The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

Getzlaf’s Future

7 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

So he may be at the 1st Ducks Home Game with fans, just not as a Duck.  Lovely sight that would be.

And it's a bold presumption that he would come back next season.  If Vegas wins the Cup, he may decide to sign a new deal there.  Or he may simply sign with the Ducks on a 1-day deal, so he can retire as a Duck.

I don't think it's too bold that he'd resign here.  If he wins a Cup in Vegas, I think he'd be totally satisfied from the Cup front and would want back to build the franchise he's called home.  Or, as you say, retire.  I don't think he signs in Vegas, especially since they will have some cap issues, themselves.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

So he may be at the 1st Ducks Home Game with fans, just not as a Duck.  Lovely sight that would be.

And it's a bold presumption that he would come back next season.  If Vegas wins the Cup, he may decide to sign a new deal there.  Or he may simply sign with the Ducks on a 1-day deal, so he can retire as a Duck.

more bold that he would move to an area he has no desire to move to.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Do you think BM knows there's a trade deadline in 1/2 an hour?  Or is he merely happy with the roster and contracts as they stand?

it's BM you talking about he will do nothing that help the team USLESS we need anew GM. 

• Like 3

Better to hold your assets than give them away.  Not trading someone can actually turn out to be the best deal.

• Thanks 1

Another thing to consider.....with no fans, the importance of post season gate isn’t an issue, so borderline teams may just stand pat.

That is a fair return.

8 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Hutton keeps the streak alive?!?!?

Hayden Fleury from Carolina. Hakanpaa goes to Carolina with a 6th rounder.

Edited by Fowl

16 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Hayden Fleury from Carolina. Hakanpaa goes to Carolina with a 6th rounder.

weird.  younger player with maybe, just maybe, a better potential upside, but that's about it.  and we gave away a 6th round pick.  so, with Hutton, that's two defensmen for a low end prospect and replacing a 6th with a 5th.

that's about as milquetoast as it gets, no?  at least now we know if there's any deal with Seattle, it doesn't involve those two, and probably involves Shatt and Larsson, if not a forward.

i think that means we see Larsson every game from here on out.

8 minutes ago, Fisix said:

weird.  younger player with maybe, just maybe, a better potential upside, but that's about it.  and we gave away a 6th round pick.  so, with Hutton, that's two defensmen for a low end prospect and replacing a 6th with a 5th.

that's about as milquetoast as it gets, no?  at least now we know if there's any deal with Seattle, it doesn't involve those two, and probably involves Shatt and Larsson, if not a forward.

i think that means we see Larsson every game from here on out.

Lindholm was injured on February 27th and we were told he would make a full recovery and be back in about 6 weeks. February 27th was 6 weeks and 2 days ago, so you'd assume Lindholm is close to returning if no significant setbacks during his recovery. When Lindholm is back, we'll have Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Drysdale, Fleury, and Larsson. I'm sure Larsson will get some games, but the hope would be that there aren't more significant injuries that put Larsson back in full time.

I'm curious who they'll put with Fowler now. Do they go back to 4-42 (I hope not) or do they get creative with 4-22 or maybe even 4-34??

• Like 1

I'd love to see 4-34 committed to for a few games.  i don't hold out much hope, because of what's happened before.  i think it'll likely be a disappointingly predictable 4-22, but now is the perfect time to see a few 4-47, with 34-42 and 22-Flurey.  

amazing how authoritative i sound after reading one of your posts.  (aimed at dtslaw, but really applies to a lot who post on this board)

7 minutes ago, gorbachav5 said:

I would absolutely love for them to try out Fowler and Drysdale on a pairing.  Then you put Lindholm and Manson back together and play Shattenkirk with Fleury.  

i think Shatt and Fleury makes a lot of sense - we'll get to see whether Fleury can hustle pretty much right away, and he and the Shatt getting PP time (and hopefully some positive offensive stats) is good for the ED.  Fleury's TOI this season isn't encouraging for a 23 year old, but we'll see.  

i'm not sure it makes as much sense to put two just-off-IR players together, at least not at first.  i'm treating both 42 and 47 as pretty fragile until next preseason.

thinking about it, if they want to keep 42, 47 TOI down a bit, they might get paired with Drys and Fleury, which leaves barfy 4-22/Larsson, though maybe Mahura would get cycled in (and we play with 7 D some more games).

Ducks GM Bob Murray says he spoke with captain Ryan Getzlaf about trading him, but Getzlaf only wanted to move if Anaheim could get something significant in return to help the franchise, "and it wasn't there. He is all about the organization, whatever is best for us."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hoxxey said:

dtslaw should be the team's GM...

lol, thanks but no thanks! Gorb would never let me hear the end of how big I was on acquiring Zemgus Girgensons a few seasons ago... :lol:

5 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

I would absolutely love for them to try out Fowler and Drysdale on a pairing.  Then you put Lindholm and Manson back together and play Shattenkirk with Fleury.  

this sounds GREAT! I don't know much about Fleury...but Shatt with him just sounds great 'cause that means he's not on the top pairings lol and I love the idea of Lindholm and Manson back together.

7 hours ago, JiggyToTheCup said:

Ducks GM Bob Murray says he spoke with captain Ryan Getzlaf about trading him, but Getzlaf only wanted to move if Anaheim could get something significant in return to help the franchise, "and it wasn't there. He is all about the organization, whatever is best for us."

Just Bobs poor excuse for continuing to be a below than average GM. My bet is that he missed on a couple of good trade opportunities and couldn’t pull it through ... like usual

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoxxey said:

dtslaw should be the team's GM...

First move: Bring back Boudreau.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Lindholm was injured on February 27th and we were told he would make a full recovery and be back in about 6 weeks. February 27th was 6 weeks and 2 days ago, so you'd assume Lindholm is close to returning if no significant setbacks during his recovery. When Lindholm is back, we'll have Lindholm, Manson, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Drysdale, Fleury, and Larsson. I'm sure Larsson will get some games, but the hope would be that there aren't more significant injuries that put Larsson back in full time.

I'm curious who they'll put with Fowler now. Do they go back to 4-42 (I hope not) or do they get creative with 4-22 or maybe even 4-34??

They said last night he's done for the year. 

50 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Oh really? I missed this. They did say Lundestrom may not return this year. How bad was his appendectomy? Usually recovery time is only a few weeks.

1 hour ago, dukitup said:

OK, bummer. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't watch last night.

Two take-aways from this I suppose: (1) Bob is in full tank commander mode, and (2) Bob isn't going to showcase Lindholm's recovery from his injury for an off-season trade.

23 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

OK, bummer. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't watch last night.

Two take-aways from this I suppose: (1) Bob is in full tank commander mode, and (2) Bob isn't going to showcase Lindholm's recovery from his injury for an off-season trade.

I imagine Lindholm would be part of the future going forward...the only player who I think is on the cusp is Silfv...i think he'll end up being a transitional guy, but probably wont be part of the future big picture. But unlike Rico, will be a part of the team for a little while longer.

5 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I imagine Lindholm would be part of the future going forward...the only player who I think is on the cusp is Silfv...i think he'll end up being a transitional guy, but probably wont be part of the future big picture. But unlike Rico, will be a part of the team for a little while longer.

I'm on the other side with Silf. I think he's likely to stay. He's having a down season, but he's not a redundant skill set and GMBM loves his character. I also think Manson and Lindholm are more likely to stay. The one guy I'm 50/50 on is Rakell. My guess is that Bob approaches him about an extension this summer to take the temperature of the water, and if it's even slightly cold then Raks will get moved. I do agree on Rico too. I don't see how the bridge between Rico and the Ducks gets repaired. They did him dirty. He's a pro and he'll continue to play hard and score goals, but he's going to be moved one way or another eventually.

14 hours ago, RobD360 said:

Just Bobs poor excuse for continuing to be a below than average GM. My bet is that he missed on a couple of good trade opportunities and couldn’t pull it through ... like usual

"Like usual" also being based on wild-arse guesses.  We assume it all the time, yet no one ever brings up some excellent offer that he declined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtsdlaw said:

I'm on the other side with Silf. I think he's likely to stay. He's having a down season, but he's not a redundant skill set and GMBM loves his character. I also think Manson and Lindholm are more likely to stay. The one guy I'm 50/50 on is Rakell. My guess is that Bob approaches him about an extension this summer to take the temperature of the water, and if it's even slightly cold then Raks will get moved. I do agree on Rico too. I don't see how the bridge between Rico and the Ducks gets repaired. They did him dirty. He's a pro and he'll continue to play hard and score goals, but he's going to be moved one way or another eventually.

Oh man, I can absolutely see Murray extending all three of Lindholm, Manson and Rakell which terrifies me for the Ducks going forward and another GM will have to deal with the fallout. This summer should be entertaining at least.

The Ducks certainly did Rico dirty by putting him on waivers. Pretty quick turnaround from a nice extension to the team trying to jettison a player.

Edited by BombaysTripleDeke

2 hours ago, nieder said:

Oh really? I missed this. They did say Lundestrom may not return this year. How bad was his appendectomy? Usually recovery time is only a few weeks.

I didn't hear that about Lundestrom. Definitely heard that about Lindholm. 

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

"Like usual" also being based on wild-arse guesses.  We assume it all the time, yet no one ever brings up some excellent offer that he declined.

Some years you can look at what else was moved around the league and then feel like we've missed out. Like when many of us wanted Vermette in 2015, but Bob didn't want to give up the 1st rounder that Arizona was asking (ours became Jacob Larsson <_<). We could then look in hindsight at the fact that Chicago ended up giving up their 1st rounder for Vermette (and winning the Cup) and be ticked off that GMBM didn't pull that trade off.

But this year, oh boy is it obvious that the trades just weren't there! All that chatter before the TDL was about the prospects that Bob could have gotten for Manson or Rakell, like Robertson or Amirov from Toronto. But it was all bogus wishing. There wasn't a single A-, or B-level prospect traded at the TDL league-wide. There were also only two players acquired by playoff-bound teams who had that golden "extra year of playoff run" in them that was supposedly going to get the Ducks what they need to return to glory - Curtis Lazar (a throw-in on the Taylor Hall deal who is making $800K) and Jeff Carter (37 y/o who is rumored to be retiring after this season). So it wasn't just Rakell and Manson that didn't get moved. It was Max Domi, Dustin Brown, Rasmus Ristolainen, Olli Maata, Ryan Strome, Will Butcher, Chris Tierney, and on and on. There was just no appetite for rentals with that extra year remaining, and no teams wanted to give up good prospects before the expansion draft. All the belly-aching about Bob not doing anything... there was nothing to be done! Let's move on and see what happens this summer, when the prospects are back in play for most teams.

Edited by dtsdlaw
  • Like 3

Some years you can look at what else was moved around the league and then feel like we've missed out.

I get it when it's a feeling of frustration.  I just get frustrated myself when our assumptions and frustrations are presented as fact.  This time of year is painful to watch us get bent out of shape mostly on snowballing one assumption into many others.

Like when many of us wanted Vermette in 2015, but Bob didn't want to give up the 1st rounder that Arizona was asking (ours became Jacob Larsson <_<). We could then look in hindsight at the fact that Chicago ended up giving up their 1st rounder for Vermette (and winning the Cup) and be ticked off that GMBM didn't pull that trade off.

It was a prospect and a first, and he didn't score for the entire end of the season for the Hawks, and scored fewer goals than Cogs and the same as Thompson by the end of the WCF that year, the Centers he would have replaced.  And Thompson had a better face-off %.  He scored two more against Tampa.  See?  We're still piddleed about that when it wouldn't have likely made a difference.  In fact, we probably would have been piddleed that we lost a first-rounder (and prospect) for some who did no better than the players he replaced, and possibly worse due to Cogs superior forechecking and PK and Thompson's PK and FO.

We're also assuming that Bob didn't offer a similar package and was simply declined.  Or maybe Vermette made a request.

I mean, the dude was nominated again for the Jim Gregory that year, after having won it.  That is chosen by all the other GMs, who know what went on behind the scenes, and they thought he was one of the best three GMs of that year.  I mean, yes I get frustration, but at some point we need to know that we know barely anything that goes on behind the scenes, and when those that do select him for awards and nominations, maybe we're wrong about our assumtpions?    

But this year, oh boy is it obvious that the trades just weren't there! All that chatter before the TDL was about the prospects that Bob could have gotten for Manson or Rakell, like Robertson or Amirov from Toronto. But it was all bogus wishing. There wasn't a single A-, or B-level prospect traded at the TDL league-wide. There were also only two players acquired by playoff-bound teams who had that golden "extra year of playoff run" in them that was supposedly going to get the Ducks what they need to return to glory - Curtis Lazar (a throw-in on the Taylor Hall deal who is making $800K) and Jeff Carter (37 y/o who is rumored to be retiring after this season). So it wasn't just Rakell and Manson that didn't get moved. It was Max Domi, Dustin Brown, Rasmus Ristolainen, Olli Maata, Ryan Strome, Will Butcher, Chris Tierney, and on and on. There was just no appetite for rentals with that extra year remaining, and no teams wanted to give up good prospects before the expansion draft. All the belly-aching about Bob not doing anything... there was nothing to be done! Let's move on and see what happens this summer, when the prospects are back in play for most teams.

Agreed here.  I'm glad we didn't panic with the garbage that was floating around.

• Like 1