Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
gilligoos

Lukas Dostal

Recommended Posts

As Zegras deserves all the accolades  and being a future star for the franchise, I think we should also look forward to the immense talent that Dostal will bring to the franchise. He's and outstanding young goalie who's played 3 great games for the Gulls so far. He's only 20 years old, and for the last 2.5 years played against men in the Finnish Elite league as an 18/19 year old. His GAA is less than 2.00 during those years...I would consider the league as maybe the 3rd/4th best pro league outside of the NHL, but considering his age playing against men and flat out dominating says something about his talent.

Edited by gilligoos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gilligoos said:

As Zegras deserves all the accolades  and being a future star for the franchise, I think we should also look forward to the immense talent that Dostal will bring to the franchise. He's and outstanding young goalie who's played 3 great games for the Gulls so far. He's only 20 years old, and for the last 2.5 years played against men in the Finnish Elite league as an 18/19 year old. His GAA is less than 2.00 during those years...I would consider the league as maybe the 3rd/4th best pro league outside of the NHL, but considering his age playing against men and flat out dominating says something about his talent.

I was just about to come here and post about how long I wonder Dostal forces himself onto the roster. Pretty crazy that over 30 some years the Ducks have practically never had bad goaltending 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, how Ducks organization berried him in the minors. All what I hear from the Ducks is that he is still "young". Vladislav Tretiak was only 20 y/o when he held his ground against powerful Canada team in 1972 Summit Games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Interesting, how Ducks organization berried him in the minors. All what I hear from the Ducks is that he is still "young". Vladislav Tretiak was only 20 y/o when he held his ground against powerful Canada team in 1972 Summit Games.

Tretiak is also regarded as one of the best goaltenders in history lol. John Gibson came onto to the scene for the Ducks in the 2014 playoffs at age 20 but wasn’t the full on starter until age 23 after Andersen got traded. Even then, Gibson played 70 games over 3 seasons in the AHL. Dostal might get a few games in the NHL this year if he keeps playing like this, especially if there are injury/covid issues. He’s going to need quite a bit more time in the AHL before he’s a back-up and NHL mainstay let alone supplanting one of the best goalies in the league. My guess would be 2023 at the earliest if he’s that good. That said, the kid has been great to start and as the OP said, he’s only been overshadowed by Zegras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Tretiak is also regarded as one of the best goaltenders in history lol. John Gibson came onto to the scene for the Ducks in the 2014 playoffs at age 20 but wasn’t the full on starter until age 23 after Andersen got traded. Even then, Gibson played 70 games over 3 seasons in the AHL. Dostal might get a few games in the NHL this year if he keeps playing like this, especially if there are injury/covid issues. He’s going to need quite a bit more time in the AHL before he’s a back-up and NHL mainstay let alone supplanting one of the best goalies in the league. My guess would be 2023 at the earliest if he’s that good. That said, the kid has been great to start and as the OP said, he’s only been overshadowed by Zegras.

Gibson also had a lot of issues when he first entered the league. His stats in his first games were great but technically he was all over the place. I don't have an issue with Dostal getting some games this year but it's pretty rare for a 20 year old to be a regular NHL goaltender. The plan could be to give him one AHL season and then come up as the back up next season when Miller retires.

8 hours ago, Sexlaf15 said:

I was just about to come here and post about how long I wonder Dostal forces himself onto the roster. Pretty crazy that over 30 some years the Ducks have practically never had bad goaltending 

This is the one thing this franchise has always gotten right. Imagine being a team like Philadelphia that has been searching for a goalie since Hextall retired. We have really been spoiled with good goaltenders.

Edited by nieder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nieder said:

This is the one thing this franchise has always gotten right. Imagine being a team like Philadelphia that has been searching for a goalie since Hextall retired. We have really been spoiled with good goaltenders.

We have...and it's kind of phenomenal haha 

But also man, look at teams like Montreal (Roy), New Jersey (Brodeur), Colorado (Roy), Detroit (Hasek, Osgood)...it took Montreal basically TWO DECADES to finally get a real solid goalie after Roy...New Jersey? I'd say still looking...although I've hard Blackwood is good, but I'm not convinced yet...Colorado...I'd say still looking...we'll see how Grubauer can do -- not convinced. Detroit....*shrug* they are struggling lol

Curious to see how the Kings do after Quick...

Buffalo did have Miller after Hasek...but since Miller??? So it's obviously not always bad, but having a world-class, record breaking, face of franchise goalie seems to just really hurt you after they retire or leave...it takes time. ...except for us haha 

Philly with Hextal....Hart is probably it. What is that? almost 3 decades later???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

John Gibson came onto to the scene for the Ducks in the 2014 playoffs at age 20

Yeah, and that was a rough first game haha sure it was shutout...but I think the Ducks went 30 minutes without a shot on goal?????? I don't think anyone would have really liked to have seen Gibson make that sort of debut lol but it was pretty epic haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...