The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks

4 hours ago, Fisix said:

i guess that's one way to mischaracterize the series of deductions i posted, all based on what we've seen play out on the ice and at the various press conferences held by, and other conversations with, BM.  the quoted language also apparently infers that the "coach has lost the room" posts that've been made fairly consistently since the RC days aren't all fairly dated assumptions about NHL player psychology; that inference doesn't seem like a reasonable take.

people blaming Eakins for the current team dynamic and performance are in denial about how weak the team is, and in particular, how weakly our vets have been playing.  people wanting to swap Eakins out for another coach are inferring a bunch of team psychology effects (magically occurring after such swap) that have no basis in how the team dynamic has worked since before BB was fired.

it doesn't take a psychology doctorate to figure out that BM is piddleed at the vets, and it also doesn't take a psychology doctorate to figure that it's because he's asked them to do something that he thinks they can do, but that he thinks they aren't doing.  it also doesn't take a doctorate in team history to figure out that BM's displeasure with the current veteran lineup has been around for more than 2 seasons.

deducing from that very reasonable set of knowns that our current performance and team dynamic is all Eakins' fault (or even that it's all BM's fault) doesn't make any sense.  furthermore, none of the coaching changes we've seen in the NHL over the past 3-4 years indicates a coaching change with this team and under these conditions would get the Ducks where we want them to go.  at best, some other coach could come in and maybe scrape together a few extra wins over the course of this season, but it'd cost throwing the entire team development plan completely out the window. 

no matter what the Ducks do, it's going to take more time than what they've used so far to get out of the pit.  i wish Eakins had gotten a fairer shake by the veterans on the team, and while that dynamic takes two to tango (or tank), based on what i've seen watching most (98%, 99%?) of the home games in person over the past 5 years, i put the blame for any failings in that dynamic on the veterans - they've proven (to me) that they aren't as self-reliant, as a group, as vets on other teams, both in terms of policing their own game by game performance AND in terms of assisting the team in turning rookies into dependable, highly performing NHL players.  they need to turn that around under Eakins before I'll feel they'll be able to take additional steps under a better coach.

that last is about my psychology, not the teams'.

I'm still not agreeing with what you're saying. Special teams are garbage, lines are a jumbled mess, players are strangely deployed, defensive structure has tanked since Yawney left. Yes, I think Yawney brought out the best in our defense, he's a perfect example of why I don't agree that it's not a coaching issue. The players are obviously to blame here as well. 

If you're suggesting the vets are the problem, do we trade them all? Do we strip Getzy of the C like the sharks with Thornton? We had some good playoff runs where I think we really had a chance to win the cup. Did we choke in game 7s? Yes. It could go both ways though, BB or the players? Both should share the blame and I think the players understood that. But to say that it's the vets who quit on the team isn't right as it was pointed out that Silf was praised by GMBM for his leadership ability and got an extension. Besides, if the players were solely to blame we'd see more of them traded off as GMBM was also HCBM for a short time and could see who was doing what. He did say that he had concerns, but besides Perry being bought out who actually left? Kesler is injured. We probably lost some veteran leadership if anything from the loss of those players. 

To me it seems that coaching is the bigger issue currently. I thought we should have gotten rid of the assistants this past off season. And it's too bad that we didn't because maybe, just maybe, we'd be having a different conversation about Eakins. Because as it currently stands it's fair to say that they're an issue but how much of an issue towards Eakins are they or is Eakins just as bad as them?

19 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

To me it seems that coaching is the bigger issue currently. I thought we should have gotten rid of the assistants this past off season. And it's too bad that we didn't because maybe, just maybe, we'd be having a different conversation about Eakins. Because as it currently stands it's fair to say that they're an issue but how much of an issue towards Eakins are they or is Eakins just as bad as them?

i can meet that halfway.  i'm not saying we have stellar coaching in place right now, but the thing i want to scream at the void is that i don't think there's a head coach out there that can short-cut cure the self-responsibility and team-responsibility problems with our veteran players (that in my opinion we've been seeing for years now, across multiple coaches). 

the team is going to mostly look like garbage while the restructuring is happening, but it's the type of looking-like-garbage that matters.  when i see the vets periodically/progressively buying into the present system and putting their heart into the game (and what looks like practices too, when you start to see the lines smoothly transition from D to O and back and forth, like the better teams do regularly), i see something working... and i don't want to mess up even that seemingly slow movement forward by bringing in a new HC.  it would restart the rebuild with no reasonable guarantee of better results (in my eyes).  for now, i'm more willing to shuffle vets than HCs.

you can launch the current assistants to the moon - it doesn't seem like they've made Eakins' job any easier or the players' jobs any easier.  they've failed under three different coaches, in my eyes.

5 hours ago, Fisix said:

i can meet that halfway.  i'm not saying we have stellar coaching in place right now, but the thing i want to scream at the void is that i don't think there's a head coach out there that can short-cut cure the self-responsibility and team-responsibility problems with our veteran players (that in my opinion we've been seeing for years now, across multiple coaches). 

the team is going to mostly look like garbage while the restructuring is happening, but it's the type of looking-like-garbage that matters.  when i see the vets periodically/progressively buying into the present system and putting their heart into the game (and what looks like practices too, when you start to see the lines smoothly transition from D to O and back and forth, like the better teams do regularly), i see something working... and i don't want to mess up even that seemingly slow movement forward by bringing in a new HC.  it would restart the rebuild with no reasonable guarantee of better results (in my eyes).  for now, i'm more willing to shuffle vets than HCs.

you can launch the current assistants to the moon - it doesn't seem like they've made Eakins' job any easier or the players' jobs any easier.  they've failed under three different coaches, in my eyes.

I think it's fair to put some of our current issues on ther vets. This whole season is a giant mess with injuries, our overall play, still a young team, and coaching. I'm not of the opinion that we're going to magically become a playoff team if coaching changes but I think it would definitely help. Especially the assistant coaches. We also don't have much of a team identity right now. Are we a speed team? A tight checking team? A run and gun type? Who are we? GMBM probably doesn't even know. He keeps saying we need speed yet traded Cogs for whatever reason who wasn't slow by any means. We're picking up players who seem to almost be fringe nhlers. That's on Bob. But we're trying to fit square pegs into round holes when coaching takes this bunch and jumbles everything and tries to get players to almost be what they're not. Why are we utilizing Grant and Del in the ways that we do? 

I understand our current circumstances and that our vets are being asked to do things they normally wouldn't. Our vets are also on limited time, they're not getting any younger. Why would they deliberately toss a full season away because they don't like the systems? Seems like it goes both ways. The current system isn't working, players are frustrated and we're going on long losing streaks and quite frankly they seem like yeah maybe they've had enough. Coaching is refusing to change and adapt so we're seeing a vicious cycle. I remember BB was in the hot seat and we weren't scoring, so he could have continued to try to get everyone back but instead we saw a change in the way we approached games. We became a defensive team and were grinding out games 2-1 for example. To me, that's what's missing. Coaching can't adapt and is trying to do the same things over and over, it's not working. Even just in game adjustments, they're not there. We just toss everyone in a blender and hope it works. Yeah I think our vets have probably given up at this point. We're getting a losing culture in the room. I think if you probably ask guys maybe they would secretly like to be moved. It's concerning, this might affect our young guys. We're in serious trouble. I think what needs to happen is coaching needs to change and probably some of our vets need to go. This off season we should definitely make some serious changes. 

15 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

Why would they deliberately toss a full season away because they don't like the systems?

My opinion?  Because that’s similar to how the vets have responded to previous coaches and systems they felt they were done with, and they’ve gotten away with it. RC needed to go, and he should have been removed by BM earlier than he was, but the players still acted completely unprofessionally in the last few games RC was behind the bench. 

Agreed we need to turn things around, on many fronts.  

A small part of me is hoping Getzlaf gets sent to Toronto so he can either bump Thornton and/or Spezza out of the lineup for good, or form an awkward late-2000s superline with those two. I want to see playoff Getzlaf again almost as much as Adam Lowry doesn't want to see playoff Getzlaf again.

• Like 1