The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
DucksFan_08

Fire Murray and Eakins ´protest´

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

How does Chicago keep drafting/developing great players?? Panarin, Debrincat, Kubalik, Crawford, Niemi, Lankenin....I'm sure there are more. I mean, besides like Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, Dach obviously lol...but yeah...or at least getting so much out of them?

Also, I was shocked at Florida doing so well...then remembered who their coach was lol....

Both of their waves of good players were primarily a result of being in the cellar for several years in a row.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Both of their waves of good players were primarily a result of being in the cellar for several years in a row.

And hitting on later picks. Outside of Toews, Kane, and Dach (probably), none of Chicago's good players were picked in the top-10. In fact, I'm not sure there's a team has MISSED on more first round picks than the Blackhawks have over the past 20 years.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/draft.html

4 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think that's totally accurate.  I mean, of course their first wave was the result of some very high picks, but this later wave of talent has been great scouting and development.  

That link that dtsdlaw shared is handy with the stats right in line.  In looking at that, it looks like Debrincat is the biggest hit, with a few others that were traded away.

Also looks like 2011 had a ton of picks, which helped them build both talent and tradeable assets, which I think they were till picking up through 2008.  They also may have come through trades that helped them get to the last Cup, but have been paying the price since.

• Like 1

i've always seen Chicago as having a decent development program.  seemed to stretch past any one head coach's tenure, but the jury is still out on Colliton.  

the Chicago area seems to have a pretty deep infrastructure for hockey.  makes sense.

22 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well at least we weren't down 9-0 after the 2nd period like Philly was to Rangers tonight.

everyone is exhausted.

13 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

So the Sabres have fired their coach during a 10 game losing streak and a stretch of two wins in their last 15 games. What do the Ducks do or more so Murray, lose 9 straight and win two "coach is doing a great job". Ducks only have 2 wins in their last 15 games too. Just giving more reason why Murray needs to go. He thinks losing is doing a great job. Rember RC. Two losing streaks over 10 games and he still didnt want to fire him.

NO ACOUNTABILITY or ERGENCY for the ducks 

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Well at least we weren't down 9-0 after the 2nd period like Philly was to Rangers tonight.

not yet but the season ain't over...

9 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I don't think that's totally accurate.  I mean, of course their first wave was the result of some very high picks, but this later wave of talent has been great scouting and development.  

Yeah, I mean, I get the sense Chicago has really good development somewhere in their system...good scouting, too, sure. They probably go together.

Why can't we look at what is happening there and just mimic it? lol

On 3/15/2021 at 7:27 PM, g20topdogg said:

Nah, I don't see him coaching. 

I could see Bieksa and Scotty though. Scotty just has that leadership ability I think. And I'm surprised at Bieksa sometimes. If you've ever seen him on what is it TSN? He discusses situations and analyzes plays well I think. 

He is surprisingly competent as a TV analyst. I say surprisingly because skating around aimlessly like a headless chicken and performing snow angels on the ice were the only two moves in his defensive repertoire while he was collecting millions in Anaheim. I'd give him credit for the superman punches but those get canceled out by the countless times he'd skate into a scrum just to throw someone on top of Gibson. Worst Duck of all time. At least Shattenkirk has been stinking up the place on a team that's going nowhere.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, saskduckfan said:

So the Sabres have fired their coach during a 10 game losing streak and a stretch of two wins in their last 15 games. What do the Ducks do or more so Murray, lose 9 straight and win two "coach is doing a great job". Ducks only have 2 wins in their last 15 games too. Just giving more reason why Murray needs to go. He thinks losing is doing a great job. Rember RC. Two losing streaks over 10 games and he still didnt want to fire him.

Additional problem. It's very probable players don't want to be here or stay here. Imagine Gibson saying he wants out. That'll work wonders for his trade value should it come to that.
Fun times for Zegras. Kid wants to play in the NHL and finds out the AHL team is better.
If Samueli is down with it we have money to spend but who would want to come? It's not that we've been trending upward after that san jose whooping in the Playoffs 2 (or is it 3?) years ago. 

So I'll say it again, fire Murray and Eakins. Hire a new GM (don't care who) and start making moves or maybe wait till after the ed (as not to lose anybody valuable). There's going to be possibilities, there is money if the owners say so. Turn this thing around and we'll be a Playoff team in 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't be very surprised if this nightmare continues and we see both Gibson and Zegras asking for trades. Don't think they want to see their future go down in nothing the next 5 years.

Please fire Murray and Eakins. Please.

1 hour ago, Duckeer said:

Well, I wouldn't be very surprised if this nightmare continues and we see both Gibson and Zegras asking for trades. Don't think they want to see their future go down in nothing the next 5 years.

Please fire Murray and Eakins. Please.

Gibson is untradeable anymore, due to his poor performance and huge contract. The last thing I heard that Buffalo offer for him is no longer on the table. Zegras is too young to demand anything. So, don't worry, nobody is going anywhere except Heinen and Rakell.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, FanSince1993 said:

Gibson is untradeable anymore, due to his poor performance and huge contract. The last thing I heard that Buffalo offer for him is no longer on the table. Zegras is too young to demand anything. So, don't worry, nobody is going anywhere except Heinen and Rakell.

Those 2 our Ducks need to Demand Returns that Benefit them...I AM TIRED of Front Office being timid and paranoid about losing their Futures.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 3/16/2021 at 10:57 PM, Spike1981 said:

keep Mahura out of the line up, if he plays, if we don't want lose him at ED Seattle... if he makes another 10 games he is available for Seattle...

was just told that Mahura is eligible for the ED regardless.  Dan Wood: First- and second-year pros are exempt from the expansion draft. Mahura is in his third year of pro hockey, so he would need to be protected, or be available to Seattle.

if there's a tweak on the rule that makes Mahura not eligible, let me know and I'll pass along.

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

was just told that Mahura is eligible for the ED regardless.  Dan Wood: First- and second-year pros are exempt from the expansion draft. Mahura is in his third year of pro hockey, so he would need to be protected, or be available to Seattle.

if there's a tweak on the rule that makes Mahura not eligible, let me know and I'll pass along.

Unfortunately there isn't which is why some of us have been concerned that he'd be the Seattle pick. Especially, since it's a crime against hockey that he's getting sat while Hutton and Larsson can do no wrong to be taken out of the lineup.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Unfortunately there isn't which is why some of us have been concerned that he'd be the Seattle pick. Especially, since it's a crime against hockey that he's getting sat while Hutton and Larsson can do no wrong to be taken out of the lineup.

it makes me think Bob is protecting him, to be honest. He seems very protective of Mahura. I think he gets protected. At this point, I would say it's probably Rakell, Silfv, Terry, Lundestrom, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, and Mahura protected.

Leaves some good options for Seattle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

I saw on the capfriendly ED tool... there he has still (https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle)

why he has still 16 games requirement and you must protect him?! can't catch that.

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I saw on the capfriendly ED tool... there he has still (https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle)

why he has still 16 games requirement and you must protect him?! can't catch that.

The Ducks must leave available 2 forwards and 1 defenseman who have played at least 27 games this season or 54 games combined the last two seasons. Mahura needs 16 more games if the Ducks want to use him to meet the 27/54 requirement. All players checked on the tool meet the 27/54 rule, and if they aren’t checked it says how many games they have remaining (GR) until they do. But if they don’t meet it, that doesn’t mean they’re exempt and don’t need a protected spot. There is a separate list there that shows which players are exempt from being drafted.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

I think Shatt and Rico are left exposed mostly 'cause there's no way they are taken with their age and contracts and performance. Although, to be fair, we've all been very hard on him (me almost entirely lol)...but he has quietly become the 4th highest in points on our team...and Adam "why-the-hell-was-he-waived" Henrique is third lol Rakell, Comtois, Rico, Shatt/Fowler. Also interesting that Steel has more points than Lundy but I still think Steel is left exposed and Lundy isn't.

58 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I think Shatt and Rico are left exposed mostly 'cause there's no way they are taken with their age and contracts and performance. Although, to be fair, we've all been very hard on him (me almost entirely lol)...but he has quietly become the 4th highest in points on our team...and Adam "why-the-hell-was-he-waived" Henrique is third lol Rakell, Comtois, Rico, Shatt/Fowler. Also interesting that Steel has more points than Lundy but I still think Steel is left exposed and Lundy isn't.

Hate to sound Clinche but we may wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 minutes ago, MooseDuck said:

Hate to sound Clinche but we may wait and see.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

yep! but in my attempt to be optimistic and realistic.... and barring any sort of roster change or big dip or excel in a players performance... I'm calling it to be:

Rakell, Silfv, Terry, Lundestrom, Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Mahura, and Gibson protected.

... :P 

Seattle will have some OPTIONS! Steel, Jones, Milano, Heinen, Larsson...maybe even take Guhle but unlikely.

12 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

it makes me think Bob is protecting him, to be honest. He seems very protective of Mahura. I think he gets protected. At this point, I would say it's probably Rakell, Silfv, Terry, Lundestrom, Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, and Mahura protected.

Leaves some good options for Seattle.

I hope so and I think that’s a pretty solid protection list. If the Ducks went that route then I think Max Jones is going to be a Kraken, which would suck because I like what he brings to the team. We’ll have to see if the Ducks make a deadline move such as on Rakell that changes the protection slot outlook.

^^I don’t think Milano will need a protected spot unless he emerges from the concussion protocols and shows he’s healthy again before season’s end.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I hope that's not the list.  I don't see any reason to protect Manson at this point.  He's been ineffective or hurt for three seasons now.  If Manson can get healthy, the Ducks should hope to get trade deadline rental return for him, since I'd bet any team that picks him up would also expose him.  To be fair, Mahura isn't that good either, but he also hasn't been done any favors by the coaching staff and he's still got some development left.

I'd protect: 

• F: Silf, Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, Jones and two of the three of Heinen, Steel, and Milano
  • D Lindholm, Fowler, Mahura
  • G: Stolarz (just kidding)

Let the Kraken choose between Henrique and Manson or Shattenkirk if they want.  If there's something that throws a wrench in this, it's Shattenkirk.  Bob loves Manson, but I think he may protect Shattenkirk just out of principal.  

Completely agree. I would rather go 7/3 to protect more guys, and if we have to protect Mahura over Manson then so be it. I like Manson but his scoring stats are not all that impressive anyway (25 points in his last 130 games) and he has missed significant time this season and last. I get that defense isn't all about points and he brings physicality and can eat minutes but I don't know if that's a good enough reason to protect him over Mahura who still has more potential upside. Manson is just not the same player he was 3 years ago. Really, it's too bad we didn't trade him to Toronto when his value was high.

Re: Mahura. I am still hoping we see a breakout from him at some point. Comparing to Shea Theodore since he was the last young defenseman we lost at the ED: Mahura is the same age now as Theo was when he scored 29 points in 61 games for Vegas. Comparing their numbers to start their careers: Mahura has 12 points in 39 games over 3 seasons. Theo had 17 points in his first 53 games over 2 seasons. Basically the same rate of scoring. The last thing we want is to lose another young defenseman only to see him flourish on his new expansion team.

Edited by nieder

43 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm sure you're correct here. I wasn't aware of what his injury situation was.  In which case, protect Heinen and Steel.

The bolded is what scares me for the upcoming draft.  When Manson's name first started popping up in trade rumors, the reporting from everyone is that the Ducks were asking for the moon, and I'll never forget one quote in particular from an unnamed front office person: "You don't love your children as much as the Ducks love Josh Manson."  That has to have faded some over the last few frustrating seasons, but I'm worried that enough still lingers that Manson will be protected while one of the kids will be exposed.  I don't mind keeping Manson around as a third pairing guy for his final season (in fact, I'd love to see him paired with Mahura), but there's no need to give up a longer term asset to protect Manson.

What's so crazy to me is that basically by exposing Manson...you get to protect THREE more kids.... Heinen, Steel, and Jones....'cause you're now doing the 7 forwards, 3 D. So, on that, you'd think it makes sense to protect Steel, Jones, Heinen (if Milano is not eligible) instead of letting all 3 be exposed for Manson protection.

Personally, I'm not sure if losing 1 of Steel, Heinen, or Jones is gonna break the team. I personally haven't given up on Manson. And with Drysdale emerging, I wonder what that would do to Manson. To me, his issues has been the coaching staff and him being misused. Pairing him with Mahura would be interesting.

What's our ideal D pairing right now? Lindholm/Drysdale, Fowler/Hawk, Mahura/Manson? I still think with a better coaching staff for D Lindholm/Manson is great. I know he's been bad/injured these past few seasons. I just personally haven't given up on him.

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

I'm sure you're correct here. I wasn't aware of what his injury situation was.  In which case, protect Heinen and Steel.

The bolded is what scares me for the upcoming draft.  When Manson's name first started popping up in trade rumors, the reporting from everyone is that the Ducks were asking for the moon, and I'll never forget one quote in particular from an unnamed front office person: "You don't love your children as much as the Ducks love Josh Manson."  That has to have faded some over the last few frustrating seasons, but I'm worried that enough still lingers that Manson will be protected while one of the kids will be exposed.  I don't mind keeping Manson around as a third pairing guy for his final season (in fact, I'd love to see him paired with Mahura), but there's no need to give up a longer term asset to protect Manson.

I also don't really expect Heinen to still be here after April 12th. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

Even if you haven't given up on him, he's got one more season left on his deal at $4.1 million.  With his play the last few seasons, he might not even be worth that, and it seems unlikely the Ducks will re-sign him.  This is a team that needs to go young.  If losing a kid like Jones, who could turn into a solid 2nd/3rd line power forward in a couple years, won't break the team, losing an oft-injured guy for one season (a season in which the Ducks will most likely be bad) surely won't break the team.  The chances that Manson is a positive contributor on the next good Ducks team is far less than Jones, Steel, or Heinen.

Yeah, his injuries are something that is a growing concern to me....but i mean, if we're protecting him, I'd imagine we plan to re-sign him. And yeah, you're right with the bolded, and I will say when I think about Manson, it's more about the current team than the "next good Ducks team"...like...right NOW....we scratch Jones or Steel or Heinen and there's some negative effect, but it's not as big of a negative effect as having lost Manson for as long as we have. That's really what I'm getting at for not breaking the team. But, yeah, that's not thinking much about the future "good Ducks team"