The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
Sexlaf15

Getzlaf’s Future

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

what I say, if you want resign him, 1 year 1-2 mio., not more. if he doesn't want for 2 mio, let him go.

1 Year 1 Million would be fine with me.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

For Getzlaf, I think it comes down to whether he needs the money.  And obviously, he probably doesn't.  Take a salary for a 1 or 2 year deal, or spend more time with the family.  There's no Stanley Cup as part of the consideration, and I don't believe he'll diss the Ducks by signing elsewhere.

At this point, I think he's going to retire.  In his most recent interview, he didn't sound like someone who was strongly considering signing a new contract and extending his career.  He's got too much class to express the frustration and embarrassment he must feel every time he Captains the team.

If $1 or $2 Million is all the Ducks are prepared to offer, I'd say it's 100% that he retires.  Why risk injury for that amount of money when he could be at home with his wife and kids?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

If $1 or $2 Million is all the Ducks are prepared to offer, I'd say it's 100% that he retires.  Why risk injury for that amount of money when he could be at home with his wife and kids?

lol, you say 1-2 mio are peanuts?? 99% of the world does not have that salary...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Spike1981 said:

lol, you say 1-2 mio are peanuts?? 99% of the world does not have that salary...

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.  Do you even bother reading the post, or do you just like to start spewing lies like Faux Newz?

I was talking about Ryan Getzlaf, not 99% of the world.  So yeah....when you've made $7-$8 Million, and then the next season you have to accept 10-20% of that, IT IS PEANUTS.

I also said that he doesn't need the money, and risking injury for a fraction of what he used to make, simply might not be too appealing to him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HockeyIzCool said:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.  Do you even bother reading the post, or do you just like to start spewing lies like Faux Newz?

I was talking about Ryan Getzlaf, not 99% of the world.  So yeah....when you've made $7-$8 Million, and then the next season you have to accept 10-20% of that, IT IS PEANUTS.

I also said that he doesn't need the money, and risking injury for a fraction of what he used to make, simply might not be too appealing to him.

if he loves the organization, he would come for 1-2 mio or retires. he had so many injuries the last 4 years.. and where he want to go? LA or SJ? only Vegas is in the near which is contending, and he wants stay in the near because family... he would go to Vegas, Ducks or retires. I would be okay if he stay with 1-2 mio to be the mentor for the kids. but we have enough other who can be mentors for the kids.

• Confused 1

On 4/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, Fisix said:

weird.  younger player with maybe, just maybe, a better potential upside, but that's about it.  and we gave away a 6th round pick.  so, with Hutton, that's two defensmen for a low end prospect and replacing a 6th with a 5th.

that's about as milquetoast as it gets, no?  at least now we know if there's any deal with Seattle, it doesn't involve those two, and probably involves Shatt and Larsson, if not a forward.

i think that means we see Larsson every game from here on out.

Hayden Fleury was a first round pick (#7).  It was a good hockey trade for both clubs.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:40 PM, Spike1981 said:

Correct,  But it would be ludicrous to compare a hockey contract to a burger flipper.

Considering that a weaker Selanne made $4M almost 10 years ago on a hometown discount, I don't think Getzy would even be offered less than that 10 years later.  Manson makes $4M, so would Getzlaf.

He is not going to make the same as Grant of Frenchy D.  Sorry, but this is almost as ridiculous as trading him for a 7th rounder.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Sorry, but this is almost as ridiculous as trading him for a 7th rounder. 

I think the offer was higher, maybe a 3th or a second... and then you should accept that offer. did anybody knows what Vegas offered?

3 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

I think the offer was higher, maybe a 3th or a second... and then you should accept that offer. did anybody knows what Vegas offered?

No so stop speculating about it. I wouldn't trade Getzlaf for a 3rd or a 2nd. He is our captain, the face of the franchise and still a darn good hockey player. And you want to trade him for spare parts?
Way to attract potential FA's. Hey, come to Anaheim but after you've given us everything you'll be moved for scraps. 

I understand it's a business and when the right deal comes along you should make a move. Hence why Getzlaf even considered waiving. But when the deal being offered is a mid round pick (if that were indeed the offer) in an even bigger crapshoot draft than ever, you decline. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DucksFan_08 said:

No so stop speculating about it. I wouldn't trade Getzlaf for a 3rd or a 2nd. He is our captain, the face of the franchise and still a darn good hockey player. And you want to trade him for spare parts?
Way to attract potential FA's. Hey, come to Anaheim but after you've given us everything you'll be moved for scraps. 

I understand it's a business and when the right deal comes along you should make a move. Hence why Getzlaf even considered waiving. But when the deal being offered is a mid round pick (if that were indeed the offer) in an even bigger crapshoot draft than ever, you decline. 

Getzlaf and retain salary for a 2nd its a no-brainer, never should that decline! for a 3th is still a nice deal. every pick we receive for Getzlaf is a win. stop with "Getzlaf is our face... blabla", this is business guys, yes he gave us a lot. this season is over, we can't win anything, make the best for the future!

we also buy out Perry for have a shot on a better team for the cup and he almost did it with Dallas... why you want to prevent it to Getzlaf? give him a shot and with Vegas he has a real shot. and if you both side wants, resign him at summer, then you have a him AND a pick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is Rumor that Retirment for Ducks Captain Ryan Getzlaf is possibility..IF he does call it quits We should be under no illusion.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

12 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Getzlaf and retain salary for a 2nd its a no-brainer, never should that decline! for a 3th is still a nice deal. every pick we receive for Getzlaf is a win. stop with "Getzlaf is our face... blabla", this is business guys, yes he gave us a lot. this season is over, we can't win anything, make the best for the future!

we also buy out Perry for have a shot on a better team for the cup and he almost did it with Dallas... why you want to prevent it to Getzlaf? give him a shot and with Vegas he has a real shot. and if you both side wants, resign him at summer, then you have a him AND a pick.

I mean, that's not we bought out Perry. We bought out Perry to get rid of the contract...Perry didn't want to leave. Getz also seems to have zero interest in chasing another cup. No one is preventing Getz from doing what he wants. If he wanted to go chase a cup, he would have. He would have requested a trade. He didn't. He said he would have only waive his NMC if the Ducks could get something back in return worth it. They couldn't. So there was no deal.

Sure, it's a business, but there is ALSO value in treating people well that can aid to having a successful business, too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

You seem to have missed the biggest point which was Vegas has ZERO cap space. I'm not even sure what you're arguing anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:59 AM, Spike1981 said:

Just want to know WHAT IF he wants to win...i can see him sign one year deal WITH another team IF he wants to win. But imho it's clear Getz wants what's best for our Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

19 hours ago, Jasoaks said:

I mean, that's not we bought out Perry. We bought out Perry to get rid of the contract...Perry didn't want to leave. Getz also seems to have zero interest in chasing another cup. No one is preventing Getz from doing what he wants. If he wanted to go chase a cup, he would have. He would have requested a trade. He didn't. He said he would have only waive his NMC if the Ducks could get something back in return worth it. They couldn't. So there was no deal.

Sure, it's a business, but there is ALSO value in treating people well that can aid to having a successful business, too.

you keep saying this, but i don't think it's true.  Corey didn't want to play the role the Ducks had in mind for him, and i think he wanted another shot at a cup, which necessitated another team.  they both did each other a favor with the buyout.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fisix said:

you keep saying this, but i don't think it's true.  Corey didn't want to play the role the Ducks had in mind for him, and i think he wanted another shot at a cup, which necessitated another team.  they both did each other a favor with the buyout.

it was in this article that I got that "sense" which maybe i'm reading into it:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-buy-out-contract-of-corey-perry/c-307908576

Just I feel like Bob would have said something like "we both thought this was best" when asked how Perry took the news instead of "it's never easy" or "this isn't fun for anybody."

I guess I'm confused on what role Perry didn't want to play...he seemed to have more of a role with the Ducks than he has in Montreal or Dallas lol but maybe that's what I was reading into, that he was more upset with being used this way and wanted to stay to be used in a different way. As opposed to leave.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

it was in this article that I got that "sense" which maybe i'm reading into it:

https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-buy-out-contract-of-corey-perry/c-307908576

Just I feel like Bob would have said something like "we both thought this was best" when asked how Perry took the news instead of "it's never easy" or "this isn't fun for anybody."

I guess I'm confused on what role Perry didn't want to play...he seemed to have more of a role with the Ducks than he has in Montreal or Dallas lol but maybe that's what I was reading into, that he was more upset with being used this way and wanted to stay to be used in a different way. As opposed to leave.

understood.  i just keep remembering Corey having this surprised look on his face when an interview asked him how he felt about taking on a new roll primarily to train up the rookies and taking a back seat otherwise.  his face and demeanor all said: "uh, wtf? no-one told me this was my new role, and i'm not all hip to that."  i think Corey might have been feeling like he could pull a Teemu with his new knee, and he wanted the team support similar to what Teemu got when he came back to the Ducks (at least initially).  it might have been a rude awakening to realize that the team was going to enter rebuild mode, and that he'd have to be out there taking his normal punishment, but for a team with at best a 50-50 chance to make it into the playoffs, and much less chance to get past a first round.  Corey wasn't ready for that, and I think it's pretty clear from his play since that he still doesn't feel ready.  I think he wants that feeling he saw Teemu have when he won with the Ducks, not so much just getting his name etched a second time, but that... feeling that goes with well-rewarded extra effort at the end of a career with a fine group of teammates.  He wants to be part of the shoulders that carry a team to the end.

anyway, i think once it came down to that, and with the team needing cap space, both sides agreed they'd be better off buying him out so that he could get snapped up for cheap by a team competing for the cup - the team lost some brain space, but gained significant cap space, and Corey got to modulate his salary so he could join the efforts of a cup-bound team.

i thought Corey did well but still wasn't really at his (age-adjusted) best while he was with Dallas.  i haven't watched his games enough this season, but his stats seem to say that he's either doing much better, OR maybe his team this season is just that much worse than Dallas was that they're putting more responsibilities on his shoulders, and he's taken that bit by the teeth.  if he doesn't get injured, i'd expect Corey to be back in the league next season.

the crazy thing - imagine if Corey and Getz end up discounting themselves so they can be on the same team again.  it's in the realm of possibility... but, sadly, i don't think the rules of buyouts allows them to team up with the Ducks until 24/25.

1 hour ago, Fisix said:

understood.  i just keep remembering Corey having this surprised look on his face when an interview asked him how he felt about taking on a new roll primarily to train up the rookies and taking a back seat otherwise.  his face and demeanor all said: "uh, wtf? no-one told me this was my new role, and i'm not all hip to that."  i think Corey might have been feeling like he could pull a Teemu with his new knee, and he wanted the team support similar to what Teemu got when he came back to the Ducks (at least initially).  it might have been a rude awakening to realize that the team was going to enter rebuild mode, and that he'd have to be out there taking his normal punishment, but for a team with at best a 50-50 chance to make it into the playoffs, and much less chance to get past a first round.  Corey wasn't ready for that, and I think it's pretty clear from his play since that he still doesn't feel ready.  I think he wants that feeling he saw Teemu have when he won with the Ducks, not so much just getting his name etched a second time, but that... feeling that goes with well-rewarded extra effort at the end of a career with a fine group of teammates.  He wants to be part of the shoulders that carry a team to the end.

anyway, i think once it came down to that, and with the team needing cap space, both sides agreed they'd be better off buying him out so that he could get snapped up for cheap by a team competing for the cup - the team lost some brain space, but gained significant cap space, and Corey got to modulate his salary so he could join the efforts of a cup-bound team.

i thought Corey did well but still wasn't really at his (age-adjusted) best while he was with Dallas.  i haven't watched his games enough this season, but his stats seem to say that he's either doing much better, OR maybe his team this season is just that much worse than Dallas was that they're putting more responsibilities on his shoulders, and he's taken that bit by the teeth.  if he doesn't get injured, i'd expect Corey to be back in the league next season.

the crazy thing - imagine if Corey and Getz end up discounting themselves so they can be on the same team again.  it's in the realm of possibility... but, sadly, i don't think the rules of buyouts allows them to team up with the Ducks until 24/25.

Yeah I could totally see that's exactly what Perry would have wanted (Teemu). And yeah I do remember those "wtf" faces lol ...i could see where it's definitely not easy to have that discussion...like if Daniel was deteriorating faster than Henrik...and the canucks had to let Daniel go and keep Henrik. I'm sure he Perry thought about that, too...not being on the same team with Getz. I don't like it anymore than he does haha in a perfect world he'd still be on the Ducks and producing at a level that was still good!

And really?? That's true about the buyout? Ugh...that makes me sad...I would like to see them play together again...but I really don't see Getzlaf signing with another team.

1 hour ago, Jasoaks said:

And really?? That's true about the buyout? Ugh...that makes me sad...I would like to see them play together again...but I really don't see Getzlaf signing with another team.

you made me look it up.  it appears that a team can buy out a player and then immediately resign them for less, giving the player a dual paycheck.

there is a 1 year ban on resigning a bought out player if the buyout was a compliance buyout, and i'm 99% certain that Perry's buyout was an ordinary course buyout, not a compliance buyout.  it doesn't matter at this point, regardless.

so, that cuts both ways.  they could both rejoin the Ducks at lower contract rates for next year, which might have been their long term plan, but because Corey could have rejoined immediately and didn't, that seems to me to make it unlikely that he'd rejoin just to hang with Getz on an underperforming team.  Perry doing well this year probably makes Getz' decision to stay with the Ducks or possibly join Corey somewhere else a harder decision to make.  Perry is seeing real successes.  Getz might be drawn to that, and to his old pal.  unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the Ducks have on offer what Perry would want to come back, aside from playing with Getz, so if the twins DO play together next season, the chances it being on the Ducks are probably pretty low.

15 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Just want to know WHAT IF he wants to win...i can see him sign one year deal WITH another team IF he wants to win. But imho it's clear Getz wants what's best for our Ducks.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

sorry, no matter what the organisation means to you, its stupid to not try go for a cup. in 10 years you looked back to your career and regret that you not tried to win an other cup! because IF he wants the best for the Ducks, he have to retire end of season (or resign for 1-3 mio. with Ducks). if he goes in that summer to an other team... that would be a joke.

22 hours ago, g20topdogg said:

You seem to have missed the biggest point which was Vegas has ZERO cap space.

you can retain 75% (in a 3way trade as CBJ made it twice) of the salary, so Vegas must "only" make space for 2 mio. but of course that could be the issue...

Edited by Spike1981

by the way, you really want him as a mentor? a guy who has the chance to go after a cup with an other team and not wants try to win a cup (I would not think about it one second), decided he wants to stay here, play a little and let it be (you can see when he wants to play it and when he doesn't-> in this game you not notice him at all at the positive side) ...

that you want as our mentor and C? for me is that a losing culture... and I don't want that in our team, I don't want the Ducks become a second Sabres! from taking a spot away from a kid I not even talking...

Edited by Spike1981
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

by the way, you really want him as a mentor? a guy who has the chance to go after a cup with an other team and not wants try to win a cup (I would not think about it one second), decided he wants to stay here, play a little and let it be (you can see when he wants to play it and when he doesn't-> in this game you not notice him at all at the positive side) ...

that you want as our mentor and C? for me is that a losing culture... and I don't want that in our team, I don't want the Ducks become a second Sabres! from taking a spot away from a kid I not even talking...

Give it a rest already. You start to make less sense with eacht post and you dind't start off with a lot of sense to begin with.

Getzlaf has won The Cup. He's been nominated (at least twice I think) for the Mark Messier Leadership Award. Yes I want him to mentor the younglings. 
Were you following The Ducks when Ryan Getzlaf blocked a puck with his face in the Playoffs against Dallas? I think he scored something like 15 points afterwards. That's not losing culture. That's a tough as nails hockey player who has given his all for this franchise.

Did Getzlaf beat you out as a kid on some peewee hockeyteam or something because it seems personal.

• Like 3

Did Getzlaf beat you out as a kid on some peewee hockeyteam or something because it seems personal.

no I beat his child:)

Were you following The Ducks when Ryan Getzlaf blocked a puck with his face in the Playoffs against Dallas? I think he scored something like 15 points afterwards. That's not losing culture. That's a tough as nails hockey player who has given his all for this franchise.

he gave us a lot over 10 years, no doubt. I live in the now and in the last 1-2 seasons I missed this mentality. he had some good games in this 2 seasons, no doubt, but as I said, you see when he has will and when he doesn't have will to play. its better you retire before that, especially if you don't want go try win a cup. if I could, I would as fast as the wind go to a contender, only reason to stay: its my last season and I want to retire as a Duck, thats the ONLY reason I would not go to a contender this season! if he retires after this season, its okay. but if not, I can't understand. every top player is dogged (don't know if I used the right word) to win. look at all dominators in every sport. Schuhmacher, Armstrong (a little to much), Federer ect. they want one thing: WIN, WIN, WIN!

7 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

sorry, no matter what the organisation means to you, its stupid to not try go for a cup. in 10 years you looked back to your career and regret that you not tried to win an other cup! because IF he wants the best for the Ducks, he have to retire end of season (or resign for 1-3 mio. with Ducks). if he goes in that summer to an other team... that would be a joke.

you can retain 75% (in a 3way trade as CBJ made it twice) of the salary, so Vegas must "only" make space for 2 mio. but of course that could be the issue...

It's ok if you Feel that way i understand. Need is always what is best for our Ducks...Getz knows and if Bob Knows it well he should step down....Retirement is one of many choices he has. I will be covering this on my Vlog on Youtube in coming days once this season concludes.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

We're still right there with the bottom group of teams, and even have a shot at the #1 pick as the gap between us and Buffalo is only 4 points, and the Sabres have a game in hand.

The whole idea that a couple of wins down the stretch is a good thing, and will carry over to next season, is Ridiculous.  This was not a good team on Day 1, it's not a good team today, and if changes are not made during the off season, it will be an awful team come September.  There is no such thing as carryover of momentum to a season that won't begin for at least another 5 months.

The lower we finish overall, the better the pick we'll be able to lay claim to.  While there's no guarantees, one thing is clear, the lower the finish in the standings, the better the pick we'll be in the running for in the lottery.  I believe a team can only fall 3 slots, meaning the worst team will pick no lower than 4th, and has the best odds of picking 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

So yeah, I'd much rather have the chance of picking up a player who can be Ducks property for years to come, rather than reach 45 points, only to finish ahead of 4 other teams, yet still be looking back on one of the worst seasons in Ducks' history.

• Like 2

All of this chatter about Getzlaf possibly retiring, makes me think it's looking more likely than not.  In his recent interview, he did not come out and give a truly affirmative answer as to whether he intends to return next season.  I understand that's partially a negotiating ploy, but he still could have indicated that he truly wanted to play with the Ducks next season, and would be going into the off season with an eye on getting a new contract.  Instead, he's talking about re-evaluating after the season, and going from there.

I find it highly unlikely that he's going to bolt, a la PK, and leave the Ducks with nothing to show for it.  That would be a huge diss of the Ducks, knowing that they were going to lose him, that he's not going to retire as a career long Ducks member, combined with the fact they could have at least received something in return had they traded him at the deadline.

I also don't think the Ducks have told him that it's time for the club to move on, and that they don't want him to return.  I tend to believe it's up to Getzlaf at this point.  The Ducks may very well be asking him to take a cut in pay, which he would likely have even if he signed elsewhere, so the puck is probably on Getz' stick, and the decision is up to him.  I hope he doesn't take the same route that Scottie did, and retire when he still has at least a year or 2 of quality play in him, but given the state of the Ducks, I can see how he might.

40 minutes ago, HockeyIzCool said:

All of this chatter about Getzlaf possibly retiring, makes me think it's looking more likely than not.  In his recent interview, he did not come out and give a truly affirmative answer as to whether he intends to return next season.  I understand that's partially a negotiating ploy, but he still could have indicated that he truly wanted to play with the Ducks next season, and would be going into the off season with an eye on getting a new contract.  Instead, he's talking about re-evaluating after the season, and going from there.

I find it highly unlikely that he's going to bolt, a la PK, and leave the Ducks with nothing to show for it.  That would be a huge diss of the Ducks, knowing that they were going to lose him, that he's not going to retire as a career long Ducks member, combined with the fact they could have at least received something in return had they traded him at the deadline.

I also don't think the Ducks have told him that it's time for the club to move on, and that they don't want him to return.  I tend to believe it's up to Getzlaf at this point.  The Ducks may very well be asking him to take a cut in pay, which he would likely have even if he signed elsewhere, so the puck is probably on Getz' stick, and the decision is up to him.  I hope he doesn't take the same route that Scottie did, and retire when he still has at least a year or 2 of quality play in him, but given the state of the Ducks, I can see how he might.

Come on. Getzlaf will do the Teemu thing. He'll evaluate everything during the off season and make a decision about returning or not. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HockeyIzCool said:

He'll definitely be taking a pay cut from his current $8.25M cap hit. But he'll also be over 35 years old, so his contract can include performance bonuses if it's a 1-year deal. If he does come back, it would make sense to do something like $4M base salary and $2.5M in performance bonuses. That way his earning potential is truly on him.

But I agree with dukitup that he's more likely to do the Teemu thing - i.e. he's not going anywhere else, and it'll just be a matter of evaluating where the Ducks are each summer and then deciding if he wants to return when the dust settles on free agency. That said, I can't see Getzlaf returning to another terrible team next season. If our depth down the middle is still Zegras-Steel-Lundestrom-Grant after the second day of unrestricted free agency, I think the Ducks can start planning the jersey retirement ceremony. 

6 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

no I beat his child:)

he gave us a lot over 10 years, no doubt. I live in the now and in the last 1-2 seasons I missed this mentality. he had some good games in this 2 seasons, no doubt, but as I said, you see when he has will and when he doesn't have will to play. its better you retire before that, especially if you don't want go try win a cup. if I could, I would as fast as the wind go to a contender, only reason to stay: its my last season and I want to retire as a Duck, thats the ONLY reason I would not go to a contender this season! if he retires after this season, its okay. but if not, I can't understand. every top player is dogged (don't know if I used the right word) to win. look at all dominators in every sport. Schuhmacher, Armstrong (a little to much), Federer ect. they want one thing: WIN, WIN, WIN!

I will never understand people that think they should be able to tell somebody else when they should retire.

6 minutes ago, nieder said:

I will never understand people that think they should be able to tell somebody else when they should retire.

did you see the people on twitter actually shaming Marleau for his achievement?? that it wasn't deserved or he should have retired before it happened???? or even like...doesn't count? i just don't get it....