The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
WolfgangDuck

Penalties against Ducks

JasOaks posted this in game thread that is now closed but I wanted to comment on the whole Tim Peel thing too:

Ya know...I'm wondering if that whole we don't have a power play till the final second of the game thing is a response to Tim Peel's firing...you sort of assume after so many power plays for one team...that a penalty is probably gonna be called... but...now that this whole Tim Peel thing and Campbell coming out and saying "wE dOn'T dO tHaT"........when, yes, we do.....the pendulum is gonna swing all the way to the other side and start seeing it more one-sided....

not good news for us who already have it pretty one-sided lol

We've known for years there has been a referee bias against the Ducks.  We all suspected it and the whole Tim Peel thing just kind of confirmed it for me.  Why is it referees can't just call the damn game and have to inject their own little feeling on any game?  I don't know if it's the whole Disney Mighty Duck thing that referees hold against the Ducks but it's gotten very very old and needs to stop.  Even the last game there were numerous penalties that could have been called against the Wild and were not.  Then they give us a penalty with one second left in the game...really??  Did we all think the same thing at the same time...eff you?  Does anybody have that completely outrageous number of penalties called against Ducks vs. for the Ducks over the past 20 years or so?

Edited by WolfgangDuck

2 hours ago, WolfgangDuck said:

JasOaks posted this in game thread that is now closed but I wanted to comment on the whole Tim Peel thing too:

We've known for years there has been a referee bias against the Ducks.  We all suspected it and the whole Tim Peel thing just kind of confirmed it for me.  Why is it referees can't just call the damn game and have to inject their own little feeling on any game?  I don't know if it's the whole Disney Mighty Duck thing that referees hold against the Ducks but it's gotten very very old and needs to stop.  Even the last game there were numerous penalties that could have been called against the Wild and were not.  Then they give us a penalty with one second left in the game...really??  Did we all think the same thing at the same time...eff you?  Does anybody have that completely outrageous number of penalties called against Ducks vs. for the Ducks over the past 20 years or so?

I think it's from our Perry, Getz, Brad May, Perros, Pronger, Rob, Sammy, Moen days....and then some with Kesler. I would have thought it would be better now, but I don't think that's happened. But maybe this season is a little better? Either way...I'm usually a bit more in favor of the "let teams play" and just call the obvious ones like delay of game, high sticking, obvious hooks/slashes/trips/holds etc... and also maybe not even call them if it doesn't really result in any change of play or possession or turn over.

agreed that i'd like the disparity to cease.  i had figured it was about how our captains talked to the referees, but Getz seems to have gotten less aggressive this year and even last year, and yet we still get the disparity.  i don't mind refs calling ticky tack penalties on us, but when they do, and then they don't treat the other team the same way, that's when my vision turn red.  we don't dive, we haven't ruined other team's players careers, we don't make the refs look like jerks (Vermette aside, though that ref was an idiot and a jerk)... and there are quite a few other teams with players who are headhunters, players who dive ALL THE TIME, and players who generally make the refs, if not the entire game, look horrible... and we don't get the calls against those teams.

whatever the issue is, the refs need to voice it, and the team needs to address it.  it's gone well beyond fair. 

all that said, i could still be convinced that we don't do a good job at training our players to 1) not take penalties; and 2) draw a few for once.