The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
JiggyToTheCup

Zegras skated w/Steel and #33 today

1 minute ago, Fisix said:

they've already been sitting/scratching players for lack of performance, publicly.  the team has come out dead as doornails multiple times, and is erratic as all hell.  if the locker room isn't poisoned right now, then i'm even more worried.

i'm not so much concerned with shots that don't go in... more about shots not taken, and huge lacks of commitment and consistency on the ice.  Adam WAS one of the hardest working - he's been abysmal this season.

That's because of the talent around him.   Like I said, he needs good players around him.

Not buying that lack of talent equates to a toxic locker room.  There's an extreme lack of offensive talent.   Terry and Jones are just brutal on offense.

2 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

Gotta have fun.  If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

The dude creates space. It's amazing at 19, that he does this so well already.

Watch every game this year, and we RARELY have seen anyone create any space. And then they get frustrated and grip the sticks. Vicious cycle.

12 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

The dude creates space. It's amazing at 19, that he does this so well already.

Watch every game this year, and we RARELY have seen anyone create any space. And then they get frustrated and grip the sticks. Vicious cycle.

Gotta figure every single Ducks' fan who can will be watching tomorrow's game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I obviously have not a clue about the reason, but this makes the most sense to me.

They need offense, he's kicking ass in the A.  Give him some games.  I will not be surprised if he gets sent back to the A for more games.

I also will not be surprised if he comes up and never looks back.

Yeah, Eakins said he'll be on the PP right away which is exactly what you'd expect. If nothing else, Zegras should help with that. 

I'll be euphorically shocked if he never looks back after this call up just because I think he'll have parts of his game that the organization will want him to work on in San Diego. He only has 12 total AHL games at this point and will likely have some NHL growing pains. The Ducks aren't going anywhere this season even with Zegras anyway, IMO. Also, I think that the Ducks may want him to continue getting familiar playing with Drysdale, Perreault and Tracey before they have to return to their junior teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommer-1 said:

ultra-confident kid

this. For some players, yeah, I'd be concerned about bringing them into "this situation" but Z...he...he's got confidence and is cocky...I don't get the sense he's the kind of guy that will allow a toxic locker room to get to him. I get the sense if there is one and he sees it...he'll think he's the one who can save the day and be the hero. If someone says something negative to him...he'd be the one who would then go out and prove them wrong. The team will hopefully be excited to see Z up and maybe even put them in more check. Like, "hey! there's a kid here who is gonna be observing everything you do...be a fraking good example!"

Zegras coming up is not going to change the fortunes of this team.  The Ducks are a bad team.  Murray needs to be canned sooner than later.

• Like 2

so much pressure on his shoulders, I don't know if that is good for him at this age...

in the next days we will see it, what our path will be. if he delievers what we hope, we will be happy... its Murray's last poker card he plays now.

but if it now works out, of course we can still say: Z needs more time and the hope is still there. but if that the case, we should suddently make the total rebuild! maybe then also Murray realizes it..

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

so much pressure on his shoulders, I don't know if that is good for him at this age...

in the next days we will see it, what our path will be. if he delievers what we hope, we will be happy... its Murray's last poker card he plays now.

but if it now works out, of course we can still say: Z needs more time and the hope is still there. but if that the case, we should suddently make the total rebuild! maybe then also Murray realizes it..

Hopeful Ducks Uilitize him well...and Understand for getting the best out of him...he should be paire with 2 players that can help develop his skills.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

by everyone but him.  He'll be fine.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tommer-1 said:

Bob doesn't call him up, he's an idiot.

Bob calls him up, he's an idiot. 

I think we can all agree on this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I'd rather they try him at C to be honest. 

Nah, let him get used to the speed of the NHL without the defensive responsibilities of center.

I'm surprised they aren't playing him at C in the AHL though, or at least they weren't at first, maybe that has changed?

16 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

explain this poisoned locker room to me.

They are extremely inconsistent, and the bad games tend to be streaky and coupled with a body language of fear and/or nerves.  That generally comes from bad energy in the locker snowballing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nieder said:

Nah, let him get used to the speed of the NHL without the defensive responsibilities of center.

I'm surprised they aren't playing him at C in the AHL though, or at least they weren't at first, maybe that has changed?

Dineen has been giving him some looks at center. Not full time, but enough to get his feet wet. I'm sure that's where they want him to play long term.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Dineen has been giving him some looks at center. Not full time, but enough to get his feet wet. I'm sure that's where they want him to play long term.

Awesome.

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

They are extremely inconsistent, and the bad games tend to be streaky and coupled with a body language of fear and/or nerves.  That generally comes from bad energy in the locker snowballing.

I agree with this, buy poisoned to me is Tony D Angelo in the locker room.

Edited by JiggyToTheCup
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

I agree with this, buy poisoned to me is Tony D Angelo in the locker room.

They look defeated when they get behind by 1 goal. When they pull the goalie at the end of the game they typically don't even get a shot on net, let alone any sustained pressure in the attacking zone. I don't know if that means the locker room is poisoned, and obviously part of their inability to comeback from deficits is their overall inability to score goals. But there also seems to be something mentally wrong with the team, they come out for the third period down by 1 goal and have zero energy.

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

He has? Because Every Gulls game I've watched/listened to he has been tied to Carrick's hip/wing.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Awesome.

I don't know.  Hope they don't "Rakell" him, and force a kid who is much more effective at wing to play, and not be effective, at C.

11 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

I don't know.  Hope they don't "Rakell" him, and force a kid who is much more effective at wing to play, and not be effective, at C.

How do we know Zegras is more effective at wing? We haven't really seen him much at center but he is a playmaker. Did he not play center for the US Development Team? He was drafted as a center.

Edited by nieder

18 minutes ago, tommer-1 said:

He has? Because Every Gulls game I've watched/listened to he has been tied to Carrick's hip/wing.

He’s played mostly with Carrick and DeLeo but he’s also been given a few shifts here and  there from what I saw, mostly at the end of periods just to give him a quick look. I think the organization wants him at center but is giving him plenty of time to adjust to the speed of the pro game.

14 minutes ago, nieder said:

How do we know Zegras is more effective at wing? We haven't really seen him much at center but he is a playmaker. Did he not play center for the US Development Team? He was drafted as a center.

My theory here is that they want him to be a center but first they’re trying to build his confidence that he can score goals at the pro level, and that this is just part of the process for making him a multifaceted offensive threat. They already know he can pass, and they’ll work on his defense, face offs, etc as they go along. It’s like the approach Colorado took with MacKinnon, except that we don’t have a Stastny or Duchene to play with him.

Yeah, I'm ok with Z not being C right away. Getz wasn't either when he first started. Honestly, I'd love to see him with a BETTER C than Steel....Backes would be great to "C" him with lol He should earn Getz...although I'd love to see what a Z-Getz-Rakell line could do.... or switch Rakell w/ Silfv.

At C...I'd love to see a Comtois - Z - Silf or Rakell.....at some point. Maybe not right away.

9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

My theory here is that they want him to be a center but first they’re trying to build his confidence that he can score goals at the pro level, and that this is just part of the process for making him a multifaceted offensive threat. They already know he can pass, and they’ll work on his defense, face offs, etc as they go along. It’s like the approach Colorado took with MacKinnon, except that we don’t have a Stastny or Duchene to play with him.

Which makes complete sense, I remember Getzlaf playing some games on the wing when he first came up to the NHL too. It's not at all uncommon.

34 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Yeah, I'm ok with Z not being C right away. Getz wasn't either when he first started. Honestly, I'd love to see him with a BETTER C than Steel....Backes would be great to "C" him with lol He should earn Getz...although I'd love to see what a Z-Getz-Rakell line could do.... or switch Rakell w/ Silfv.

At C...I'd love to see a Comtois - Z - Silf or Rakell.....at some point. Maybe not right away.

Maybe a total flop, but what about moving Rakell back to center with Zegras and Silfverberg on his wings? Then try Comtois with Getzlaf, since it looks like Max is the only Duck who can finish anything these days.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Maybe a total flop, but what about moving Rakell back to center with Zegras and Silfverberg on his wings? Then try Comtois with Getzlaf, since it looks like Max is the only Duck who can finish anything these days.

Ya know...I've been thinking about Rakell at center a lot lately as he seems to be showing more center abilities lately haha...would be interesting! Comtois + Getzlaf could be pretty great.

24 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

Ya know...I've been thinking about Rakell at center a lot lately as he seems to be showing more center abilities lately haha...would be interesting! Comtois + Getzlaf could be pretty great.

It seems like he can't score, but he has had some really nice passes to set up goals. Maybe he should have been a playmaking center all along, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

That's because of the talent around him.   Like I said, he needs good players around him.

Not buying that lack of talent equates to a toxic locker room.  There's an extreme lack of offensive talent.   Terry and Jones are just brutal on offense.

i think they've tried Hank with various different linemates, including Silf, Getz, RR, FrenchyD, the rooks, Max, Backes... since the beginning of this season, Hank has failed to be effective with any linemate.  he's had the best we have to give, and i think at some point if he's not getting what he wants, he has to step up and provide it... and instead he looks like he's sulking 80-90% of the time.  

whichever the reason, he's choosing to be at least part of the issue with his performance, unless he's injured (it's extremely unlikely the Ducks would treat him this way if that was the case, and they knew about it).  

it's a separate discussion as to whether the Ducks are handling whatever is going on the "right way."  neither side here should have let this situation happen.

but, that's part of the locker room poison statement.  there's a soap opera happening in the team right now - granted not like DeAngelo.  it feels more like the two superstars that were benched then traded a month ago... a battle of stubborn wills, probably fed by the general frustrations that come with being under pandemic rules for so long, along with all the other financial concerns in the NHL right now.

10 hours ago, nieder said:

He excelled at WJC this year at wing, and has excelled in the A at wing. He played not a second at C in the WJC this season, and I'd be very curious to see how many FO's he's taken with the Gulls in 8 games. My guess is very few. I've watched or listened to almost every game and he's been playing on Carrick's wing.

He just seems to be a VERY effective, efficient, dangerous player on the wing, rushing up the wing and cutting to the middle, creating offense with the puck down around the bottom of the circle.

We'll see where he ends up. I just hope they play him where he can do the most damage.