Jump to content
The Official Site of the Anaheim Ducks
ChopSuey

Def Zone and Neutral Zone Turnovers

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

How can a coach not get this corrected?  Pretty basic issue.....Hard to compete when you cant keep possession.

Another reason why Dallas Eakins as Ducks Head Coach has lead me to question IF he was the Right choice.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

How can a coach not get this corrected?  Pretty basic issue.....Hard to compete when you cant keep possession.

agreed...they need a defensive system...

I understand the value of "let the players figure it out" but it doesn't seem to really be giving us any sort of desirable results....at a certain point you have to be like, ok, this isn't working...we need to come up with a system that utilizes players strengths and supports their weaknesses

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

agreed...they need a defensive system...

I understand the value of "let the players figure it out" but it doesn't seem to really be giving us any sort of desirable results....at a certain point you have to be like, ok, this isn't working...we need to come up with a system that utilizes players strengths and supports their weaknesses

Coaches like Boudreau, who adjust their systems and coaching style to maximize the players' talents and get more out of less, are not really welcome in Anaheim. We seek only rigid, process-based coaches who demand that the players adjust to their outdated and ineffective systems. "Trust the pro-cess" as Randy used to say (as the Ducks were out-shot 35-20 on a nightly basis). It's the Bob Murray way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dtsdlaw said:

Coaches like Boudreau, who adjust their systems and coaching style to maximize the players' talents and get more out of less, are not really welcome in Anaheim. We seek only rigid, process-based coaches who demand that the players adjust to their outdated and ineffective systems. "Trust the pro-cess" as Randy used to say (as the Ducks were out-shot 35-20 on a nightly basis). It's the Bob Murray way.

I'm shocked Eakins isn't more that way...especially with how much all the players talk about how much they like him and how he's even re-sparked players love for the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jasoaks said:

I'm shocked Eakins isn't more that way...especially with how much all the players talk about how much they like him and how he's even re-sparked players love for the game.

Everyone says Eakins is a nice guy.  Newsflash...The guy isn't there to make friends.  Its a business.  Moron Bob went from RC (Similar to an unliked prison warden) to a guy from Cheers Bar.   I think firing Boudreau was a huge mistake.  When dealing with adult players you have to mold the team style around the talent you have or change the people/ players.  Boozer Bob swung from one extreme to another, again proving his incompetence as a manager of a business and people / players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Everyone says Eakins is a nice guy.  Newsflash...The guy isn't there to make friends.  Its a business.  Moron Bob went from RC (Similar to an unliked prison warden) to a guy from Cheers Bar.   I think firing Boudreau was a huge mistake.  When dealing with adult players you have to mold the team style around the talent you have or change the people/ players.  Boozer Bob swung from one extreme to another, again proving his incompetence as a manager of a business and people / players.

Clearly Bob is out of touch and it shows in past few years.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChopSuey said:

Everyone says Eakins is a nice guy.  Newsflash...The guy isn't there to make friends.  Its a business.  Moron Bob went from RC (Similar to an unliked prison warden) to a guy from Cheers Bar.   I think firing Boudreau was a huge mistake.  When dealing with adult players you have to mold the team style around the talent you have or change the people/ players.  Boozer Bob swung from one extreme to another, again proving his incompetence as a manager of a business and people / players.

I read somewhere that it wasn't that Boudreau was truly fired rather they had a mutual parting of ways.. Apparently Bruce was upset because Murray overruled him and forced him to start Gibson over Andersen during the 2016 playoffs. He felt Gibson wasn't ready. But yeah, letting Boudreau go and replacing him with Carlyle was a bonehead move. Murray hired Eakin because he can control Eakin instead of going after one of several more proven(and stronger willed) coaches that were available at the time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shadowduck said:

I read somewhere that it wasn't that Boudreau was truly fired rather they had a mutual parting of ways.. Apparently Bruce was upset because Murray overruled him and forced him to start Gibson over Andersen during the 2016 playoffs. He felt Gibson wasn't ready. But yeah, letting Boudreau go and replacing him with Carlyle was a bonehead move. Murray hired Eakin because he can control Eakin instead of going after one of several more proven(and stronger willed) coaches that were available at the time.

Ugggh was THAT why we started Gibson??? I remember being so confused by that on so many levels...we all knew Freddie was gonna be traded in the off-season...why start Gibson when you can showcase your off season trade asset???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

The answer is pretty simply that we thought Gibson was a better goaltender than Andersen, particularly in the playoffs where Andersen struggled (and has continued to be inconsistent).  I don't know if that rumor is true or not, but it's not unreasonable to suggest that Gibson was considered the better goalie for that scenario.

at THAT point? I don't think it was as clear...Freddie had just taken the Ducks to Game 7 of the WCF...although, yeah Gibson did have better numbers that season...so I could see that on a stats perspective. But yeah, it was still pretty close. Freddie did have more experience and also did actually play better in the playoffs than Gibson did.

But really, clearly, Khudobin should have started...

Edited by Jasoaks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, Jasoaks said:

agreed...they need a defensive system...

I understand the value of "let the players figure it out" but it doesn't seem to really be giving us any sort of desirable results....at a certain point you have to be like, ok, this isn't working...we need to come up with a system that utilizes players strengths and supports their weaknesses

Defensive System needs to be Fixed.....Too Many Defensive Breakdowns we saw during the past few months.

DuckPride 4ever

MooseDuck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gorbachav5 said:

Where he promptly pooped the bed. 

Well yeah, sure, everything's bad if you remember it! ... :P

But yeah, I see your point. There can be a legitimate argument for going with Gibson.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, dtsdlaw said:

Coaches like Boudreau, who adjust their systems and coaching style to maximize the players' talents and get more out of less, are not really welcome in Anaheim. 

Isn't that the coach that, famously, has been knocked out of the playoffs with several great teams because he specifically couldn't adjust while his opponents were?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On turnovers in general, does it bother anyone else how our announcers handle those?

"Shattenkirk's pass intercepted..."  No, it went exactly to the person he passed it to.  No Duck nearby, and stick-to-stick pass of a stationary opponent.  That's not an interception, that's a bad pass.  "Shattenkirk makes a terrible decision to pass it to..." should be the description.

"Geztlaf passes it behind the net..." where nobody is waiting or even heading.  How about "Miscommunication as no one there to receive Getzlaf's pass," or "Getzlaf turns it over behind the net"?  It would be much more accurate.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gotchabari said:

Isn't that the coach that, famously, has been knocked out of the playoffs with several great teams because he specifically couldn't adjust while his opponents were?

Non sequitur. You're talking about in-game tactics and match ups. There's a difference between in-game tactics and systems. Carlyle was known as a good in-game tactician, but the systems he forced his players to play just didn't work without elite level talent at every position. Eakins, well, I don't know in what universe his systems would work.

Boudreau was not a great in-game tactician (in game 7s at least), but Boudreau was outstanding at adjusting his systems to maximize talent and put players in the best position to succeed over the course of a season. The examples are numerous from his time in Anaheim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dtsdlaw said:

Eakins, well, I don't know in what universe his systems would work

AHL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gotchabari said:

Isn't that the coach that, famously, has been knocked out of the playoffs with several great teams because he specifically couldn't adjust while his opponents were?

I do find it funny that Boudreau got the blame for the game 7 losses instead of the players, but he doesn't get the credit for getting his teams to the game 7 situation in the first place?

Now the team can't even sniff the playoffs. Obviously the roster is no longer as talented, but if you told me the team would make the playoffs and get to game 7 with Boudreau I'd be pretty happy to roll the dice with him in that situation.
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nieder said:

I do find it funny that Boudreau got the blame for the game 7 losses instead of the players, but he doesn't get the credit for getting his teams to the game 7 situation in the first place?

Now the team can't even sniff the playoffs. Obviously the roster is no longer as talented, but if you told me the team would make the playoffs and get to game 7 with Boudreau I'd be pretty happy to roll the dice with him in that situation.
 

Exactly. If you really take an objective look at the rosters of BB's teams you can see how deficient they actually were. That 2010 Caps team that won the President's Trophy had BB relying on a very young defense (Green-24, Schultz-23, Alzner-21, Carlson-22) and an old Jose Theodore rotating with two 21-year-old rookies (Varlamov and Neuvirth) in net. They weren't built for the playoffs at all, but Boudreau is the one who got crushed for them losing the 1st round. Similarly, our 2013-14 team that finished 1 point out of the President's Trophy had center depth that was basically Getzlaf, Bonino, Perreault, and a 39-year-old Koivu. But Boudreau again got crushed because they lost a Game 7 to the Kings' center depth of Kopitar-Carter-Richards-Stoll. Even our 2015 team, the best we've had since 2009, had Beleskey and Maroon as our top-2 LWs and a 21-year-old Rakell (who contributed only 1 point in the entire 2015 playoffs) as our 3C, yet they still made Game 7 of the WCF.

I still maintain that the playoff losses were as much about exposing the deficiencies of Boudreau's rosters as exposing Boudreau's trouble with in-game tactics.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...