The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike8228

New draft rules

1 hour ago, CAsFirstCup said:

For the upcoming draft Seattle will be slotted as if they finished with the 3rd worst record.  So the difference between finishing with the 3rd worst record, as the Ducks currently have, and the 2nd worst record is huge.  Odds of having a top 3 pick would increase from 19.6% to 55.5% if the Ducks fell behind New Jersey or Buffalo in the standings.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

I know this year's draft is more muddled as to who are the top prospects because of the Covid disruption of the junior leagues, but I would still much rather have our scouts picking in the top 3 than 5th or 6th, which is likely to be the case if the current standings hold.  Also, because it's more likely that good prospects are going to fall to later rounds due to the Covid disruption, the picks in the 2nd through 7th round become more important.  I'm not sure, but I believe finishing with the 2nd worst record would have the Ducks picking 2 spots earlier in each of those rounds compared to if they finish 3rd worst.

So for the first time I am going to hope the Ducks lose as many of the remaining games as possible, preferably in regulation.  I have heard the arguments that we shouldn't hope for the Ducks to tank because it creates a losing culture, but the Ducks finished strong each of the past 2 seasons and still played awful in the subsequent seasons.  In short, i don't think winning any or all of the remaining 9 games will make a damn bit of difference to the Ducks' culture going forward.  But losing them could significantly help their future.

So let's go Devils, Sabres, Blue Jackets, and Senators.  And please lose Ducks.

If anything, this should be the 2022 and possibly 2023 season motto for the Ducks. 

Like you said, because of covid really hurting the ability to scout players this year plus the prospect pool is considered weak and then it's a year where getting the first overall pick might not mean as much. The Ducks could get the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick and still get the guy they would have taken if they had won the lottery. Heck, it might be a good year to trade down and get some more picks later on to try and take advantage of undervalued players later in the draft. It's going to be the biggest crapshoot of a draft, imo. 

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Since Buffalo will also have our pick (😛🤞) I don't think it matters. With no Lindholm, Manson (?), Lundestrom, Silf., for the foreseeable future, I don't see the Ducks finishing strong.

I don't know. When was the last time a team as bad as the Ducks are right now traded a top-5 pick? We know that Murray is horny for a top center but even I can't see him giving up that pick (and possibly Zegras) to Buffalo for Eichel lol. If LA wants Eichel they can include their first round pick this year + an Alex Turcotte as the foundation for a package with Buffalo which I don't think that the Ducks could match unless Zegras was included.

55 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

If anything, this should be the 2022 and possibly 2023 season motto for the Ducks. 

Like you said, because of covid really hurting the ability to scout players this year plus the prospect pool is considered weak and then it's a year where getting the first overall pick might not mean as much. The Ducks could get the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick and still get the guy they would have taken if they had won the lottery. Heck, it might be a good year to trade down and get some more picks later on to try and take advantage of undervalued players later in the draft. It's going to be the biggest crapshoot of a draft, imo. 

I don't know. When was the last time a team as bad as the Ducks are right now traded a top-5 pick? We know that Murray is horny for a top center but even I can't see him giving up that pick (and possibly Zegras) to Buffalo for Eichel lol. If LA wants Eichel they can include their first round pick this year + an Alex Turcotte as the foundation for a package with Buffalo which I don't think that the Ducks could match unless Zegras was included.

Intentionally? It doesn't happen often. San Jose and Ottawa both did it recently without meaning to though.

As for the Kings, I know they have the pieces to get Eichel, but can they really build a complete team with $31 million tied up in just 3 players (Doughty, Kopi, Eichel)? Kopi has three more seasons remaining after this at $10M/season and Doughty has 6 more at $11M. You may like LA's long term plan better than ours, but their D and goaltending is a huge issue that isn't going to be solved internally any time soon, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to get Eichel at this moment in their rebuild. Not that they really care about making moves that make sense (coughKovicough).

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

Since Buffalo will also have our pick (😛🤞) I don't think it matters. With no Lindholm, Manson (?), Lundestrom, Silf., for the foreseeable future, I don't see the Ducks finishing strong.

It's not tanking when so many of your best players are injured. The losing culture creeps in when your best players are healthy and the team still can't figure out how to play a decent game. I dislike tanking, but in this situation I'm fine with losing as many of the next nine games as they can. Luckily we have the right coach for the job.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Intentionally? It doesn't happen often. San Jose and Ottawa both did it recently without meaning to though.

As for the Kings, I know they have the pieces to get Eichel, but can they really build a complete team with $31 million tied up in just 3 players (Doughty, Kopi, Eichel)? Kopi has three more seasons remaining after this at $10M/season and Doughty has 6 more at $11M. You may like LA's long term plan better than ours, but their D and goaltending is a huge issue that isn't going to be solved internally any time soon, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to get Eichel at this moment in their rebuild. Not that they really care about making moves that make sense (coughKovicough).

It's not tanking when so many of your best players are injured. The losing culture creeps in when your best players are healthy and the team still can't figure out how to play a decent game. I dislike tanking, but in this situation I'm fine with losing as many of the next nine games as they can. Luckily we have the right coach for the job.

Yeah, that's the huge difference. San Jose and Ottawa traded first round picks with the intention of contending and weren't expecting to have their subsequent seasons implode. They bet on drafting in the late twenties, not the top 5. The Ducks are bad and were likely to get a high pick which naturally makes it far less likely to trade it.

I think that getting Eichel allows for the Kings to take a couple more shots of winning a cup with Doughty and Kopitar while they are still productive though. Otherwise, the Kings have no shot at a Cup until their current prospect pool matures and makes it to the NHL. Kopitar and Eichel down the middle would top notch and Eichel can take over the 1C after Kopitar is gone and have Byfield coming up to create another lethal one, two center combo for several more years. The Kings still have a lot of assets that they can use even after trading for Eichel to help bolster their backend also. Not saying it will work out that way or that LA should do it but LA has more reason and flexibility to pull the trade off than the Ducks do. As far as cap space, the Ducks only have $1.2 mil more in cap space than the Kings do currently going into next season. 

I agree on the tanking part. Injuries don't factor into the strategy. Given the lineups Eakins has iced most of this year, maybe they really are lol

2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

but their D and goaltending is a huge issue that isn't going to be solved internally any time soon

exactly...maybe Peterson is the guy after Quick, but who knows...they do have some time before Byfield and Turccotte are really regulars. And Kayliev.

Also, I just can't root for them to lose. I'd rather see players like Terry and Jones and Fleury and Drysdale etc... look great and make progress and score goals and feel good about the players they are developing into. And also NOT develop bad habits...No player is TRYING to tank or lose. So, I'd rather they win...they will feel better and arguably better players/more confident...but when they ultimately don't...I use the "higher draft pick" as a way to not feel so bad haha

24 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Given the lineups Eakins has iced most of this year, maybe they really are lol

Honestly...I think even right now Eakins/coaching staff is definitely trying to win eevry game and has no intention of "tanking" ....wouldn't think it with the way they coach.......

EDIT: actually, that's not true. I was trying to be funny but I actually think so much of the season from the coaching staff was "feel out the team/players first THEN try to win" so I actually don't think winning was a top priority for the coaching staff this season...they still need to go though...'cause they have not....ugh...have not evolved well....

Edited by Jasoaks
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

exactly...maybe Peterson is the guy after Quick, but who knows...they do have some time before Byfield and Turccotte are really regulars. And Kayliev.

Also, I just can't root for them to lose. I'd rather see players like Terry and Jones and Fleury and Drysdale etc... look great and make progress and score goals and feel good about the players they are developing into. And also NOT develop bad habits...No player is TRYING to tank or lose. So, I'd rather they win...they will feel better and arguably better players/more confident...but when they ultimately don't...I use the "higher draft pick" as a way to not feel so bad haha

Honestly...I think even right now Eakins/coaching staff is definitely trying to win eevry game and has no intention of "tanking" ....wouldn't think it with the way they coach.......

EDIT: actually, that's not true. I was trying to be funny but I actually think so much of the season from the coaching staff was "feel out the team/players first THEN try to win" so I actually don't think winning was a top priority for the coaching staff this season...they still need to go though...'cause they have not....ugh...have not evolved well....

I could not disagree with you more. I absolutely believe Murray and company thought the Ducks would compete for a playoff spot. I have no doubt coaches and management felt we were a top 4 team in our division going into the season.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

For the upcoming draft Seattle will be slotted as if they finished with the 3rd worst record.  So the difference between finishing with the 3rd worst record, as the Ducks currently have, and the 2nd worst record is huge.  Odds of having a top 3 pick would increase from 19.6% to 55.5% if the Ducks fell behind New Jersey or Buffalo in the standings.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

I know this year's draft is more muddled as to who are the top prospects because of the Covid disruption of the junior leagues, but I would still much rather have our scouts picking in the top 3 than 5th or 6th, which is likely to be the case if the current standings hold.  Also, because it's more likely that good prospects are going to fall to later rounds due to the Covid disruption, the picks in the 2nd through 7th round become more important.  I'm not sure, but I believe finishing with the 2nd worst record would have the Ducks picking 2 spots earlier in each of those rounds compared to if they finish 3rd worst.

So for the first time I am going to hope the Ducks lose as many of the remaining games as possible, preferably in regulation.  I have heard the arguments that we shouldn't hope for the Ducks to tank because it creates a losing culture, but the Ducks finished strong each of the past 2 seasons and still played awful in the subsequent seasons.  In short, i don't think winning any or all of the remaining 9 games will make a damn bit of difference to the Ducks' culture going forward.  But losing them could significantly help their future.

So let's go Devils, Sabres, Blue Jackets, and Senators.  And please lose Ducks.

Sadly...we just aren't good.  But Jersey and Columbus are in full tank mode.  Kings have started too IMO.

IMHO Ducks Tanking will serve us no use....Whatever Ducks finish this season..it should not be near the top. With the SQUID HEADS coming to NHL...It's time Our team be the first to swing a Deal with Seattle.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

23 hours ago, dukitup said:

I could not disagree with you more. I absolutely believe Murray and company thought the Ducks would compete for a playoff spot. I have no doubt coaches and management felt we were a top 4 team in our division going into the season.

i knooooooow.....i know that's probably true...i just....i just can't fathom with how they seem to be coaching that they were ACTUALLY trying to win... lol

On 4/25/2021 at 8:39 AM, dukitup said:

you know, though, looking back on it now... for our Dehydrated Donkey Dungty division, we WERE competitive for a playoff spot.  

let's be fair - i think BM did a great job evaluating how the rest of our division would perform this season.  where he was wrong was how badly WE would perform.  i don't think he expected the slump from Hank, Silf, RR, and Getz.  or, if you want to blame it on the coaching staff, i don't think he expected them to be unable to get the team to click over well.

all that is perfectly reasonable, and (don't hate me), it seems like it belies a really excellent eval on how poorly the rest of our division would perform this season.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, dukitup said:

Well 2 words to sum up what I think was the Ducks Managments assumption of our team being top 4 Team in HW....NAIVE IGNORANCE.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

The Ducks are now 2 points out of last place in the league.   And when you consider that the Sabres had an 18 losing streak and are only 2 points behind the Ducks, that really says something. 

1 hour ago, DT2008 said:

The Ducks are now 2 points out of last place in the league.   And when you consider that the Sabres had an 18 losing streak and are only 2 points behind the Ducks, that really says something. 

Its Says nothing about our team...One thing you need to look at is this need for no1 Pick...I am draft Lottery Skeptic and I don't see how the Ducks Losing serves this purpose nor Throwing away this disapointing season.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, DT2008 said:

Too bad the Devils and Blue Jackets are both in full tank and could easily finish below Anaheim at the rate they are going.

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Too bad the Devils and Blue Jackets are both in full tank and could easily finish below Anaheim at the rate they are going.

Do the Ducks win another game this season? Honest question. I'm not sure they do. Five goals in the last five games, worst goal differential in the entire NHL, and Getzlaf playing as a 4th line winger is pretty much all you need to know about the state of this team.

The Devils have a tough schedule to finish up and could certainly out-tank the Ducks, but Columbus has a five point cushion and gets Detroit three times and Nashville twice in their remaining six games. They also have a two win advantage (11-9) for the regulation wins tie-breaker. I think even one point in any of their remaining games keeps them out of range. If they get a point, the Ducks would probably need 7 more points to jump them. Seems like the Ducks are pretty much a lock for a bottom-3 spot right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Do the Ducks win another game this season? Honest question. I'm not sure they do. Five goals in the last five games, worst goal differential in the entire NHL, and Getzlaf playing as a 4th line winger is pretty much all you need to know about the state of this team.

The Devils have a tough schedule to finish up and could certainly out-tank the Ducks, but Columbus has a five point cushion and gets Detroit three times and Nashville twice in their remaining six games. They also have a two win advantage (11-9) for the regulation wins tie-breaker. I think even one point in any of their remaining games keeps them out of range. If they get a point, the Ducks would probably need 7 more points to jump them. Seems like the Ducks are pretty much a lock for a bottom-3 spot right now.

Yeah I can't see Anaheim getting 5 points out of the last 7 games. I could see them picking up a point or two against the Kings this week, but probably not much more than that. So they should finish below Columbus. The Devils are the one I am worried about, however they have 4 games left versus the Flyers who have been mediocre so hopefully they can get some wins against Philly.

Really we want to finish bottom 2 if possible, as Seattle gets the third best odds so finishing 3rd worst essentially means you are actually finishing 4th worst.

So, I'm cheering for Buffalo and New Jersey for the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

It's the bottom two that the Ducks really need, since finishing 3rd pushes them to 4th due to Seattle. And the bottom two is going to be tough since the Sabres and Devils are both dumpster fires inside dumpster fires.  What's stupid is that the two somehow don't play each other the remainder of the season.  That would put some guaranteed points out there, but it's not to be.  

As I maintain, I'll never root for them to lose, but this season has tried my fandom like no other.  I can't say that I'm even happy to see them win right now, since it's meaningless.  

Buffalo is actually putting up a smidgen of a fight though. In the past two weeks they've beaten the Flyers (5-3), Capitals (5-2), Penguins (4-2), and Bruins (6-3). It's very possible they play their way out of the bottom spot with a few more points down the stretch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nieder said:

Yeah I can't see Anaheim getting 5 points out of the last 7 games. I could see them picking up a point or two against the Kings this week, but probably not much more than that. So they should finish below Columbus. The Devils are the one I am worried about, however they have 4 games left versus the Flyers who have been mediocre so hopefully they can get some wins against Philly.

Really we want to finish bottom 2 if possible, as Seattle gets the third best odds so finishing 3rd worst essentially means you are actually finishing 4th worst.

So, I'm cheering for Buffalo and New Jersey for the next 2 weeks.

Devils were up 3-0 tonight on the Flyers, doing their best to throw the game away though. Flyers have already tied the game twice.

The cynic in me has already given up hope on winning the lottery. The Ducks could realistically lose every game remaining and it still wouldn't move the needle for me. Calling it now, the Kraken will win the lottery. When you consider Seattle's odds and remember the 100% legitimate bubble lottery that totally wasn't the perfect scenario to drum up added interest in the league's play-in tournament last summer, you got a recipe for some classic NHL shenanigans. 

Edited by PetrSykora

1 hour ago, nieder said:

Devils were up 3-0 tonight on the Flyers, doing their best to throw the game away though. Flyers have already tied the game twice.

Devils win! Devils win! They found the back of the net six times tonight, which is one more goal than the Ducks have scored cumulatively in their past five games.

Jackets beat Detroit too. They’re out of reach.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I want the highest draft pick possible, of course, but this is the year that winning the lottery isn't that big of a deal.  None of the players stand out as being game-changers, and there's no consensus number one pick.  Plus with the new draft rules, you don't want to use a lottery win on this year.  The 2022 draft is a much more important one for getting a star player.

Weak Draft...yes and Also having Dud is 50/50 Which is why I am for the Ducks to Win and Finnish this season on positive note.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, PetrSykora said:

The cynic in me has already given up hope on winning the lottery. The Ducks could realistically lose every game remaining and it still wouldn't move the needle for me. Calling it now, the Kraken will win the lottery. When you consider Seattle's odds and remember the 100% legitimate bubble lottery that totally wasn't the perfect scenario to drum up added interest in the league's play-in tournament last summer, you got a recipe for some classic NHL shenanigans. 

This looks like the weakest draft class since 2012. So of course this year would be the year the Ducks win the lottery. It would be consistent with the luck they have had to date.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

This looks like the weakest draft class since 2012. So of course this year would be the year the Ducks win the lottery. It would be consistent with the luck they have had to date.

I mean, Owen Power doesn't look like a terrible get haha him and Drysdale could end up being the new "Pronger and Scotty" which would be pretty cool....or to try and develop them as such. Beniers looks like could be another Toews or Bergeron...which I wouldn't be upset with either haha Edvinsson doesn't look terrible...and I guess I wouldn't be upset with Hughes lol 

Edited by Jasoaks

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

I mean, Owen Power doesn't look like a terrible get haha him and Drysdale could end up being the new "Pronger and Scotty" which would be pretty cool....or to try and develop them as such. Beniers looks like could be another Toews or Bergeron...which I wouldn't be upset with either haha Edvinsson doesn't look terrible...and I guess I wouldn't be upset with Hughes lol 

I just don't see Ducks taking Owen Power.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Devils are about to wrap up their 3rd straight win over Philly which will open up a 4 point lead over the Ducks 🙂.

I was going to root for a Ducks win tonight anyway, being Ryan Miller's last home game, but now it looks like winning won't cost them the #2 draft position going into the lottery.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Devils are about to wrap up their 3rd straight win over Philly which will open up a 4 point lead over the Ducks 🙂.

I was going to root for a Ducks win tonight anyway, being Ryan Miller's last home game, but now it looks like winning won't cost them the #2 draft position going into the lottery.

They're only 2 points ahead of the Ducks.  Ducks do own the tie breaker I believe with the lowest # of regulation wins. I wouldn't celebrate just yet though. Kind of superstitious that way.

Edited by dukitup

2 hours ago, dukitup said:

They're only 2 points ahead of the Ducks.  Ducks do own the tie breaker I believe with the lowest # of regulation wins. I wouldn't celebrate just yet though. Kind of superstitious that way.

I expect them to lose 3 out of the remaining 4 games in regulation, which would be enough even if the Devils lose all 5 of their remaining games.  New Jersey also still has a game left with Philly so they probably won't lose all 5.   But anything can happen, so you are right.  I still thoroughly enjoyed the Ducks win last night.  Was at the Pond when Miller set the record for most wins as an American born goalie 2 years ago and wish I was there last night.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I expect them to lose 3 out of the remaining 4 games in regulation, which would be enough even if the Devils lose all 5 of their remaining games.  New Jersey also still has a game left with Philly so they probably won't lose all 5.   But anything can happen, so you are right.  I still thoroughly enjoyed the Ducks win last night.  Was at the Pond when Miller set the record for most wins as an American born goalie 2 years ago and wish I was there last night.

We were there last night. Definitely had a great time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

We will see.....I hope Ducks can well at least get a Winning Streak...Better then nothing. Win Last Night I hope and feel help in boosting Moral of Ducks Fans who attended the game.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

14 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

my goal is to stay at 30th or at least 29th, so we have a top 5 pick. if the other teams wins, I am okay with more wins from the Ducks.

edit: I correct it, if we go at 29th, we lost 2 draft spots because Seattle... so let us at 30th...

Edited by Spike1981
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

my goal is to stay at 30th or at least 29th, so we have a top 5 pick. if the other teams wins, I am okay with more wins from the Ducks.

edit: I correct it, if we go at 29th, we lost 2 draft spots because Seattle... so let us at 30th...

OR....Hear me not...Ducks call up Squidheads and make a deal with them.....simple as that.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck