The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Fire Murray and Eakins ´protest´

Backes said it perfectly! Where is that team that played Vegas? Where is that team that showed towards the end of the 2nd period? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pazonator said:

Backes said it perfectly! Where is that team that played Vegas? Where is that team that showed towards the end of the 2nd period? 

It’s not in that clip, but Felix Sicard posted this quote from Backes on Twitter about the Rico situation:

“This morning it was like what, what? Surprising a lot of guys. Sometimes that chaos can kind of just zone in their focus...other times it can be... what the heck's going on, am I next?" 

There’s a good chance Bob submarined the team’s effort last night with the waivers move yesterday. The effort on Thursday pretty much speaks for itself though.

Rico clears. A bit surprised at that. Can’t wait to see how this impacts the dressing room.

6 hours ago, Fisix said:

So, is Backes basically saying it's the players not the coach? Or at least the players don't have an issue with Eakins? I mean, I know he wouldn't just say that outright, but I'm getting the sense he does think it's the players not putting the effort more than anything. By saying look at the 2nd period. This is our game. Same when he brought up Vegas.

47 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

So, is Backes basically saying it's the players not the coach? Or at least the players don't have an issue with Eakins? I mean, I know he wouldn't just say that outright, but I'm getting the sense he does think it's the players not putting the effort more than anything. By saying look at the 2nd period. This is our game. Same when he brought up Vegas.

Hard not to think his comments are a little self-serving in that he’s trying to stay in the lineup by saying the types of things the coach wants to hear from a 36-year-old veteran in possibly his last season. But if he is calling out the players, I have a hard time believing his comments are directed at the guys who have more than 600 NHL games under their belt already and who know what a 60-minute effort looks like. That 60-minute-effort stuff is going to fall on deaf ears if the target audience is Getzlaf, Silfverberg and Fowler.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hard not to think his comments are a little self-serving in that he’s trying to stay in the lineup by saying the types of things the coach wants to hear from a 36-year-old veteran in possibly his last season. But if he is calling out the players, I have a hard time believing his comments are directed at the guys who have more than 600 NHL games under their belt already and who know what a 60-minute effort looks like. That 60-minute-effort stuff is going to fall on deaf ears if the target audience is Getzlaf, Silfverberg and Fowler.

That would make more sense to me, yeah. Also I am a big believer in that if you try to use a hammer to screw in a screw...you can try all you want, put in all the effort and not get it done. Or get it done in a weird way that doesn't really work. Sure you could hammer the screw really hard and maybe use a screw driver to hammer a nail. But that's not really gonna be sustainable.

Maybe the hammer sympathizes with the person using him and is like "im sorry I'm not better!!" ...but...man the person using him is just not using his tools correctly. If he used his tools correctly...not only would the hammer and all the tools feel good about what they are doing...it would result in a much better outcome!

Eakins and the coaching staff is not using the tools correctly. They don't know how to use tools. They have no idea what they're doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I think we all wonder where that effort goes.  The coaches are probably dumbfounded as well but it is their job to find that key ingredient every game and implement it  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Rico clears. A bit surprised at that. Can’t wait to see how this impacts the dressing room.

Yeah, who knows. You’d think he’s got a good relationship with his teammates that he’s been around for a couple of years and that the rift is mainly between him and management/coaching. It’s pretty crazy that it got to this point so fast. I’m sure that other players are playing the “am I next?” game in their heads now which shouldn’t be a new thing given the struggles of the team for a while.

I’ll be surprised if he plays for the Ducks again at this point and that Murray is going to aggressively try and move him. Not surprised that he cleared waivers because his contract and teams can now leverage Ducks to retain salary, possibly get a pick or try and clear out a contract of their own.

At least we can cross him off the protected listed for Seattle.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

I'm relieved that Henrique cleared waivers, but am still angry at BM for risking losing an asset for nothing when he could have traded him at the deadline last year for a good haul.  

Overall I'm angry at BM for not trading away ANY mid-career players for picks, prospects or other young talent since it became obvious that the Ducks were in rebuilding mode over 2 years ago.   He traded Montour for a 1st rounder 2 years ago and Kase for a 1st rounder, Ritchie for Heinen, Sprong for Djoos last year.  While the Kase move likely has paid off, since he is so injury prone, why are Henrique, Silfverberg, Fowler and Manson ALL still on the roster?  I'm not advocating burning down the roster completely, but given the sad state of this team, at least ONE of those guys should have been traded for a significant return by now.

Edited by CAsFirstCup
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

When fans are able to return, it's going to be easy for the Ducks to maintain social distancing, since more than half the building will already be empty on a regular basis.

Way to be Killjoy there IZCOOOL....WOOOOOOOOOOO.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I'm relieved that Henrique cleared waivers, but am still angry at BM for risking losing an asset for nothing when he could have traded him at the deadline last year for a good haul.  

Overall I'm angry at BM for not trading away ANY mid-career players for picks, prospects or other young talent since it became obvious that the Ducks were in rebuilding mode over 2 years ago.   He traded Montour for a 1st rounder 2 years ago and Kase for a 1st rounder, Ritchie for Heinen, Sprong for Djoos last year.  While the Kase move likely has paid off, since he is so injury prone, why are Henrique, Silfverberg, Fowler and Manson ALL still on the roster?  I'm not advocating burning down the roster completely, but given the sad state of this team, at least ONE of those guys should have been traded for a significant return by now.

Brian Murry has NO hockey sense. Look back what he did in Chicago and got fired. The team has no direction no accountability no emergency I wish the ownership would have ran the club like they ran their pc business they are verry successful there. Go get Jim Rutherford they will be an over night success.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

There was zero risk of losing him.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Way to be Killjoy there IZCOOOL....WOOOOOOOOOOO.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I'm a Killjoy?  Have you seen the way our team has played the last 2 1/2 seasons?  It's a dumpster fire within a dumpster fire.

I realize you're a completely devoted fan whether the club is deep in the playoffs, contending for the Cup, or languishing in the depths of the league standings.

But surely you see the difference between the players and depth we had 10-20 years ago and the ones we have now.  It's like comparing Wayne Gretzky to a 4th line center on a minor league hockey club.

There's only so much you can do with a roster made up mostly of subpar or mediocre players, along with a few others who won't play to their potential.  There's really only so many line combos even a good coach can play with, before realizing it doesn't matter who you pair with one another, when there are so many that are just not that great to begin with.  And I wouldn't even call Eakins a good coach, so there's that as well.

Murray is not getting the job done, and hasn't for some time now.  So it's also on the Samueli's, since they don't seem interested in either letting him go, or beyond that, apparently don't care about winning or having a team even remotely capable of contending for a Cup.

I heard a lot about how great Gibson was, and how fortunate we were to have him.  Well, if that's true, then he's wasting away, while year after year we fail to even qualify for the playoffs.  Putting him out there night after night, and expecting a 1 or 2 goal performance in order to give us a decent shot of winning, is not going to help his trade value any.  But of course, we're not going to trade him.  He is probably one of the few decent players we have right now.  But if the time did come we decided to try and move him, we're going to get less in return, thanks to the fact our "d" hangs him out to dry night after night.

18 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Yeah, who knows. You’d think he’s got a good relationship with his teammates that he’s been around for a couple of years and that the rift is mainly between him and management/coaching. It’s pretty crazy that it got to this point so fast. I’m sure that other players are playing the “am I next?” game in their heads now which shouldn’t be a new thing given the struggles of the team for a while.

I’ll be surprised if he plays for the Ducks again at this point and that Murray is going to aggressively try and move him. Not surprised that he cleared waivers because his contract and teams can now leverage Ducks to retain salary, possibly get a pick or try and clear out a contract of their own.

At least we can cross him off the protected listed for Seattle.

By all accounts, Rico is extremely well liked in the room. My curiosity is not whether rifts develop in the room between players (doubt it will), but whether Rico's teammates see GMBM as having done Rico dirty here by waiving him. This could trigger a massive resentment among the players for the organization. I'm basically curious to see if anyone now rolls over and plays dead in solidarity with Rico. Which would be rough considering the timing. If there wasn't an expansion draft coming, the Ducks could be having a fire sale right now, but nobody wants to take long-term contracts and there are very few teams with any cap space. The only guy that really has any value right now is Getzlaf. Maybe that's the move we need to make...

6 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

I'm a Killjoy?  Have you seen the way our team has played the last 2 1/2 seasons?  It's a dumpster fire within a dumpster fire.

I realize you're a completely devoted fan whether the club is deep in the playoffs, contending for the Cup, or languishing in the depths of the league standings.

But surely you see the difference between the players and depth we had 10-20 years ago and the ones we have now.  It's like comparing Wayne Gretzky to a 4th line center on a minor league hockey club.

There's only so much you can do with a roster made up mostly of subpar or mediocre players, along with a few others who won't play to their potential.  There's really only so many line combos even a good coach can play with, before realizing it doesn't matter who you pair with one another, when there are so many that are just not that great to begin with.  And I wouldn't even call Eakins a good coach, so there's that as well.

Murray is not getting the job done, and hasn't for some time now.  So it's also on the Samueli's, since they don't seem interested in either letting him go, or beyond that, apparently don't care about winning or having a team even remotely capable of contending for a Cup.

I heard a lot about how great Gibson was, and how fortunate we were to have him.  Well, if that's true, then he's wasting away, while year after year we fail to even qualify for the playoffs.  Putting him out there night after night, and expecting a 1 or 2 goal performance in order to give us a decent shot of winning, is not going to help his trade value any.  But of course, we're not going to trade him.  He is probably one of the few decent players we have right now.  But if the time did come we decided to try and move him, we're going to get less in return, thanks to the fact our "d" hangs him out to dry night after night.

It's more then Dumpster Fire...IT's more then that...Flaws of this team is apparent and Ducks need to set things right by starting at the top......Yes You are killjoy YES I said that If you have issue we can talk right here RIGHT NOW. Bob Murray Must Go and I think for you it's clearly you are more killing the mood then being realistic.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Bob Murray Must Go

I don't think he is the problem. he made not so many mistakes as some people here wrote. his only problem is, that he have still faith in the team and think they could go to the playoffs. but you can't point the finger on him when the team not makes effort for 60 minutes, he tried to change and made a lot of moves last season at the deadline, what I liked. almost every move he made in the last years were okay at this point he made it. of course the Theodore deal not worked out, but at the point he must make the deal, it was a good deal.

he should fire some assistent coaches, who are still there. and he should finally admit to the rebuild, no team can't be a contender for so long time. we had a good and long contender window, but look also at Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, all this teams were the best teams for over a decade and look where they now are? Its a normal thing, especially with the Draft system. we are lucky that we had so long time of good time. now its the mission to come back in 3-4 years and not like Buffalo (10 years without playoffs), they have a losing culture and now they will lose after O'Reilly other elite players (Hall, Eichel), if they can't turn it this year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

I don't think he is the problem. he made not so many mistakes as some people here wrote. his only problem is, that he have still faith in the team and think they could go to the playoffs. but you can't point the finger on him when the team not makes effort for 60 minutes, he tried to change and made a lot of moves last season at the deadline, what I liked. almost every move he made in the last years were okay at this point he made it. of course the Theodore deal not worked out, but at the point he must make the deal, it was a good deal.

he should fire some assistent coaches, who are still there. and he should finally admit to the rebuild, no team can't be a contender for so long time. we had a good and long contender window, but look also at Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, all this teams were the best teams for over a decade and look where they now are? Its a normal thing, especially with the Draft system. we are lucky that we had so long time of good time. now its the mission to come back in 3-4 years and not like Buffalo (10 years without playoffs), they have a losing culture and now they will lose after O'Reilly other elite players (Hall, Eichel), if they can't turn it this year.

Disagree. I am among 95% of fans who believe that BM is the main problem of this team as of now. I am tired of him giving generous contracts to mediocre or underperforming players, and, as other fan mentioned, no matter what line combinations head coach tries, if talent is not there, nothing is going to help. The perfect example of lack of skilled forwards on this team is when you watch Ducks on PP; they can't even enter the offensive zone and set up a play.

Indeed, how is Troy Terry better than Emerson Etem 6 years ago? I good college player who could be a good AHL player. Yet BM gives him a generous 3 years contract extension. Why? I am happy for Troy and his agent, but how is it good for Ducks? IF I was GM, and knowing his unimpressive past statistic, all what I need to say to agent: 1 year fair contract and if you are not happy, welcome to hit the free market or play in Europe. Go and find out what you really worth.

Henrique - 3.5 more years, Silfverberg - 3.5 more years, Fowler - 5.5 more years, Kesler 1.5 more years - there are albatross contracts the team stacked on till they expire. Someone needs to whisper to BM year: stop wasting money to mediocre players.

P.S. By the way, I don't care about Buffalo. Samuelis are successful businessmen, why can't they run their team as they run business?

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 1

Henrique and Silvy were 20 goal scorers when the new contracts are signed. Kesler was strong. all 3 could be play in PK, Fowler is maybe the overrated guy.

Terry for 1,45 is okay, not much. if he turns in a goal scorer, you would have him for 3 years cheap. I have more issues with Rowneys and Grant contracts. but if you pay him 1 or 1.5 mio, its not the problem. you need cheap 3-4 liners and not every guy can have 750k...

maybe 1-2 mio too much for every of this guy, especially Henrique. but nobody can see in future and everybody of this 4 players were good at the signing of the contract. ok, I would try to not make every player a NTC or NMC and not as long as he did....

as mentioned, I would try it with 1-2 mio less, not so long and not give all veterans a NTC/NMC. but here is the personal thing. you don't know why he did that. we were contender at the contracts of Fowler and Kesler, you want to keep it together. maybe if you don't make this deal, the guy wanted out of Anaheim.

its never all nice, every GM made things where the fans did not like, but it could be worse.. the fact that BM made 6-7 moves last season before the deadline to change the team, waive Henrique (risky move but the contract saved him) and was interim coach for 10-15 games it shows, that he wants the best and he is trying every thing.

now you can trade Henrique (retain salary) or give Henrique and Shatt to Seattle..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I could have never imagined thinking or wanting this, but I'd be fine with trading Getzlaf.  In fact, assuming he'd want to waive his NTC, I think we'd be doing him a favor.  Getzlaf is probably my second favorite player of all time, well behind Selanne, but ahead of everyone else.  He looks defeated out there.  And I don't mean to say he isn't giving effort; in fact, I feel like he's tried to lead by example.  But he's not the Getzlaf of five years ago.  He can't dominate shifts all by himself where he bowls guys over and then doesn't let anyone touch the puck before making an absurd back door pass to a wide open teammate.  But he's still trying because he knows that nothing short of that will get the team a goal.  He just can't do it any more. 

He doesn't deserve having this performance and this dysfunction taint his Ducks legacy.  He's been a warrior for this franchise.  I don't want to see the flaming bag of garbage that is this season dropped on his lap.

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely hate the idea of trading him and seeing him in any other jersey, but with the way this team is playing this season, the reality is that Getzlaf has very little reason to remain a Duck after this season anyway. Why would he come back to this? And if Murray is gone and a new GM is brought in (not likely, but also not impossible), the new management may want to move on from him anyway to create the new Ducks identity. I hate it, but I think it's the right move for the future of this team. He'll bring back a late 1st round pick. Maybe a prospect too, and/or an underperforming player with middle-6 potential as well. It won't be a game changer, but it will be assets. This team will also be much worse without him, so maybe that's also incentive to move him sooner than later to lock in a top-5 draft pick.

I'd also like to see him get one more chance to play with highly-skilled NHL wingers who can finish. I'm sad for him after seeing the level of talent that Eakins has saddled him with these past two season. He deserved better.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I meant to say this in my previous post but got too sad to remember to include it.  

I would absolutely love to see Getzlaf with a competent, puck-moving defense and some good wingers.  I miss the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry days when that line would dominate games.  No one could get the puck away from them.  Getzlaf isn't there any more, but he still has the vision, instinct, and strength to be able to provide a solid boost to a second or third line with competent wings.  I would watch a game just to see that again.  Playoff Getzlaf is a thing to behold.

I'd love to see Getzlaf stay a Duck for life but if he wants out I'm all for it. He's earned it. He has done so much for this franchise and he deserves much more than this. I'm pretty confident that if he's given wingers who can put the puck in the net he's still a difference maker. 
I'd also love to see Getzlaf beast mode in The Playoffs again. Unfortunately it won't be in Anaheim unless Zegras turns out to be the next coming of McJesus.

Meanwhile I still want Murray and Eakins fired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm in the same boat. I absolutely hate the idea of trading him and seeing him in any other jersey, but with the way this team is playing this season, the reality is that Getzlaf has very little reason to remain a Duck after this season anyway. Why would he come back to this? And if Murray is gone and a new GM is brought in (not likely, but also not impossible), the new management may want to move on from him anyway to create the new Ducks identity. I hate it, but I think it's the right move for the future of this team. He'll bring back a late 1st round pick. Maybe a prospect too, and/or an underperforming player with middle-6 potential as well. It won't be a game changer, but it will be assets. This team will also be much worse without him, so maybe that's also incentive to move him sooner than later to lock in a top-5 draft pick.

I'd also like to see him get one more chance to play with highly-skilled NHL wingers who can finish. I'm sad for him after seeing the level of talent that Eakins has saddled him with these past two season. He deserved better.

I wonder what his thinking is...he probably wants to stay in Anaheim with his family and remain captain of this team, but at the same time I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to return to this dumpster fire. Especially if the same people are in charge in the off-season. 

I don't know if I would trade him now if he plans to return, but if his plan is to test the market in the offseason anyway then he should be moved at the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, nieder said:

I wonder what his thinking is...he probably wants to stay in Anaheim with his family and remain captain of this team, but at the same time I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to return to this dumpster fire. Especially if the same people are in charge in the off-season. 

I don't know if I would trade him now if he plans to return, but if his plan is to test the market in the offseason anyway then he should be moved at the trade deadline.

Anyone know if he sold his house yet? Wasn’t it listed a couple of months before the season started?

I REALLY don't think Getz is leaving. I don't think he wants to. I think it was a bit ago (and also maybe he was just saying it for the cameras) but I thought I saw him say he has no intention of leaving the Ducks organization. And I'd be shocked if he doesn't re-sign with us in the off season.

It may sound crazy, but I don't think this team really understood how much passion, energy, and cohesiveness Perry brought. Getz (and thus, the team) hasn't REALLY been the same since Perry left. Sure, the writing was on the wall, but I think he was holding this team up a lot more than people thought despite not putting up the same numbers. Just like when our D coach changed Mansion/our D looked noticeably different...same with Getz when Perry left.

I still think he re-signs though. And I doubt he gets traded.

• Like 3

I think I've discovered what I really find problematic with Eakins. I think mentally he has the game pretty well figured out. He's got solid philosophy, good leadership, smart man. But his actual EXECUTION of plans and ideas and performance as a coach...he has no talent. He's not a skilled coach. So he really isn't capable of getting consistent results.

Edited by Jasoaks

6 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Anyone know if he sold his house yet? Wasn’t it listed a couple of months before the season started?

i do not know if it's been sold, but yes it was listed, and the same thing happened with Perry (contract timing is a bit different).  

i think the team was ready to part ways with Perry, but i don't think they're ready or willing to part with Getz.  they won't be the ones making that decision after the end of this season, and Getz has possibly telegraphed he AND his family are ready to go.  given the background issues with lockdowns in CA and the age of his kids, and the ire some people have about those issues, it would not be surprising if Getz and his wife want a change of scenery... that likely involves Canada.  the tax issue only makes sense if Getz plans to resign for a significant salary/length of time.

this seems out there, but if Toronto starts to have problems competing against the other teams they're likely to see in the playoffs, we could see a blockbuster trade where Getz goes there and we get something decent in return.  Marner would be ideal, Nylander would suck (for us - he's just not a good fit), but things would have to deteriorate quite a bit in Toronto for a trade like that to happen.  Any other playoff-bound team would jump at the trade, though.  If one of them has a 1st tied to a non-playoff team (by trade), then that's who we'd target.  If Getz liked the team, i don't think he'd come back (which is actually good in a trade - they'd get him at a negotiated reduced price, going forwad).

Edited by Fisix

all these here who are saying "fire BM" I can't understand. of course, he made some big contracts (too long and too many NTC/NMC) which I not like, but all are reasonable. outside of that what mistakes he made? Kesler and Eaves were unfortunately with their injuries, especially Eaves. he was interim coach to kick the players in the ass (Montour trade). he traded a lot last deadline and try it.

effort of the players you can't count on him, if the team gives 60 minutes effort, they would win a lot of games, we watched it on the Vegas games last week and the first period yesterday. but what can you do if the effort of the players aren't enough? you can not give the blame always at the coaches. the players are professional hockey player who all have a lot of salary, so its the minimum to expect that they play for that money and their jobs! the Henrique-waiver is a risky move, but BM tried to wake up the pathetic play of some players. the only veterans who give effort is Rakell and Gibson. Silf, Henrique, Fowler, Shatt and Getz play without willing to win.

its a damn waste of talent, especially a waste of Gibson and Rakell. I some seasons thought Rakell is lazy, but he is one who plays at a good level, he only doesn't have the goal instinct and shots unfortunately.

Gibson is about 3 first rounder value or a elite player... its the real waste if your teammates not giving enough effort.

we all don't know what is going wrong with the effort. are the trainings too easy and not build on endurance and stamina? or is a effort killer in the locker room?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I REALLY don't think Getz is leaving. I don't think he wants to. I think it was a bit ago (and also maybe he was just saying it for the cameras) but I thought I saw him say he has no intention of leaving the Ducks organization. And I'd be shocked if he doesn't re-sign with us in the off season.

It may sound crazy, but I don't think this team really understood how much passion, energy, and cohesiveness Perry brought. Getz (and thus, the team) hasn't REALLY been the same since Perry left. Sure, the writing was on the wall, but I think he was holding this team up a lot more than people thought despite not putting up the same numbers. Just like when our D coach changed Mansion/our D looked noticeably different...same with Getz when Perry left.

I still think he re-signs though. And I doubt he gets traded.

I've actually been thinking we need to trade him at the deadline. And Montreal to play with Perry for the cup would be my choice. It's the only reason I watch highlights of their games and look for 94 on the ice. Seriously, Getzy is missing that guy who could battle along the boards like he used to play with Perry. Their games just meshed. I really miss that dominance and I think he misses Perry on his wing. Sure he was no longer the Hart winner, but he did still bring a lot to the team. I think it's evident that Getzy hasn't meshed well with the other players like he had that chemistry with Pears. So Montreal would be my vote as I already follow them. With the way this year has gone I would mind them hoisting the cup over there. 

• Like 2

Bob imho needs to go....Right now....Dallas Eakins should not.....Scapegoating Coach is common But it's clear to all Ducks Fans Bob's failure to make a trade to get player we need is imho accountability issue.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1