The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

Kid looks good. But Bob's going to trade our 1st rd pick in a package for Eichel.

1 hour ago, WolfgangDuck said:

The guy I think the Ducks desperately need.  Big 6' 6" 214 lb. 18 year old.  The race is on!  Tank it boys!

Yeah, the Ducks still need everything and it depends where the Ducks end up drafting but I’d actually give an edge to Clarke or Hughes as far as defensemen go. Certain won’t complain if they add Power. Unless they plan to ship out a key d-man then I think that they will go forward. If the Ducks get a top two pick then I’d go with Berniers or Clarke but you can easily make a case for Power, Hughes, Lysell also. I’m not enamored with any particular prospect this year but there is likely to be a really good one for us to get.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

he looks great.  not sure if we want to draft another d-man right now.  decent ones seem relatively cheap right now, and probably will be in the future.  i don't know why we paid so much for the Shatt.

4 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

The guy I think the Ducks desperately need.  Big 6' 6" 214 lb. 18 year old.  The race is on!  Tank it boys!

Highly Unlikely our Ducks will be Drafting him...Plus I disagree with the Tanking.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

6 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Wish he was 6’ 6” 235 pounds . 

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Highly Unlikely our Ducks will be Drafting him...Plus I disagree with the Tanking.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Well if we've learned anything the past couple years, our Ducks don't tank.  But I won't get too upset with losses from here on out.

1 hour ago, WolfgangDuck said:

Well if we've learned anything the past couple years, our Ducks don't tank.  But I won't get too upset with losses from here on out.

It's going to get frustrating...the way I see it this short season is trial by error.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

he looks great.  not sure if we want to draft another d-man right now.  decent ones seem relatively cheap right now, and probably will be in the future.  i don't know why we paid so much for the Shatt.

I look at it as who knows what the team's needs will be in 2-4 years? There are so many unknowns going forward. If we have to move Manson or Lindholm (maybe for some offensive help/assets) then having another high end defensive prospect could be very beneficial long-term. A future blueline of Drysdale, Hughes/Power/Clark, Fowler, Lindholm/Manson, Thrun and LaCombe looks extremely promising. Plus, Murray will likely be making this pick and doesn't need much of a reason to draft a defensemen.

Shattenkirk is whatever. He's only got two more years on his contract and the Ducks might be able to move him before then. He has a Cup to his name that a contender might want. He isn't going to prohibit the Ducks from a cap perspective more than Henrique or Silfverberg are. 

12 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I look at it as who knows what the team's needs will be in 2-4 years? There are so many unknowns going forward. If we have to move Manson or Lindholm (maybe for some offensive help/assets) then having another high end defensive prospect could be very beneficial long-term. A future blueline of Drysdale, Hughes/Power/Clark, Fowler, Lindholm/Manson, Thrun and LaCombe looks extremely promising. Plus, Murray will likely be making this pick and doesn't need much of a reason to draft a defensemen.

Shattenkirk is whatever. He's only got two more years on his contract and the Ducks might be able to move him before then. He has a Cup to his name that a contender might want. He isn't going to prohibit the Ducks from a cap perspective more than Henrique or Silfverberg are. 

That I agree...SO many unknowns that truly need Solutions. To Fix the Problem Ducks must ensure the Cure to the Problem. That Problem being Bob Murray and Dallas Eakins.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Unless we can convince Seattle to take him, his contract will likely be unmovable. It’s structured to be so. He has a 12-team NTC and the salary for the three years is $2.5M-$4.25M-$4.95M, so he’ll be making almost $5M in the final year of that contract when he’s 34. Who takes a 34-year-old Shattenkirk at a nearly $5M price tag?? And unlike Silf, who will be a good/great defensive forward on any line until the end of his contract, Shatt will almost certainly be blocking a kid from taking their rightful spot in the lineup. And while his cap hit may seem tolerable, his actual salary will be impactful because we all know this team operates on an internal budget. Shattenkirk is basically Bieksa 2.0 without the Superman punches. Now watch GMBM protect him in the ED at the expense of Mahura too...

Just now, dtsdlaw said:

Unless we can convince Seattle to take him, his contract will likely be unmovable. It’s structured to be so. He has a 12-team NTC and the salary for the three years is $2.5M-$4.25M-$4.95M, so he’ll be making almost $5M in the final year of that contract when he’s 34. Who takes a 34-year-old Shattenkirk at a nearly $5M price tag?? And unlike Silf, who will be a good/great defensive forward on any line until the end of his contract, Shatt will almost certainly be blocking a kid from taking their rightful spot in the lineup. And while his cap hit may seem tolerable, his actual salary will be impactful because we all know this team operates on an internal budget. Shattenkirk is basically Bieksa 2.0 without the Superman punches. Now watch GMBM protect him in the ED at the expense of Mahura too...

I’d bet on him being protected over Mahura knowing Murray and I’m more concerned about that than his contract. The Ducks aren’t going anywhere during the remainder of Shattenkirk’s term IMO and I think that one of the biggest reasons why he was signed in the first was as a hedge for possibly Manson or even Lindholm. Because I doubt that anyone truly believed he was the missing piece to a playoff puzzle....well except Murray :( 
So, I don’t think he’ll be blocking a d-man, most obvious being Drysdale, from coming up, if they are ready...or at least I hope not. 

The internal budget of the Ducks is a good point but in the final year of Shattenkirk’s contract they will have a mega ton of cap space to absorb it and they could always retain some if needed. I don’t think it’s going to prohibit the Ducks much even if they have to eat it. By then, Shattenkirk might want out to go play for a better team and up his value for one final contract.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Now watch GMBM protect him in the ED at the expense of Mahura too...

I'm not too worried about that, to be honest. Maybe I'm being too optimistic...but I'd have to imagine BM is being super over protected of Mahura. He seems to be from what I've heard. Also I think he's probably gonna protect Rakell...just from hearing about how the price for him is "too high"...

I'm more worried he's gonna extend Getz before the season is over and give him another NMC lol

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm not too worried about that, to be honest. Maybe I'm being too optimistic...but I'd have to imagine BM is being super over protected of Mahura. He seems to be from what I've heard. Also I think he's probably gonna protect Rakell...just from hearing about how the price for him is "too high"...

I'm more worried he's gonna extend Getz before the season is over and give him another NMC lol

I think it's more likely Getzlaf gets the Teemu treatment - i.e. Bob will leave cap space open for him each summer and then Getz will make a cute video telling us fans whether he plans to return for just one more season. Maybe by year three of that charade, Teemu will even make a guest appearance in the video... :lol:

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:07 PM, dtsdlaw said:

I think it's more likely Getzlaf gets the Teemu treatment - i.e. Bob will leave cap space open for him each summer and then Getz will make a cute video telling us fans whether he plans to return for just one more season. Maybe by year three of that charade, Teemu will even make a guest appearance in the video... :lol:

IF that Happens I will buy you a drink IF that happens...j/k.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

Owen Power is not the answer I beleive Ducks are looking for imho. Clearly we need is Forward nothing more.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooseDuck said:

Owen Power is not the answer I beleive Ducks are looking for imho. Clearly we need is Forward nothing more.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

This is a draft where they probably just have to go with the best player available, even if it’s at a position they don’t currently need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

This is a draft where they probably just have to go with the best player available, even if it’s at a position they don’t currently need.

I think you should be doing that always. 

23 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

In the first round, at least.  You can make the argument in later rounds that addressing organizational holes at given positions outweighs a much smaller difference between two players' respective skill levels or projections.  But in the first round, unless two players are truly dead even in your evaluation and position is a tie-breaker, always draft the best player available.

I think you can actually make that argument in the first round too in some circumstances. For example, I've seen mock drafts for this year guessing that the Ducks will draft Wallstedt (G) in the middle of the top-10. If the Ducks indeed draft at #6-8 and Wallstedt is the BPA on the board, do you advocate taking him? Or do you look more strongly at organizational needs, like center or scoring winger. I'd also argue that taking BPA when we drafted Larsson at #27 in 2015 didn't make much sense. When Larsson was drafted, we had Fowler (23), Lindholm (21), Theodore (20), and Pettersson (19) - all left-shot D-men - already in the system. Not that there were a lot of great players taken after him, but did it really make sense to add Larsson to the left side of the defense at that time? 

i think it sort of depends on the state of the team.  at this point, with our depth and distribution of players, i'd pick the strongest center and scoring winger we could get and that wouldn't be around in the 2nd round.  the only caveat is whether there was a D or G that looked to be another Z or Drys that we'd have to overlook to take the F.  it would be an embarrassment of riches situation, but having a prospect to trade to get a decent prime player would be nice.  and, we have a known decent development pipeline for Gs.  i once would have said the same for Ds, but that might have left the building recently.

6'6" 214 lbs at 18!?!? ...I mean, would he be someone like Pronger? I mean, like...a big, rough, physical presence with a mean shot, can run a PP and punish the other team in our zone? 'cause.......organizational need or not...having someone like that to compliment Drysdale would be INSANE.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

At -47 being the worst in the league, the Ducks have needs all around except for goalie. Also, after seeing the whooping they took against Vegas, this organizination needs more than just draft picks to get back on track. 

16 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

At -47 being the worst in the league, the Ducks have needs all around except for goalie. Also, after seeing the whooping they took against Vegas, this organizination needs more than just draft picks to get back on track. 

That I agree which I beleive Trades must be made....cept it should be done under a NEW GM or Ducks should force well...lol Bob to make move.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck