The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Fire Murray and Eakins ´protest´

You know why.  Crap GM.

I'm so envious of teams like Toronto that have a young, dynamic GM who makes things happen.

• Like 2

I hear it every time when another trade deadline pass and our GM does absolutely NOTHING. Some fans immediately start to defend him "well, the real moves will be in the off-season summer". Then summer comes and our genius does NOTHING again, expect picking up some no-name borderline NHL players. I also hear "Bob didn't do this or didn't do that because he has plans for ED". I don't believe anymore if this guy has ANY PLANS. 

And what really prostrating is that Samuelis keep radio silence for the last 3 years. They reject any interview requests from Eric Stephens, Elliott Teaford, Dan Wood and any other beat writers, not even mention to reply to emails of average Ducks fans.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I hear it every time when another trade deadline pass and our GM does absolutely NOTHING. Some fans immediately start to defend him "well, the real moves will be in the off-season summer". Then summer comes and our genius does NOTHING again, expect picking up some no-name borderline NHL players. I also hear "Bob didn't do this or didn't do that because he has plans for ED". I don't believe anymore if this guy has ANY PLANS. 

And what really prostrating is that Samuelis keep radio silence for the last 3 years. They reject any interview requests from Eric Stephens, Elliott Teaford, Dan Wood and any other beat writers, not even mention to reply to emails of average Ducks fans.

I want Bob gone. But I also think he should be criticized when he deserves it, not just for nit picky reasons. There really was not a lot of value coming back in most of the trades made this deadline. There were literally only 4 first round picks traded at this deadline. 3 of them involved the team retaining 50% of the traded player's salary. None of our good trade pieces are in the last year of their contracts, so we would have been retaining salary into next season. I really don't get how you guys are blaming Murray for not moving players when there wasn't really a market to do so.

This offseason, after the ED, would absolutely be the time to make these trades (edit: actually, last offseason and the one before that were when he should have started offloading vets, but we are past that now). If we start next season and we have not already traded multiple players I will be completely shocked.

BTW fire Murray.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Please explain why.  I've seen other teams, including the Kings, trade their veterans for picks and prospects this year and over the past several years.  Why can't the Ducks do it when they clearly should be selling?

Because those guys all have more than one season on their contracts besides Manson, who I did say was more likely to move. Teams are loading up for playoff runs and guys who have a lot of term left usually aren't the prime targets. I get that teams did trade players with term but I get the sense that we just weren't getting the kind of offers we wanted. What, should we trade guys for 2nd and 3rd round picks? 

I was expecting more moves to be made but I'm not going to complain because teams might have low balled us, we don't know for sure but maybe in the coming days we'll hear the fallout. 

So yes, it's possible we might get better offers in the off season because teams have more flexibility. Nothing strange about that. 

I´m still on the fire Murray (and Eakins) train but I do kinda get him on this one. Next summer after the ED is the time to make moves. Preferably quite a few and big ones. Perry´s buy out is only 2 mil. Rowney is a UFA. We LTIR Kesler. Hopefully we retain Getzlaf with a hometown discount. We lose some salary to Seattle.

Raises for Lundestrom, Jones, Steel and Comtois but nothing crazy. Heinen (if he´s still around) shouldn´t get more.

We´ll have roster spots and capspace. Some teams won´t. Stike first, strike hard, no mercy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I´m still on the fire Murray (and Eakins) train but I do kinda get him on this one. Next summer after the ED is the time to make moves. Preferably quite a few and big ones. Perry´s buy out is only 2 mil. Rowney is a UFA. We LTIR Kesler. Hopefully we retain Getzlaf with a hometown discount. We lose some salary to Seattle.

Raises for Lundestrom, Jones, Steel and Comtois but nothing crazy. Heinen (if he´s still around) shouldn´t get more.

We´ll have roster spots and capspace. Some teams won´t. Stike first, strike hard, no mercy.

What did Steel do to deserve his raise?

• Like 2

Lundestrom and Steel not deserved a raise.

Jones and especially Comtois as our top scorer deserved.

Monday I am frustrated about the deadline, but now I see it a little different. its a weak draft class, 2022 is one to take focus, should be a strong draft year, and after the first 5-10 its a lottery with lack of scouting because a lot not played this season.

If Murray makes a good Seattle deal and offseason work (re/-sign players, trade drat picks 2022), then its okay. but no later then next deadline he must made some trades! if not, I can't understand it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

What did Steel do to deserve his raise?

I'm not saying he deserves one but I think he'll get one just because his ELC is up. But you're right. Steel hasn't shown a whole lot. 

4 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I'm not saying he deserves one but I think he'll get one just because his ELC is up. But you're right. Steel hasn't shown a whole lot. 

Steel's numbers are pretty similar to what Terry's numbers were last summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Steel offered something close to what Terry got (3yrs.,$4.35M). Ritchie also got 3 yrs, $4.65M when he was due to an extension after his ELC. I think 3 years and somewhere between $4M-$4.5M is where they end up.**

**If Steel is still here after the expansion draft and entry draft.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Steel's numbers are pretty similar to what Terry's numbers were last summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Steel offered something close to what Terry got (3yrs.,$4.35M). Ritchie also got 3 yrs, $4.65M when he was due to an extension after his ELC. I think 3 years and somewhere between $4M-$4.5M is where they end up.**

**If Steel is still here after the expansion draft and entry draft.

hmm.  Steel is one of those decisions where we traditionally offer the NR/TT deal, but where the team might be better served by moving on and moving someone else up to test their ability in the show.  he IS durable, though, so maybe it's best to sign him to a low bridge contract that makes him tradeable but gives him a little more time on a team more focused on winning than on development.  it's unfortunate that he won't be waivers-exempt next year, cause I'd prefer he be moved to the AHL and fight to earn his NHL spot back against the other ELCs.  maybe training camp will decide.  i fear if we waive him next season he'll get snapped up by Detroit or maybe Chicago or Vancouver.

hmm Steel as a Seattle? its a possibilty...

I don't know who we will protect, the issue is, BM is 67 years old in a half year, would he really like to make a rebuild? he will not be there by the team after the rebuild is done. thats maybe also the reason he's not really on a real rebuild and only retool mode... thats maybe our problem, for a rebuild you should have a younger GM, thats the real issue... would you love to take a rebuild in his age?

Dorion is 48, Yzerman 55, Kekalainen 54, Gorton 52... they are all 10-20 years younger who takes the rebuild with their team..

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

hmm Steel as a Seattle? its a possibilty...

I don't know who we will protect, the issue is, BM is 67 years old in a half year, would he really like to make a rebuild? he will not be there by the team after the rebuild is done. thats maybe also the reason he's not really on a real rebuild and only retool mode... thats maybe our problem, for a rebuild you should have a younger GM, thats the real issue... would you love to take a rebuild in his age?

Dorion is 48, Yzerman 55, Kekalainen 54, Gorton 52... they are all 10-20 years younger who takes the rebuild with their team..

This doesn't make sense. What does him being older than some GM's have to do with whether we rebuild or not? He's impatient to try to win a cup? I'm pretty sure we're not winning anything soon regardless if we rebuild or not. 

you want at the end of your career start a rebuild where you know that you aren't there anymore when the team starts to have success? especially after you were so shortly before the cup a couple years ago... I understand him, that he wants the retool and not the rebuild at his age.

9 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

you want at the end of your career start a rebuild where you know that you aren't there anymore when the team starts to have success? especially after you were so shortly before the cup a couple years ago... I understand him, that he wants the retool and not the rebuild at his age.

Again, it age has nothing to do with it. What is he going to be the gm until his deathbed? Plenty of gms don't get to see the team they've assembled because they got fired. Brian Burke is one example. Everyone still recognized they were the ones who built the team. 

Now pressure from management might force him to make moves even he might not like. 

19 minutes ago, g20topdogg said:

Again, it age has nothing to do with it. What is he going to be the gm until his deathbed? Plenty of gms don't get to see the team they've assembled because they got fired. Brian Burke is one example. Everyone still recognized they were the ones who built the team. 

Now pressure from management might force him to make moves even he might not like. 

Stevie Y is another good example! I mean...he basically completely built that 2020 cup winning bolts...i mean, he was so important for that he should have gotten a ring haha

After having watched almost every game this season, I would say the coaching staff isn't developing the young guys at NHL level. They are getting worse. Period.

This team will become a loosing mentality club like Buffalo for a long period if something isn't changed during the summer break.

Looking at the PowerPlay, the statistics says it all. Dead last and it really looks like they don't have any, not any idea of what to do. They play better 5-5, thats for sure.

This team needs new coaches, a few new fresh strong players that can go to the net. Thats a start.

🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duckeer said:

After having watched almost every game this season, I would say the coaching staff isn't developing the young guys at NHL level. They are getting worse. Period.

This team will become a loosing mentality club like Buffalo for a long period if something isn't changed during the summer break.

Looking at the PowerPlay, the statistics says it all. Dead last and it really looks like they don't have any, not any idea of what to do. They play better 5-5, thats for sure.

This team needs new coaches, a few new fresh strong players that can go to the net. Thats a start.

🤔

Completely agree.

6 hours ago, Duckeer said:

🤔

It seems like the powerplay hasn't changed since the start of the season. Actually since about 3 seasons ago. They spend half of their time rimming passes around the boards. The only thing that changes is the personnel. Maybe they should actually try something different since the status quo isn't working.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 3

I saw Daniel Sprong snipe a top corner goal tonight.  It was Washington's only goal in their 1-0 win over the Islanders that moved them into first place.  I remember Sprong scoring 2 goals in his first game as a Duck back in Dec. 2018 because I was at the game.

Sprong now has 10 goals and 7 assists and is +10 in 36 games this season.  That would rank him 3rd in goal scoring and 1st in goals per game for the Ducks, and he is only 24 years old.  

GMBM traded Sprong for Christian Djoos at last year's trade deadline, when he should have spent his time trading one of the Ducks' veterans for picks and or prospects.  Of course he then lost Djoos on the waiver wire to Detroit, so he essentially traded away a young, good scoring winger for nothing.

I remember the rap on Sprong was that he "wasn't responsible defensively."  If every single player on the roster is required to be solid defensively, it's no wonder the Ducks have the worst offense in the league and are boring as hell to watch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I saw Daniel Sprong snipe a top corner goal tonight.  It was Washington's only goal in their 1-0 win over the Islanders that moved them into first place.  I remember Sprong scoring 2 goals in his first game as a Duck back in Dec. 2018 because I was at the game.

Sprong now has 10 goals and 7 assists and is +10 in 36 games this season.  That would rank him 3rd in goal scoring and 1st in goals per game for the Ducks, and he is only 24 years old.  

GMBM traded Sprong for Christian Djoos at last year's trade deadline, when he should have spent his time trading one of the Ducks' veterans for picks and or prospects.  Of course he then lost Djoos on the waiver wire to Detroit, so he essentially traded away a young, good scoring winger for nothing.

I remember the rap on Sprong was that he "wasn't responsible defensively."  If every single player on the roster is required to be solid defensively, it's no wonder the Ducks have the worst offense in the league and are boring as hell to watch.

For a team starving for goals having Sprong would be nice, even if he can't play defense to save his life. 
There's something serioulsy wrong in Anaheim. Look at the indivudual stats. That's abysmal stuff. Meanwhile you have Perry performing way better than ever was expected in Anaheim. Same for Ritchie. Okay they play on better teams but every single guy on this team is reaching career lows. Even Hakanpaa has 2 goals already in Carolina. I don't think he scored for us. 

Would I love to have Boudreau back. Sure we might lose a game 7 but we'd at least be in The Playoffs and we'd be fun to watch.

• Like 3

Bob Hartley won Gagarin cup in KHL. He is the second coach in history to win both Stanley Cup and Gagarin Cup, after Mike Keenan. I wonder what are these good coaches doing in KHL while some minor league coach running our NHL team?

• Like 1

It's like they need a mentor to come in and help at practices.

This brings Selanne, Niedermeyer (Scott-not Rob), Guy, Pronger, and almost any others of the cup winning team.

They need help, the sooner the better. I hope the next Captain will step up a little more and help the guys. It's almost disheartening being a Ducks fan.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 10:15 PM, CAsFirstCup said:

So if he has 10 goals on a good team, he'd have 5 or 6 here, so somewhere around Steel.  He also had 1 goal in 8 games last year vs. a Heinen with 3 in 9 games.  We have those guys already.

We traded for Djoos because we needed D that wasn't injured.  He scored as many goals as Sprong.

We also complained about how getting Sprong was a lousy choice, and how bad GMBM was bad for getting him.

We really need to be more consistent in our complaints,  and also in our stat comparisons on other teams.  We really romanticize former players as if they are out there creating goals like McDavid and not simply being okay players who are benefitting from a good situation.  

Sprong would be just another middler here, like he was during his time here.

4 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Do you really think Getzlaf isn't doing this?  Frankly, I thin the guy deserves a medal for putting up with this mess as graciously as he has the last three seasons.  From everything I've seen, he appears to be involved and invested in bringing up the new guys.

I'd imagine if he hadn't won a cup it would be a different story...but I think winning the cup so early in his career he's been able to settle in and if he likes management and the owners and the area...might as well stay. Why not get paid $4-5mil to help this team that is your entire identity and bring up the new guys? I'd imagine the last 3 years he's felt the least amount of pressure.

4 hours ago, gotchabari said:

who are benefitting from a good situation.

that's basically my biggest realization over the years...i think they if anything seeing players do better as they leave is also a sign of just better development and system with other teams. Sprong I don't care about 'cause he was also a problem in pittsburgh, whatever. But other guys. It's painful to see that it could have been just changing how we used them for them to shine. Or how we developed them.

4 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I'd imagine if he hadn't won a cup it would be a different story...but I think winning the cup so early in his career he's been able to settle in and if he likes management and the owners and the area...might as well stay. Why not get paid $4-5mil to help this team that is your entire identity and bring up the new guys? I'd imagine the last 3 years he's felt the least amount of pressure.

that's basically my biggest realization over the years...i think they if anything seeing players do better as they leave is also a sign of just better development and system with other teams. Sprong I don't care about 'cause he was also a problem in pittsburgh, whatever. But other guys. It's painful to see that it could have been just changing how we used them for them to shine. Or how we developed them.

I think Getzy has mentioned in many interviews that he's more of an old school kind of guy. I don't think he's going to retire this year. I think he'd want to pass the torch so to speak just as Neidermayer once passed it to him. Like he'd want to leave the organization knowing he contributed to the future and leaves it in good hands. I think that's his intention. So I believe he'll play for another year at least. After that, I think depending on what kind of a year we'll have and if he's enjoying the game he might consider staying longer if we're sniffing the playoffs but if we have another really bad year he's likely considering retiring then. He's not the kind of player who's going to leave the team high and dry for next year to just figure it out. He's a leader and like I said, apart from the new generation of players around the league, he's going to stick around to pass it to the kids to help them moving forward. Guys just don't have that kind of mindset these days with all the trade requests. Getzy isn't like that. He stays for another year at least. After that who ever is our next captain will have something to follow. I don't think Zegras is our captain, at least for now, ridiculous to even consider it I think. He hasn't even played a full season. With time, sure but I just can't see the team giving it to him now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I think Getzy has mentioned in many interviews that he's more of an old school kind of guy. I don't think he's going to retire this year. I think he'd want to pass the torch so to speak just as Neidermayer once passed it to him. Like he'd want to leave the organization knowing he contributed to the future and leaves it in good hands. I think that's his intention. So I believe he'll play for another year at least. After that, I think depending on what kind of a year we'll have and if he's enjoying the game he might consider staying longer if we're sniffing the playoffs but if we have another really bad year he's likely considering retiring then. He's not the kind of player who's going to leave the team high and dry for next year to just figure it out. He's a leader and like I said, apart from the new generation of players around the league, he's going to stick around to pass it to the kids to help them moving forward. Guys just don't have that kind of mindset these days with all the trade requests. Getzy isn't like that. He stays for another year at least. After that who ever is our next captain will have something to follow. I don't think Zegras is our captain, at least for now, ridiculous to even consider it I think. He hasn't even played a full season. With time, sure but I just can't see the team giving it to him now. 

oh yeah, absolutely! completely agree

And I could see Cam or Silfv as the interim captain, if you will, after Getz before someone like Drysdale or Z or......who knows who.

12 hours ago, gotchabari said:

So if he has 10 goals on a good team, he'd have 5 or 6 here, so somewhere around Steel.  He also had 1 goal in 8 games last year vs. a Heinen with 3 in 9 games.  We have those guys already.

We traded for Djoos because we needed D that wasn't injured.  He scored as many goals as Sprong.

We also complained about how getting Sprong was a lousy choice, and how bad GMBM was bad for getting him.

We really need to be more consistent in our complaints,  and also in our stat comparisons on other teams.  We really romanticize former players as if they are out there creating goals like McDavid and not simply being okay players who are benefitting from a good situation.  

Sprong would be just another middler here, like he was during his time here.

He scored 14 goals in 47 games on a bad Ducks team 2 seasons ago as a 21 year old, and you write him off over 8 poor games last season.  He has a great shot, has shown he can score goals, and has the potential to be a 25 goal scorer if given the opportunity. 

Well, it seems like this is the appropriate place to put the link to this well written article.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/05/05/whicker-worst-ducks-team-in-history-waits-for-elevator-to-restart/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belarus said:

Well, it seems like this is the appropriate place to put the link to this well written article.

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/05/05/whicker-worst-ducks-team-in-history-waits-for-elevator-to-restart/

Well, nothing new, really, except I didn't know that Ducks are on the way to beat NHL record for worst PP % in history. They author stopped short of stating the most logical move the Ducks organization have to make right after the end of this season - firing GM who generated this mess.

23 hours ago, Belarus said:

Good article.  It's worth emphasizing this quote "Bob Murray, promoted in November of 2008, has held his general manager’s job longer than all but two NHL counterparts GMs (David Poile of Nashville, Doug Wilson of San Jose)."

Murray is now in his 13th year as Ducks GM.  The Rangers' GM, who was doing a much better job with their rebuild than Murray is with the Ducks', got fired this week.  It's amazing that Murray's incompetence continues to be rewarded with such a long tenure as GM.