The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike8228

New draft rules

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

my goal is to stay at 30th or at least 29th, so we have a top 5 pick. if the other teams wins, I am okay with more wins from the Ducks.

edit: I correct it, if we go at 29th, we lost 2 draft spots because Seattle... so let us at 30th...

I doubt we get more than 2 points out of our final 4 games.

If the Devils manage a win tonight and the Ducks lose, that should pretty well cement us into the #2 overall odds.

5 hours ago, nieder said:

I doubt we get more than 2 points out of our final 4 games.

If the Devils manage a win tonight and the Ducks lose, that should pretty well cement us into the #2 overall odds.

Could happen. Amazingly, the Devils are 4-0-2 against Boston this season and 4-2-1 against Philadelphia, so it stands to reason that they could get some points out of their remaining games. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks squeezed 3-4 points out of their remaining games. If Backes is in on Wednesday at St Louis then we could see a similar bounce in energy to what we saw from the team for Miller, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Wild rested a lot of guys during that B2B on the final weekend since they're pretty much locked into their playoff spot.

3 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Yeah, I expect to lose both to St. Louis, who is hot and is still fighting for a playoff spot, although I could see one of those losses being in OT.  

Minnesota is a wild card (no pun intended).  If Colorado keeps losing, Minnesota could push for home ice in the first round.  But Colorado has two against the Sharks and Minnesota has two against Vegas.  If the Avs come out of that with four points and the Wild with just one or two, that's a tough hole for Minnesota to climb out of.  But it's technically still possible, so they might push for wins.  I could see splitting the Minnesota series.

I disagree.....I am sure Ducks will do what they can to win and be the Spoiler.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

I’m guessing Fowler and Drysdale are done for the season.  That should help cement the #2 slot.    Just need to get the Sabres to win another 2 games.  Still hard to believe they lost every game for nearly a third of the season and still are within a couple of points of the Ducks. 

22 hours ago, DT2008 said:

I’m guessing Fowler and Drysdale are done for the season.  That should help cement the #2 slot.    Just need to get the Sabres to win another 2 games.  Still hard to believe they lost every game for nearly a third of the season and still are within a couple of points of the Ducks. 

We will see come this week...Ducks have 3 Games and I expect them to Win or put it effort to win.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

With the Devils winning tonight, the Ducks are virtually a lock for a top-4 pick. They are up 4 pts on the Ducks with 3 games remaining. 

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ike8228 said:

Buffalo won too

Buffalo 2 points behind, with 2 games remaining.  Ducks have 3 games.  Same # of Regulation Wins.  I think next tiebreaker is Goals Differential?  If so, Sabres have -56 and we have -52.

Edited by HockeyIzCool

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Buffalo 2 points behind, with 2 games remaining.  Ducks have 3 games.  Same # of Regulation Wins.  I think next tiebreaker is Goals Differential?  If so, Sabres have -56 and we have -52.

Buffalo one more regulation win and we are last, a top 3 pick would be great!

now everybody who don't think its good to tank I can't understand! let Buffalo the chance to take us! lose it all! put effort 2 periods and then stop skating and lose the game as we did on the last game!

3 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

Buffalo one more regulation win and we are last, a top 3 pick would be great!

now everybody who don't think its good to tank I can't understand! let Buffalo the chance to take us! lose it all! put effort 2 periods and then stop skating and lose the game as we did on the last game!

I'm sorry but it's because of this I can't get behind what you're saying. You're essentially talking about throwing the game on purpose. It's unprofessional and quite honestly disgusting. If the players even dared to do this they all need to go. I'm all for a top pick but I suggest you don't suggest this anymore. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

I'm sorry but it's because of this I can't get behind what you're saying. You're essentially talking about throwing the game on purpose. It's unprofessional and quite honestly disgusting. If the players even dared to do this they all need to go. I'm all for a top pick but I suggest you don't suggest this anymore. 

I agree.  As much as I want the Ducks to be in the best draft position possible, I can't advocate players and/or coaches deliberately losing.  

And while it would be great if Buffalo manages to win both of their last 2 games and pass the Ducks in the standings, it's a bigger deal for New Jersey to stay ahead of the Ducks since moving up to the 3rd worst record would push the Ducks from the 2nd to 4th best position for the lottery and the subsequent rounds of the draft.

10 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Isn't the measurement Regulation/Overtime wins (instead of just regulation)? If that's the case, Buffalo has 11 while the Ducks have 15.

The Ducks didn't throw it in the third period of last game.

I believe that losing Fowler our best for moving the puck had a lot to do with the ugly third period.

Curious if he will be playing tonight. Interesting if not meaning our top 4 defensemen will all be out. Ouch

36 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Isn't the measurement Regulation/Overtime wins (instead of just regulation)? If that's the case, Buffalo has 11 while the Ducks have 15.

Yes. Next tiebreaker is ROW which the Ducks win. So Buffalo would need to pass us in points in that scenario.

However let's say Anaheim lose the final 3 games in regulation, and Buffalo wins 1 of their remaining 2 games in regulation. We would be equal on points but Buffalo would be ahead in the standings as they would have 1 more regulation win.

It could happen.

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Yes. Next tiebreaker is ROW which the Ducks win. So Buffalo would need to pass us in points in that scenario.

However let's say Anaheim lose the final 3 games in regulation, and Buffalo wins 1 of their remaining 2 games in regulation. We would be equal on points but Buffalo would be ahead in the standings as they would have 1 more regulation win.

It could happen.

Unless I'm missing something, you just contradicted your own post. On the one hand, you said "next tiebreaker is ROW..."

Then you say if equal on points, "Buffalo would be ahead in the standings as they would have 1 more regulation win."  

If the tiebreaker is regulation AND OT wins, then what difference does it make if Buffalo has one more regulation win?

Edited by dukitup

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

Unless I'm missing something, you just contradicted your own post. On the one hand, you said "next tiebreaker is ROW..."

Then you say if equal on points, "Buffalo would be ahead in the standings as they would have 1 more regulation win."  

If the tiebreaker is regulation AND OT wins, then what difference does it make if Buffalo has one more regulation win?

Tiebreakers:

1. Fewer number of games played (i.e. higher points %)

2. Regulations wins

3. Regulation + OT wins

4. Number of total wins (Regulation + OT + SO)

Anaheim and Buffalo currently have the same number of regulation wins (11) but Anaheim leads in R + OT wins (15-11) and in total wins (16-15).

nieder has it right. The next tie breaker after regulation wins (which HockeyIzCool noted we are tied at 11-11) is regulation + OT wins. His scenario is correct. We need Buffalo to either win in regulation or pass the Ducks in points if we want the best lottery odds. 

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

it's a bigger deal for New Jersey to stay ahead of the Ducks since moving up to the 3rd worst record would push the Ducks from the 2nd to 4th best position for the lottery and the subsequent rounds of the draft.

ok Buffalo is gone after this win. but now let the Devils ahead of us... not win more then 2 points against Devils in the last 2 games!

Devils win on Long Island 2-1!  They are now guaranteed to finish ahead of the Ducks.  The #2 position going into the lottery is now almost guaranteed.  There is a very remote possibility the Ducks could finish ahead of Vancouver.  The Canucks would have to get fewer points in their last 9 games than the Ducks get in their last 2, and they currently have a 4-0 lead in Edmonton!

Buffalo lost so there is no way to finish with worst record, which was always a long shot anyway.

Canucks win 6-3.  #2 spot is now practically certain even if the Ducks win their last 2 games.

5 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Devils win on Long Island 2-1!  They are now guaranteed to finish ahead of the Ducks.  The #2 position going into the lottery is now almost guaranteed.  There is a very remote possibility the Ducks could finish ahead of Vancouver.  The Canucks would have to get fewer points in their last 9 games than the Ducks get in their last 2, and they currently have a 4-0 lead in Edmonton!

Vancouver missed a bunch of games.  They'll be seeded based upon %, which right now would be 24th.

2 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Buffalo lost so there is no way to finish with worst record, which was always a long shot anyway.

Canucks win 6-3.  #2 spot is now practically certain even if the Ducks win their last 2 games.

They are locked into the #2 spot.  They can only catch Detroit, if they win 2 games, and Detroit loses 2 in Regulation.  But the 1st tiebreaker is Regulation Wins, and Detroit has 4 more than us, so it's impossible for us to finish ahead of them.

The points situation with Vancouver is not relevant.  They are not going to bother with Vancouver's missed games, because they're not relevant.  No chance for them to make the playoffs.  They'll get seeded in the draft according to their Points %.

7 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I have No Problem having our Ducks Pick No2Spot for the 3rd Time in our Team's History.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

While that would be the smart thing for the NHL to do, right now Vancouver is scheduled to play all of its remaining games.

Bill Daly was on The Athletic's "Hockey Show" podcast and said they're planning to play those games because of all the other commitments associated with them (likely TV ad money is a big one). However, he did not rule out the Canadian division starting their playoffs a little later than the other three divisions. Can't help but wonder if those last three Vancouver-Calgary games will be going on at the same time as games 1 & 2 of the North American divisions' 1st round playoff series.

25 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Bill Daly was on The Athletic's "Hockey Show" podcast and said they're planning to play those games because of all the other commitments associated with them (likely TV ad money is a big one). However, he did not rule out the Canadian division starting their playoffs a little later than the other three divisions. Can't help but wonder if those last three Vancouver-Calgary games will be going on at the same time as games 1 & 2 of the North American divisions' 1st round playoff series.

Makes me wonder too.....if you ask me...I know there has been debate on shutting down Van with the outbreak plaguing them.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

makes sense to me....as much sense as anything can this season....lol

I don't think they've decided yet what they're doing about the north division playoff teams though...(or any?) is it 4 bubbles in the US that eventually become 2 and then 1?

53 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

makes sense to me....as much sense as anything can this season....lol

I don't think they've decided yet what they're doing about the north division playoff teams though...(or any?) is it 4 bubbles in the US that eventually become 2 and then 1?

They made it sound like the all-Canadian playoff rounds will take place in Canada no matter what, and after that they're not exactly sure what will happen. Daly said the league is in regular communication with the Canadian government about what the quarantine rules will be for teams coming and going from Canada. We're talking probably mid-June by the time they get through the first two rounds though, and the whole continent could look quite different by then. I heard from a colleague in Calgary that jabs could be available there as soon as next week. And all of Canada has roughly 2 million less people than the state of California, so you can do the math there and see that things might be a bit different by the semi-finals.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:07 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Once Calgary and Vancouver are eliminated from the playoffs, I don't see why they would need to delay the Canadian division playoffs any more so than the other divisions. 

14 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Once Calgary and Vancouver are eliminated from the playoffs, I don't see why they would need to delay the Canadian division playoffs any more so than the other divisions. 

I agree.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

Sounds like it's essentially a money thing.  As usual.  There must be a loss of revenue from either TV contracts or ticket sales.  Most likely the former.  If that's the case, it's a 100% certainty they'll play every single missed game.  Not because they matter, but because the money matters.  That's the main reason they pieced together this joke of a season, where instead of teams playing a wide variety of opponents, they essentially were confined to a set list of teams, primarily within their own division.  Not exactly the true test of a champion.  The last season which finished in the Orlando bubble was more legit IMO than this one.

6 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Sounds like it's essentially a money thing.  As usual.  There must be a loss of revenue from either TV contracts or ticket sales.  Most likely the former.  If that's the case, it's a 100% certainty they'll play every single missed game.  Not because they matter, but because the money matters.  That's the main reason they pieced together this joke of a season, where instead of teams playing a wide variety of opponents, they essentially were confined to a set list of teams, primarily within their own division.  Not exactly the true test of a champion.  The last season which finished in the Orlando bubble was more legit IMO than this one.

JOKE of a season...HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....Short season was better then that Orlando Bubble if you ask me.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck