The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Fire Murray and Eakins ´protest´

Current rumor noise from Friedman is that LA and Anaheim are not in the wheelhouse for Eichel right  (could change though) and that the Wild are still very much involved. Reports also that LA is open to move the #8 pick, which isn’t a shock, since they have been expected to make more key roster upgrades, even if it’s not Eichel.

2 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Current rumor noise from Friedman is that LA and Anaheim are not in the wheelhouse for Eichel right  (could change though) and that the Wild are still very much involved. Reports also that LA is open to move the #8 pick, which isn’t a shock, since they have been expected to make more key roster upgrades, even if it’s not Eichel.

Interesting interesting...i hope that's 'cause Z and Dry were off the table. If that's true, this is another, less appreciated aspect of Bob I dare say (I await the attacks...lol) similar with the E Karlsson non-trade...if he's not giving up what he wants to give up, he wont make the trade. It's harder to quantify those as it's similar to eating healthy...I ate a salad instead of a burger...well...i feel fine. But I don't know, maybe I would have felt fine if I ate the burger! But since it never happened, it's hard to say I would have felt terrible if I ate the burger. hard to say "good job jasoaks! you made the right choice!" ...anyway...off to the gym!

Elliott Teaford is reporting that El Capitan Ryan Getzlaf plans to re-sign once free agency opens up. Not surprised, but still very nice to hear.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just read an interview by our GM. Bob admits that he is not that good in "analysis" and Jeff Solomon teaches him a lot about players evaluation. Interesting, after 14 years as GM of NHL professional franchise, he is still learning to "analyze"?

Ducks GM Bob Murray finally admits: ‘We’re rebuilding’ – Daily News

Edited by FanSince1993

11 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Just read an interview by our GM. Bob admits that he is not that good in "analysis" and Jeff Solomon teaches him a lot about players evaluation. Interesting, after 14 years as GM of NHL professional franchise, he is still learning to "analyze"?

After few months to few years....Stubborn Bob finally Admits Ducks are in Rebuild,Rejuvenation,Restoration Mode.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, FanSince1993 said:

That interview was infuriating to read.  Better late than never, I guess, but it seems like Murray's had his head stuck firmly in the sand (or somewhere else, if you prefer) for the last four seasons as it pertains to the rebuild.  And this quote about analytics really got my blood boiling:

“We had some people and we had some numbers,” Murray said of embracing analytics. “Since Jeff has come on board, the way he explains it to me and talks about it, I understand certain things a lot more. Certain things, when they’d say them to me, I’d say, ‘Hold on. I just watched that game. That’s not what I saw.’

“But (Solomon) explains it more and it can definitely back up some of your thought process and open your eyes to others. I like what shows what lines are good together, what defense pairs are good together. I like that because it reaffirms in my mind who can work well together.

"We had some people and we had some numbers"?!?!?!?  My goodness, Murray.  I suppose these new-fangled, computer-thingamajigs are confusing, too.  I don't even blame Murray for being bad at analytics - I'm a numbers guy, but I recognize that not everyone is, and that's ok.  There are plenty of things that Murray is (was?) good at in the GM role.  But part of the job is knowing where your deficiencies are and hiring someone to cover those deficiencies.  This confirms what we've speculated about for years - that the Ducks have been laughably behind the rest of the league in using analytics to evaluate players and inform transactions.  Murray's been bringing his abacus to work at NASA every day and wondering why other guys are getting promoted before he is.

I'm glad that deficiency has finally been identified and, hopefully, resolved, but imagine what could have been.

Edited by Gorbachav55
  • Like 1

I can just see those conversations during offseason planning.

• GMBM: "Okay, who are we talking about next?
  • Assistant: "Mathieu Perreault"
  • GMBM: "He had a decent season last year, but we just picked up Kesler, we've got Rakell coming up, just let him go."
  • Assistant: "Maybe we should ask the analytics guy what he thinks?"
  • Everyone laughs.
  • GMBM: "Alright, fine, bring in the nerdboy!"
  • The assistant opens a cage in the corner and drags out a haggard looking man in chains.
  • GMBM: "Ok, nerdboy, what do YOU think of Mathieu Perreault?"
  • Analyst: "Actually, sir, he was really good for us.  His Corsi and Fenwick numbers were some of the highest on the team which tells you how good his puck possession was, his scoring per minute at even strength was fantastic, and I've compiled some offensive zone entry figures that would..."
  • Someone shoots a spitwad at him.  It misses.  Everyone laughs anyway.
  • GMBM: "Corsi and Fenwick?  I think I tried to trade for those two guys several years ago.  Good faceoff numbers.  But I don't think they're relevant to this conversation.  Perrault would be our third or fourth line center.  He's 5'10. How would that work when he's trying to defend the slot?"
  • Analyst: "Well, he's not the best at that, admittedly, but the data show that his neutral zone passing is good and he spends so much time with the puck in the offensive zone that..."
  • Assistant, mockingly: "He's not the best at that, he says!  What a joke!  Who wants third or fourth line centers for their OFFENSE?  Come on."
  • GMBM: "I've heard enough.  Take nerdboy back to his cage and put a TV over there somewhere so he can actually WATCH a game once in a while."
  • Analyst: "Actually, I watch every game.  That's how I compiled the zone entry statistics since you won't let me have a computer with the internet."
  • GMBM: "Here's a calculator.  Have fun.  We're cutting Perreault. [to everyone else] Let's talk about some possible free agent pickups.  I heard Minnesota isn't going to re-sign Stoner. Did you see the picture of him when he killed that bear?  Now THERE'S a guy we want defending the slot. A four-year deal sounds about right."
  • Analyst: [whimpers softly]
Edited by Gorbachav55
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

i would imagine that at least part of this is BM just doing his best to set the stage for the handoff.  

12 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

They're not rebuilding.  They're kicking the can.  Rebuilding implies that trades are being made, veterans are being let go in order to get prospects or picks in return.  None of that is happening.

The roster is almost identical to the one which had the 2nd worst record in the league less than 5 months ago.

I don't see the Ducks reaching even 75 points this season, and I won't be surprised to see Getzlaf moved by the trade deadline.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

They're not rebuilding.  They're kicking the can.  Rebuilding implies that trades are being made, veterans are being let go in order to get prospects or picks in return.  None of that is happening.

The roster is almost identical to the one which had the 2nd worst record in the league less than 5 months ago.

I don't see the Ducks reaching even 75 points this season, and I won't be surprised to see Getzlaf moved by the trade deadline.

We should wait and see...FINALLY STUBBORN BOB admits Anaheim Ducks are in Rebuilding Mode...also I call it Rebuild,Rejuvenate and restoration...About TIME he admits the Truth of our Teams Flaws.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I dunno, the article sounds pretty hopeful and sounds like a lot of changes were made internally that are going to have larger impacts on the team as we move forward. New discussion, more realizations.

If the almost-Gibson trade to carolina is true, it sounds like BM is in the right mindset. Don't know why it fell through...still believe he had opportunities early this off-season to make some veteran trades that I would guess now have to wait till TDL or till other teams have injuries or see their signings didn't work out.

And not giving up Z and/or Drys for Eichel is still great IMO. McTavish... *shrug* probably not who Buffalo would have picked with #3 so I would guess he has less value to them now. But I just haven't formed any emotional attachment to Mason (yet) so I'd be fine including him for Eichel.

17 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Yeah. Someone needs to ask Murray how he defines “rebuild”. I’ll believe it when he actually moves a veteran for future assets, which he should have started doing 2+ years ago. He can continue to talk all he wants until then.

16 hours ago, Fisix said:

part of rebuilding is drafting well...

This is one area that I will give Murray a good grade on. My only real critique here over the last three years was taking Tracey over Kaliyev but the Ducks have been in the top-third of the league overall in drafting since then. 

36 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

My only real critique here over the last three years was taking Tracey over Kaliyev

completely agree! that one still blows my mind.... time will tell....(and it aint looking good so far lol) but I just think of if we passed on Perry 'cause of his "character" or "skating" issues in his report.

I'll never understand why Anaheim burned a year off of Drysdale and Zegras contract to play on a team that had absolutely nothing going for them.

Zegras could've been inserted in later on in the season without burning a year off his deal as could Drysdale. 

It's very obvious that the Ducks have not learned much from being inpatient with their prospects. Drysdale needs another year outside of the NHL. Let him go back to the OHL, play for Canada and develop more. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CharlieConway said:

I'll never understand why Anaheim burned a year off of Drysdale and Zegras contract to play on a team that had absolutely nothing going for them.

Zegras could've been inserted in later on in the season without burning a year off his deal as could Drysdale. 

It's very obvious that the Ducks have not learned much from being inpatient with their prospects. Drysdale needs another year outside of the NHL. Let him go back to the OHL, play for Canada and develop more. 

I don't think burning a year off their ELC's matters that much. The Ducks aren't going anywhere, have no cap issues going forward and it can allow them to re-sign both players to more team friendly deals on their second contracts since they won't have an extra year of NHL production to help drive up their price. The key thing about them playing in the NHL last year is that Murray made sure that they didn't play enough games to count towards an accrued season for free agency.

I agree with you about Drysdale though and don't think that he'll stay with the Ducks all season. He's got a lot of work on before he solidifies a permanent roster spot and don't want the Ducks to Fowler him by playing him when he's not ready. The problem is that he is way too good for juniors. Hopefully, he can at least get comfortable in a 3rd pairing role and then move up as he develops and that the CHL/AHL agreement happens which would allow him to play for the Gulls.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:36 PM, Fisix said:

part of rebuilding is drafting well...

Yep, it's the most important, imo, but trading for Eichel at this stage doesn't follow the normal rebuild script, especially when you haven't traded any veterans for futures. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:58 AM, Fisix said:

i would imagine that at least part of this is BM just doing his best to set the stage for the handoff.  

Given what Gibson has said, I don't think that he is going to be a part of any handoff and he is going to demand a trade by next season.

23 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

completely agree! that one still blows my mind.... time will tell....(and it aint looking good so far lol) but I just think of if we passed on Perry 'cause of his "character" or "skating" issues in his report.

The Tracey pick is just trending towards being a very bad one. Watching him in the rookie face-off and even now in the parts that I saw of the intra-squad scrimmage is leaving me more and more pessimistic about him. I know it's still early but his skating still isn't good, his decision making with the puck is suspect and he can't bury the chances that he does get (which was the whole reason why the Ducks drafted him at #29). I'm not saying that he needs to be vying for a roster spot this year or even next, but was hoping that he would start to close the gap a bit and I don't think that he really has. 

I've seen more to like from Pastujov already lol.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

3 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

The Tracey pick is just trending towards being a very bad one. Watching him in the rookie face-off and even now in the parts that I saw of the intra-squad scrimmage is leaving me more and more pessimistic about him. I know it's still early but his skating still isn't good, his decision making with the puck is suspect and he can't bury the chances that he does get (which was the whole reason why the Ducks drafted him at #29). I'm not saying that he needs to be vying for a roster spot this year or even next, but was hoping that he would start to close the gap a bit and I don't think that he really has. 

I've seen more to like from Pastujov already lol.

SAME! and like also im fine with being patient...hell im still not completely out on Steel...he could become a real solid 3C/penalty killer. But like...Kayliev is already SO far beyond as far as development and also had chemistry with Z...sigh... maybe I'm exaggerating on where he is...but he's already played in the NHL and has a goal...so....

Pastujov is exciting!!