The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Expansion Draft Interactive Website

Cool Thanks Chop. I use this Website for my go to in Ducks Salary Cap.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

37 minutes ago, dukitup said:

Interesting, had no idea Josh Mahura wasn't ED eligible right now.

He's eligible to be selected by Seattle, but not eligible to be used as the guy we HAVE to expose per the ED rules - i.e. we have to expose at least one defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 27 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 54 NHL games in the prior two seasons. He's 16 games short and is an RFA this summer, so he meets neither requirement. 

• Thanks 3

I would protect:

Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, Volkov

Lindholm, Manson, Fluery, Mahura

Gibson

Protecting Rakell and Manson primarily for their trade value.  Fowler is playing better, but his contract is too rich at $6.5 MM/yr for the next 5 years with a NTC.  I don't see the Ducks as a Cup contender for at least another 4 years, by which time Cam will be 33.  I think Mahura will be a better player than Fowler by then, and cost a lot less.

If those were the protected players, who do you think Seattle would take?  What's your protect list?

Edited by CAsFirstCup

21 hours ago, CAsFirstCup said:

I would protect:

Gibson

Protecting Rakell and Manson primarily for their trade value.  Fowler is playing better, but his contract is too rich at $6.5 MM/yr for the next 5 years with a NTC.  I don't see the Ducks as a Cup contender for at least another 4 years, by which time Cam will be 33.  I think Mahura will be a better player than Fowler by then, and cost a lot less.

If those were the protected players, who do you think Seattle would take?  What's your protect list?

Good Choice right there...I have different Protected List imho simliar to yours.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, ChopSuey said:

Would not mind IF our Ducks draft another American Center...I am Also hope they can get another First Rounder.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

On 5/10/2021 at 3:32 AM, CAsFirstCup said:

I would protect:

Gibson

I always thought the 7/3/1 would be better because you can protect 2 more players...

but if I look at our defense... Lindholm, Fowler, Manson and Fleury I would protect. Offense is way too harder, Terry and Rakell are fix. Is Mahura really that good? maybe go with 5 defenders.... Volkov I don't would protect, I like more Milano (had good numbers but few games), Lundestrom and I think Silfy has the best trade value from the rest.

then Seattle would choose between Henrique, Shattenkirk, Stolarz, Volkov, Mahura, Jones, Steel, Milano/Silfverberg.

its difficult to say who they would take... I don't know the other teams available goalies, (they have to take 2 or 3 goalies?) but Stolarz would be a good fit for them and I would be okay with that.

I heard the "crash the pond" podcast and they said an interesting thing: let expose Fowler because his very bad contract. I am right with that, so go with 7/3:

Gibson

Lindholm, Fowler, Fleury

Rakell, Terry, Lundestrom, Steel, Jones, Silfverberg and Volkov.

let expose Henrique, Fowler, Shatt with bad contracts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Spike1981 said:

I heard the "crash the pond" podcast and they said an interesting thing: let expose Fowler because his very bad contract. I am right with that, so go with 7/3:

Gibson

Lindholm, Fowler, Fleury

Interesting....but IF that fails Ducks should make a Deal with Seattle and another team via Trade.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

2 hours ago, Spike1981 said:

Gibson

Lindholm, Fowler, Fleury

I questioned Fowler contract 3 years ago. Before signing his extension, he was a valuable trade bate, something similar to what Oleg Tverdovsky was when it brought us Teemy Selanne. Now, it's hard to move his contract because it's listed as 10 worst contracts in the entire NHL by some hockey writers.

[The Athletic] Cam Fowler listed as top 10 worst contracts in the NHL : AnaheimDucks (reddit.com)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

Interesting....but IF that fails Ducks should make a Deal with Seattle and another team via Trade.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Like the one Vodka Bob made costing us Theodore?  Not a chance.  Expose the players and Seattle has to take one from every team.  The less Vodka negotiates the better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChopSuey said:

Like the one Vodka Bob made costing us Theodore?  Not a chance.  Expose the players and Seattle has to take one from every team.  The less Vodka negotiates the better.

I still beleive Ducks should have at least given Draft Pick in return for Theo.....makes me SMH everytime I think about it.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, FanSince1993 said:

I questioned Fowler contract 3 years ago. Before signing his extension, he was a valuable trade bate, something similar to what Oleg Tverdovsky was when it brought us Teemy Selanne. Now, it's hard to move his contract because it's listed as 10 worst contracts in the entire NHL by some hockey writers.

[The Athletic] Cam Fowler listed as top 10 worst contracts in the NHL : AnaheimDucks (reddit.com)

that is an idiotic ranking, and the explanation for Cam's ranking is even worse.  i see cam play, and i see other defensemen around the league play, and what they're paid, and whoever wrote that reddit post is on meth.

cam's contract is plenty attractive, just more so on a team with a working offense (and a better d linemate).  the Shatt's contract is the bad one, and we're paying too much for injury time with Manson and Lindholm, even IF their stats are decent when they actually skate.

did they rank Getz' contract too?

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Fisix said:

that is an idiotic ranking, and the explanation for Cam's ranking is even worse.  i see cam play, and i see other defensemen around the league play, and what they're paid, and whoever wrote that reddit post is on meth.

cam's contract is plenty attractive, just more so on a team with a working offense (and a better d linemate).  the Shatt's contract is the bad one, and we're paying too much for injury time with Manson and Lindholm, even IF their stats are decent when they actually skate.

did they rank Getz' contract too?

Yeah, i can only assume this article was meant for "shock" value as they also have doughty as #2...while not a great contract, the guy is still a great D.

Just like other lists that have most overrated goalies and have Price. Like...come on...literally Price is on every list. Most overrated goalies. Best goalies in the league/world. Best bang for your buck contracts. Worst goalie contracts.

Like....cam isn't even the worst contract on the Ducks lol 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, MooseDuck said:

I still beleive Ducks should have at least given Draft Pick in return for Theo.....makes me SMH everytime I think about it.

Except we used the opportunity to bury the Stoner contract.  Plus, the other two options unprotected were Vatanen and Manson.  That was Bettman's game, changing the rules after we had contracted players.

It was well worth the trade at the time, and IMO still is given the corner each team was painted into.  We were a team "in the window," so had a lot of depth with not a lot of protection in the new expansion rules.  We did not have the leverage to ask for picks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gotchabari said:

Except we used the opportunity to bury the Stoner contract.  Plus, the other two options unprotected were Vatanen and Manson.  That was Bettman's game, changing the rules after we had contracted players.

It was well worth the trade at the time, and IMO still is given the corner each team was painted into.  We were a team "in the window," so had a lot of depth with not a lot of protection in the new expansion rules.  We did not have the leverage to ask for picks.

smh.....then I guess Ducks gotta with the Dice in this off season this year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

4 hours ago, MooseDuck said:

smh.....then I guess Ducks gotta with the Dice in this off season this year.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

This year, we at least knew what was coming.  It still is a sucky system, but REALLY sucks when they pull it on you after you set up some contracts.

19 hours ago, gotchabari said:

This year, we at least knew what was coming.  It still is a sucky system, but REALLY sucks when they pull it on you after you set up some contracts.

Don't remind those were tolerable contracts I hope we see the LAST of them....Yet I just hope this team DOES something outside of their Comfort Zone.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

Looking at our roster from a few different angles, is there any chance GMBM goes 8 skaters so he can protect 5 D-men?

Protect: Rakell, Silf, Terry, Fowler, Lindholm, Manson, Shattenkirk, Fleury

Expose: Rico, Steel, Lundestrom, Jones, Heinan, Milano, Grant, Deslauriers, Volkov, Mahura, Larsson, Guhle

A lot of commentators seem to expect that Shattenkirk will be exposed, but I'm just not so sure Bob will do that after chasing him so hard in UFA for multiple years. I also think Fleury did enough at the end of the season to make him jump a few of our young forwards on the "should keep" list. And I can't really look at that list of exposed players and think "dang, that kid's going to be a star" or "the Ducks will be significantly worse if they lose that guy." Given the dearth of high end talent on the forward lines, 3F-5D could be a real possibility with this group.

I still think it's most likely Bob makes a deal prior to the ED so that he can control the narrative, but its interesting how many different ways it could shake out for this team depending on where Bob's head is at with the exposure list.

there's just no good reason to protect the Shatt in the ED.  zero.  Seattle would never pick him after this season's performance, not over any of the other Ducks defensemen that would necessarily be exposed, let alone the other D men that'll be available over the rest of the league.  plus, if memory serves, Shatt indicated in a preseason interview that he expected to at least be considered as part of a possible deal to Seattle.

like you, i'm sort of expecting BM to have a deal in place.  we aren't going to like it, but we could have acquired Volkov and Fleury to sweeten the stank of Seattle picking the Shatt instead of one of our other D-men (palatable D-men - Larsson probably isn't one of those).  

the only issue, really, is that stuff changed sooooo much since plans were made at the beginning of the season, and i think they were still in flux after the trades to get Volkov and Fleury here - certainly both players have increased their value since the trades.  i don't know of there's parachute clauses in these ED trade deals, but if there's a way for Seattle to exit or modify a deal that was in place even shortly after the trade deadline, i'd expect them to exercise it, potentially leaving BM without an ED planned deal.  if that's the case... i think BM would tend towards 7 and 3, but i guess there's a chance that he'd go with the flex 8 and maybe load up on his favorite Dmen and a few of the cheaper better Fs. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 5:10 PM, ChopSuey said:

at this moment when we made it, is an okay move, I saw it as a win deal then and I am still okay with that. Of course its hard to see Theo that good now, but look Karlsson, nothing in Anaheim, nothing in Columbus and then over 70 points in Vegas.. you were contender and don't want lose Vatanen or Manson for nothing, the team was build to win and Theo was that good till then.

• Thanks 1

I´d hate to see Lundestrom or Mahura go. I think we can expose Silfverberg and that he won´t get picked because of contract and surgery.

If BM doesn´t have a deal in place and Manson is exposed I think it´s him.

• Like 1

to be honest, I am very nervous and afraid BM will do something stupid before he resigns after next season. Something like extending his favorite player Manson for 8 years with NTC, sign some 33 y/o defenseman for 7 years/$50 mil or trading away half of this team for Eichel. The best scenario for him would be to do NOTHING, because I have zero faith in him.

Edited by FanSince1993
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, gorbachav5 said:

If we're talking what Murray SHOULD do, I'd protect Lundestrom, Jones, and Mahura over Silf, Manson, and Shattenkirk.  But this absolutely seems like something Murray COULD do.

I can't see the case for protecting Mahura under any circumstances. He's got some offensive talent, but he genuinely sucks at defending and he makes horrible decisions under pressure. The NHL game is just too fast and heavy for him. A 22-year-old Mahura couldn't even beat out Larsson or Welinski for a roster spot with the Ducks this season, and they even preferred to play Drysdale on his offside instead of putting Mahura in. Mahura is now 23 and is an RFA this summer, and I'm not even sure he can make the case that he deserves a 1-way contract next season. Honestly, the Mahura hype borders on Jiri Sekac hype for me, with fans clamoring for him to get a spot in the lineup because he has some flashy offensive skills, but in reality he is such a one-trick pony with such severe limitations in other essential parts of his game that he has no business being there. The organization knows it too, or else they don't make that Fleury trade. They've also got the rights to LHDs LaCombe and Thrun, and three of the top four D prospects in this draft (Power, Hughes, and Edvinsson) are all LHDs. There's no way Mahura deserves a protected spot given all that. In fact, he's a guy I would be more than happy to use as a sweetener to get a deal done. I get that fans are scarred from losing Shea Theodore to Vegas, but Mahura ain't Theo. 

Lundestrom I like, and I would definitely protect him over Shattenkirk, but I have this feeling that GMBM is too stubborn to admit that signing was a mistake, which is essentially what he would be doing by exposing him. Lundestrom seems to project long terms as a defensive-minded 3C, and since that might also be Steel's ceiling, I don't see it hurting the franchise that much if one of them is lost to the ED. I'm also not sure Lundy plays as "fast" as GMBM says he wants them to play. His instinct appears to be to slow down the play the way the Ducks used to play when Getz and Pears were dominating. Jones I like too and it'd be great to keep him. But Jones has had a hard time staying healthy, and his ceiling is basically a middle-6 grinder who can kill penalties. Basically a Cedric Paquette or William Carrier type of guy. You need those guys to fill out your roster, but do you use valuable ED protected spots on them? It's a close call for me in both Jones' and Lundy's case. I might offer a 3rd round pick to steer Seattle away from Jones and Lundestrom and towards someone like Steel or Volkov and see if they'd bite. Or maybe trade them Steel if they agree to take Volkov. Something like that.

I also still think Silfverberg will bring more value to this team than any of those guys, and he should be in consideration for a C if Getzlaf doesn't return and we need a bridge to the next long-term C (Zegras?). I also think Manson's trade value is still high enough that keeping him retains more value for the organization than losing one of those players, whose ceiling is as a middle-6 forward. 

Edited by dtsdlaw

12 hours ago, DucksFan_08 said:

I´d hate to see Lundestrom or Mahura go. I think we can expose Silfverberg and that he won´t get picked because of contract and surgery.

If BM doesn´t have a deal in place and Manson is exposed I think it´s him.

He should have some Deal in Place I hope....No need for the Ducks to have repeat of VGK Expansion Draft.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

9 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Mahura plays better than the Shatt, so there’s that. 

Separately, I don’t think you’re remembering that even Shatt knew he could be trade bait for Seattle. There’s no long term plan for him, nothing BM needs to double down on. 

• Like 1

don't forget that part of the strategy of who played when and how often was to make the Shatt and Larsson look as attractive as possible to be bait for Seattle (and to make Mahura sneak under the radar if at all possible) - or, at least that's my take on how to make sense of it all.  there's a chance we wouldn't have seen Mahura at all this season if there hadn't been so many injuries... and from what i saw this year, it wasn't because Mahura is unskilled.  

sort of sucks - Cam was brought up too quickly, and Mahura has been allowed to languish all for strategy's sake.  he really shouldn't have been on the taxi squad as much as he was this year.

Edited by Fisix

Rico having himself quite a week at the World Championships in Latvia. 4G/5A in 7 games. Trade/ED value on the rebound?