The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Joker8

Alexander Volkov

Just now, Joker8 said:

Why? what does he bring to the team? OMG this is insanity!  

He brings an improvement to the organization over Antoine Morand.  It seems consistently reported as a trade that favored the Ducks.

This also could open the door for some centers to go back to San Diego, like Steel Lundestrom, and possibly getting Zegras time back at the pivot since he's doing wing up here.  We have several natural Centers up that could rotate back and forth to maintain development at C.

Could also set up some future movement, but even if it doesn't, it seems fine.  Remember that trades aren't only made for top-6 players.  We have several layers of the organization and also even several layers within each layer.  All of them require occasional trades to keep things flowing, and most of them aren't barnburners.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

In a vacuum, I think the Ducks upgraded here.  We'll see how he does.

One thing that I just saw and hadn't thought about, however, was that Volkov will need to be protected.  It's doubtful he gets selected in the expansion draft, but he'll require a protection slot unless Murray works out a different deal.  I know most are operating under that assumption, so maybe it won't matter.

Unless he blows our socks off, I don't see why he would be protected. If Seattle selects him, it's basically like they selected Morand and a 7th. If you told me last week that we'd get through the ED losing only Morand and a 7th, I'd have done cartwheels (which are not easy at my age!). 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joker8 said:

When I Google this name, first that came up is some UFC fighter. As far as this one, seems like a typical wheeling and dealing by Bob: trade one borderline NHLer for another and call it "rebuild".

I believe this is to fill a future hole that will come when a larger trade is made.  This isn't about a grand slam trade, its about having enough skaters....But there is a possibility he might get the wake up he needs in his career - decent numbers in the minors.

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

Unless he blows our socks off, I don't see why he would be protected. If Seattle selects him, it's basically like they selected Morand and a 7th. If you told me last week that we'd get through the ED losing only Morand and a 7th, I'd have done cartwheels (which are not easy at my age!). 

haha ssaaaaaaame!! One can hope they take Volkov!

But, yeah, everything I've seen was Tampa fans being sad about this trade. 

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

In a vacuum, I think the Ducks upgraded here.  We'll see how he does.

One thing that I just saw and hadn't thought about, however, was that Volkov will need to be protected.  It's doubtful he gets selected in the expansion draft, but he'll require a protection slot unless Murray works out a different deal.  I know most are operating under that assumption, so maybe it won't matter.

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think Morand was eligible to count as one of our required exposed forwards?  is Volkov eligible to qualify? 

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think Morand was eligible to count as one of our required exposed forwards?  is Volkov eligible to qualify? 

No, he does not fill the requirements yet. He’s a pending RFA so he would need to be extended before the ED, and he also needs another 8 games this season to meet the 27/54 requirement. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

No, he does not fill the requirements yet. He’s a pending RFA so he would need to be extended before the ED, and he also needs another 8 games this season to meet the 27/54 requirement. 

but we have to protect him if we not want the risk to lose him... Morand isn't to protect. in fact of that and in fact it would be the only trade we make, its a bad move. but if its the start of a trade wave and trade away some veterans, then could be a good move, because Volkov looks like better then Morand.. at the moment we can't protect Shatt, Mahura, Heinen, Milano and Volkov...

Edited by Spike1981

19 hours ago, Joker8 said:

IMHO this is good trade for the Ducks...They got player who can develop well into 3rd line center. Also he is Russian which I beleive shows Bob is forgoing his Anti-Russian Bias....Welcome to the Ducks Alexander Volkov....Good Luck in Tampa Antonie Morand all the best to your Hockey Career.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

but we have to protect him if we not want the risk to lose him... Morand isn't to protect. in fact of that and in fact it would be the only trade we make, its a bad move. but if its the start of a trade wave and trade away some veterans, then could be a good move, because Volkov looks like better then Morand.. at the moment we can't protect Shatt, Mahura, Heinen, Milano and Volkov...

But that makes no sense. If Seattle take Volkov then essentially all we have given up for the expansion draft is Morand and a very late draft pick. If that were the case the Ducks would probably have lost the least out of any team in the NHL from the expansion draft.

Edited by nieder
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, nieder said:

But that makes no sense. If Seattle take Volkov then essentially all we have given up for the expansion draft is Morand and a very late draft pick. If that were the case the Ducks would probably have lost the least out of any team in the NHL from the expansion draft.

I actually wouldn't mind it if this move was solely for the expansion draft, for example if Volkov was to be offered to Seattle as the sweetener for a deal. Like if the goal is to move Rico's entire contract off the books, and we offer Volkov and a 3rd to Seattle for them to select Rico, would anybody hate that? Then again, we haven't see Volkov take a shift yet in a Ducks sweater, so maybe we'll end up hating that a lot... :lol:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I actually wouldn't mind it if this move was solely for the expansion draft, for example if Volkov was to be offered to Seattle as the sweetener for a deal. Like if the goal is to move Rico's entire contract off the books, and we offer Volkov and a 3rd to Seattle for them to select Rico, would anybody hate that? Then again, we haven't see Volkov take a shift yet in a Ducks sweater, so maybe we'll end up hating that a lot... :lol:

I have been thinking about Ducks making a Deal with Seattle..Important they be the first to trade a Player for a Draft Pick.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

5 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

I don’t know, with three years at $5.85m per year left after this season, I think it’s going to take a high pick or a very good prospect to have Seattle take Henrique’s full contract in the ED. He’ll turn 32 during next season also which also doesn’t help.

If Volkov and an ok pick gets that contract off the books then I’ll be floored! Would be too good to be true.

16 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

i don't understand why we're talking about protecting an AHL player.  maybe he's bottom 6 on our rebuilding team, but that doesn't mean an ED team is going to be interested in choosing him while they're grabbing ~2nd liners from the rest of the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

I don’t know, with three years at $5.85m per year left after this season, I think it’s going to take a high pick or a very good prospect to have Seattle take Henrique’s full contract in the ED. He’ll turn 32 during next season also which also doesn’t help.

If Volkov and an ok pick gets that contract off the books then I’ll be floored! Would be too good to be true.

shhhhhh!  ;)

1 hour ago, BombaysTripleDeke said:

You may be right, but the thing about Henrique is that he's very durable and he's still very productive. Despite all the turmoil this season, he's still got 9 goals in 30 games (heading into tonight), which is basically a 25-goal pace over 82 games. And he rarely misses games either (unless needlessly waived and scratched). Prior to his healthy scratch this season, he'd missed a TOTAL of 5 games since the beginning of the 2015-16 season. He's basically Cogliano-lite. His remaining three seasons will be ages 31/32, 32/33, and 33/34 since he's a February birthday, and with his lack of injury history, there's good reason to believe that he can continue to play at a reasonably high level through age 34.

For the price, I was thinking of MAF as a comparable. I know skaters are viewed different than goalies, but the situation seems similar to me. Fleury was 32 (soon-to-be 33) when Vegas took him in their ED and he had two years left at $5.75M, and he was coming off one of his worst career seasons with a 3.02 GAA and a .909 SV%, so he clearly looked like he was on the back-9 of his career. Pittsburgh gave up a 2nd rounder to Vegas so they would take MAF and his entire cap hit off their books.

I also think that a deal may suit Seattle more than just picking a player. The most likely protection scheme without a deal at this moment (assuming no significant trade prior to the ED) would seem to be something close to protecting Rakell, Silf, Henrique, Terry, Jones, Lundestrom, Heinen, Lindholm, Fowler, and Manson, which would expose Steel, Shattenkirk, Mahura, Volkov, Deslauriers, Grant, and Larsson. If you're Seattle, and you want to build a winning organization as soon as possible, do you take just one of those guys? Or do you take Rico + Volkov + 3rd? Me, I'm taking the latter. I mean, if nothing else, Seattle could retain 1/2 of his cap hit and trade him for a good asset. There are plenty of teams that would take a 25-goal scorer off Seattle's hands at a $2.91M cap hit.     

• Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, BombaysTripleDeke said:

It would be surprise. Considering the flat Salary Cap and era we live in....It's going to be tough.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Edited by MooseDuck

the salary cap makes trades very difficult.. almost the whole league is over or almost done with Salary Cap, why all teams do this, even not contender teams?!... they should every player cut 10% of the salary, so you also have help because the Covid BS for the teams and you can trade again... no surprise we see almost only AHL moves..

Edited by Spike1981

4 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

the salary cap makes trades very difficult.. almost the whole league is over or almost done with Salary Cap, why all teams do this, even not contender teams?!... they should every player cut 10% of the salary, so you also have help because the Covid BS for the teams and you can trade again... no surprise we see almost only AHL moves..

You're probably going to be right, but I'm very interested to see what teams like the Florida Panthers do. They already had more than $3M in cap space before the Ekblad injury, and now they can place his $7.5M on LTIR. Not that you can replace an Aaron Ekblad in your lineup, but that's a ton of cap space for a team that currently has the 6th best points % in the NHL. The state of Florida is also open, so I'd imagine they would have an easier time bringing new guys in. I hope they go big in UFA. I need a team to root for this summer.

• Like 1

I am just curious...wonder what Number Volkov is going to take once he suits up for the Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 3/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, dtsdlaw said:

You're probably going to be right, but I'm very interested to see what teams like the Florida Panthers do. They already had more than $3M in cap space before the Ekblad injury, and now they can place his $7.5M on LTIR. Not that you can replace an Aaron Ekblad in your lineup, but that's a ton of cap space for a team that currently has the 6th best points % in the NHL. The state of Florida is also open, so I'd imagine they would have an easier time bringing new guys in. I hope they go big in UFA. I need a team to root for this summer.

Florida just cleared another $2.425M in cap space with that trade they made with Chicago this morning. They have to be the front runner for Taylor Hall now. I would also make sense for them to make a move for a RHD to take Ekblad's place, and for a moment I thought Manson might be a good target. But then I remembered who their GM is - Bill Zito. Zito came over from Columbus in September after being the Jackets' Senior VP of Hockey Ops, so you'd expect that David Savard would make the most sense.

I also have to wonder what the relationship between Zito and GMBM is like these days. Zito was James Wisniewski's agent back when Wiz was a Duck the first time (for the testy arbitration process and subsequent trade to the Isles), and Zito was also in Columbus' front office when they traded Wiz back to us for Wild Bill and a pick. Given their history, I'd imagine that they don't exchange Christmas cards.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Florida just cleared another $2.425M in cap space with that trade they made with Chicago this morning. They have to be the front runner for Taylor Hall now. I would also make sense for them to make a move for a RHD to take Ekblad's place, and for a moment I thought Manson might be a good target. But then I remembered who their GM is - Bill Zito. Zito came over from Columbus in September after being the Jackets' Senior VP of Hockey Ops, so you'd expect that David Savard would make the most sense.

I also have to wonder what the relationship between Zito and GMBM is like these days. Zito was James Wisniewski's agent back when Wiz was a Duck the first time (for the testy arbitration process and subsequent trade to the Isles), and Zito was also in Columbus' front office when they traded Wiz back to us for Wild Bill and a pick. Given their history, I'd imagine that they don't exchange Christmas cards.

I imagine there are some issues. Also I don't see Ducks trading with Florida.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 3/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, Joker8 said:

Well, he did almost get a hat trick last night - that should count for something...

(Watch, that'll probably be the only goals he scores all season.)

14 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Well, he did almost get a hat trick last night - that should count for something...

I was rooting for him to get it. He has been pretty noticable, at least this last game, even though the team played pretty bad getting straight dominated the 2nd and 3rd period. I actually like him, he's hungry and you can see that he's taking this opportunity and trying to make the most out of it. Really good pickup so far. 

Personally imho....I am interested to see what Volkov will bring to the Ducks in longterm...2 Goal performance against San Jose shows some Potential.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Outside of the original poster, what in this thread didn't age well?  It seems like everyone else was fine with this trade.

I meant its existence.  The fact that it even had to be a thread didn't age well.  OP seems a bit of a dive-bomber, so I guess I'm not shocked.

7 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

Outside of the original poster, what in this thread didn't age well?  It seems like everyone else was fine with this trade.

Nothing wrong with Young Player who wants to prove himself...Even though he got Stanley Cup I am sure he is eager to contribute to Ducks Cause aka Stanley Cup Quest.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 4/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Belarus said:

😏