The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ike8228

New draft rules

10 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Sounds like it's essentially a money thing.  As usual.  There must be a loss of revenue from either TV contracts or ticket sales.  Most likely the former.  If that's the case, it's a 100% certainty they'll play every single missed game.  Not because they matter, but because the money matters.  That's the main reason they pieced together this joke of a season, where instead of teams playing a wide variety of opponents, they essentially were confined to a set list of teams, primarily within their own division.  Not exactly the true test of a champion.  The last season which finished in the Orlando bubble was more legit IMO than this one.

if they didn't draft the contracts with covid-releases of performance in them, then they're idiots.  this whole season was a loss.

IF our Ducks land Top Pick in Top 4...They have choice...Stand pat as they always do or Trade the Pick for other picks and needed Help. Ducks NEED Reforms and They should consider options on Trading the Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 minute ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Ducks got the 3rd overall pick. 

Beniers or Clarke!

Bob was looking for a barstool to throw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Gads, we were the ONLY team to go backwards in the lottery.  At least New Jersey didn't get it again...

Exactly.  While 3rd is okay, the fact the only ONE team moved down and it was us was hilarious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Exactly.  While 3rd is okay, the fact the only ONE team moved down and it was us was hilarious. 

Of course the ducks moved down.  Fits their trajectory 

• Sad 1

This draft is so blah I barely care that we moved from #2 to #3. The only player I’m somewhat confident in that has a decent floor is Beniers, and even he might just turn out to be a good defensively responsible 3C that puts up 15-20G and 40-45 pts a year. I’m assuming he’ll go #1 or #2. 

Who knows how it turns out, but at least right now I hope Power doesn’t “fall” to us. If he doesn’t develop an offensive game at the NHL level he’ll be a huge bust for such a high pick. He’ll basically be Erik Gudbranson (#3 overall in his draft year). I hope we get lucky with whoever we pick, and we actually end up getting a “surprise” hugely impactful player when none were really supposed to be available. 

Edited by Spencer_12
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Spencer_12 said:

Who knows how it turns out, but at least right now I hope Power doesn’t “fall” to us. If he doesn’t develop an offensive game at the NHL level he’ll be a huge bust for such a high pick. He’ll basically be Erik Gudbranson (#3 overall in his draft year). I hope we get lucky with whoever we pick, and we actually end up getting a “surprise” hugely impactful player when none were really supposed to be available. 

My feelings as well about Power. Hopefully Buffalo picks him and the Krackheads get Hughes just for the namesake. I don't know about there being an impactful player but Clarke sounds good. I would be happy with Beniers too but who knows what Murray is thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

I love that we were all about finishing second to last so that we had better odds than Seattle. But then Seattle move ahead of us anyway. Lol. I would love for this team to have some good luck go their way just once.

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, nieder said:

I love that we were all about finishing second to last so that we had better odds than Seattle. But then Seattle move ahead of us anyway. Lol. I would love for this team to have some good luck go their way just once.

2022. The good juju comes to Anaheim. Patience!

6 minutes ago, Joker8 said:
Dylan Guenther

He seems interesting to me. I just posted this elsewhere on the board, but I’ll put it here too:

I’m interested to see TSN’s McKenzie final list. I like that it’s built around consensus from NHL scouts. They had Dylan Guenther at #2 in April before the last big tournament of the year (U18 WJC). In that tournament he put up 7 pts in 7 games with 4 goals. 

His 1st year in the WHL he put up 59 pts in 58 games, and now in his draft year he went 12-12=24 in 12 games. He was on pace for over 100 points in a full season. Guys who do that pretty much are always selected #1 or #2 in the draft if there’s no random concern, injury or otherwise. 

Bob is going to have to make a deal now with Seattle.  We'll offer up a player they're interested in for the Expansion Draft, and they'll promise not to pick whoever we want in the Entry Draft.

• Like 2

Haha, it's very fitting that in a season like that Anaheim is the ONLY team to move down. We're a special kind of special. :t_hot_unread:

With our consistent luck and the NHL likely never wanting to give use the #1, why bother trying to tank every season - nothing good will ever come out of it.

Also: we got Kraken'd ALREADY. Before the Kraken even played a game in the NHL and even a game against us. Gonna be a fun Pacific Division.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

My feelings as well about Power. Hopefully Buffalo picks him and the Krackheads get Hughes just for the namesake. I don't know about there being an impactful player but Clarke sounds good. I would be happy with Beniers too but who knows what Murray is thinking.

Murray seemed legitimately sad that we fell back a spot lol. Based on that reaction, I think he’s got Power and Beniers as his top two and may not get either.

2 hours ago, Spencer_12 said:

He seems interesting to me. I just posted this elsewhere on the board, but I’ll put it here too:

I’m interested to see TSN’s McKenzie final list. I like that it’s built around consensus from NHL scouts. They had Dylan Guenther at #2 in April before the last big tournament of the year (U18 WJC). In that tournament he put up 7 pts in 7 games with 4 goals. 

His 1st year in the WHL he put up 59 pts in 58 games, and now in his draft year he went 12-12=24 in 12 games. He was on pace for over 100 points in a full season. Guys who do that pretty much are always selected #1 or #2 in the draft if there’s no random concern, injury or otherwise. 

I didn’t know that the Bobfather had him that high and Craig Button now has the Ducks taking him at #3. If he has the potential to bury 40 goals a year, then by all means let’s take him. I think that Murray would have Eklund over him because he’s Swedish…and is playing well against pros already. 

Just have the Samuelis slip Bettman a few hundos for next years lottery so I can get behind future line duos of Zegras-Guenther and Wright-Perreault.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

Murray seemed legitimately sad that we fell back a spot lol. Based on that reaction, I think he’s got Power and Beniers as his top two and may not get either.

I didn’t know that the Bobfather had him that high and Craig Button now has the Ducks taking him at #3. If he has the potential to bury 40 goals a year, then by all means let’s take him. I think that Murray would have Eklund over him because he’s Swedish…and is playing well against pros already. 

Just have the Samuelis slip Bettman a few hundos for next years lottery so I can get behind future line duos of Zegras-Guenther and Wright-Perreault.

McKenzie’s list isn’t the final version yet, so we’ll see what that looks like soon. It’s interesting Button came out with that mock draft tonight. I hadn’t seen that until you mentioned it. 

Murray did have this to say about the draft in his state of the franchise press conference which you can read on the main site: 

“There are a couple of good young forwards in there.” 

Beniers is almost certainly one in his mind, but who is the other? Maybe we’ll find that out if we draft him in July. The fact that Murray mentioned that before the lottery is a good sign. If it’s close on his board between the players available at defense and offense at #3 then I hope we go forward.

I’m starting to not even mind if we miss out on Beniers and pick another forward. I think the best thing about him is the fact that he’s pretty much a guarantee to play center at the NHL level. If you look at what he’s actually done at all levels of competition though, he’s never dominated the scoresheet. Even in the USHL he never put up more than a point-per-game. At international level, he never put up big numbers either. It seems like a few of the other forwards have a much higher offensive ceiling, but have more risk. 

If Beniers was available at #3 I’d be happy with the pick, but I’d still be a little concerned he might end up being a disappointment offensively, and one of those other forwards available end up being the best player in the draft. 

Edited by Spencer_12

This draft does seem to be ripe for "let's look back at the 2021 draft 10 years later! Wow! Crazy so many teams passed on that #15 drafted player!"

Or, "Looking back at the biggest #1 picks busts in the past 10 years! At #1....the 2021 #1 pick!"

I would have been excited for Power...I would ahve been hopeful he could have developed into a great complimentary piece to Drysdale. Not that the others couldn't. Also would be excited about Beniers....or anyone we'll be getting haha

It's the #3 pick! 2nd best pick in our franchise! And now all those people who keep saying you need a top 5 pick to win the Cup....we got that!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

This draft does seem to be ripe for "let's look back at the 2021 draft 10 years later! Wow! Crazy so many teams passed on that #15 drafted player!"

Or, "Looking back at the biggest #1 picks busts in the past 10 years! At #1....the 2021 #1 pick!"

I would have been excited for Power...I would ahve been hopeful he could have developed into a great complimentary piece to Drysdale. Not that the others couldn't. Also would be excited about Beniers....or anyone we'll be getting haha

It's the #3 pick! 2nd best pick in our franchise! And now all those people who keep saying you need a top 5 pick to win the Cup....we got that!!

Yes you need top picks to win the cup but depends on who is picking and ultimately running the show. If that person (cough cough) is just mediocre at what they do then the top picks don’t amount to much. 

Let's be Very Happy with where our Ducks are place in this year's Draft.......Selecting no3 overall is imho Good in my Book and we can agree on that eh.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RobD360 said:

Yes you need top picks to win the cup but depends on who is picking and ultimately running the show. If that person (cough cough) is just mediocre at what they do then the top picks don’t amount to much. 

yeah, for the most part bob has been great with making picks. It's been one of the brighter spots from him as GM. A few here and there lately...I haven't been so into, but those have all been late 1st rounders. This one isn't as straight forward or as fool-proof as last year. Taking Drysdale was basically the easy choice (while there were others that would have also been good) and same with Zegras.

But we're still most likely going to be getting a very good player. But I'm guessing, as others have said, he was looking at Power or Beniers. And is upset that now he may not get either.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

That might be a blessing in disguise, falling to 3rd. Bob might end up getting the best forward (Guenther) or only the RHD (Clarke) in the top 10. Murray just has one job to do now and I hope he doesn't blow it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobD360 said:

I thought a saw a list, maybe it was sports net but not sure, where they showed top five teams for drafting outside the 1st round and had us at number 5. So we can't be that bad at drafting especially compared to other teams. 

29 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

But the lack of player development and shrewd trades has hindered the Ducks from taking advantage of that ability.

To me, this is the bigger problem.

Like I look at Jones, Steel, Larsson, Ritchie...and think...well, who SHOULD he have drafted? Ritchie is an easy one, so you can make the argument Ritchie was a bad draft choice looking back...but just looking at stats it's hard for me to look at players closely after these guys who would have been a better pick...(when looking at the same position)...and by the time you find one...well, there are a lot of other teams that ALSO passed on them, so it's not like BM is completely out of touch from other GMs.

Also at one point people were so OK with Larsson that they used him as the reason we could afford to get rid of Theo. No one says that now lol but I think the problem is that the Ducks do not develop to take advantage of our picks. Just like you said.

It's actually kinda funny 'cause as I was looking I also found players right after that we DID end up getting lol (Sbisa, DelZotto, Despres)

And I haven't looked, but I bet some of our better later picks like Manson, Gibson, Mountour, Vats, Kase etc... will have some players before them that those GMs are kicking themselves for picking.

Edited by Jasoaks

8 hours ago, perry_mvp said:

That might be a blessing in disguise, falling to 3rd. Bob might end up getting the best forward (Guenther) or only the RHD (Clarke) in the top 10. Murray just has one job to do now and I hope he doesn't blow it.

Definitely agree. Perfectly fine being at #3 even if Beniers is gone. The only pick I’d be disappointed in would be Edvinsson (Murray and his Swedish defensemen fetish though) at our spot. It’s interesting that Guenther is being viewed so highly as the best goal scorer in the draft. Chaz Lucius might have the best shot/scoring touch in the class but he got hurt this year and isn’t a strong skater like Guenther is. That said, if both Power and Beniers are gone then my guess is that Eklund will be the pick.

I really don’t think that Murray can blow it but he’s made fans hold his beer many times before.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Over what time span, though?  All you have to do is hit on a couple players and you can be considered good at finding diamonds in the rough, but even then, we haven't found any superstars.  Gibson's the only real star, otherwise it's just some good, useful players - Manson, Montour, Terry, Vatanen, Kase etc.  And some of those guys Murray drafted got traded before they could help the Ducks (Karlsson, Pettersson).  It's a useful skill, possibly combined with some good luck, but it hasn't really paid off for the Ducks.

On the other side of that analysis is drafting in the first round.  Murray hasn't been bad, and he's been drafting in the back half for most of his tenure, but we've come up short on a lot of first rounders.  Max Jones, Sam Steel, Jacob Larsson, Nick Ritchie in recent years.  Some of those are useful players, and even have produced about as well as you might expect from their draft position, but none have been difference-makers.  The one real star Murray drafted in the first round (Theodore) got jettisoned to make up for a terrible Stoner contract.

I think Murray's staff is, just eyeballing it, probably better than average at drafting.  But the lack of player development and shrewd trades has hindered the Ducks from taking advantage of that ability.

If development is our problem though once we give up on a player wouldn't another team pick him up in the hopes of developing them if they were also high on that guy? Or does it just become too late to develop them? Like it seems that other teams, including ours, usually never pick up guys who develop after a team's given up on them. Maybe we just don't get them to that next level in their development once they become nhlers. The only thing is that we don't hit on many forwards after the first round. 

I found the video, the hockey guy mentions it. Apparently it was in an athletic article? So he listed the top 4 and bottom 4 in drafting from 2005 to 2015. The top 4: Tampa, Carolina, Rangers and Ducks. In that order. 

Bottom 4: Colorado, Flyers, Canucks and..... Oilers (no surprise there!).

9 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

If development is our problem though once we give up on a player wouldn't another team pick him up in the hopes of developing them if they were also high on that guy? Or does it just become too late to develop them? Like it seems that other teams, including ours, usually never pick up guys who develop after a team's given up on them. Maybe we just don't get them to that next level in their development once they become nhlers. The only thing is that we don't hit on many forwards after the first round. 

I found the video, the hockey guy mentions it. Apparently it was in an athletic article? So he listed the top 4 and bottom 4 in drafting from 2005 to 2015. The top 4: Tampa, Carolina, Rangers and Ducks. In that order. 

Bottom 4: Colorado, Flyers, Canucks and..... Oilers (no surprise there!).

Matt Belesky was a serviceable and was 3-4 rounder I believe. He had a career year then chased the money and flopped in Boston. But still.

Even with Colorado in the bottom four, they are arguably the best team out there right now. They are looking strong. So despite ‘not drafting well’ they have a great team with super stars they drafted..so I don’t agree with that. Unless they get 1 superstar out of 10 so it’s a lower success rate, but it doesn’t matter cause that 1 guy is better than the 5 decent guys we drafted…not sure if I am making sense. I would out Colorado ahead of us in drafting.

Edited by ike8228
  • Like 1