vice versa. It’s so frustrating to watch.

if you go back and look at the game last night, you start to see that the scheme includes this stuff, but the players haven't been executing with enough speed and skill to make it past or sometimes even into the setup for the play.  once they get the sand out of their pants, like they did in the first period, the plays start having better structure, things open up, scoring chances start appearing.

there's an argument (i'd call it a really weak argument) that you can't give some players certain plays because they just can't execute them.  i think the game last night shows that these players can execute the plays they've been given, but they need to commit way more to the plan than they normally do.  and they have to do it fully, in training, and in each and every game.  there's no way for Eakins to adjust the scheme to fit the players better if the players aren't even starting the plays right... that just ends up with the players vetoing the whole plan, as mandated by the GM and all the coaches, and that's not how professional sports works.

when the players make a visible effort to execute the plays on the ice during the game, each period, then we can talk about whether Eakin's plays suck and whether we need a different coach.  until then, it's all on the players.  if the players won't commit for 20+ games straight, and at least give the new system an honest try, then it's time to shake them up.  if that means losing Hank or a few other vets at a low price, then i think that's what we have to do.  getting a new coach now would be a huge sign of weakness on the part of the GM, and the players would forever know all they needed to do is sandbag a few games and they decide which coach they get, the style of game they play, and frankly, i've seen those teams, and they're almost always trash fires (we don't have players on the team right now that can muster a winning strategy across all the lines).

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

when the players make a visible effort to execute the plays on the ice during the game, each period, then we can talk about whether Eakin's plays suck and whether we need a different coach.  until then, it's all on the players.  if the players won't commit for 20+ games straight, and at least give the new system an honest try, then it's time to shake them up.  if that means losing Hank or a few other vets at a low price, then i think that's what we have to do.  getting a new coach now would be a huge sign of weakness on the part of the GM, and the players would forever know all they needed to do is sandbag a few games and they decide which coach they get, the style of game they play, and frankly, i've seen those teams, and they're almost always trash fires (we don't have players on the team right now that can muster a winning strategy across all the lines).

Some of the players look like they’ve tuned out.  It looks like a dumpster fire in the making.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Watch Bob will let Rakell go for freeeee in the expansion draft LOL. Wouldn’t doubt it, he let go a valuable asset last time around 😵 

I'm not going to get into NMC's, albatross contracts, etc. All I'm asking is can we let the last E.D go already? Vegas asked for Theodore in exchange for drafting Clayton Stoner. Otherwise, Vegas is taking either Manson or Silf. at the draft. I hate the hindsight 20/20 argument that we should have let Vegas have either player instead of losing Theodore too. 

• Like 2

Good article about the Ducks current struggles in the Athletic this morning.   The comments are good too.

Wow I must have eliminated that period from my mind. 10 goals in 10 games and shutout 5 times? I guess things can be worse.....that team had a lot more talent though, they were in the Western Conference Final the previous season and back there the following season. The fact that they had just been successful made it more likely they could turn things around. I don't see any reason to believe that this time.

35 minutes ago, nieder said:

Wow I must have eliminated that period from my mind. 10 goals in 10 games and shutout 5 times? I guess things can be worse.....that team had a lot more talent though, they were in the Western Conference Final the previous season and back there the following season. The fact that they had just been successful made it more likely they could turn things around. I don't see any reason to believe that this time.

They got eliminated in the first round that year against Nashville, not the conference finals. When they lost in the conf finals it was under Carlyle the year after. The reason Boudreau got the pink slip is because it was the 4th season in a row they got eliminated with 3-2 leads in the series, and game 7 being at home.

• Like 1

Just now, gilligoos said:

They got eliminated in the first round that year against Nashville, not the conference finals. When they lost in the conf finals it was under Carlyle the year after. The reason Boudreau got the pink slip is because it was the 4th season in a row they got eliminated with 3-2 leads in the series, and game 7 being at home.

Yes, I said the following season.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

Yes, I said the following season.

ah gotcha. misinterpreted "following season" with the year after the Hawks series.

1 minute ago, gilligoos said:

ah gotcha. misinterpreted "following season" with the year after the Hawks series.

Oops sorry I can see how it was confusing now that you mention it.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

There was a ton of turnover on the forward lines right after the WCF loss to Chicago as GMBM went crazy trying to re-make the team's style which IMO caused that early season chaos. New faces to start the season included Hagelin, Chris Stewart, Shawn Horcoff, and Mike Santorelli, and there was also that push to split the Twins to spread out the scoring (don't know if that was BB or BM or both who made that decision to split them, but it was a dud). But the core was the same and eventually Boudreau figured out how to get the best out of them. So yeah, that season and this season have very little in common in terms of core and coach. 

That said, this team is not a contender, but it's also not as bad as it's playing right now. Some significant tweaks desperately need to be made soon if they're going to save it from going off the rails.

Edited by dtsdlaw

6 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

The Anaheim teams are really covering themselves in glory these days.  The Ducks are in a spiral: they're losing terribly, their coach and GM both need to go, and their owners seem to be unwilling or unable to spend to fix the team. 

The Angels just had their pitching coach outed for inappropriate advances toward female media members.  This is about a year and a half after one of their players died from drugs obtained for him by a member of the clubhouse staff.

Your move, Ducks.

And please know that despite my somewhat wry tone, I think the Angels' discretions are far worse and should be handled very seriously.  Their pitching coach should be fired by the end of the day.

Speaking of Angels it's bad PR if they keep him around...As for the Ducks.....I agree Bob Murray needs to go which I will discuss in my Youtube Channel this week.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Nick Deslauriers and Carter Rowney are leading* the team in points.  Just let that wash over you for a minute.  We're 20% of the way through the season.

*Tied with Getzlaf and Silfverberg.  But still.

And Deslauriers with a team low 11:17 average TOI. 

Atrocious.

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Nick Deslauriers and Carter Rowney are leading* the team in points.  Just let that wash over you for a minute.  We're 20% of the way through the season.

best 4th line all time.🥴

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Don't want to be too hard on the kid but Gibson and Miller are tied with Terry, a forward who has played 9 games. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:47 PM, FanSince1993 said:

I completely agree with you, guys, that BM have to go, However, I afraid nothing is going to happen. Keep in mind, that Anaheim is a small market, budget team. Samueli's never watch or attend games, except occasional ceremonial puck drops. Now, let's say someone reports to them about true condition of this team. If they fire BM, they'll need to spend a few million dollars to hire another GM. Then they'll need to spend another few million $ to hire a new coach. The Ducks organization already losing millions of dollars due to short season and no ticket sales. Why would the ownership spend more money if the season is lost anyways?

As much as I don't like BM, who gradually turned a Stanley Cup contender into NHL doormat, I afraid he'll stay till 2022, when his contract will expire.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Samueli’s are worth north of 4 billion.  If they wanted to shake things up, they would.  It’s not a money thing.  They must actually believe the team is in good hands. 

6 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Samueli’s are worth north of 4 billion.  If they wanted to shake things up, they would.  It’s not a money thing.  They must actually believe the team is in good hands. 

IF that is...then they are Naive to think or expect Ducks GM Bob Murray to make  important move.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

for me is an important year to see how good is BM.

go in full rebuild, the only good move for now. especially before the ED Seattle, trade some veterans away and try to get the best for the future. he made already some good future moves (we had 2 firsts in last two years).

trade players like Manson, Shattenkirk, Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg...maybe keep 2-3 leadership veterans (as Getzlaf).. take some picks for the next 2-3 years (you don't have to take all for the same year).

so you can protect all players you want in the ED... and not have to make a deal with Seattle to protect your guys...

every Stanley Cup winner in the last 15 years had at least a top 4 overall pick. Detroit were the only one without a top 5 pick who won the Cup (Ducks had 2. B. Ryan and 5. Christov, but both not played 2006-2007)...

21 hours ago, DT2008 said:

On paper.  In order to see that money, they'd have to sell stocks, which would immediately lower the value of them.

Cash wise, I wouldn't be surprised if the business side of the Ducks was presently upside down.  I think it is still a money thing.  They never want to be strapped unless it is an absolute slam dunk, which is rare.

30 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

On paper.  In order to see that money, they'd have to sell stocks, which would immediately lower the value of them.

Cash wise, I wouldn't be surprised if the business side of the Ducks was presently upside down.  I think it is still a money thing.  They never want to be strapped unless it is an absolute slam dunk, which is rare.

Clearly from the Looks of it Ducks are saving money using the "Developing Within" Method that work with previous prospects....But I think imho IF they want to make a trade it must benefit them the most. I agree it's rare but also you say about "Slam Dunk"...Only way it's happening is IF they get impact player.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck