The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
saskduckfan

Time To Blow Things Up

1 minute ago, Spike1981 said:

retain salary...

I hope he tried it, but why not a statement?

Retaining salary stays on our cap.  I'm guessing he doesn't want that.

And no statement maybe because the transaction isn't complete?

14 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Retaining salary stays on our cap.  I'm guessing he doesn't want that.

we have this year 6 mio for Perry... next year 2 mio, so no worry about that...if we got 3-4 mio away, we have next season 8 mio new space for other players.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

we have this year 6 mio for Perry... next year 2 mio, so no worry about that...if we got 3-4 mio away, we have next season 8 mio new space for other players.

Yes, and that has choked us a bit.  I don't think he wasn't to willingly add to that, and neither do we.

We can't say we're disappointed he didn't add a phantom cap hit and then turn around and complain that he didn't make some splashy deal that requires cap space.

It's  NOT Easy to Trade or make trade.....in this day of age...But imho Ducks need to be strategic,Openminded and by very aware what needs to be done...YES we talk getting Picks here and that....Prospects and son But we must be clear Ducks need to make BEST of any TRADE DEAL NOT throw a Player away free up Cap Room.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 2/20/2021 at 10:20 AM, Jasoaks said:

Something has been off with Rico since the start of the season...this isn't the same guy from last season. If it's coaching staff related...frak this move. I'd rather have Rico than Eakins or any of the coaching staff.

I'm sure Murray tried to trade him and no one took him. Him being scratched or waived doesn't really affect much on the ice....i mean, we might look better?

But SOMETHING is going on with Rico. To me, this is strange. Unlikely he gets picked up...but he might!

Or, Murray had a trade in place but was prevented from doing so because Rico wouldn't waive his 10-team NTC for whoever BM had a deal set up with?

Something is going on here. The waivers move seems retaliatory to me. Very personal. Like perhaps Rico (or his agent) has done something specific to raise GMBM's ire. More than just playing poorly, though his underlying fancy stats are really not bad after only 17 games. There's a bench and a press box that can be used for poor play, and it's not like the bench and press box are single-use entities if you don't get the immediate result you want. Waivers is an entirely different animal though. For a player of Henrique's caliber, that's humiliating. It's demeaning. Bob didn't even bother to try and sneak Rowney (a 31-year-old 4th liner on an expiring contract) through waivers before the seasons started, but Rico gets waivers after 17 games? Two days later and I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around why the Ducks would go for such a messy, public divorce from Rico after he scored 26G last season. It's a really bad look all around.

btw, there are only about 6-7 teams that have cap space to take on his current cap hit, and of those teams I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of them are on Rico's 10-team no trade list. If GMBM was already trying to trade him, chances are the league's GMs know which teams are on Rico's list, and it may have prevented him from being snagged by, for example, an Ottawa or a Detroit. That may make him harder to trade too. If team's that have the cap space know he didn't want to be traded there, they likely wouldn't be interested in acquiring him now. So this could take a long time to play out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Or, Murray had a trade in place but was prevented from doing so because Rico wouldn't waive his 10-team NTC for whoever BM had a deal set up with?

Something is going on here. The waivers move seems retaliatory to me. Very personal. Like perhaps Rico (or his agent) has done something specific to raise GMBM's ire. More than just playing poorly, though his underlying fancy stats are really not bad after only 17 games. There's a bench and a press box that can be used for poor play, and it's not like the bench and press box are single-use entities if you don't get the immediate result you want. Waivers is an entirely different animal though. For a player of Henrique's caliber, that's humiliating. It's demeaning. Bob didn't even bother to try and sneak Rowney (a 31-year-old 4th liner on an expiring contract) through waivers before the seasons started, but Rico gets waivers after 17 games? Two days later and I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around why the Ducks would go for such a messy, public divorce from Rico after he scored 26G last season. It's a really bad look all around.

btw, there are only about 6-7 teams that have cap space to take on his current cap hit, and of those teams I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of them are on Rico's 10-team no trade list. If GMBM was already trying to trade him, chances are the league's GMs know which teams are on Rico's list, and it may have prevented him from being snagged by, for example, an Ottawa or a Detroit. That may make him harder to trade too. If team's that have the cap space know he didn't want to be traded there, they likely wouldn't be interested in acquiring him now. So this could take a long time to play out.

Ugh, yeah, I mean I agree with you...that's very unprofessional of BM if that's what he's doing. I mean, that makes sense...why he wouldn't be taken or why he couldn't be traded and wouldn't waive for CBJ if that's what happened.

But like...something seemed off with him from GAME 1. Before any of this. Maybe BM tried to make a Rico trade before the season started. But if this is the way Rico responds to something that is clearly a part of the game, albeit shiiitttty part...then what the frak Rico? Like, that's on him then. I mean, I think Bieksa was asked to waive his NMC for the ED and didn't...but didn't then get all pouty about it after wards.

• Like 1

counterpoint:  Hank refusing the trade is one thing (unless he went back on a verbal agreement to waive), but playing as poorly as he visibly has (regardless of the advanced stats - which CLEARLY shouldn't override the non-advanced stats) is completely another.  THAT's unprofessional.

we don't know what was said back and forth, though, so we can leave room for some poor judgement on both sides as far as what was said. 

it takes two to dance like this.  BM doesn't have a great track record, so i get why it feels like it makes sense to harp on him.  well, that and the rather poor asset management.  i'm sure both sides saw what happened with Laine and Dubois and decided to YOLO the whole situation.    

3 hours ago, Fisix said:

counterpoint:  Hank refusing the trade is one thing (unless he went back on a verbal agreement to waive), but playing as poorly as he visibly has (regardless of the advanced stats - which CLEARLY shouldn't override the non-advanced stats) is completely another.  THAT's unprofessional.

we don't know what was said back and forth, though, so we can leave room for some poor judgement on both sides as far as what was said. 

it takes two to dance like this.  BM doesn't have a great track record, so i get why it feels like it makes sense to harp on him.  well, that and the rather poor asset management.  i'm sure both sides saw what happened with Laine and Dubois and decided to YOLO the whole situation.    

This is a bit over the top to call him unprofessional. I don't think he played up to the standards we expect from him, but Rico wasn't as bad as what people are saying about him. His struggles IMO were mostly in D-zone coverage, where he was beaten quite often. That could be an effort issue, but it also could be...oh, I don't know... because they hadn't played hockey since March 11th and got cheated out of a longer training camp!?!? Anyone over 30 knows that it takes a bit longer to get that body back ready to play at a high level, and it didn't help that their first 10 games were against teams that made the summer tournament. Their first opponent (Vegas) played 21 playoff games this summer. Colorado played 16 games. Arizona and St Louis each played 10 games. That was a huge advantage over the teams that didn't get any games in. We also started the season with 67-14-33 as basically our top line, meaning that they drew the Stone/Patches line and Pietrangelo right out of the gate. That's a tough way to start the season for a 31-year-old who hasn't played a game in 10 months.  I'm actually surprised that no one brings this up before dogpiling on Rico and a few of the other older players with respect to their slow starts to this season. Also, does anyone know which of our guys have had C19? After reading about Ristolainen's experience, I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to some of these guys who have a history of being good players but who are off to poor starts. Because I'm still just puzzled by how Rico goes from scoring 26G in 71 games last season to waivers this season. You just don't lose your game that quickly outside of a major injury or illness.

• Like 3

Though the whole situation is weird, I think we do need to trade Rico regardless. We need to get younger guys, he's on the opposite side of 30. I think he's still got some decent value. 26 goals last year isn't anything to sneeze at but his contract is a problem. Maybe we could have gotten some decent value at the deadline as he could be someone that cup teams would possibly look at. We'd have to sweeten regardless but we need the cap hit off the board too. Though I wouldn't want to add too much because his play would outweigh the trade value, especially if he can still contribute goals wise. As mentioned before, salary retention to possibly get better picks or prospects. Current issues or not, he can still put up points in this league and considering he's playing on one of the worst teams in the league he could probably put up better numbers playing with guys who can actually score. 

I don't want this turning over into some crazy holdout/ trade demand situation. Something's not right but I think the trade is probably the best option. We don't have enough scorers on the team. It also doesn't help that Rico is better as a LW rather than a center. But because of our lack of center depth (or actual capable centers) we chose to play him there. The team is a mess. I don't want to tank or tear up the team, but changes need to be made and it's better to get rid of these older guys. 

We'll probably never know what went down but there's two parties to sign a contract. If BM is upset that Henrique wouldn't waive his NMC he shouldn't have put one in the contract. if Henrique refused he's just exercising his rights. If that's BM's reaction he's an even bigger doofus than I thought. It's stuff like that poisons relationships with players. 

I was always against a full blown rebuild but I don't see any other way. But BM and Eakins still have to go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I was always against a full blown rebuild but I don't see any other way

I know, everbody hoped that the retool is enough. I was always for the total rebuild and I don't see much talent from the kids, there is Comtois, Zegras, Drysdale and then? Terry and Steel who both not can score. Lundestrom looks better after the AHL-Trip. Jones is not a top 6 forward.

I don't want to be a playoff team, I want to be a contender team and that means, that you have to pick earlier in the draft (as I said, twice in the last 15 years won a team without a top 5 pick), you need at least one elite player. so better make the rebuild.

we still need some top 6 forwards and top 4 defenders for the future if we want go deep in the post season.

2 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I know, everbody hoped that the retool is enough. I was always for the total rebuild and I don't see much talent from the kids, there is Comtois, Zegras, Drysdale and then? Terry and Steel who both not can score. Lundestrom looks better after the AHL-Trip. Jones is not a top 6 forward.

I don't want to be a playoff team, I want to be a contender team and that means, that you have to pick earlier in the draft (as I said, twice in the last 15 years won a team without a top 5 pick), you need at least one elite player. so better make the rebuild.

we still need some top 6 forwards and top 4 defenders for the future if we want go deep in the post season.

I could not agree with you more we have NO sniper or unity on the team. It will not happen if BOB MURRY is at the helm. you can put his hockey IQ in a teaspoon and there will be room left. The sad story is we care and he DOES NOT and he gets paid for that. 

33 minutes ago, Joker8 said:

we have NO sniper or unity on the team. It will not happen if BOB MURRY is at the helm. you can put his hockey IQ in a teaspoon and there will be room left. The sad story is we care and he DOES NOT and he gets paid for that. 

thats why I said we still need some top 6 forwards.... and he doesn't care? he was interim coach to see what is going wrong, he made a lot of trades last deadline (I was really surprised), signed a veteran Defender (who was a good move at the time he made it, but Shatt is a disappointment till now), if that worked out, we would have good top 4 defenders and an elite goaltender. what does should he do more? I heard he tried for Dubois too, but against Laine (I believe he tried Laine too) you don't have a comparable players without giving up Drysdale, Gibson and Zegras.. and at least Gibson has more value then this two.. he drafted well and we have the last 2 seasons twice a first rounder.. it needs time, a rebuild need time! if it goes good, in 3-4 seasons we can fight for the playoffs again. you think 15-20 years on top not has an impact? the Ducks drafted almost never in the top 15 the last years before 2019, how many times? twice in the last 15 years? and one of them was a very weak draft at all (the Ritchie Draft year).

I still have faith in him. but he has to fire some assistent coaches and maybe Eakins too and to learn that we need the rebuild.

Edited by Spike1981

Freeing Cap Space is one option Ducks have But WHO do our Team Get in Return is something we need to talk About.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

55 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

thats why I said we still need some top 6 forwards.... and he doesn't care? he was interim coach to see what is going wrong, he made a lot of trades last deadline (I was really surprised), signed a veteran Defender (who was a good move at the time he made it, but Shatt is a disappointment till now), if that worked out, we would have good top 4 defenders and an elite goaltender. what does should he do more? I heard he tried for Dubois too, but against Laine (I believe he tried Laine too) you don't have a comparable players without giving up Drysdale, Gibson and Zegras.. and at least Gibson has more value then this two.. he drafted well and we have the last 2 seasons twice a first rounder.. it needs time, a rebuild need time! if it goes good, in 3-4 seasons we can fight for the playoffs again. you think 15-20 years on top not has an impact? the Ducks drafted almost never in the top 15 the last years before 2019, how many times? twice in the last 15 years? and one of them was a very weak draft at all (the Ritchie Draft year).

I still have faith in him. but he has to fire some assistent coaches and maybe Eakins too and to learn that we need the rebuild.

Peter Holland (15th) in 2009, Fowler (12th) in 2010, Lindholm (6th) in 2012, Ritchie (10th) in 2014. So four top-15s in GMBM's 10 drafts before the Zegras pick in 2019. Yes, that's harder to get superstars that way. But consider how much better this team would be if GMBM had been able to really develop the potential of some of the good young players his scouting team had identified. Kyle Palmieri (#26, 2009), William Karlsson (#53, 2011), Shea Theodore (#26, 2013), Marcus Pettersson (#38, 2014)... all given away for practically nothing.

GMBM is also responsible for the assistant coaches. He doesn't let his head coach hire his own assistants. Morrison and Wilford are GMBM hires, and Morrison (who runs our PP) is actually a holdover from the Carlyle days. He's been here since the 2017-18 season.   

13 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Peter Holland (15th) in 2009, Fowler (12th) in 2010, Lindholm (6th) in 2012, Ritchie (10th) in 2014

okay I should say top twice 10 picks:D

Holland was the only bad pick, Fowler was okay, Lindholm is our best defender. in the 2014 draft Ritchie was a good pick.

14 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Kyle Palmieri (#26, 2009), William Karlsson (#53, 2011), Shea Theodore (#26, 2013), Marcus Pettersson (#38, 2014)... all given away for practically nothing.

Theo I would do again at the moment of the deal. 2 of the 3 others were bad moves, Karlsson was bad also in Columbus, his career started in Vegas, you can't imagine that Vegas bring out Theo and Karlsson like that...

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

GMBM is also responsible for the assistant coaches. He doesn't let his head coach hire his own assistants. Morrison and Wilford are GMBM hires, and Morrison (who runs our PP) is actually a holdover from the Carlyle days. He's been here since the 2017-18 season.   

thats a move he has to do, fire at least the PP coach.

12 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is a bit over the top to call him unprofessional. I don't think he played up to the standards we expect from him, but Rico wasn't as bad as what people are saying about him. His struggles IMO were mostly in D-zone coverage, where he was beaten quite often. That could be an effort issue, but it also could be...oh, I don't know... because they hadn't played hockey since March 11th and got cheated out of a longer training camp!?!? Anyone over 30 knows that it takes a bit longer to get that body back ready to play at a high level, and it didn't help that their first 10 games were against teams that made the summer tournament. Their first opponent (Vegas) played 21 playoff games this summer. Colorado played 16 games. Arizona and St Louis each played 10 games. That was a huge advantage over the teams that didn't get any games in. We also started the season with 67-14-33 as basically our top line, meaning that they drew the Stone/Patches line and Pietrangelo right out of the gate. That's a tough way to start the season for a 31-year-old who hasn't played a game in 10 months.  I'm actually surprised that no one brings this up before dogpiling on Rico and a few of the other older players with respect to their slow starts to this season. Also, does anyone know which of our guys have had C19? After reading about Ristolainen's experience, I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to some of these guys who have a history of being good players but who are off to poor starts. Because I'm still just puzzled by how Rico goes from scoring 26G in 71 games last season to waivers this season. You just don't lose your game that quickly outside of a major injury or illness.

Sorry but I just don't buy this. He's supposed to be a professional athlete, and he wasn't ready to go even with a shortened training camp? That is ridiculous. He looks worse than Getzlaf and Backes and they are both at least 4 years older than Henrique.

I don't get what's happened to Henrique (and Silfverberg to a lesser extent) but to explain it away because of a short training camp is weak sauce.

• Like 2

Is Henrique still with the team? I know he is on the taxi squad but is he still practicing with them? Or is he waiting for a trade?

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Sorry but I just don't buy this. He's supposed to be a professional athlete, and he wasn't ready to go even with a shortened training camp? That is ridiculous. He looks worse than Getzlaf and Backes and they are both at least 4 years older than Henrique.

I don't get what's happened to Henrique (and Silfverberg to a lesser extent) but to explain it away because of a short training camp is weak sauce.

If you think it was strictly an effort or conditioning issue, then I see why you don't buy it. But it looked to me like it was only a small part effort (and that part just looked like he was discouraged, not lazy) and a large part other issues related to timing, role, cohesiveness, and sometimes just bad luck. That larger part I can blame at least partly on the 10 months off. The team overall started very out-of-sync IMO, and it seemed like every time Rico was a half step slow to a spot or with his stick during the first 6-7 games, the puck was in the back of the net. If you go back and watch all of his minuses from the first 10 or so games, I'd say a majority of those were also due to really poor play from the defenders, but somehow Rico was the only veteran who bore any consequences. Seriously, go back and watch his -3 against St Louis that led directly to his first scratch, and tell me that he's the guy who needed to sit after that 6-1 debacle instead of Flower or Shattenkirk. I also found it odd (and maybe Rico did too) that HCDE went to him early this season as a penalty killer (Rico-Silf as the second forward pair after Rowney-Grant) when Rico has never really had that as a primary responsibility, at least not as a Duck. Rico had a team-leading 4:19 of PK TOI in the 3rd game against Minnesota (highest among all forwards) and he's still 3rd among forwards on the team in PK TOI/game even after being scratched and waived (compare with Steel's 0:06 PK TOI/game <_<). He also drew an awful lot of tough assignments early on this season, including the first two games against the Stone/Patches line in Vegas. I believe that change in role from being the team's top goal scorer to a more defensive role likely had an impact on Rico's overall game, and coupled with the long layoff, his mediocre offensive performance, and generally poor play from everyone around him, Rico just had a really rough start to the season. But I can't help but wonder if things might look a bit different if Eakins hadn't singled just him out and had benched or scratched other vets like Fowler, Shattenkirk, and especially Larsson for their crappy play. Lord knows there are other guys who deserved to sit too, not just Henrique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

If you think it was strictly an effort or conditioning issue, then I see why you don't buy it. But it looked to me like it was only a small part effort (and that part just looked like he was discouraged, not lazy) and a large part other issues related to timing, role, cohesiveness, and sometimes just bad luck. That larger part I can blame at least partly on the 10 months off. The team overall started very out-of-sync IMO, and it seemed like every time Rico was a half step slow to a spot or with his stick during the first 6-7 games, the puck was in the back of the net. If you go back and watch all of his minuses from the first 10 or so games, I'd say a majority of those were also due to really poor play from the defenders, but somehow Rico was the only veteran who bore any consequences. Seriously, go back and watch his -3 against St Louis that led directly to his first scratch, and tell me that he's the guy who needed to sit after that 6-1 debacle instead of Flower or Shattenkirk. I also found it odd (and maybe Rico did too) that HCDE went to him early this season as a penalty killer (Rico-Silf as the second forward pair after Rowney-Grant) when Rico has never really had that as a primary responsibility, at least not as a Duck. Rico had a team-leading 4:19 of PK TOI in the 3rd game against Minnesota (highest among all forwards) and he's still 3rd among forwards on the team in PK TOI/game even after being scratched and waived (compare with Steel's 0:06 PK TOI/game <_<). He also drew an awful lot of tough assignments early on this season, including the first two games against the Stone/Patches line in Vegas. I believe that change in role from being the team's top goal scorer to a more defensive role likely had an impact on Rico's overall game, and coupled with the long layoff, his mediocre offensive performance, and generally poor play from everyone around him, Rico just had a really rough start to the season. But I can't help but wonder if things might look a bit different if Eakins hadn't singled just him out and had benched or scratched other vets like Fowler, Shattenkirk, and especially Larsson for their crappy play. Lord knows there are other guys who deserved to sit too, not just Henrique.

I can get behind your reasoning here. He was being used in a more defensive role than he was used to and didn't put it together. I also can't disagree that there were others that also deserve to be scratched. Shattenkirk and Larsson especially have been awful for 90% of the season and Henrique has been singled out.

Originally I didn't really have a problem with waiving Henrique but that's because I was thinking emotionally, basically glad that something in this crappy team was going to change. But taking a step back it is really ridiculous to waive your leading scorer from the year prior after 16 games. I also feel like he would have worked his way out of it eventually, but now Murray has basically burned that bridge with the player and he probably wants out. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nieder said:

Originally I didn't really have a problem with waiving Henrique but that's because I was thinking emotionally, basically glad that something in this crappy team was going to change. But taking a step back it is really ridiculous to waive your leading scorer from the year prior after 16 games. I also feel like he would have worked his way out of it eventually, but now Murray has basically burned that bridge with the player and he probably wants out. 

100% this.

• Like 1

i'm wondering more and more how many team decisions BM is directing from afar.  if we're not in the Pond, we can't see him make the phone calls/texts from up in the rafters.

the only excuse i can think of for not sitting the Shatt, especially once Lind and Manson are back, is that BM is forcing the Shatt to be played in hopes he's up to snuff for a trade or shuffle off at the ED (assuming Seattle is going to take some players purely to make the cap min).

hell, at this point, i'd sit the Shatt just to give him some extra rest - he looked super poooped more than a few times last night, and not just because of long shifts.  the timing of games is brutal on everyone, and, just FYI, i initially thought Hank was sat the first time in order give him some rest...  the broadcasters seemed to say that only about that time did the team stop trying to practice between games (except for longer spells between games), so i thought that maybe they were going to rotate the vets through healthy scratches to keep the wear and tear down.  i felt that way, but not so much anymore.  they've said they've minimized practices during short turn arounds between games, so really we have to start comparing against other players on other teams... and even discounting the teams that played deep into the playoffs, Hank appears to be having issues that need to be addressed from within Hank. 

A little of topic but at beginning of this year the Kings looked like they would be fighting us for better draft choices.

Seems like they surprisingly  have turned things around a little better then the Ducks. Who would have thought they would be on a 5 game winning streak and looking to get into the playoffs.

Considering how many games we have with them at end of the season I really wonder who is going to be more motivated to WIN them. Just a passing thought watching games in this short and for us an ugly season.

Would love to see Getz get on a team that had a decent shot in the playoffs. Have watched him for so many years and believe that he deserves another shot at the Cup with a legit team.

Watched Cory shoot in overtime tonight .Good shot but no goal. Would def be fun to watch him and Getz in the playoffs.---Probably just a little wishful thinking but us old goats are allowed a few of those..

12 hours ago, Arvydas Cieminis said:

A little of topic but at beginning of this year the Kings looked like they would be fighting us for better draft choices.

Seems like they surprisingly  have turned things around a little better then the Ducks. Who would have thought they would be on a 5 game winning streak and looking to get into the playoffs.

Considering how many games we have with them at end of the season I really wonder who is going to be more motivated to WIN them. Just a passing thought watching games in this short and for us an ugly season.

Would love to see Getz get on a team that had a decent shot in the playoffs. Have watched him for so many years and believe that he deserves another shot at the Cup with a legit team.

Watched Cory shoot in overtime tonight .Good shot but no goal. Would def be fun to watch him and Getz in the playoffs.---Probably just a little wishful thinking but us old goats are allowed a few of those..

They won their last 7 games before covid ended their season and have good young players contributing. LA can score (Dustin Brown of all people leads them in goals) but couldn’t stop shooting themselves in the foot with breakdowns and Quick really struggled early on this year. Goaltending has improved and they cleaned up their defense a bit which is why they are on a tear right now. Seems like it took a while for things to click but they are definitely in the playoff race.

LA is the team of the future in the western conference along with Colorado, imo. They committed to a rebuild and shipped out players rather than extend them. I’ve been at the point to where the Ducks need an overhaul and blow up this roster along with management, coaching and development personnel along with actually committing to a rebuild if we are going to compete with them. Otherwise, we can’t be surprised when they are good, fun to watch and making deep playoff runs while we just watch on.
Hopefully the Ducks start at this trade deadline or the off-season, but I now have less than no faith in this organization going forward with Murray calling the shots.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

40 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

They won their last 7 games before covid ended their season and have good young players contributing. LA can score (Dustin Brown of all people leads them in goals) but couldn’t stop shooting themselves in the foot with breakdowns and Quick really struggled early on this year. Goaltending has improved and they cleaned up their defense a bit which is why they are on a tear right now. Seems like it took a while for things to click but they are definitely in the playoff race.

LA is the team of the future in the western conference along with Colorado, imo. They committed to a rebuild and shipped out players rather than extend them. I’ve been at the point to where the Ducks need an overhaul and blow up this roster along with management, coaching and development personnel along with actually committing to a rebuild if we are going to compete with them. Otherwise, we can’t be surprised when they are good, fun to watch and making deep playoff runs while we just watch on.
Hopefully the Ducks start at this trade deadline or the off-season, but I now have less than no faith in this organization going forward with Murray calling the shots.

Well, the Kings still have Kopitar till he's 36, Brown till he's 37, Carter till he's 37, Doughty till he's 37, Quick till he's 37.... so it's not exactly like they "blew up their core." To me the Kings success sounds way more like a coaching issue than a GM issue. There's no reason they should have thought that Brown and Quick will be performing the way they are. Our veterans, who are younger and should currently be in better spots in their career SHOULD be out performing the Kings veterans. But they're not.

On paper you would think Rico, Silf, Rakell, Getz, Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Gibson etc...would be outperforming Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Doughty, Iafallo, Quick etc...

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Well, the Kings still have Kopitar till he's 36, Brown till he's 37, Carter till he's 37, Doughty till he's 37, Quick till he's 37.... so it's not exactly like they "blew up their core." To me the Kings success sounds way more like a coaching issue than a GM issue. There's no reason they should have thought that Brown and Quick will be performing the way they are. Our veterans, who are younger and should currently be in better spots in their career SHOULD be out performing the Kings veterans. But they're not.

On paper you would think Rico, Silf, Rakell, Getz, Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Gibson etc...would be outperforming Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Doughty, Iafallo, Quick etc...

The Kings locked in Brown and Quick after they had won the first cup and Doughty/Kopitar after the second. Carter was signed by Philly and then traded. Giving players Golden parachute contracts after they brought them two cups is something I don’t think teams would complain about doing lol.

LA has traded Toffoli (who had a 30 goal season), Muzzin, Martínez, Pearson, Campbell, Forbort in the past two years. They didn’t try to force a window open that wasn’t there and harm their long-term future. They traded good assets at the right time and got value in return. In contrast, the Ducks extended Henrique and Silfverberg to nice contracts during that time. Kase and Montour getting traded had other plausible factors besides being done towards a rebuild and Kase was one of the Ducks best forwards. (Injury concern and being salty by going to arbitration). It’s why Ducks’ decisions with Rakell, Manson and Lindholm are so crucial going forward. Do they get extended? If not, then what’s the return and direction that they go?

The Kings coaching staff is definitely superior to the Ducks and so is there development staff. Iafallo is a solid player and so is Lizotte who both went undrafted. Vilardi looks like a legit NHLer and we all know about their prospect pool. Outside of goaltending, they are just better in pretty much every facet than the Ducks are.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

21 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Kings locked in Brown and Quick after they had won the first cup and Doughty/Kopitar after the second. Carter was signed by Philly and then traded. Giving players Golden parachute contracts after they brought them two cups is something I don’t think teams would complain about doing lol.

LA has traded Toffoli (who had a 30 goal season), Muzzin, Martínez, Pearson, Campbell, Forbort in the past two years. They didn’t try to force a window open that wasn’t there and harm their long-term future. They traded good assets at the right time and got value in return. In contrast, the Ducks extended Henrique and Silfverberg to nice contracts during that time. That’s why Ducks’ decisions with Rakell, Manson and Lindholm are so crucial going forward. Do they get extended? If not, then what’s the return and direction that they go?

The Kings coaching staff is definitely superior to the Ducks and so is there development staff. Iafallo is a solid player and so is Lizotte who both went undrafted. Vilardi looks like a legit NHLer and we all know about their prospect pool. Outside of goaltending, they are just better in pretty much every facet than the Ducks are.

haha that's fair that's fair...yeah the Toffoli trade was pretty big. And Muzzin and Martinez...campbell, too. I see what you're saying though.

I'm not really against the Rico and Silfv extensions. Same with Kesler and obviously the Getz/Perry ones, too. They shouldn't be underperforming right now the way they are. We'll see how the kings feel about their extensions later. But they have a great prospect pool that may make it easier for them to handle those. Also, if they don't get injured and need hip surgery or suddenly lose their hands...or mysteriously stop being good suddenly.

I think our team looks better and good enough with better coaching staff to the point where I don't think we'd be as upset right now. If we just kept Yawney.......

FUN FACT!!! Trent Yawney is an assistant coach for the Kings...just learned about this.................shocking.................... 😖

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It’s why Ducks’ decisions with Rakell, Manson and Lindholm are so crucial going forward. Do they get extended? If not, then what’s the return and direction that they go?

I'd let Rakell go, and either Manson or Lindholm, but not both.

Rakell's performance the last 2-3 seasons doesn't warrant an extension.  IMO.

17 hours ago, Fisix said:

i'm wondering more and more how many team decisions BM is directing from afar.  if we're not in the Pond, we can't see him make the phone calls/texts from up in the rafters.

the only excuse i can think of for not sitting the Shatt, especially once Lind and Manson are back, is that BM is forcing the Shatt to be played in hopes he's up to snuff for a trade or shuffle off at the ED (assuming Seattle is going to take some players purely to make the cap min).

hell, at this point, i'd sit the Shatt just to give him some extra rest - he looked super poooped more than a few times last night, and not just because of long shifts.  the timing of games is brutal on everyone, and, just FYI, i initially thought Hank was sat the first time in order give him some rest...  the broadcasters seemed to say that only about that time did the team stop trying to practice between games (except for longer spells between games), so i thought that maybe they were going to rotate the vets through healthy scratches to keep the wear and tear down.  i felt that way, but not so much anymore.  they've said they've minimized practices during short turn arounds between games, so really we have to start comparing against other players on other teams... and even discounting the teams that played deep into the playoffs, Hank appears to be having issues that need to be addressed from within Hank. 

When was it that he told us that he was too hands off and was going to be more involved in the day-to-day stuff? Was that last summer? The summer before? They're all running together at this point for me.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 1