The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Fire Murray and Eakins ´protest´

Is there any way to voice our concern over the direction our team is going in? Can somebody put up  a banner or something at Honda Center to call for BM´s and DE´s jobs? 

This team is going nowhere. Bob Murray is doing a horrible job. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. He calls out the players while his coach choices have been questionable to say the least.

Eakins is in over his head. This team is playing bad hockey plain and simple. If not for our excellent goalies we´d give the wings a run for their money. 

The problem now is we can´t show our frustration during the games so it seems we don´t care. But I´ve had it with Murray and Eakins. 

• Like 2

I'm not a Bob Murray fan. But I don't know what options he or any GM have at this point. Add in Covid and it is already a fubar season. You also have to remember there is an expansion draft coming this summer. If you think back to the season before the Vegas draft Murray sat on his hands. He did that because he already had his set of protected players. Same applies here. Why make any big trades or signings if those players might get picked off by Seattle? Better to sit on your hands and let the expansion draft shake out. Then see what the landscape looks like.

I try to be a cup half full person, but last night was pathetic. After 30 minutes we had 4 shots on goal. FOUR. That's abysmal and there's no excuse. I was totally bored watching them. I've been a SSH since day one, and all I was thinking was I'm glad I don't have to drive to the arena to watch this team play. I shook my head watching their 5 on 3 PP. Keep Zegras and Drysdale down with the Gulls. They're playing exciting hockey. They don't need to be exposed to the 💩show this team is right now. 

• Like 4

All teams are in the same position, and expansion draft is not an excuse for terrible management, mishandling young players and signing bad contracts with aging players. In fact, I would expose anybody from our forward group with the exception of Comtois and, maybe, Rakell. 

As far as Bob Murray, I am ready to sign any petition online for his dismissal. He is just as bad as Pierre Gauthier was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Keep Zegras and Drysdale down with the Gulls. They're playing exciting hockey. They don't need to be exposed to the 💩show this team is right now.

Or maybe we just need a major switch. Bring up the majority of the Gulls team and Dineen and put down to SD the majority of this Ducks team and Eakins.

Or, scratch that. Switch coaching staffs, bring up Drysdale and Zegras and some others. And trade players to make room for them, or send them back.

Or, scratch that. Just switch the coaching staffs and bring up Z and Drysdale.

It's absolutely a missmangement of assets if the Gulls are getting a Stanley Cup winning PP coach....and the Ducks are getting the coaching systems of a fringe AHL coaching staff.

7 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

Is there any way to voice our concern over the direction our team is going in? Can somebody put up  a banner or something at Honda Center to call for BM´s and DE´s jobs? 

This team is going nowhere. Bob Murray is doing a horrible job. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. He calls out the players while his coach choices have been questionable to say the least.

Eakins is in over his head. This team is playing bad hockey plain and simple. If not for our excellent goalies we´d give the wings a run for their money. 

The problem now is we can´t show our frustration during the games so it seems we don´t care. But I´ve had it with Murray and Eakins. 

Personally I think the problem is more about BM then DE....imho....Willful Stubborness of Bob not to ensure a Blockbuster Trade....is his weakness as for Dallas. He is doing the best he can...HOWEVER I feel this team is still going through the R/R(Rebuild and Rejvunation)...Phase. who knows what will happen however Something's gotta give.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Or maybe we just need a major switch. Bring up the majority of the Gulls team and Dineen and put down to SD the majority of this Ducks team and Eakins.

Or, scratch that. Switch coaching staffs, bring up Drysdale and Zegras and some others. And trade players to make room for them, or send them back.

It's absolutely a missmangement of assets if the Gulls are getting a Stanley Cup winning PP coach....and the Ducks are getting the coaching systems of a fringe AHL coaching staff.

To be fair, the Gulls haven't exactly played the cream of the AHL crop. Yes, the Gulls are 6-0, but their opponents are 1-11-2 with 3 of their wins coming against Bakersfield (0-5). They play at Bakersfield tonight, home against Colorado (0-2-1) on Saturday, THEN play 3 games at Henderson (Vegas AHL team). Henderson is 4-0, with 17GF and 5GA. Those 3 games against Henderson will give us a better idea of how good the Gulls actually are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dukitup said:

To be fair, the Gulls haven't exactly played the cream of the AHL crop. Yes, the Gulls are 6-0, but their opponents are 1-11-2 with 3 of their wins coming against Bakersfield (0-5). They play at Bakersfield tonight, home against Colorado (0-2-1) on Saturday, THEN play 3 games at Henderson (Vegas AHL team). Henderson is 4-0, with 17GF and 5GA. Those 3 games against Henderson will give us a better idea of how good the Gulls actually are.

to be faaaaiiiir....but got it. that game saturday and the next 3 games will be super exciting to watch it sounds like!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Would you bet your life that current Ducks squad would can beat current Gulls squad? I wouldn't ....

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Would you bet your life that current Ducks squad would can beat current Gulls squad? I wouldn't ....

Current Gulls/baby Ducks Squad would push the current Ducks to the Limit...youth energy and eagerness is boundless.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

All teams are in the same position, and expansion draft is not an excuse for terrible management, mishandling young players and signing bad contracts with aging players. In fact, I would expose anybody from our forward group with the exception of Comtois and, maybe, Rakell. 

As far as Bob Murray, I am ready to sign any petition online for his dismissal. He is just as bad as Pierre Gauthier was.

I never said it was an excuse. I am saying that's a major reason why nothing significant will change with the current roster or coaching staff until AFTER the draft. 

I'm not happy about it but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

to be faaaaiiiir....but got it. that game saturday and the next 3 games will be super exciting to watch it sounds like!

To BE FaaaiR

• Haha 1

I  just "don't understand"...if BM thought this team was gonna make a push for the playoffs...and...so far, over a quarter of the way in...a coach with a terrible career record so far has the team at .441 win pct%....last in the division... then...why isn't the coach fired? Or the assistants fired? Or Sutter fired??

I guess I look at them being the issue way more than suddenly Silfv and Rico forgot how to score goals.

At least the kids are starting to look better. I'd be very curious what the players think of this coaching staff...if only there was a way to know what they candidly thought.

5 hours ago, dukitup said:

I try to be a cup half full person, but last night was pathetic. After 30 minutes we had 4 shots on goal. FOUR. That's abysmal and there's no excuse. I was totally bored watching them. I've been a SSH since day one, and all I was thinking was I'm glad I don't have to drive to the arena to watch this team play. I shook my head watching their 5 on 3 PP. Keep Zegras and Drysdale down with the Gulls. They're playing exciting hockey. They don't need to be exposed to the 💩show this team is right now. 

An empty arena woud be a strong signal that the fans are fed up but all arenas are empty 🤨

We´ll just have to wait it out and hope BM makes a move after the expansion draft. 

Let´s hope Gibson doesn´t lose his patience and that this team starts playing a whole lot better. Preferably get some results along the way.

1 hour ago, DucksFan_08 said:

An empty arena woud be a strong signal that the fans are fed up but all arenas are empty

consider that done! lol maybe we just did it backwards...instead of playing poorly then having an empty arena....the ducks see the empty arena and think well, i guess we're supposed to play poorly now.

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

An empty arena woud be a strong signal that the fans are fed up but all arenas are empty 🤨

We´ll just have to wait it out and hope BM makes a move after the expansion draft. 

Let´s hope Gibson doesn´t lose his patience and that this team starts playing a whole lot better. Preferably get some results along the way.

It’s frustrating but it’s not like the Ducks are playing terrible hockey recently, at compared what we’ve seen before, imo. They can’t score due to a combination of bad puck luck, coaching and don’t have enough finishers. No one likes it when their team is in the basement, playing badly and rebuilding but it’s going to take time before things significantly turn around even if you fire Murray and the coaching staff today. Imo, the Ducks need more stud talent in the organization before a major leap happens, which isn’t an easy or a quick fix. Next season, I’m sure fans are going to want to see Zegras and possibly Drysdale play at the Pond even if they aren’t contending.

5 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I  just "don't understand"...if BM thought this team was gonna make a push for the playoffs...and...so far, over a quarter of the way in...a coach with a terrible career record so far has the team at .441 win pct%....last in the division... then...why isn't the coach fired? Or the assistants fired? Or Sutter fired??

I guess I look at them being the issue way more than suddenly Silfv and Rico forgot how to score goals.

At least the kids are starting to look better. I'd be very curious what the players think of this coaching staff...if only there was a way to know what they candidly thought.

My guess would be because he still has the backing of ownership, who doesn’t want to pay for two GM’s and Eakins not to coach during a pandemic season with. No better season to be awful than when there are no fans to watch the team also. Still was a bold move by Murray to set high expectations for this season that no one else in the hockey works was doing lol.

i still think a coaching change is premature, and it doesn't really get to the issue that the players don't do enough with what they're given.  whether it's a directive from BM or even just from Eakins, the players need to find it within themselves to buy into the game plan, even a Dehydrated Donkey Dungty one (in their opinion), every practice, every game.  

some of the players are there, but a lot of them aren't.  sadly, the skaters that seem to be bucking the most are the ones that are paid the most.  that's... just plain bullDehydrated Donkey Dung, and a coaching change will just feed that kind of lack of self responsibility, not counter it.

could a coach like torts maybe do a better job at publicly shaming the vets into acting more like vets?  sure - there's always some fantasy-land perfect matchup of player and coach personalities somewhere over the rainbow that could drag some self-respect out of recalcitrant players... but you can't bring in a new coach every time a particular group of players thinks it's not worth their time to show up at their job.  it's a negative feedback loop of diminishing returns... i certainly wouldn't spend money on a fantasy coach trying to make this present group of vets happy - they need to show more consistency - even in the quarantimes, even during the rebuild, even in a shortened season, and especially with the coach hand picked by the GM.  

we could have a pretty interesting and detailed discussion about the PP failures - coaching or players.  it's probably the most worrisome from a coaching standpoint, but i keep asking myself: what's the boundary between what the coach does and what the players do, and who isn't performing?  if i look at the 5x5 play, it's clearly the players not showing up (when they look as bad as last night).  it's very hard for me to believe that the players are magically performing with consistency in the PP and the coaching strategy is more to blame.

separate from all that... i guess you can keep griping about it, but neither BM nor Eakins are getting the boot this season.  it makes no business sense, unless they can pick someone up cheap, and i'm not sure we want 'cheap' as a replacement for either.  more to the point... of the two separate groups, admin or players, i think the admin is more deserving of our support than the players right now, or at least the skating vets.  maybe the fans can convince the players to show up more.  i'd be interested in ways to be pushing for higher performance than for screaming for firings and blood all the time.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

i still think a coaching change is premature, and it doesn't really get to the issue that the players don't do enough with what they're given.  whether it's a directive from BM or even just from Eakins, the players need to find it within themselves to buy into the game plan, even a Dehydrated Donkey Dungty one (in their opinion), every practice, every game.  

some of the players are there, but a lot of them aren't.  sadly, the skaters that seem to be bucking the most are the ones that are paid the most.  that's... just plain bullDehydrated Donkey Dung, and a coaching change will just feed that kind of lack of self responsibility, not counter it.

could a coach like torts maybe do a better job at publicly shaming the vets into acting more like vets?  sure - there's always some fantasy-land perfect matchup of player and coach personalities somewhere over the rainbow that could drag some self-respect out of recalcitrant players... but you can't bring in a new coach every time a particular group of players thinks it's not worth their time to show up at their job.  it's a negative feedback loop of diminishing returns... i certainly wouldn't spend money on a fantasy coach trying to make this present group of vets happy - they need to show more consistency - even in the quarantimes, even during the rebuild, even in a shortened season, and especially with the coach hand picked by the GM.  

we could have a pretty interesting and detailed discussion about the PP failures - coaching or players.  it's probably the most worrisome from a coaching standpoint, but i keep asking myself: what's the boundary between what the coach does and what the players do, and who isn't performing?  if i look at the 5x5 play, it's clearly the players not showing up (when they look as bad as last night).  it's very hard for me to believe that the players are magically performing with consistency in the PP and the coaching strategy is more to blame.

separate from all that... i guess you can keep griping about it, but neither BM nor Eakins are getting the boot this season.  it makes no business sense, unless they can pick someone up cheap, and i'm not sure we want 'cheap' as a replacement for either.  more to the point... of the two separate groups, admin or players, i think the admin is more deserving of our support than the players right now, or at least the skating vets.  maybe the fans can convince the players to show up more.  i'd be interested in ways to be pushing for higher performance than for screaming for firings and blood all the time.  

Question: What do Craig Berube, Mike Sullivan, Darryl Sutter, Dan Bylsma and Larry Robinson have in common?

Answer: They all won Stanley Cups after replacing a fired coach during the season. That's a full 1/4 of the past 20 champions who fired their coach during the season. I don't think for a moment that this team has SC potential, but its just wrong to say that firing a coach midseason feeds a lack of self-responsibility in the room. It does the exact opposite in nearly every situation, and sometimes it can even spark a team to go on an incredible run.

I also still place blame on the coaches for putting the Ducks players in situations where they can't succeed. The schemes are bad. The lineup and line choices are bad. The matchups are horrid (Grantzlaf v. MacKinnon.. yeesh!). This is no different than a D-coordinator in football creating a bad coverage scheme that can't stop the opponent's passing game, or a baseball manager who does a terrible job managing his bullpen. You can have the talent and the will, but if the coach doesn't put the athletes in a position to succeed, they're not going to succeed. And eventually they're going to lose faith in the process.  The body language and effort level of this team coming out of the 2nd intermission when they're behind says it all IMO. They just don't believe that they're going to win. And when a team doesn't believe it can win, it's time for a new voice. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Question: What do Craig Berube, Mike Sullivan, Darryl Sutter, Dan Bylsma and Larry Robinson have in common?

Answer: They all won Stanley Cups after replacing a fired coach during the season. That's a full 1/4 of the past 20 champions who fired their coach during the season. I don't think for a moment that this team has SC potential, but its just wrong to say that firing a coach midseason feeds a lack of self-responsibility in the room. It does the exact opposite in nearly every situation, and sometimes it can even spark a team to go on an incredible run.

I also still place blame on the coaches for putting the Ducks players in situations where they can't succeed. The schemes are bad. The lineup and line choices are bad. The matchups are horrid (Grantzlaf v. MacKinnon.. yeesh!). This is no different than a D-coordinator in football creating a bad coverage scheme that can't stop the opponent's passing game, or a baseball manager who does a terrible job managing his bullpen. You can have the talent and the will, but if the coach doesn't put the athletes in a position to succeed, they're not going to succeed. And eventually they're going to lose faith in the process.  The body language and effort level of this team coming out of the 2nd intermission when they're behind says it all IMO. They just don't believe that they're going to win. And when a team doesn't believe it can win, it's time for a new voice. 

if this team hadn't gone through 3 coaches with the same player MO, then i'd be with you.  maybe there's a fine line between good players being mismanaged and entitled players trying to leverage a different coach (and new GM?) and maybe a different playing style with bad play, but it doesn't feel like a fine line here, and i see most of our vets being on the wrong side.

if there's one thing i think we can agree on, BB somehow got almost all the players to buy into his line changes and perform, at least during the regular season, up until the end.  and, some of his line changes were just as erratic seeming as Eakins were last night, one major difference being that the players now just don't put forth the effort they did for BB, and that's just self defeating.  i mean, we did a decent job with Vegas, and now we're playing the Wild, who are 20 out of 31 NHL teams (points percentage - they've only played 13 games) vs. the top 5 Vegas team... i don't care how badly Eakins messes with the lineup, the vets shouldn't have zeros across the board in a well rested game like that, and we shouldn't expect it of them.

you want to side with the players.  what have they done for us recently that makes you want to do that?  we're talking at least 1/4 of the roster, and well more than half the salary spend, being lazy on the ice.  i just can't back players who do that.  or, to be more precise, i won't back these players doing it 2-3 head coaches in a row.  i still need a solid 15-20 games in a row where they make a consistent effort to act like NHL vets before i start believing any coach will make them happy and/or perform like a competitive NHL team.

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well, the Gulls are getting pumped 5-1 by Bakersfield. Should be a nice teachable moment going into tomorrow’s game.

oof.  Zegras isn't even mentioned in the game recap that's up now.  i don't see any game stats yet, but that'll be an interesting review.

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

oof.  Zegras isn't even mentioned in the game recap that's up now.  i don't see any game stats yet, but that'll be an interesting review.

He had two or three nice plays in the game but not much outside of that but it was just an awful game from the Gulls. Zegras has been fine overall but him dominating the AHL has been halted a bit since the Reign game. Hopefully, it will calm down the masses who wanted him with the Ducks right after the WJC. He's still getting adjusted and figuring the pro game out. 

Tracey wasn't in the lineup which wasn't shocking because he's been pretty invisible in the game he's played for the most part. He seems to struggle at the pro pace. One a positive note, Jacob Perreault could be one of my favorite players down the road. A guy with wheels, a shot and a Corey Perry type ability of antagonizing the entire opposing team while being tough as nails.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

And eventually they're going to lose faith in the process.  The body language and effort level of this team coming out of the 2nd intermission when they're behind says it all IMO. They just don't believe that they're going to win. And when a team doesn't believe it can win, it's time for a new voice. 

This exactly. At a certain point when you have your boss (aka the coach) telling you to do something you feel is very much a bad idea or wrong or will not be the way to succeed...you either push back (aka be a "problem player") or you do it and let it fail. If you're gonna do it and let it fail...you're not NOT trying...the plan is set-up to fail, not intentionally, but from a boss (aka coach) who doesn't know what he is doing. And that is demoralizing when you know what is wrong and how it can be fixed but you aren't allowed to fix it.

The more and more I look at it...the more and more it becomes clear to me that Eakins is a bad coach. Simple. He is the biggest problem game in and game out on the ice.

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

if this team hadn't gone through 3 coaches with the same player MO, then i'd be with you.  maybe there's a fine line between good players being mismanaged and entitled players trying to leverage a different coach (and new GM?) and maybe a different playing style with bad play, but it doesn't feel like a fine line here, and i see most of our vets being on the wrong side.

How is this different than what the Blues or Penguins have experienced? Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are on their 4th coach. Berube was Pietrangelo’s 5th coach in St Louis (with guys like Steen, Tarasenko and Bouwmeester there for most of them too). Even Scotty Niedermayer played for six different coaches during his 12 years in Jersey. Are these all just entitled players? 

On 2/19/2021 at 7:38 AM, gorbachav5 said:

I am 100% on board with firing Murray and Eakins, but I don't think it happens.  The owners are already taking a loss and they'd have to eat the remainder of both contracts.  They'd also need to then conduct a difficult search in the middle of a pandemic for their replacements.  I'd love to see the Samuelis do it, because I think it's necessary, but I don't expect it.

If Travis Green gets fired (although, I think unlikely now...) I dunno, maybe wouldn't be the hardest to find a replacement coach. But I also think that's unlikely as BM had a chance go with him but went with RC knowing that Eakins would be replacing RC eventually...

but I am with you...unlikely anything happens till after the ED.

Why Bob needs to go is simple....questionable decisions he has made and Failure to gain any prominent Player in trades I Believe is grounds for his dismissal. Also Bobs big mistake is more then JUST Allow Theodore to GO.......It's his stopping at making Bigtime Trades at Ryan Kesler is his FLAW.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

22 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

How is this different than what the Blues or Penguins have experienced? Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are on their 4th coach. Berube was Pietrangelo’s 5th coach in St Louis (with guys like Steen, Tarasenko and Bouwmeester there for most of them too). Even Scotty Niedermayer played for six different coaches during his 12 years in Jersey. Are these all just entitled players? 

Those players didn’t play like our are in an attempt to have their coaches fired. None of our current players are the quality of the ones you listed, save 1. 

Maybe we’re both kidding ourselves thinking this group of players can play better (you: with a better coach; me: with more personal effort by the veteran players).  I don’t see players putting forth enough effort to make a fair evaluation of the head coach.

Putting our scoring leader from last season on waivers isn´t exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks BM for another bonehead move.

When fans are able to return, it's going to be easy for the Ducks to maintain social distancing, since more than half the building will already be empty on a regular basis.